• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 8:

I have to say that after 8 episodes I think I find Hori to be the most tedious of characters and his interactions with Kashima have gotten stale, yea, this was a laborious watch, not recommended.

cajunator

Banned
:p
I'm not worried that I will like it, I know enough about Log Horizon to know that I will likely enjoy it.

the only reason I haven't watched it was because I had to cut some shows from my watch list when it was coming out and it got confirmed for a dubbed dvd release shortly after it started airing thus I dropped it until it came out dubbed as I have far more time for dubbed shows then I do subtitled shows.

I just like that LH didnt seem to be written by a 15 year old with a self insertion fantasy.
It had a more interesting story and characters who felt like actual parts of the show and not window dressing or harem fodder.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 8:

I have to say that after 8 episodes I think I find Hori to be the most tedious of characters and his interactions with Kashima have gotten stale, yea, this was a laborious watch, not recommended.

Hmmm I feel the opposite of what you said. This was like my favorite episode.

Hori and kashima are pretty much the favourite couple in the fanbase, at least in japan anyway.

Well if the genders were flipped we'd have the charming male prince and the violent tsundere, so it makes complete sense that japan still loves tsunderes. I mean those two were in Nichijou.

Shame though, because Waka and Seo are my favorites.

Kieli

Fantastic, I'll give it a whirl then.

Expect my impressions in batches, though. I find that most shows don't really have quite enough content to sustain episode-by-episode analyses.

Well, maybe that's just me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Probably a couple of reasons I don't care for them, I don't like violent tsunderes and I fucking hate I hope Senpai notices me dynamics.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's fair enough. I do love male tsuderes though. Chiaki and nodame are probably my favourite anime couple.

Well if the genders were flipped we'd have the charming male prince and the violent tsundere, so it makes complete sense that japan still loves tsunderes. I mean those two were in Nichijou.

Shame though, because Waka and Seo are my favorites.

Waka and seo are second, so it's not too bad.

Looking at popularity polls there it definitely feels like there is a bigger female fanbase.

Gazoinks

Space Dandy S2 08

Wow, incredible episode.

So I have a deep fondness for surrealism, especially in animation. In particular, I really like worlds that feel self-contained in their surrealism - as opposed to using surrealism to juxtapose against mundane things as you would in something more magical realist - like Cat Soup and this here episode.
The idea of a surreal journey through the land of the dead isn't novel (Cat Soup!), but it was really well executed here.
The background art was some of the best I've seen in the series so far, and that's saying a lot considering the show's production values. Lots of great twisted images, and the way the locations seemed completely disconnected from each other really drove home the feel of wandering through a limbo.

And that is my explanation for this picture spam:
VuTmfg2l.jpg
9wdaCnSl.jpg
RDwBCool.jpg

41jUozEl.jpg
ExRDMnEl.jpg
3vc4k81l.jpg

Story-wise I found it surprisingly poignant. It did a great job humanizing Dandy by putting him in a different situation, and showing the upside of his life philosophy:
That, when given the option to come back to life, he'd rather stay dead so he can keep a girl happy.
Some of the more comedic episode of the show felt like they emphasized Dandy's bafoonishness (totally a word) a bit too much, so it was nice to see that reversed. Also liked the obligatory discussions on
death and futility, especially the one with the guy not wanting to think about death and the little singing dudes.
I'll have to watch again at some point to pick out more of the symbolism and such. It was also pretty neat how the episode tied together the whole series a bit in the end. Interesting move there.

Lastly, great music, especially during the shamisen scene. You know the one.

Plus, Ogre You Asshole! What a silly band name!
The name originated when original drummer Arata Nishi saw Modest Mouse bassist Eric Judy on the street near the Hot Lab live house after a gig in Matsumoto during their Japan tour in May 2001. He asked Judy, who was drunk, to name their band. He replied 'I can't' before writing 'Ogre You Asshole' on Nishi's arm.
huh

Kieli

Log Horizon - 1

Not too bad so far. It's a little hyper a times, but not in an irritating sort of way.

Not sure why the heroine looks like a kid, but I'll chalk it up to "because Japan".

Two questions:

(1) The original game wasn't VR, was it? The characters express surprise at seeing major landmarks and how expansive the world truly is.

(2) What do the characters mean when they say Akihabara? Are they referring to a particular server?

Chobits Ep. 16

This whole subplot with Shinbo and the teacher is dreadful. I need to screenshot this shit. Some really fucked up ideas on relationships. I need to see if this is in the manga.

Gazoinks

Log Horizon - 1

Not too bad so far. It's a little hyper a times, but not in an irritating sort of way.

Not sure why the heroine looks like a kid, but I'll chalk it up to "because Japan".

Two questions:

(1) The original game wasn't VR, was it? The characters express surprise at seeing major landmarks and how expansive the world truly is.

(2) What do the characters mean when they say Akihabara? Are they referring to a particular server?

Hang in there for a bit, as the series really comes into its own after the first arc.

1. No, it was on monitors.

2. The Akihabara district of Tokyo is one of the major towns in the game. The game's setting is some kind of fantasy post-apocalyptic Earth.

zulux21

Sounds like something out of the Kids on the Slope OST. Which btw is a fantastic soundtrack for jazz/blues lovers. I mean the obvious choice at first is Cowboy Bebop, but this is a damn fine one as well.

im not a big jazz person but I prefer the jazz in the kids on the slope ost over the jazz on bebop (though tank is of course amazing)

hands down I think bebop has the better overall soundtrack though, as I love songs like Rain, call me call me, (well really Steve Conte in general :p) plus other songs like gotta knock a littler harder

If I am ever feeling lazy and just want some anime the obvious choice for me is to just load up bebop, nana, and ghost in the shell sound tracks in a player :p

im not a big jazz person but I prefer the jazz in the kids on the slope ost over the jazz on bebop (though tank is of course amazing)

hands down I think bebop has the better overall soundtrack though, as I love songs like Rain, call me call me, (well really Steve Conte in general :p) plus other songs like gotta knock a littler harder

If I am ever feeling lazy and just want some anime the obvious choice for me is to just load up bebop, nana, and ghost in the shell sound tracks in a player :p

I listen to my Cowboy Bebop soundtrack everyday when I drove to my internship back and fro, and during semesters I listened to a lot of songs from them on my way to and fro classes.

My personal favorite besides Tank? One of the few songs that can put a tear to my eyes in sadness and beauty not only in the implications of the show, but the lyrics and the ways it could be used in general.

Also if you haven't, I can't recommend the remix version of Tank! enough. The drum beats with a system that has a nice bass really add to the funk.

zulux21

I listen to my Cowboy Bebop soundtrack everyday when I drove to my internship back and fro, and during semesters I listened to a lot of songs from them on my way to and fro classes.

My personal favorite besides Tank? One of the few songs that can put a tear to my eyes in sadness and beauty not only in the implications of the show, but the lyrics and the ways it could be used in general.

Also if you haven't, I can't recommend the remix version of Tank! enough. The drum beats with a system that has a nice bass really add to the funk.

man jazz talk reminded me of this song and then I got sad again knowing that this great series has a ton of more content that hasn't been animated :(
at some point after I catch up on no game no life, and maybe haruhi... and maybe spice and wolf... I will have to sit down and read baccano :/

Script:
Tsuyoshi Tamai (eps 9, 15-26)
Chobits (TV) : Script (eps 9, 15-26)
Ladies versus Butlers! (TV) : Series Composition
Momo Kyun Sword (TV) : Series Composition, Script
Strike Witches (TV) : Series Composition, Script (eps 1-2)
Maybe I should just abandon Chobits now and spare myself the future pain.

Jex

Let me start off by saying that I have never seen a Miyazaki film before. I was never introduced as a kid and as I've grown up I have always heard of their esteem and quality. I saw Nausicaa as I was browsing after picking up a copy of the first season of 30 Rock and decided to pick it up partly because it was a Ghibli film but also because I was drawn to the cover art.

The designs of this world are simply astounding. It felt wonderfully alien in a way I haven't felt since encountering the Metroid series for the first time. Characters were refreshingly capable and sensible, especially Nausicaa herself. If I were to describe the plot and story telling in a single word I would use 'natural'. While I am fan of crazy nonsensical anime (my adoration for Imaishi runs strong still), watching something where the characters react so humanely also hits the right notes for me. They did a great job of making me feel empathy for the Ohmu right from the get go which I think makes the film so strong. Big fan of the animation work as well.

Hoping some of Ghibli's other films will draw me in as much as this one did.
First, I'm going to be an internet dick and alert you to the fact that Nausicaa isn't a Studio Ghibli production, it was made by Studio Top Craft. This isn't particularly important to realise but it's worth remembering that Hayo Miyazaki and Isao Takhata (and others from Studio Ghibli) produced a lot of work before they founded Studio Ghibli. Much of it is marketed together as a Ghibli collection.

I don't normally give this kind of blanket advice because of their you can just go ahead and blind buy the following films because they're all amazing:

Castle of Cagliostro - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki. Also pre-Studio Ghibli)
Castle in the Sky - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
Grave of the Fireflies - (Director: Isao Takahata)
My Neighbor Totoro - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
Kiki's Delivery Service - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
Only Yesterday - (Director: Isao Takahata)
Porco Rosso - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
Pom Poko - (Director: Isao Takahata)
Whisper of the Heart - (Director: Yoshifumi Kondo)
Princess Mononoke - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
My Neighbors the Yamadas - (Director: Isao Takahata)
Spirited Away - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)

I also hand out this advice to everyone else in the thread who, for whatever reason, are not completely familiar with all of these classic films.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Recorder to Randsell OVA
vwUKvrcl.jpg

So they switched the gender of everyone and hey, no pedo jokes! (Well, almost lol).

That said, there was already that anime with the elementary school girl who looked like an adult (I have no idea what it's called), so... oh well.

fertygo

The last two episodes for the first half of season two were delayed due to production issues, and the second half of the split-cour series will continue this Fall.

Yeah, if you don't know yet those two delayed episode just recently aired on tv (like 3 days ago cmiiw)
So its surprising CR cite production issue as their excuse, but they also do this before.

duckroll

Yeah, if you don't know yet those two delayed episode just recently aired on tv (like 3 days ago cmiiw)
So its surprising CR cite production issue as their excuse, but they also do this before.

Production delays does not mean the episodes are not finished. It just means CR is having issues putting it up on their end. It could be a variety of reasons.

Thoraxes

this scene right here

Literally blew me away. The music, the dialogue, the art, everything. I hope whatever song she plays makes it to the OST because it was great.
So good!
I've watched the ending sequence a few times already and it still gets me every time.

Today I started looking into the band Ogre You Asshole as a result since their music was featured in this episode.

Pretty nice band!
I'll check them out too!
I'm not even sure why, but I love jazz in anime. Kemonozume was a good 'un too.
Oh man, the jazz Bach fugue in TiR was so good this week, and excellently used.

That's fair enough. I do love male tsuderes though. Chiaki and nodame are probably my favourite anime couple.

Waka and seo are second, so it's not too bad.

Looking at popularity polls there it definitely feels like there is a bigger female fanbase.

If I had to rank:

1. Nozaki x Chiyo
2. Seo x Waka
3. Prince x Hori

Though I haven't watched episode 8 yet

kasane

aldnoah zero 7

God fucking damn it brown haired mc

This wad supposed to be the episode where the real mc kicks you out

Fuck

Jex

Recorder to Randsell OVA
vwUKvrcl.jpg

So they switched the gender of everyone and hey, no pedo jokes! (Well, almost lol).

That said, there was already that anime with the elementary school girl who looked like an adult (I have no idea what it's called), so... oh well.

You're acting like there's only one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom