• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Log Horizon 19-20

P8FvwSh.png
0Tyjx8o.png
xnX15Uh.png

Episodes 19 and 20 were absolutely terrific. It was worth waiting through the long (but enjoyable) buildup episodes. I enjoyed seeing the mobilized army take action against the Goblin King, but it was team rookie's various skirmishes that stole the show for me. I was overjoyed to see Minori employ top notch tactics during her battles; her resolve to catch up to Shiroe was not a hollow one (I was willing to write her off after she was rescued).
Rudy's final stand was poignant, and his death was crushing, but his revival really made me really, really happy. Bear in mind, I usually *hate* last minute revivals, but I've been conditioned to expect major "deaths" in these types of animes as a means to evoke sadness. I was genuinely surprised that the writers opted to revive him, and as an adventure no less! After all, what good would it do if the great RUNDEL HAUS CODE was killed off without becoming a true adventurer?!? He's definitely got plenty of room to grow.

Episode 20 I feel, encapsulates Log Horizon in a nutshell. Smart. Creative. Unconventional, and among other things, uplifting. Time and time again, the protagonists overcome seemingly impossible challenges, in a believable way. Thus far, the way LH has handled problems concerning regarding food, quality of life, civil unrest and even
death for NPCs
is nothing short of amazing. So yeah. I Iike this anime. I like it a lot. PLEASE WATCH IT.

PS: Shiroe's seemingly useless sub-class having near infinite potential? I'm all about that.

Firemind

Just wanted to point out that the ending almost near ruined the film for me. That add the unnecessary love 'triangle' stuff.

To be fair, they're lovestruck teenagers and one of them is committed to go abroad for seven years. In an age where the Internet barely exists, I don't think it's outlandish to make a promise about a long-term commitment. Just look at 5 Centimeters Per Second to see long-term relationships go sour!

The fact that Miyazaki had to personally defend his decision shows how off base he was. Now, I don't have the direct quote in Japanese and I don't know how good the translation is but most places seem to say he said something like "I wanted to make a conclusion, a definite sense of ending. Too many young people now are afraid of commitment, and stay on moratorium forever. I wanted these two to just commit to something, not just 'well, we'll see what will happen'." The language in that quote clearly shows Miyazaki imposing his own views onto the characters as opposed to these characters organically reaching such a decision.[/SPOILER]

Yeah that's a good way to put it.

Pretty much immediately I read about that quote of his, too, so at least I knew why the movie ended on this weird note, but it seriously came out of the left field while watching.
Bad enough that we didn't get a god damn kiss at the end, s.th. that's lacking in anime left and right, no, instead he proposes... Jesus Christ

Kyuur

Well, now you should search and read the manga to know the full story!
If you enjoyed the film, you should definitely read the manga. This box set is amaaaaaaazing.

Does the manga cover the exact same events with extra/different scenes, or does it actually continue on past that plotline? I might give it a shot when I have the chance.

First, I'm going to be an internet dick and alert you to the fact that Nausicaa isn't a Studio Ghibli production, it was made by Studio Top Craft. This isn't particularly important to realise but it's worth remembering that Hayo Miyazaki and Isao Takhata (and others from Studio Ghibli) produced a lot of work before they founded Studio Ghibli. Much of it is marketed together as a Ghibli collection.

-recommendations-

I actually did not know that, given as you said that the box has the Ghibli name on it! Anything else pre-Ghibli worth watching other than Nausicaa and Castle of Cagliostro as you recommended (this question is to everyone!)?

You poor soul. How deprived of great films you have been.

Jokes aside, glad to see you enjoyed it as much as you did. Definitely check out other Ghibli/Miyazaki films. My personal recommendations:

-recommendations-

If you watch more of them please do write up impressions.

Watch Princess Mononoke right afterwards. Nausicaa is thought of as a sort of proto-Princess Mononoke, exploring the same ideals and themes in a quite different but more refined way. Oh man you are so lucky to be experiencing these films for the first time. What a treat!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I am thinking that I might try and pick up most of the films in order of release if I can find them (not sure if some of them didn't make it to NA). I definitely have heard great things of Princess Mononoke though, so I am a bit eager to get to that. Maybe I'll watch it back to back with Nausicaa!

cajunator

Banned
Cultural appropriation happens all the time. It's just that it's usually not that outright negative now because of more cultural awareness. But I mean, it depends on how much research an author chooses to do or whether they even care.

Of course, I'm always reminded of this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baJyUKEHp4U

It's like a Dave Chapelle skit but in some insane bizarro world.

Lol. I remember that one. Tokyo Breakfast. So wrong.

Yeah, that's kinda unfortunate.

But at least it's not like Save the pearl, revealing eden.

Not yet, but i doubt he care.

Not the cracked article, but here's the news about it
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...43851091.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand

Thanks for the link.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 44
Christmas time!

I'm actually surprised that the little girl didn't turn into a Desertrain since the episode has been focusing on her.

Hey, what is this? Why are we breaking the rules? I see I'm nearing the end here, but this is not okay by any means.

cajunator

Banned
Discotek's Cardcaptor Sakura Movie BD and Sherlock Hound DVD available to pre-order on Right Stuf. Nothing about Chi's Sweet Home despite Siren Visual releasing it in October.

Mangagamer eroge titles are also available to order again.

Thanks for the reminder! Cant wait to finally see the movie!

Surely the better choice would just be to watch a good show after watching a good show?

That would just upset the karmic balance mr Jexhius.

I'm just here to offer my weekly praise to Barakamon. Last episode was great and very cute/heartwarming. Thanks Barakamon, for making me appreciate anime again.

It is perfectly acceptable to praise Barakamon.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 45

Even without all of his power, Dune mopped the floor with them without them without breaking a sweat. And now... I don't want to imagine. Sheesh. It isn't surprising that
the only people that survived are the ones they saved.

Coppe is scary when fighting in his untransformed state.

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 29

Episode confirms what we pretty much figured out a while ago.

"Shining Make Dresser". Nice one.

Yeah that's a good way to put it.

Pretty much immediately I read about that quote of his, too, so at least I knew why the movie ended on this weird note, but it seriously came out of the left field while watching.
Bad enough that we didn't get a god damn kiss at the end, s.th. that's lacking in anime left and right, no, instead he proposes... Jesus Christ

People are too obsessed over kisses, as if that's the only way affection can be demonstrated.

Branduil

People are too obsessed over kisses, as if that's the only way affection can be demonstrated.

To be fair, there would probably be less obsession if anime wasn't often so bizarrely obsessed with never letting them happen. But as you say, the lack of kisses is usually just a symbol of a larger lack of affection/romantic resolution.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 46
The split up troupe at the final level for 1v1 showdowns? Just how I like. Dark Precure is back, with now seemingly double the eyehax.
Sayonara, Kumojacky, Cobraja. It was nice knowing you guys.

cajunator

Banned
Barakamon is my anime of the season, and I don't even know why that is. I have no idea why I like the show since I've never been hard up on slice of life until recently, but it's like there's something there I just can't look away from. I know next to nothing about Japanese calligraphy either lol

Sakura is the best route/girl in my opinion. I'm still sad they aren't doing Heaven's feel for the anime. On the bright side it's not fucking Deen so there's something to be happy about.

No shame in loving Barakamon. Ive been enjoying it too!

But they are so pointy.

As long as the knees arent!

Blade Dance 7
Par for the course. Utterly average aside from the fight with the antagonist which wasn't as special the second time around.

I keep seeing cutie waifus in this show and it makes me want to watch it :(

Quasar

Because, once again, people are liking Nozaki making fun of these kinds of stories, but I hope there's still some appreciation for the genuine article.

See I'm not sure 'making fun of romance stories' is why I like Nozaki. But then romance stories in anime/manga probably is my most watched/read genre. I genuinely enjoy them.

It might be more about the laughs surrounding a comedy about people making manga.

Jarmel

Banned
But in all seriousness, with regards to the ending of Whispers of the Heart (spoilers, duh)
Would it be so hard for him just to tell that he loved her? Anything else isn't just unnecessary, it's downright unlikely.

The fact that Miyazaki had to personally defend his decision shows how off base he was. Now, I don't have the direct quote in Japanese and I don't know how good the translation is but most places seem to say he said something like "I wanted to make a conclusion, a definite sense of ending. Too many young people now are afraid of commitment, and stay on moratorium forever. I wanted these two to just commit to something, not just 'well, we'll see what will happen'." The language in that quote clearly shows Miyazaki imposing his own views onto the characters as opposed to these characters organically reaching such a decision.

That's fairly interesting as I just chalked it up to culture gap but if Miyazaki had to defend it, then I guess some Japanese viewers had issues with it too.

Midonin

It might be more about the laughs surrounding a comedy about people making manga.
I understand that much, and I enjoy it for those reasons too. In some communities shoujo romance seems like an easy target, so I'm hoping it wasn't because of any ill feeling towards that genre/demographic.

At the same time, every community is different, and I know I've jumped to conclusions before.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 47
The (obvious) truth has been revealed. Dark Precure has been defeated and the Professor has woken up and is in a daze. The only question is why and what made him evil.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 15

Kero's situation reminded me of what happened to Terriermon in Digimon Tamers. And now he has a little drawer house to live in, too. Cute episode, and Syaoran has once again gained a powerful card that Sakura's unable to handle. I did like her outfit this time around. It looked very witch-like.

Sailor Moon 31-32

I know I don't talk about the staff behind shows, bar some directors and writers, as often as I should. Should I? Or at least not with any degree of expertise. But I do know that Junichi Sato directed this show, and would later go on to do Sketchbook. Sketchbook's cat episodes were very similar to episode 31 in feel. Seeing Luna and Usagi's positions more or less reversed for a day was fun. Also not surprised that the Sailor V game has a console version. As for the cat being named Rhett Butler, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn...

...because of episode 32 taking place at a hero show. Redman was so doing Kamen Rider 1's poses. (Is his Rider 2 named Methodman? These are important questions.) Tuxedo Umino was fun, and it's at this point I'm starting to realize just how much more the 90s anime was pushing romance compared to Crystal or even the toku version. Almost everyone has a romance subplot, whether they did in the manga or not.

Log Horizon 19-20

Episodes 19 and 20 were absolutely terrific. It was worth waiting through the long (but enjoyable) buildup episodes. I enjoyed seeing the mobilized army take action against the Goblin King, but it was team rookie's various skirmishes that stole the show for me. I was overjoyed to see Minori employ top notch tactics during her battles; her resolve to catch up to Shiroe was not a hollow one (I was willing to write her off after she was rescued).
Rudy's final stand was poignant, and his death was crushing, but his revival really made me really, really happy. Bear in mind, I usually *hate* last minute revivals, but I've been conditioned to expect major "deaths" in these types of animes as a means to evoke sadness. I was genuinely surprised that the writers opted to revive him, and as an adventure no less! After all, what good would it do if the great RUNDEL HAUS CODE was killed off without becoming a true adventurer?!? He's definitely got plenty of room to grow.

Episode 20 I feel, encapsulates Log Horizon in a nutshell. Smart. Creative. Unconventional, and among other things, uplifting. Time and time again, the protagonists overcome seemingly impossible challenges, in a believable way. Thus far, the way LH has handled problems concerning regarding food, quality of life, civil unrest and even
death for NPCs
is nothing short of amazing. So yeah. I Iike this anime. I like it a lot. PLEASE WATCH IT.

PS: Shiroe's seemingly useless sub-class having near infinite potential? I'm all about that.

Yet again someone who reach this part, seeing everyone loving it just make me happy . Yeah LH is legit.. More people should watch it to be ready for the insane S2.
Ps: All the sub classes have infinite potential. it's just that Shiroe was the first to reach the "potential" of the scribe sub class..And even then he needed a bunch of EXTRA RARE materials to do that ...
Can you imagine what could happen with the other sub classes now that it's confirmed that this stuff is possible?
Waiting for the 29th semptember for volume 8 is painfull
*goes crazy*

Ps2: the scribe is NOT an useless sub class, since they are the only ones who can map a dongeon you need one if you want to tackle the extra hard stuff in elder tale. It's just that it's boring to play..

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Cardcaptor Sakura 15

Kero's situation reminded me of what happened to Terriermon in Digimon Tamers. And now he has a little drawer house to live in, too. Cute episode, and Syaoran has once again gained a powerful card that Sakura's unable to handle. I did like her outfit this time around. It looked very witch-like.

Sailor Moon 31-32

I know I don't talk about the staff behind shows, bar some directors and writers, as often as I should. Should I? Or at least not with any degree of expertise. But I do know that Junichi Sato directed this show, and would later go on to do Sketchbook. Sketchbook's cat episodes were very similar to episode 31 in feel. Seeing Luna and Usagi's positions more or less reversed for a day was fun. Also not surprised that the Sailor V game has a console version. As for the cat being named Rhett Butler, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn...

...because of episode 32 taking place at a hero show. Redman was so doing Kamen Rider 1's poses. (Is his Rider 2 named Methodman? These are important questions.) Tuxedo Umino was fun, and it's at this point I'm starting to realize just how much more the 90s anime was pushing romance compared to Crystal or even the toku version. Almost everyone has a romance subplot, whether they did in the manga or not.

The unfortunate part is most of those romance sub-plots didn't amount to anything considering that Sailor Moon is at best known for two relationships.

kasane

aldnoah zero 8

Hey mc just saved us multiple times but fuck him for not saying something confidential

Hey i tried to assassinate the princess. Of course you cant trust martians cause youre a fucking martian yourself

Hey a martian saved us but fuck him again

Fuck

Fireblend

Banned
Ao Haru Ride 8

I am glad we're past Futaba keeping her feelings from Yuuri, at least we only wasted like 1 and a half episodes on that.

The second half shows this relationship is pretty fucked up though. Futaba following Kou and then confronting him like that is some serious codependency shit and she should find some professional help for that. Then Kou decides to teach her a lesson by showing her how easy it'd be to take advantage of her, which is totally uncalled for and causes her to cry, not because he violated her physical space, but because she liked it. Yuuri is absolutely dodging a bullet here if these two wrecks end up together.

Hanayamata 8

Way to fuck it up, Naru. Can't wait for the next arc about you getting over your trauma.

The unfortunate part is most of those romance sub-plots didn't amount to anything considering that Sailor Moon is at best known for two relationships.

3 Relationships

Usagi x Mamoru
Neptune x Uranus
Luna x Artemis

Sailor Moon 31

Watching this episode got me really excited for the new dub, I think Michelle Ruff will kill some of these scenes with Luna being the comedic focus.

Other then that I didn't care for this episode much, at least all 7 rainbow crystals are found so hopefully the plot can move forward again soon.

phaze

Texhnolyze 9-10

Well all that punching practice earlier finally paid off.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

This felt more like a climax to the entire show than just the 10th episode out of 22. They finished off the one and probably the two most active characters who carried the show so far. Will be interesting to see where it will go from here as we finally learned something more of the mythology of the world.

Some great music in this episode and the ED has really grown on me.

One thing I will say is that this has relatively tame violence wise, I remember Shigurui being several grades more disturbing.

Worst shounen dad is Goku.

I honestly think neither Goku or Ging even get close.

Goku is certainly a terrible father but he still spent quite some time with Gohan and it was Piccolo who turned his son into a fighter and has thrown him into life&death battles. With Cell Goku understood he was outclassed and that Gohan's hidden potential is their only chance.
Ging left Gon at a family home with loving relatives. It's entirely Gon's fault that he decided to involve himself with the Hunters and with all the trouble so far.

Minato on the other hand,
(Spoilers for Shippuden 27-249) defeats Tobi and manages to place his teleportation tag on him. That means that he can teleport to him at any time and try to finish him off. Even Tobi wouldn't have known it was coming and he can stay intangible for only 5 minutes. Eventually Minato would have finished the job. Kushina offers to drag the Kyubii back into her so that it might "die" with her and disappear for a while thus solving the immediate "Kurama on rampage in Konoha" problem.

There is a rather a clear and logical path for the best outcome. Minato let's his wife take care of Nine-tails and he takes care of the masked man. Naruto is left with single parent, Konoha loses Kyubii Jinchuiriki but its a meaningless loss as Kushina doesn't control Kurama like Bee does with his Tailed Beast, (side note: the whole Bijuu's as power balancer between villages doesn't make any sense for that reason.) Konoha retains its powerful Hokage who can deal with Uchiha crisis and all other problems, Tobi is dead and Akatsuki doesn't exist. Voila, finito Naruto ends before it even begins.

Now what Minato actually did: He lets Tobi off the hook and tells no one about him, decides to suicide to seal Nine-tails into Naruto, thus condemning him to: be hated by the villagers, the life of an orphan and to being hunted by Tobi for the rest of his life. Great job Minato !

It's just terrible writing from Kishi who couldn't think of a credible way to kill off his Mary Sue. -_-
TLDR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom