• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recorder to Randsell OVA
vwUKvrcl.jpg

So they switched the gender of everyone and hey, no pedo jokes! (Well, almost lol).

That said, there was already that anime with the elementary school girl who looked like an adult (I have no idea what it's called), so... oh well.

There's more of this bullshit?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I am aware of that, I mean really didn't seem to be anything that raised this particular episode beyond the caul of what was previously established.

Not really true. They established kashima misunderstanding hori's intentions as wanting to be treated more like a girl.

Also that nozaki despite all odds managed to somehow get his manga serialised.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I am aware of that, I mean really didn't seem to be anything that raised this particular episode beyond the caul of what was previously established.
I think people like the extreme nature of this particular relationship, since it's basically involves an idiot trying to push the gender-swapped meta even further.

Chobits Ep. 16

The last two are a bit out of context but you get the drift.
#NoMeansYes

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not really true. They established kashima misunderstanding hori's intentions as wanting to be treated more like a girl.

Also that nozaki despite all odds managed to somehow get his manga serialised.

That is actually a good point, I did think that was the best part of the episode even though it got a bit too much of a wacky stack. Nozomi is actually one my favored characters and has developed a very odd sort of charisma about him.

My brother just finished Clannad and Angel Beats. He loved both. He has taken great first steps on this Key journey. Glad he finished them so fast. Great way to start my day. :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That is actually a good point, I did think that was the best part of the episode even though it got a bit too much of a wacky stack. Nozomi is actually one my favored characters and has developed a very odd sort of charisma about him.

Nozaki is always said to be the straight man but honestly he's probably the weirdest one out of the entire cast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nozaki is always said to be the straight man but honestly he's probably the weirdest one out of the entire cast.
No, the girl is the straight man. I mean, she's literally the only one who reacts in the expected manner to all the Manzai-esque punchlines the show sets up.

Let me start off by saying that I have never seen a Miyazaki film before. I was never introduced as a kid and as I've grown up I have always heard of their esteem and quality. I saw Nausicaa as I was browsing after picking up a copy of the first season of 30 Rock and decided to pick it up partly because it was a Ghibli film but also because I was drawn to the cover art.

The designs of this world are simply astounding. It felt wonderfully alien in a way I haven't felt since encountering the Metroid series for the first time. Characters were refreshingly capable and sensible, especially Nausicaa herself. If I were to describe the plot and story telling in a single word I would use 'natural'. While I am fan of crazy nonsensical anime (my adoration for Imaishi runs strong still), watching something where the characters react so humanely also hits the right notes for me. They did a great job of making me feel empathy for the Ohmu right from the get go which I think makes the film so strong. Big fan of the animation work as well.

Hoping some of Ghibli's other films will draw me in as much as this one did.

Well, now you should search and read the manga to know the full story!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
You know, it didn't cross my mind that cockroach depiction in Terraformars is racist.

When i heard that terraformars is racist, i though it was the depiction of other annex/bug member, which is more understandable

as fo the cockroach depiction, i think it was based on homo erectus.

But, then again different culture, and i'm sure that the author never learn or watch the birth of nation.

Hell, i'd learn about it just a couple years ago, reading cracked article about school who serve fried chicken and watermelon during black appreciation month.

Jex

[Whispers of the Heart]

I don't seem to remember the very final scene of this movie bothering me many years ago when I first watched this film but something about it doesn't sit right with me now. It feels far too 'easy'. I'm not surprised to hear Miyazaki say that it was all his idea.

Beyond that complaint it's a fantastic movie.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 31:

Well, I will say this episode did make we laugh at a few points, so it wasn't a total waste. This was still one of the worst episodes of the first season, the Rainbow Crystal arc has been running on fumes as it was but this felt like they had just run out of ideas for the finale of this leg. Watching Luna get into wacky misunderstandings with the ugliest cat in the world lost its charms quickly and Zoicite descended to the competence level of Team Rocket. I suppose we are about to hit another big and dramatic changeover if they are presenting an episode this broadly comedic. Also, something that I hadn't noticed until I started watching these old episode, Anime doesn't seem to use the giant sweat drop anymore, how very curious. Recommendation to avoid.

fertygo

Zankyou no Terror - 07

Yeah, shoddy art aside.. I thought this is pretty great primetime-esque showcase, the intensity is there(the music really carrying this show), cool set piece, change of status quo, sound like nice recipe for entertainment to me.

[Whispers of the Heart]

I don't seem to remember the very final scene of this movie bothering me many years ago when I first watched this film but something about it doesn't sit right with me now. It feels far too 'easy'. I'm not surprised to hear Miyazaki say that it was all his idea.

I'm not sure why but I really loved the use 'Take me home, Country Roads' in that film. Was kinda surprising to here at first but really made the opening something special.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 32:

Okay, this episode is a bit of a quagmire as the story materials are much more important then the last few episodes of rote gem retrieval. Indeed, we get the origins of Luna and some more bits on her mission and a important portent about the near future. With the great monster portion of the arc completed Zoicite gains new powers and the factional warfare continues. Right, I suppose there is no beating around the bush Tuxedo Umino Mask was downright horrible save for the 30 or so seconds he actually stepped up to be some sort of heroish figure. Just a cringe-worthy spectacle that was draped around extreme desperation that became sheer agony to watch. Middling recommendation to watch but have your fast forward button ready.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't suppose anyone knows why a mov file shows subtitles when played in QuickTime but when converted to webm they disappear.

Firemind

thisisanimegaf.gif

[Whispers of the Heart]

You should listen to the dub. It's even more awkward! :lol

Jex

[Whispers of the Heart] cont

Oh god, I just had a revelation about this movie that's probably obvious to people who have seen the movie more than once. The script was written by Hayo Miyazaki and the grandfather/shopkeeper/craftsmen figure is very obviously a representation of Miyazaki himself. Our protagonist (or Studio Ghibli employee!) works extremely hard to prepare story worthy of presentation to the grandfather (or Miyazaki!) who then rates the work and offers advice and guidance to the creator. He's sending his approval to the next generation that their work may need polish but that it's still good. There's a very clear hope for the future and perhaps even the idea of passing on the torch to the next generation of craftsmen and creators.

Of course, unfortunately, that was never to pass. The director, Yoshifumi Kondo, died soon after as a result of the kind of over-work that the protagonist in the movie undertakes to complete her task. In the movie, her dedication is clearly seen as virtuous but in reality such dedication easily leads to illness and in this case, death. Studio Ghibli never managed to create that 'next generation' of creators and craftsmen.

This adds a tragic air to the entire project.

Now I feel depressed.

jgminto

Ace of the Diamond 45
So dreamy...gonna suck when his team gets beaten. I hope they don't because they're a much more interesting team than the previous champions but all of the "making a miracle into a reality" stuff feels like the sport equivalent of a death flag.

cajunator

Banned
Probably a couple of reasons I don't care for them, I don't like violent tsunderes and I fucking hate I hope Senpai notices me dynamics.

I dont like the super violent ones either, but I really like Taiga. Probably because shes really adorable otherwise. I mean REALLY adorable.

Oh my god its jazz renditions of Princess Mononoke soundtrack!
squeeeeeee
So this is a various Ghibli move jazz rendition?

Chobits Ep. 16

This whole subplot with Shinbo and the teacher is dreadful. I need to screenshot this shit. Some really fucked up ideas on relationships. I need to see if this is in the manga.

Naturally Chobits would have the same erroneous views on relationships that many romcoms present. However, there is a certain storyline in there I found quite touching overall that really made persocoms seem a lot more human in this world and a believable partner.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SoftSub isn't fully supported in webm yet AFAIK. Need to HardSub if you want to add those.
That's why I tried saving a file as mov assuming it would make them hardsubs but apparently they're still softsubs that only QT can see yet can't be turned off like normal softsubs. It's weird.

Maybe I'll have to used Handbrake first to burn them in if I want to keep them in the webm.

Lot of work for a clip that no one will look at.

cajunator

Banned
im not a big jazz person but I prefer the jazz in the kids on the slope ost over the jazz on bebop (though tank is of course amazing)

hands down I think bebop has the better overall soundtrack though, as I love songs like Rain, call me call me, (well really Steve Conte in general :p) plus other songs like gotta knock a littler harder

If I am ever feeling lazy and just want some anime the obvious choice for me is to just load up bebop, nana, and ghost in the shell sound tracks in a player :p

There is precious little jazz in anime soundtracks so treasure it where you find it.
My favorites in Cowboy Bebop are Blue and Space Lion. Space Lion being one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I have heard. It makes me feel pretty incredible.

Maybe I should just abandon Chobits now and spare myself the future pain.

Nah. Stick with it. The true nature of Chi is an interesting one. I really didnt expect it to turn out that way at all.

First, I'm going to be an internet dick and alert you to the fact that Nausicaa isn't a Studio Ghibli production, it was made by Studio Top Craft. This isn't particularly important to realise but it's worth remembering that Hayo Miyazaki and Isao Takhata (and others from Studio Ghibli) produced a lot of work before they founded Studio Ghibli. Much of it is marketed together as a Ghibli collection.

I don't normally give this kind of blanket advice because of their you can just go ahead and blind buy the following films because they're all amazing:

Castle of Cagliostro - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki. Also pre-Studio Ghibli)
Castle in the Sky - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
Grave of the Fireflies - (Director: Isao Takahata)
My Neighbor Totoro - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
Kiki's Delivery Service - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
Only Yesterday - (Director: Isao Takahata)
Porco Rosso - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
Pom Poko - (Director: Isao Takahata)
Whisper of the Heart - (Director: Yoshifumi Kondo)
Princess Mononoke - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)
My Neighbors the Yamadas - (Director: Isao Takahata)
Spirited Away - (Director: Hayo Miyazaki)

I also hand out this advice to everyone else in the thread who, for whatever reason, are not completely familiar with all of these classic films.

None of these are bad, but I want to suggest also Arrietty the Borrower. Its a really adorable movie even though the end is kind of ambiguously weak.

cajunator

Banned
Production delays does not mean the episodes are not finished. It just means CR is having issues putting it up on their end. It could be a variety of reasons.

ITs only when you start seeing recap episodes that stuff is REALLY going down it seems.

You're acting like there's only one!

Lol. This trope is pretty common, but usually its the other way around (adult that looks like a little kid)

thanks Ducky!

cajunator

Banned
You know, it didn't cross my mind that cockroach depiction in Terraformars is racist.

When i heard that terraformars is racist, i though it was the depiction of other annex/bug member, which is more understandable

as fo the cockroach depiction, i think it was based on homo erectus.

But, then again different culture, and i'm sure that the author never learn or watch the birth of nation.

Hell, i'd learn about it just a couple years ago, reading cracked article about school who serve fried chicken and watermelon during black appreciation month.

Its just a bit too obvious though.
Also holy shit at that Cracked thing.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 32:

Okay, this episode is a bit of a quagmire as the story materials are much more important then the last few episodes of rote gem retrieval. Indeed, we get the origins of Luna and some more bits on her mission and a important portent about the near future. With the great monster portion of the arc completed Zoicite gains new powers and the factional warfare continues. Right, I suppose there is no beating around the bush Tuxedo Umino Mask was downright horrible save for the 30 or so seconds he actually stepped up to be some sort of heroish figure. Just a cringe-worthy spectacle that was draped around extreme desperation that became sheer agony to watch. Middling recommendation to watch but have your fast forward button ready.

Wait, you fast forward through Sailor Moon eps?
The only time this seems like a good idea is to get through R and Im still not gonna do it!

Cool, that was absurdly easy.

http://a.pomf.se/hjmbvq.webm

Cencoroll <3

Isnt there more of this being made?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cool, that was absurdly easy.

In the first cut, she has her bat pointed towards her right. But in the second, its pointing towards her left, and she swings it from left to right in order to hit the left side of the guy's face.

ANIMATION HOW DOES IT WORK?

cajunator

Banned
In the first cut, she has her bat pointed towards her right. But in the second, its pointing towards her left, and she swings it from left to right in order to hit the left side of the guy's face.

Oh shit youre right. thats some continuity error!

Jex

Now that's not the animators fault! That's the a fault of the storyboarder/director!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom