• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
It may not have been completely intentional, but it was definitely influenced by racist tropes.

I think it definitely was, however Japan isnt exactly that familiar or exposed to certain races that much so they stereotype because thats what they know about them. Not exactly an immigrant friendly nation.

Midonin

Blue Spring Ride 08

I'm not sure where the idea that Futaba announcing her intentions would automatically lead to a trainwreck came from - or the assumption that any sort of romantic drama is a trainwreck - but that didn't happen. Yuuri understands, there's friendship and bonding, and they'll cross that bridge when they get to it. The conversation at the end of the second half of the episode was a little weird. I'm certain Futaba could handle herself wherever she goes. Other than that, the show continues to be thoroughly pleasant.

cajunator

Banned
Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA 1

...what the hell?

I'm gonna need a lie down, too much mood whiplash.

Oh just you wait!

[Spirited Away]

I've seen this movie numerous, perhaps more than any other Studio Ghibli movie, and I'm still not entirely sure what the point of No Face is. From a storytelling and thematic and even character perspective everything about him is covered by other characters in the story. So why is he even there? I mean he's an iconic character and his scenes are great but he still feels out of place.

I cant think of any other character in the show that represents loneliness and rejection though. Lots of other characters in the show are greedy and selfish, but NoFace just wants a friend.

It may not have been completely intentional, but it was definitely influenced by racist tropes.

The guy probably watched some American movies where a black guy is being stereotypical with guns or cars or something.

The racism in Terra Formars is weird. While the roaches look pretty iffy, there are black characters that look perfectly normal including the intelligent and affable Victoria Wood. On the other hand,
those nameless black characters do nothing but get killed while Victoria ends up being an ineffective villain that gets a humiliating death.

It's also weird because the crews of each mission are very multicultural, exhibiting sympathetic characters from all corners of the world. However, beyond Victoria, there isn't a single named black character (as of yet). That might not have eliminated the racist accusations, but it would have helped. I mean we got badass Mexicans, Russians, Americans, Chinese, Germans, French, etc. Why not an African/African American?

I don't think the author and artist are intentionally racist, but rather just going off some latent ignorance despite all the research they put into different cultures. At the very least, it's not Birth of a Nation levels of racism.

Has the author attempted to defend himself against these claims? Because I'd love to see his reasoning if he can look somebody in the eye and say "It's cool one of my best friends is black"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cultural appropriation happens all the time. It's just that it's usually not that outright negative now because of more cultural awareness. But I mean, it depends on how much research an author chooses to do or whether they even care.

Of course, I'm always reminded of this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baJyUKEHp4U

It's like a Dave Chapelle skit but in some insane bizarro world.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
You know, it probably is based on homo erectus or cromagnon or something like that.
But just the way they're drawn and the situations that they're put in make it really, really easy to say that they were actually based on something else.

----------------------------

Gundam-san 08

Well it worked on Mashymre.

Himegoto 08

If I've learned anything from this show it's that you can be as lewd as you want and it will fly past censors as long as it's a dude

Yeah, that's kinda unfortunate.

But at least it's not like Save the pearl, revealing eden.

Has the author attempted to defend himself against these claims? Because I'd love to see his reasoning if he can look somebody in the eye and say "It's cool one of my best friends is black"

Not yet, but i doubt he care.

Its just a bit too obvious though.
Also holy shit at that Cracked thing.
Not the cracked article, but here's the news about it
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...43851091.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So is anyone still following Captain Earth here? Does it have any redeeming qualities like some decently animated mecha battles? I know MAL score usually doesn't tell that much but 6.69 is pretty fucking bad by MAL standards. I watched the first episode back when it aired but somehow then I just forgot the show and now I am wondering if I should pick it up again.

I'm a couple episodes behind but it's not been great. Very mediocre with lazy writing.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 40
This episode made me feel some kinda way...
I'm really going to miss Sasorina. She was my favorite general out of the 4

Jex

It's not the worst choice I've seen people make. Like watching Carnival Phantasm after Fate/Zero with no knowledge of any of the other series.

Surely the better choice would just be to watch a good show after watching a good show?

zulux21

Blue Spring Ride 08

I'm not sure where the idea that Futaba announcing her intentions would automatically lead to a trainwreck came from - or the assumption that any sort of romantic drama is a trainwreck -

that was pretty much repeatedly pounded into the viewer's head over the course of episode 7, which I feel you might have skipped if you don't know where the idea came from since there was like 10 minutes dedicated to explaining why she felt that way in episode 7 o_O

Mr.Jeff

None of you guys seen Whispers of the Heart besides Fire and NadDam? I recommend it to all!
I feel I should really give Whisper another go one of these days. I watched it a few years ago on the advice on someone who claimed it was one the best films ever made™ and I didn't really enjoy it. Not that I hated it or anything it just did absolutely nothing for me.
Since it was so long ago though, I couldn't really vocalise why I didn't enjoy it.

Fist of the North Star

End of Part 3

A bit of a weak ending,
the climax was over with Souther, Toki vs Raoh. It felt like they didn't know how to end this season and quickly crammed in 1 final villain in the form of Ryuga, who looked too much like previous guys and wasn't as fleshed out, his saga was over in a few episodes. The season ends with 4-5 recap episodes, not good

Shame, other than the ending, the season itself was amazing.

Fist-of-the-North-Star-Screen-35.png

Shu's son sacrificing himself and Shu dying afterwards as well...
Damn, this show is brutal, so many heart wrenching scenes.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm just here to offer my weekly praise to Barakamon. Last episode was great and very cute/heartwarming. Thanks Barakamon, for making me appreciate anime again.

Midonin

that was pretty much repeatedly pounded into the viewer's head over the course of episode 7, which I feel you might have skipped if you don't know where the idea came from since there was like 10 minutes dedicated to explaining why she felt that way in episode 7 o_O
I wasn't asking why Futaba felt that way. I was asking why the viewers felt that way.

Just because Futaba is the protagonist doesn't mean she's precognizant. She thought it would have adverse consequences, but like anybody else she's prone to misreading the situation. Yuuri also has her own demons to work out privately, but in a society where tatemae is important, and in a story where Yuuri is appreciative of the friendship she was shown only a few episodes ago - the universe didn't quite go how Futaba expected it. And that's alright, that's what makes stories interesting.

Also, I feel the second part of that statement was more important than the first part.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 41
So Dark Precure has needed all this time to recover. Didn't think she was hurt that bad. Although it looks like she's just about done now.

zulux21

Also, I feel the second part of that statement was more important than the first part.

I hadn't seen the episode when I first responded (I have now)
The conversation seems ok though. Where Kou was I didn't see a single female, and she was getting stalked by a few guys. She might be able to handle herself in a one on one situation but if 5 guys teamed up on her there is no way she would come out alright, and I feel that is what he was mostly worried about.

I'm still following it, but it's unlikely that there will be something to capture your interest there if you weren't interested to begin with/a BONES fan.
There are far better mech series with better animation to watch.
I think it was actually starting to turn for the better, but the latest episode kind of reversed that.

It's not bad. It's just not great. I like it, it has good animation, decent action, and fun characters.

I'm a couple episodes behind but it's not been great. Very mediocre with lazy writing.

Thanks for your answers! Maybe I watch it sometime in future after it has fully aired if I am feeling too bored and need some modern mecha action. I have liked some shitty shows so I could even like it lol.

Midonin

I hadn't seen the episode when I first responded (I have now)
I meant the second part of the statement you quoted. The "all romantic drama is automatically a trainwreck [to some viewers]."

Because what makes romance drama acceptable, exactly? Because most times it comes up, it hasn't been very well received, but not having it is placing an arbitrary limiter on stories that I don't wholly agree with.

Because, once again, people are liking Nozaki making fun of these kinds of stories, but I hope there's still some appreciation for the genuine article.

I'm just here to offer my weekly praise to Barakamon. Last episode was great and very cute/heartwarming. Thanks Barakamon, for making me appreciate anime again.

Barakamon is my anime of the season, and I don't even know why that is. I have no idea why I like the show since I've never been hard up on slice of life until recently, but it's like there's something there I just can't look away from. I know next to nothing about Japanese calligraphy either lol

Hmmm she is definitely not the worst girl.

Sakura is the best route/girl in my opinion. I'm still sad they aren't doing Heaven's feel for the anime. On the bright side it's not fucking Deen so there's something to be happy about.

zulux21

I meant the second part of the statement you quoted. The "all romantic drama is automatically a trainwreck [to some viewers]."

Because what makes romance drama acceptable, exactly? Because most times it comes up, it hasn't been very well received, but not having it is placing an arbitrary limiter on stories that I don't wholly agree with.

Because, once again, people are liking Nozaki making fun of these kinds of stories, but I hope there's still some appreciation for the genuine article.
ah, well I figure if you feel all drama is a train wreck you really shouldn't be watching drama romances :p
I think it really comes down to if it feels forced or more natural. In a show like Nana a lot of the drama feels more natural to me, while in a lot of the more standard cliche romance anime the drama tends to be really forced. So far while blue spring has some forced drama most of it feels pretty natural to me.

Is Baby Steps any good? I liked episode 1.

if you liked the first episode you will likely continue to enjoy it. the pacing for the show has been way better than most sports anime.

read the manga, not only is it better paced, the drawings are better and not as ugly as the anime.

I look forward to reading the manga after the anime, but as someone who has only seen the anime I can't say I have any real complaints about the pacing.

Barakamon is my anime of the season, and I don't even know why that is. I have no idea why I like the show since I've never been hard up on slice of life until recently, but it's like there's something there I just can't look away from. I know next to nothing about Japanese calligraphy either lol

Sakura is the best route/girl in my opinion. I'm still sad they aren't doing Heaven's feel for the anime. On the bright side it's not fucking Deen so there's something to be happy about.

Well if you think about it Heaven's Feel being a movie adaption makes so much sense. Since it's the darkest route compared to the others. So it won't be censored as a TV adaption would be. The only thing I'm worried about is how many movies are there gonna be, because if it's one it's gonna be rushed.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 42
Using the power of love for evil is not cool.

Also, the OP changed again to show
Coupe fighting?
Oh my. This could be fun.

Jarmel

Banned
[Whispers of the Heart]

I don't seem to remember the very final scene of this movie bothering me many years ago when I first watched this film but something about it doesn't sit right with me now. It feels far too 'easy'. I'm not surprised to hear Miyazaki say that it was all his idea.

Beyond that complaint it's a fantastic movie.

Just wanted to point out that the ending almost near ruined the film for me. That add the unnecessary love 'triangle' stuff.

Jex

time for obligatory "watch only yesterday" recommendation

After recommending a swathe of (mostly) Ghibli movies I've suddenly become too lazy to recommend individual titles but yes, Only Yesterday is certainly the right choice for those looking for more 'grounded' Ghibli.

Jex

I feel I should really give Whisper another go one of these days. I watched it a few years ago on the advice on someone who claimed it was one the best films ever made™ and I didn't really enjoy it. Not that I hated it or anything it just did absolutely nothing for me.
Since it was so long ago though, I couldn't really vocalise why I didn't enjoy it.

Well, now you have a chance at redemption!
Just wanted to point out that the ending almost near ruined the film for me. That add the unnecessary love 'triangle' stuff.

A triangle needs three sides!

But in all seriousness, with regards to the ending of Whispers of the Heart (spoilers, duh)
Would it be so hard for him just to tell that he loved her? Anything else isn't just unnecessary, it's downright unlikely.

The fact that Miyazaki had to personally defend his decision shows how off base he was. Now, I don't have the direct quote in Japanese and I don't know how good the translation is but most places seem to say he said something like "I wanted to make a conclusion, a definite sense of ending. Too many young people now are afraid of commitment, and stay on moratorium forever. I wanted these two to just commit to something, not just 'well, we'll see what will happen'." The language in that quote clearly shows Miyazaki imposing his own views onto the characters as opposed to these characters organically reaching such a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom