• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosick 03

B5HEJ3B.jpg

Fortune teller, hares, World War 1 and murdering orphans. It's all connected. Exchange student Kujo mentions that he is the third son of a imperial soldier as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The second movie was the one they tacked in a dumb love triangle subplot and tricking Evangeline Lilly into accepting the role promising they wouldn't do something like this. Not to mention all the silly and dull action scenes sprinkled throughout the entire movie.
I have just heard that people seem to like a barrel scene. lol

If you've ever seen the South Park episode about the new Indiana Jones, then it's kind of like that. If you haven't, then imagine my tearful torment as the film did unspeakable things to a book I hold dear to my heart.
That's what Into Darkness was for me. The first Star Trek was a dull attempt at space opera where the stakes made no sense given what I knew about the Star Trek franchise.

I watched one episode of Gosick and found it kind of boring to be honest. Didn't have any real desire to continue watching. Nothing about it really grabbed me, looking back on it.

Midonin

Marimite S3 03

+2 points to the Hanadera students for having Boukenger and Kamen Rider Kabuto cosplay at their school festival. As for Delusional Warrior Kanako Hosokawa, she's a completely different sort of problem for Yumi than Touko. Clingy, desperate, and as Sachiko made clear, it's not entirely certain if love is what's motivating her. That she was using a greenhouse as her metaphor of choice is telling. She doesn't want Yumi to be free, she wants to keep her in a place where she can look at her, but never let her leave, until things become too hot and I am sounding like this is completely off course from the intended message.

Not the first time that Ami Koshimizu has played a stalker obsessed with one of the main girls in a show, either. The similarities are shallow, but I was reminded of the fake Mori Summer in Chu2Koi Ren. And the Mystery Novel Club really screwed up on this one. Nothing bad came of it at all, thankfully. It feels like these two school festival stories are half of a larger one. The Kanako subplot didn't get much resolution here.

Hugstable

Banned
Haruhi Episode 3: Melancholy of Haruhi 2

Not too much different from the last episode, but we do get to see Haruhi and her blackmailing ways. Felt kinda bad for Asahina being a bit used like that :(. The end of the episode is where I'm guessing things are about to get strange, and we finally get a reveal that all is not what it seems.

Gosick 04

Hm... That's not how it works...

Another exchange student named Avril joins the class, the school got a crypt for some reason and the teacher is amazingly interested in getting Kujo friends. 2 more cases is seemingly solved as well using jumping to concl... err... contemplation and a pipe.

Kujo noticing Victorique being scared, and attributing it to her being a girl.

Ah

SAO Season 1, episodes 16-24

Disclaimer: Spoilers ahead, and if you want to chime in please read my later remarks so you don't think that I am a prude.

Well, where should I begin? The way they portraited Asuna in the second half of the season is, putting it lightly, disgusting, and to put it bluntly, sexist. She was one of the strongest characters in the show, from episode 1 to episode 14. She always showed not only physical strength but mental strength. What they did to her in this half of the season (damsel in distress, tentacles, beginning of a rape) was utterly disgusting, and left me with a sour taste in my mouth that even the fights couldn't wipe away. The fanservice in general went up a whole lot in this half, with half the faction leaders being sexualized (a moe girl and a mature woman with big breats, how convenient), and that's not even touching the subject of his sister/cousin. That plotline could've been done so much better (I just finished watching Oreimo so brother/sister things are still fresh on my mind), and they clearly gave her a lot of physical attributes to show off. Her character ingame, Leafa, was dressed up so scantily that it made my head hurt. They also focused a lot more on breast and asses jiggles in the half, even though I know that they also happened on the first half, but a little less.
Some characters had no reason to be the way that they were, like the snail monsters that were actually Sugou's employees. They only did that to have a tentacle scene, which was terrible. Talking about Sugou, I thought that he would be the "smart villain" in comparison to Kayaba's more physical one (even though Kayaba is very smart). But in the end, unfortunately, he wasn't. Why can't there be a tactician villain, for god's sake? I can understand that battles might sell a lot more viewers than just talking, but this series need a smart villain that can solve things without necessarily getting into battle, but still being menacing and not a rapist whiny motherfucker.
About the battles, some of them were good, like the one against the Salamander guy or the one on the bridge, but I still think the ones in the first half of the season were better.
SAO Season 1, Episode 25

This deserves a proper segment. I thought Sugou was dead, since the pain absorber was on 0, but that scene with him on the beginning of the episode was meh at best. I understand why Kirito kept him alive (I'm not one of you yada-yada), but I would've killed that asshole.

Everybody getting back together was a nice ending, though, since my best girl Liz is back. But Aincrad being back makes me happy (I thought it was thousands of times better than those stupid fairy/elves) and sad, since they resorted to something "safe" rather than trying something good (not trying something new, they tried with the elves and failed miserably).

Last remarks: I'm not a prude, I like fanservice and have seen some fanservice focused animes, but I think that everything has a place and a time. SAO turning into a harem anime made me sad, because I liked the story that they tried to tell in the first half, but it seemed like they went completely nuts and appealed to the fanservice fans rather than just doing a nice story like they were doing in the first half. Yes, it wasn't perfect, I myself didn't like some episodes on the first half, but it was miles better than the second.

Kujo noticing Victorique being scared, and attributing it to her being a girl.

So the show gets boring after this? And it was already kind of boring to begin with. I don't think I'll be continuing.

In an industry with so many beta male and 'patriarchy' protagonists that seems like such a small thing in comparison lol

zulux21

Those people don't sound very trustworthy.

it's weird seeing so much hate for gosick in here... you would think it was sword art online levels of popularity where people hate it because it's the cool thing to do and then pretend they hate it because it's a bad show :3 note:
if you can't tell I am not being serious with my SAO comment here.
I am seriously surprised at the hate it's getting in this thread though. I thought it was a pretty decent show, most of the people I know thought it was a pretty decent show, Mal and anidb in general think it's a pretty decent show... yet this thread makes it sound like it's as bad if not worse then eureka seven AO lol.

Link Man

Banned
it's weird seeing so much hate for gosick in here... you would think it was sword art online levels of popularity where people hate it because it's the cool thing to do and then pretend they hate it because it's a bad show :3 note:
if you can't tell I am not being serious with my SAO comment here.
I am seriously surprised at the hate it's getting in this thread though. I thought it was a pretty decent show, most of the people I know thought it was a pretty decent show, Mal and anidb in general think it's a pretty decent show... yet this thread makes it sound like it's as bad if not worse then eureka seven AO lol.

Well, from the 3 episodes I've seen, it reminds me of Another in tone.

PK Gaming

Log Horizon 22

iCg5xFO2ccJCk.gif

Goddamn. GODDAMN. I've always hated, hated, hated, hated Akatsuki's stupid crush on Shiroe. It was tolerable because it was mostly background thing, but his episodes places that crush on the forefront of this episode and makes it a major plotpoint. And now Minori is tangled up in this romantic garbage, which means there's a love triangle. A fucking love triangle. AaAaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Mobile Suit Gundam I (first compilation film)

Uh, maybe I should have just watched the television series instead
. The pacing went to absolute hell after the first hour, though the missing content could be felt to a lesser degree in the first half. On second thought, maybe I don't want to watch the television series if it has even more bad melodramatic scenes.

Probably, I don't remember a lot about the compilation films but a lot of stuff is removed so I wouldn't recommend watching them first. They skip a lot of the more silly stuff people like/hate.
Some scenes are improved though, like the SIEG ZEON scene.

Log Horizon 22

Yeah, not the best part of the show.

zulux21

First half of Another, then.

while I can get the comparison to another (outcasted classmates worried about death when interacting with them) for better or worse (for me better) gosick doesn't degrade into horrible b grade horror movie deaths and story (and while I call it horrible, if it had been a bit better I likely wouldn't have finished Another as I only finished it because the writing and deaths were so bad they were amusing) Beyond that if you are not minding the show just keep watching. If I recall right I actually dropped go sick for a bit when bandai licensed it hoping for a dub as the first half of the series wasn't bad but wasn't super interesting either, but when I picked it back up and finished it I ended up really enjoying the second half.

Your call.
I vaguely recall that episode from when I watched the dub on Toonami back in the day.
Probably, I don't remember a lot about the compilation films but a lot of stuff is removed so I wouldn't recommend watching them first. They skip a lot of the more silly stuff people like/hate.
Some scenes are improved though, like the SIEG ZEON scene.
I was under the impression that it was better to watch the films. I just read that the second film diverges somewhat from the television series and the third film more so.

Jex

Whisper of the Heart:

No wonder Japan's demographics are so fucked up if this is the kind of love story people grew up with.

I hope that isn't your only take away from the movie but considering how it ends, I wouldn't blame you. It's kind of funny how that last scene dramatically changes the focus of the movie, which was basically about working hard to follow you dreams, into something very different.

SAO II Episode 1

It seems like Asuna is getting back to her old self, and that's good. Now, about the plot:
I find interesting that only now they used the kill switch mechanic in a weapon, since that's one of the first things that I thought when someone told me about the anime
. Yes, I know that the OG NervGear could melt people's brains, but I still think this is different.

I understand that if they stopped going to virtual worlds the series would end, but how DUMB can someone be to get inside another VR MMO when
the last major two were complete failures, one even ended with people dying?
I would be scared to death to try something like that again. People will try to compare this to planes, cars, etc, which have had failures and people died, but sorry, it is different.

About the ending, hey look another female sniper. I wonder why they always do this, can't a girl have a rifle or a RPG or a machine gun already?
In before Nichijou, gundere is the best.

EDIT: I wonder what's next (never read the novels). They already did physical combat, then physical + some (a lot of, maybe) magic, now guns. Will the next season be a VR MMO inside mechas? I'll burst out laughing if that happens.

Jex

Mobile Suit Gundam I (first compilation film)

Uh, maybe I should have just watched the television series instead. The pacing went to absolute hell after the first hour, though the missing content could be felt to a lesser degree in the first half. On second thought, maybe I don't want to watch the television series if it has even more bad melodramatic scenes.

Three movies better than 50 episodes of TV. No one said old anime, or even influential anime, was good anime!

zulux21

SAO II Episode 1

It seems like Asuna is getting back to her old self, and that's good. Now, about the plot:
I find interesting that only now they used the kill switch mechanic in a weapon, since that's one of the first things that I thought when someone told me about the anime
. Yes, I know that the OG NervGear could melt people's brains, but I still think this is different.

I understand that if they stopped going to virtual worlds the series would end, but how DUMB can someone be to get inside another VR MMO when
the last major two were complete failures, one even ended with people dying?
I would be scared to death to try something like that again. People will try to compare this to planes, cars, etc, which have had failures and people died, but sorry, it is different.

About the ending, hey look another female sniper. I wonder why they always do this, can't a girl have a rifle or a RPG or a machine gun already?
In before Nichijou, gundere is the best.
I feel like you need to watch more Black Lagoon

Jex

I vaguely recall that episode from when I watched the dub on Toonami back in the day.

I was under the impression that it was better to watch the films. I just read that the second film diverges somewhat from the television series and the third film more so.

The films diverge from the series for good reason. That's why they're universally (well, from everyone I've read/listened too) recommended as the correct viewing choice.

Mature

The films diverge from the series for good reason. That's why they're universally (well, from everyone I've read/listened too) recommended as the correct viewing choice.
Someone could have mentioned this to me sooner! I'll put these on the watch list.

zulux21

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/taleran/JJBA/OHMYGOD.jpg[img]

Please tell me there isn't a love square in the imminent future...[/QUOTE]

there isn't a love square in the imminent future...
happy?

[SPOILER]note: I haven't seen log horizon so I haven't a clue what I am talking about, it just seemed like you needed to hear that :P[/SPOILER]

[ig]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/taleran/JJBA/OHMYGOD.jpg[/img]

Please tell me there isn't a love square in the imminent future...

If you really need to know
there's a minor one between the ninja the priest, but it's more like they both know the other is also interested but isn't willing to give up.

It's a dumb unnecessary portion to the show but I like to see it as an acknowledgment that some folks really deeply care about Shiroe and that not everybody sees him as a villain but much more.

Someone could have mentioned this to me sooner! I'll put these on the watch list.

You can do whichever really. I'm more a follower of "do the originals first, everything else after" regardless of quality or age, there are some exceptions like REmake though. You can get by on the movies, just not the Zeta ones.

OHMYGOD.jpg

Please tell me there isn't a love square in the imminent future...

You're safe.
Until S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom