• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 2
Magic can solve anything! Except, you know, it kinda didn't.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 3
You know, the older girls figured the whole "ask plants about their feelings" stuff super early in the first season, lest I'm remembering something wrong. I figured Pop was gonna try that as soon as she saw the tree didn't want to move, but I guess she was never let in on the idea lol.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 4
Hana vs Tamaki makes for fun moments. Who would've thunk?

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 5
Yamauchi time! I'm kinda starting to see where they might have a focus to apply some character development from, this season. Good episode, as usual, and this Magical Stage is the first one I might not skip every time (no way I'll watch it every time either :v)

Midonin

Marimite S3 01

If I could have this arrangement of "pastel pure" with the sung lyrics from S2, that would be my ideal opening for the series. The KOTOKO ED is pretty upbeat, and now that the show has reached the point where the animation can switch to widescreen, it looks a little better. Now as for the story content.

Looking ahead, the amusement park is going to be put off until S4. That's a long wait for the payoff. The little elements that keep returning, like Sachiko wondering if Yumi would do her dance from the farewell party, are appreciated. Like her, I thought Sachiko was being a little uptight and not really having fun with her vacation, but her extended family and the other socialites are even worse than Touko. Good on Yumi for proving herself with the song that started this whole series off. One of the better explorations of Yumi and Sachiko's relationship I've seen from this show so far. Their faults and their strengths were emphasized, and though the Yellow and White Rose families only had a supporting role, their presence was appreciated.

Yoshino continues to be the best. Mountain climbing sounds like the most fun of the three vacations.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 37
So the one who is really calling the shots sent a message saying he's just going to nuke the planet. Great. Luckily, there is room for growth still for our heroines by
overcoming their shadow selves. So far 3 out of the 4 have overcome their suppressed sides.

rOhqdbk.gif

XTlEIQE.gif

Oh Space Dandy I want to make sweet gentle love to this episode and your art style and music. Let me do so. I need you on blu ray, baby.

Sailor Moon 31

The Sailor Guardians gets stuck.

And it's a pretty funny episode. Luna gets her own Tuxedo er... cat, Zoisite got rat problems, Tuxedo Mask just runs off with the
last Rainbow Crystal
and Usagi plays video games.

e_i

Sailor Moon 31

The Sailor Guardians gets stuck.

And it's a pretty funny episode. Luna gets her own Tuxedo er... cat, Zoisite got rat problems, Tuxedo Mask just runs off with the
last Rainbow Crystal
and Usagi plays video games.

Jupiter staring at Mercury's butt. Best scene IMO.

Barakamon 8

Right in the feels. God damn I love this show. There seemed to be a lot of plot in this episode and perhaps even foreshadowing. Go on Sensei, become Naru's guardian! I also think Naru is going to use that IOU just when sensei is about to leave and make him stay.

Man I'm going to be real sad when this anime ends ;__;

Funimation has the North American rights, so it'll be priced reasonably. If they keep up what they've done lately, it might even get a LE.

I love LE's.I wanted to get the Psycho-Pass LE because it's such a sexy fucking combination of colors and it actually looks really nice

But with the re-edited version I'm now considering waiting. Shame that nobody here is watching it to see if there are major differences/fixes to animation hiccups, because that'd be useful for me as somebody who is on the verge of buying this.

Jex

None of you guys seen Whispers of the Heart besides Fire and NadDam? I recommend it to all!

I don't know why I need to pimp out Ghibli movies anyway. You should already have seen them!

None of you guys seen Whispers of the Heart besides Fire and NadDam? I recommend it to all!

I don't know why I need to pimp out Ghibli movies anyway. You should already have seen them!

I saw it. And I don't recall much but I do remember that I had a major issue with the way the relationship evolved
(the guy asks him to marry her out of the blue with not much dating)
, and with the love triangle that really seemed pointless on first viewing. I didn't like it that much but I consider it way better and plenty more entertaining than The Wind Rises.

Midonin

Blade Dance 07

I liked the A-plot and the B-plot in this one. I was expecting Rinslet's advice to be a little more than the standard, but even the standard is a chance for some romance hijinks. Might be the first time I've seen someone try it on themselves. I think the same psychology as tickling applies here. If you do it to yourself, your body knows it's coming and the impact isn't as strong, and this is all about that sensation. Not that it ever works, but I can see why Claire's line of thought works. The Fianna backstory is starting to tie into the present as well.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 38
The Desert Devil couldn't wait for Tsubomi to finish making everyone else fight until she was done. Not necessarily digging the new transformation, but it gets the job done. Is there anything that could stop them at this point aside from maybe facing multiple Desert Devils at once?

Kieli

I've seen it and I love it.

The main couple developed in a pretty organic way (as much as you could squeeze into one movie).

I like these sort of grounded movies a bit more than some of the other Ghibli offerings, actually!

Edit: There was a love triangle? What?

Defuser

Space Dandy S2 ep 8
I like how all the girls that fall in love with Dandy is all unregistered aliens.

Adelie, plant girl and now planet girl.

Space Dandy S2 ep 8
I like how all the girls that fall in love with Dandy is all unregistered aliens.

Adelie, plant girl and now planet girl.

I guess it's every girl he doesn't do awkward flirting thing and eventually treats them sweetly/like a living being lol. Well that, and little girls since he's a fun guy and isn't about to flirt with young girls.

Midonin

M3 19

That's a pretty disturbing way to go. I'm not going to miss him since, even with his backstory revealed, he was still on the evil side of moral ambiguity. Also, the show still has five episodes left, so I'm curious as to exactly what they're going to do from here on out.

Link Man

Banned
Fate/Zero END

Well, that was a great show. Really loved the characters and the action. I'm not really one for reviews, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm now ready for the next Fate show.

cajunator

Banned
I love LE's.I wanted to get the Psycho-Pass LE because it's such a sexy fucking combination of colors and it actually looks really nice

But with the re-edited version I'm now considering waiting. Shame that nobody here is watching it to see if there are major differences/fixes to animation hiccups, because that'd be useful for me as somebody who is on the verge of buying this.

Same. I held off on buying this until a better version comes.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 39
A relationship building episode between Erika and Coffret. Didn't think it was needed this late in the game. The leader of the Sunackies has been purified too. I wonder what will happen to him.

You know, it didn't cross my mind that cockroach depiction in Terraformars is racist.

When i heard that terraformars is racist, i though it was the depiction of other annex/bug member, which is more understandable

as fo the cockroach depiction, i think it was based on homo erectus.

You know, it probably is based on homo erectus or cromagnon or something like that.
But just the way they're drawn and the situations that they're put in make it really, really easy to say that they were actually based on something else.

----------------------------

Gundam-san 08

1AutDmg.jpg

SIEG ZEON SIEG ZEON SIEG ZEON

Well it worked on Mashymre.

Himegoto 08

If I've learned anything from this show it's that you can be as lewd as you want and it will fly past censors as long as it's a dude

Branduil

You know, it didn't cross my mind that cockroach depiction in Terraformars is racist.

When i heard that terraformars is racist, i though it was the depiction of other annex/bug member, which is more understandable

as fo the cockroach depiction, i think it was based on homo erectus.

But, then again different culture, and i'm sure that the author never learn or watch the birth of nation.

Hell, i'd learn about it just a couple years ago, reading cracked article about school who serve fried chicken and watermelon during black appreciation month.

It may not have been completely intentional, but it was definitely influenced by racist tropes.

Firemind

I've seen it and I love it.

The main couple developed in a pretty organic way (as much as you could squeeze into one movie).

I like these sort of grounded movies a bit more than some of the other Ghibli offerings, actually!

Edit: There was a love triangle? What?

Don't believe the doge's lies.

Whisper of the Heart is pretty much the greatest motivational, and therefore my favourite, anime film ever. Nodame Cantabile is the anime series equivalent. I wish there were more motivational anime...

Jex

I saw it. And I don't recall much but I do remember that I had a major issue with the way the relationship evolved
(the guy asks him to marry her out of the blue with not much dating)
, and with the love triangle that really seemed pointless on first viewing. I didn't like it that much but I consider it way better and plenty more entertaining than The Wind Rises.

While I agree with you about the ending, there really isn't a love triangle in the movie. Fact!

Jex

[Spirited Away]

I've seen this movie numerous, perhaps more than any other Studio Ghibli movie, and I'm still not entirely sure what the point of No Face is. From a storytelling and thematic and even character perspective everything about him is covered by other characters in the story. So why is he even there? I mean he's an iconic character and his scenes are great but he still feels out of place.

So is anyone still following Captain Earth here? Does it have any redeeming qualities like some decently animated mecha battles? I know MAL score usually doesn't tell that much but 6.69 is pretty fucking bad by MAL standards. I watched the first episode back when it aired but somehow then I just forgot the show and now I am wondering if I should pick it up again.

So is anyone still following Captain Earth here? Does it have any redeeming qualities like some decently animated mecha battles? I know MAL score usually doesn't tell that much but 6.69 is pretty fucking bad by MAL standards. I watched the first episode back when it aired but somehow then I just forgot the show and now I am wondering if I should pick it up again.

I'm still following it, but it's unlikely that there will be something to capture your interest there if you weren't interested to begin with/a BONES fan.
There are far better mech series with better animation to watch.
I think it was actually starting to turn for the better, but the latest episode kind of reversed that.

VRMN

It's not bad. It's just not great. I like it, it has good animation, decent action, and fun characters.

The source material was published in a shounen magazine, actually. And Sabagebu was in a shoujo one. Figure that out.
Huh, that is really weird, in both of those cases! Sabagebu feels like a shonen or seinen, and Nozaki-kun like a shoujo... goes to show that it can be hard to tell.

Midonin

Hanayamata 08

Machi and PriPara's Mirei are carved from the same mold, and while Machi doesn't have the bonkers split personality, her relationship with Sally and her slow warming up to the yosakoi club are making me want to see more of her in these few episodes. Should've suspected that their signature dance song would be the OP, but I did not foresee it being the MIDI version. The light dramatic elements to this show are making it more interesting, and yet it's still consistently cute, and there's a lot of passion being put into it.

Joe Molotov

HappinessCharge Precure 29

Missed opportunity to play Rock Paper Scissor again with Cure Peace. :(

Nothing really happened in this episode except what we could already figure out about Queen Mirage and Blue is finally all out in the open, and also upgraded Precure powers SHINING MAKE DRESSER!! (?)

Dark Precure next week, though. HYPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom