• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
k0n0Ppw.jpg

There it is.

This is all so amazing. I cant believe its real.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Naruto Shippuden:Episode 372

Sakura:"So do you see me as some sort of weak woman who can't keep up with you ?"

Oh God she's self aware.

The worst shounen dad returns and gets a free power up to boot.

I don't get how suddenly everyone is able to use Doton chakra nature but alright, Shikamaru's genius apparently transcends the ninja physics.

Hiroyuki Yamashita is an animation director for 375. Hype !

Worst shounen dad is Goku.

Thoraxes

Space Dandy - 21

Holy fuck. Talk about elder god-tier episodes of shows.

The music, setting, story, and art was just sublime. There's no words for the emotions I felt when watching this episode. Just gorgeous in every way imaginable.

mankoto

To shed some light on that, the roaches are quick learners. Presumably, when Bugs 1 came around and all they had were guns for defense, the roaches more than likely picked up on the fact that they were harmful and saved them until they were needed. And the humans coming back to Mars was it.

Syrinx

Terra Formars OVA

Once upon a time, mankind had a dream. A dream of conquering a dark and inhospitable country, and making it more like our own. But despite all our efforts, one thing stood in our way; repellent giant savages, more like vermin than true man, simply would not stand by and let their betters conquer their pathetic homeland for some unfathomable reason. So you see, we really had no choice but to try and kill them all. It was the moral thing to do; you might even call it the final solution.

#ANIME
Is anime actually dead this time?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sabagebu! Episode 8:

It appears that fighting off perversion transcends genders or something. Anyway, stolen jokes from YuruYuri aside it was nice to see some actual survival games happen for once.

Terra Formars OVA

Once upon a time, mankind had a dream. A dream of conquering a dark and inhospitable country, and making it more like our own. But despite all our efforts, one thing stood in our way; repellent giant savages, more like vermin than true man, simply would not stand by and let their betters conquer their pathetic homeland for some unfathomable reason. So you see, we really had no choice but to try and kill them all. It was the moral thing to do; you might even call it the final solution.

#ANIME

Terraformars to be an instant List classic.

Space Dandy - 21

Holy fuck. Talk about elder god-tier episodes of shows.

The music, setting, story, and art was just sublime. There's no words for the emotions I felt when watching this episode. Just gorgeous in every way imaginable.

image.php

I agree. I wrote my only lengthy episode review and analysis on some shit for this episode, it was THAT good. NEED DAT BLU-RAY

Worst shounen dad is Goku.

You serious?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looking at some images of the recent episode it looks like they portrayed some censored foreplay? But I have some anime magazine somewhere in my apartment and I remember an ad for a yaoi show and they were clearly having sex in one of the pictures so...
World's First Love had actual gay relationships... although OVAs are almost always more explicit.

Soma

I even started getting misty at the end and I can't even explain why.

And me too! I NEED IT.

I've watched the ending sequence a few times already and it still gets me every time.

Today I started looking into the band Ogre You Asshole as a result since their music was featured in this episode.

Pretty nice band!

Ging is by far the worst shonen father. He's like the antitheses of the typical legendary battle shonen father. He's more known for being a huge dick and abandoning his kid then for being a good hunter.

Space Dandy is gonna be a serious AOTY contester for me at this rate. S2 has been so good.

With a few more good episodes like that it'll be AOTS for sure.
I kind of keep forgetting about it in my head though, despite how S2 has been faring.
Definitely top 3 at least from that last episode.

So I just read Bugs II and I guess I can understand why they made it a 2 part OVA, maybe at best they could have stretched it into 3 episodes but that's really all the content that there is. Still feel like they should have just made these the first 3-4 episodes of the anime instead of making it a prologue OVA

Branduil

So I just read Bugs II and I guess I can understand why they made it a 2 part OVA, maybe at best they could have stretched it into 3 episodes but that's really all the content that there is. Still feel like they should have just made these the first 3-4 episodes of the anime instead of making it a prologue OVA

I feel like they shouldn't have made it.

Yes, Bugs II needs to be longer. They also should have showed Bugs I in a 3-5 minute cold opening since that's somewhat important.

Kieli

Could AnimeGAF give me a quick lowdown on whether or not Log Horizon is worth my time?

I see that it's getting a second season, and I would like to keep up with more shows.

It's not like SAO in any way, is it?

Is that chapter 0 as I skipped that? I always assume chapter 0's are just the protoype chapter I guess I'll check it out.

Yeah, it's chapter 0. Yeah, those are generally oneshot chapters, but this time it's essentially the prologue.

Not at all. And the "Spiderman" in terraformars is mexican. Which in retrospect is no different than our current Spiderman.

Weren't they saying that in reference to Lee, the Israeli guy? Though that doesn't make sense since he's a beetle.

Syrinx

Aria: The Origination 5

Didn't realize that was Akira there doimg doing the cleaning, looking so disorganized and wearing such ordinary clothes.

I found it a tad odd that Aika got as down as she did about talent in this episode. It seems natural enough for her to start to wonder if all the passion and hard work you put into something will even matter in the end when compared to somebody who has such natural ability. This somebody being both Akari, who's apparently a genius at making friends (whatever that means), and Alice, who is great at sculling despite being less experienced than both Akari and Aika. I mention that I thought that was strange because she looked at Akira as being in the same position compared to Alicia and Athena, yet acknowledges that Akira is just as good an Undine as both of them. So it just seems strange that she wouldn't make that parallel between the two of them in that regard.

Not sure I like child Aika appearing in that flashback to Akira. Seems unnecessary and a bit contrived. I did like seeing the struggle Akira had with fearing Alicia and Athena leaving her behind and having that crisis of lacking that natural talent that the other two had i in spades and wondering if she was really cut out for this, all while having to keep a smile around the two of them since they were friends and it wasnt their fault she was still a Single.

Overall I didn't like this one quite as much as previous Akira/Aika episodes. Which is kinda disappointing since it deals with a real problem both of them have to face/ have had to face and serves as another example of why Akira is the mentor Aika needs.

zulux21

You serious?

honestly I would consider it a close race.
Gon's father is a jerk who just doesn't care... perhaps there are more details listed after the ant arc but up until that point while he is a jerk and not involved he doesn't actively cause major disappointment for his kid, though he does screw with him leaving him hints to find him.

Goku on the other hand Is there for his kid for a bit, then dies... and once he comes back from there on out he tends to leave his son in extreme danger and cause a bunch of suffering. shortly after the vegeta fight he lets his son run off to another planet (pretty uncaring about what happens to his son.) there are plenty of terrible things he does on namek after he catches up (mostly putting his son in repeated danger instead of making sure he goes on his way home), but lets ignore those for now and fast forward to after the freeza fight as this is where goku starts being a really terrible father, where he likely takes the crown.

Steps for an overall nice guy to be a super asshat father.

Step 1: after your kid thinks you died... again... basically tell him that you don't care enough to come home with the help of a magical dragon and you will be home when you get around to it.
step 2: after you finally get back home, and then find out you will being dying in the next few years, have no plans to tell your friends or family, instead force the green man to tell people instead.
Step 3: ignore your wife's wishes and have your young son train with you for years for the ultimate threat.
we have a small time jump here where he isn't being an asshat so lets fast foward to cell.
Step 4: Train with your son to be the ultimate fighter, after words fight a battle and wear down the ultimate bad guy, know that your son could likely take him down at this point but instead toss the guy a bean to have him get back to full power because you are sure that when your son sees you and his friends getting beat up he will snap and get more powerful... refuse to take a bean yourself because you are so sure your son will respond to extreme suffering. (to be fair in goku's eyes it would likely be the heat of battle, but he should have realized that if his son was going to snap that way he already would have when he was training him)
Step 5: watch as your son gets the crap beat out of him, and still don't take a bean to help him. Finally when it becomes clear he will need help you can't help him because your magic beans are gone resulting in your son having to watch his friends get beat to near death.
Step 6: your son finally snaps according to plan, but you forgot to fill him in with the game plan after that. Due to your lack of insight your son messes things up and ultimately while you are making a noble sacrifice you are basically causing your son to be the reason for your death this time.
step 7: after you die, say people are better off without you so you won't be coming back even though your son could use you and you just knocked up your wife.
finally step 8: after 7 years and various events you gain your life back.... you spend a few years getting to know your family and meeting your second son but once this guy uub shows up you basically go SCREW YOU GUYS I AM CHOOSIN' HIM and desert your family by choice, once again.

so yeah, gon's dad is a jerk no doubt, but he never really seemed like he meant to be a nice guy. Goku on the other hand repeatedly says nah, I don't want to be with you any more, to a family that cares for him which to me is the bigger jerk.

Could AnimeGAF give me a quick lowdown on whether or not Log Horizon is worth my time?

I see that it's getting a second season, and I would like to keep up with more shows.

It is in no way like SAO except the being trapped in a MMO premise. Log Horizon's strength relies in it's world building, politics, and character interactions. It is way superior to that of SAO. So you should definitely watch it since it's great.

honestly I would consider it a close race.
Gon's father is a jerk who just doesn't care... perhaps there are more details listed after the ant arc but up until that point while he is a jerk and not involved he doesn't actively cause major disappointment for his kid, though he does screw with him leaving him hints to find him.

There certainly are.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Its like SAO with the same concept but none of its problems. Thats good because it has other problems which are mostly minor. Except for the goddamn intro.
once you watch it then, and only then, will you be truly living in the database

Quasar

Yes. My #2 show last year.

It shares a setup (gamers trapped in a fantasy world), that's about it though.

cajunator

Banned

Very much worth your time. It explored the intracacies of an MMO world much more than SAO, which was content to just be a bunch of girls swarming over Kiritos dick in an MMO setting.

It's the same as SAO part 1 in the sense that people are stuck in an MMO . The similarities end there.

Log Horizon is arguably a better show in everything but animation/crispness of design:
- Characters are fantastic all with distinct personalities that don't revolve around how much they love the protagonist.

- Design of the universe is pretty clever and background art can get downright gorgeous

- It decides to skip practically all of the drama involved in being away from home and instead focuses on how these people from a modern world adapt and change this new one.

- It does a deep exploration into economics and government and how they can positively affect a world.

- Shiroe, the lead protagonist, isn't your standard lead. He's a tactician/strategist, and largely uses his brain and keeps away from the spotlight.

- It goes into how as an MMO it has evolved into a living breathing world and how the MMO mechanics actually fit into their daily lives (vs SAO which was largely a fantasy show and didn't really use much MMO/RPG mechanics such as skills cool downs, etc...)

I can go deeper into it, but somebody can link you to Jexhius' recent review of the show which was pretty damn excellent. If you're willing to watch a show that is largely about world building and economics, then watch it. There's action in it but not often and it isn't the focus.

zulux21

Very much worth your time. It explored the intracacies of an MMO world much more than SAO, which was content to just be a bunch of girls swarming over Kiritos dick in an MMO setting.

I am really hoping that when log horizon becomes dubbed in a few months and I watch it that I enjoy it half as much as you guys...
I feel it will be dangerous to say I like SAO more than Log Horizon lol.

of course I seem to enjoy SAO quite a bit more then you guys already so yeah.... Either way I am looking forward to watching it... and if I really like it then I will pick up the second season.

Passerby mention that Piccolo is 10x the father Goku will ever be.

he is indeed a better father figure for gohan than goku is :p

cajunator

Banned
I am really hoping that when log horizon becomes dubbed in a few months and I watch it that I enjoy it half as much as you guys...

of course I seem to enjoy SAO quite a bit more then you guys already so yeah.... Either way I am looking forward to watching it... and if I really like it then I will pick up the second season.

he is indeed a better father figure for gohan than goku is :p

Its perfectly acceptable to like something others dont.

Quasar

I know of folks in that camp. Essentially they found LR full of boring talking and not nearly enough fighting.

Which is fine, even if its clear their worldview does not match mine and is full of wrongness.

zulux21

Its perfectly acceptable to like something others dont.

:p
I'm not worried that I will like it, I know enough about Log Horizon to know that I will likely enjoy it.

the only reason I haven't watched it was because I had to cut some shows from my watch list when it was coming out and it got confirmed for a dubbed dvd release shortly after it started airing thus I dropped it until it came out dubbed as I have far more time for dubbed shows then I do subtitled shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom