• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosick 06

9D1soWA.jpg

What kind of man are you Kujo? :p

It's an episode all about a hat. Oh, and a thieving nun, a mother that's a murderer and wolf people.

Jex

gdgd fairies 2

gdgdf2.jpg

ive only seen two eps but the general gist is these little cg fairies talking about all the little things you dont think about but know has you legit shook as fuck to the core in modern day living and then they say what you've been thinking all along like it aint shit and then y'all like
weebay.png
whew.png

basically what im trying to say is this is the most relevant philosophical work in contemporary society, the age of postphilosophy (and no zizek doesnt count even if he owns he aint fukken relevant to anyone other than bitter pretentious wanker commies like me)
You didn't even dwell on the amazing next episode preview:

Of course, the true draw of the show is the sequences where the actresses just ad-lib over some insane, and shitty, 3d animation.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
People are easy to please
eh, after participating in these threads for ~the past year on and off, I really don't see this concept as a bad thing.. There is so much bitching, whining, tearing apart/down, roasting, etc shows in this thread that it's like "why bother watching anime/movies if you have to 'suffer through' like 100 titles just to find one title you find 'passable'?" I would honestly just stop watching/reading anime/movies/books/manga/tv/etc if I experienced them through hyper-critical standards that many in this thread (or similar fan/community threads) do.

case in point:

Rail Wars 8
Actually not bad.. We finally get back to Takayama actually conducting a train, leading a crew, and everyone working together. We also got a pretty decent anime version of the cover to Rail Wars Vol. 3.. The scene with Noa (at the end of last episode and beginning of this one) was a little "why did that happen?" but aside from that a fun episode.

Aldnoah Zero 8
Kind of a wtf episode. everything sucks. then for a brief second it all comes together. then it sucks again. I've been a fan of the series (aside from martian mecha designs) up to now, so I'll give them a benefit of the doubt that they are going somewhere with this.

PK Gaming

Oh, that's a relief.

I actually don't mind Minori's crush on Shiroe, because she does more than just blush and mutter "Shikun..." The heart 2 heart that she had with her brother regarding Shiroe was actually somewhatsweet, and like she resolved to help Shiroe even more, rather than angst in her room.

As long as Henrietta doesn't get involved, i'm fine with the love triangle.

SAO II Episode 2

Wow, Shinon had one episode and she already won me over. Powerful, smart, confident, she's the female that this anime needed so bad after the end of S1. I watched the OP and
Kirito will probably be a woman this season? If so, I wonder how the interactions will be, since he is a magnet for girls usually. Also, that lightsaber battle, haha cannot believe that they will do it.

Everybody happy on the end of the episode was fine, except for
the tentacles, again. I hate tentacles.

Oh, that's a relief.

I actually don't mind Minori's crush on Shiroe, because she does more than just blush and mutter "Shikun..." The heart 2 heart that she had with her brother regarding Shiroe was actually somewhatsweet, and like she resolved to help Shiroe even more, rather than angst in her room.

As long as Henrietta doesn't get involved, i'm fine with the love triangle.

school girl crush is fine, but the implication this girl who is so much younger than the guy she's into wants to date him is messing me up because it's gone past school girl crush and into anime territory

Jex

eh, after participating in these threads for ~the past year on and off, I really don't see this concept as a bad thing.. There is so much bitching, whining, tearing apart/down, roasting, etc shows in this thread that it's like "why bother watching anime/movies if you have to 'suffer through' like 100 titles just to find one title you find 'passable'?" I would honestly just stop watching/reading anime/movies/books/manga/tv/etc if I experienced them through hyper-critical standards that many in this thread (or similar fan/community threads) do.
A number of people in this thread have fairly high standards when it comes to the content they consume so it's just natural that when they experience a bad show that they'll write about why it sucked. I don't see this is as a problem at all. Their sacrifice saves me time because it means that I know what shows to avoid.

zulux21

A number of people in this thread have fairly high standards when it comes to the content they consume so it's just natural that when they experience a bad show that they'll write about why it sucked. I don't see this is as a problem at all. Their sacrifice saves me time because it means that I know what shows to avoid.

Indeed, in general communities like this are great to find people with similar tastes in which you know if they liked a show or hated a show you likely will as well..

on the flip side you can also find people with basically opposite tastes as you and know when they hate a show you will likely enjoy it and when they like a show you will likely hate it :p

So far I am closer on the second path then the first path as I haven't really found anyone with similar tastes to me in this thread yet lol (at least not in the vocal members :p)

SAO II Episode 3

Damnit, that trauma. I feel sorry for her, and those bully girls made me want to frigging kill them. Also, am I weird for thinking that
Death Gun is Sinon's friend?
The way that he reacted to the picture was different, and his hair could match.
Sinon also said that she was surprised by his amount of log hours, so that could be a clue. I dont know, just speculating here.

Almost forgot:
even the nurse is hitting on Kirito? C'mon son...

Midonin

Prisma Illya 2wei 08

Luvia's house was totaled there. I know that Bazett comes from Ataraxia, but beyond that, I'm not very familiar with her. All the mainline Fate anime never covered this material. The endgame is definitely on, and the thing that Rin saw looks to be foretelling of a battle to come. I've been enjoying this season so far, both the actiony parts and the daily life parts.

TUSR

Banned

I've been wondering if you and a few members (Corvo, firehawk, admiralwoof) have an absolute must watch list of shows, I need to educate myself on good anime.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam I (first compilation film)

Uh, maybe I should have just watched the television series instead. The pacing went to absolute hell after the first hour, though the missing content could be felt to a lesser degree in the first half. On second thought, maybe I don't want to watch the television series if it has even more bad melodramatic scenes.

I haven't seen the movies so I don't know. If this was the first third of the series, though, the only major moments I can think of would be Ral's, Ryu's, and Garma's.

I kinda think MSG has way less melodrama than Zeta, though.

Hugstable

Banned
Haruhi Episode 4: The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya

Okay everything is officially way outta order. Everyone is all super buddy buddy now, we have a new club member guy who came out of nowhere and is really good friends with everyone already, and we have Asahina mentioning friend from a time period? WUT

I've been wondering if you and a few members (Corvo, firehawk, admiralwoof) have an absolute must watch list of shows, I need to educate myself on good anime.

Have you seen Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica yet? Those are my 2 favorite animes. Also if you haven't seen them yet, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are also classics and really easy to get into.

cajunator

Banned
Was looking through your movie list and grabbed a few of them to watch. Also added Millenium Actress to my list as well.

Nozaki-Kun 1-4

Definitely my AOTS if you don't count Mahouka being a guilty pleasure. The whole cast has their own quirks and are lovable in their own way. Someone told me new characters will stop being introduced soon which im looking forward to. The one episode exposition of each introduced character was done well.

Is that "The Adventures of Mikuru"? I don't think I ever watched that episode.

My mission in life should be getting people to watch this movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haruhi Episode 4: The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya

Okay everything is officially way outta order. Everyone is all super buddy buddy now, we have a new club member guy who came out of nowhere and is really good friends with everyone already, and we have Asahina mentioning friend from a time period? WUT
Oh my god, old KyoAni character designs are scary. Say what you will about modern KyoAni, but K-On saved them. :p

I think it's good/key to have a mix of both the critical mindset and just the "eh fuck it this looks decent I'll watch it" mindset

school girl crush is fine, but the implication this girl who is so much younger than the guy she's into wants to date him is messing me up because it's gone past school girl crush and into anime territory

I'll always think of it as just misplaced affection, like Schierke with Guts.

I haven't seen the movies so I don't know. If this was the first third of the series, though, the only major moments I can think of would be Ral's, Ryu's, and Garma's.

I kinda think MSG has way less melodrama than Zeta, though.

For sure.
Less slapping too.

TUSR

Banned
Have you seen Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica yet? Those are my 2 favorite animes. Also if you haven't seen them yet, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are also classics and really easy to get into.

Madoka yes, and the recap movies. Haven't watched the third movie because I needed a break from it. Im almost about ready to watch it.

God those Haruhi subtitles are hideous on CR.

My mission in life should be getting people to watch this movie.

Was it this thread or last someone was commenting about someones most pretentious work being Millennium Actress? Regardless, I heard this is a great movie and is definitely on the top of my list.

I'll always think of it as just misplaced affection, like Schierke with Guts.

That's what I'm hoping it is, because the relationship between Schierke and Guts is very sweet since it's a father daughter relationship between a man who usually never shows his sweet affectionate side, and a girl
who doesn't have parental figures

cajunator

Banned
Crap. I got no time to rewatch Haruhi before CR loses it.

Luckily Haruhi is very popular and should show up again fairly soon.
That it and other shows become inaccessible at all is a disservice to anime fans.

Yeah it was that episode where you had one girl in the bunny suit and another in the witch costume. I have no idea what was really going on besides the end of it in which you find out they were filming some movie, which explains the weird look and aspect ratio. Thanks for the weird film SOS brigade...

This was the first episode a lot of people saw.
It was very confusing at first. It didnt make a lot of sense and people were confused about what kind of show to expect.

zulux21

Luckily Haruhi is very popular and should show up again fairly soon.
That it and other shows become inaccessible at all is a disservice to anime fans.

It might be a bit of a disservice to anime fans, but I can't really fault CR for losing access to shows from time to time, especially shows that likely have only been watched a handful of times in the last few months.

Haruhi and lucky star likely have been watched a bit more, but a competing service now owns the rights to them so they can't really do much there unless they work out a new contract (which funimation likely would have made it so they couldn't when they acquired the rights)

cajunator

Banned
The Tsundere of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 2 (Just so it's known I'm watching broadcast order)

Well this episode at least makes sense and now we get some character introductions. Haruhi is alot crazier than I thought since she really wants to talk to aliens, but her changing her haircut everyday was kinda cute. Seems like a high school club style anime so far, but hearing that there are multiple ways to watch this show has me thinking something crazy is gonna happen soon, especially with the fact that everything airs out of order. What am I in for lol?

Also damn son you just got Onegai'd!!!

For many who saw the student film first this was a complete 180 and confused the hell out of people. It just introduced Haruhi and showed her as a disinterested moody girl. The real fun is when you start to discover why and the secrets surrounding her.

cajunator

Banned
Gosick 01

Inappropriate touching.

So, an exchange student who gets an unfortunate nickname, a strange mystery-solving bored girl and a pompadour detective in 1920s Europe. Not the most common setting then, although it's still set in a school for the first part of the episode.

Gosick 02

A fake ship, lots of people gets killed and mystery-solving girl Victorique laughs a lot.

Gosick is a more fun mystery show than Hyouka. Its the sort of stuff I expected from it actually. Victorique is adorable anyway with her trademark deadpan laughing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It might be a bit of a disservice to anime fans, but I can't really fault CR for losing access to shows from time to time, especially shows that likely have only been watched a handful of times in the last few months.

Haruhi and lucky star likely have been watched a bit more, but a competing service now owns the rights to them so they can't really do much there unless they work out a new contract (which funimation likely would have made it so they couldn't when they acquired the rights)

That is the way the legal game is played sadly.

Hugstable

Banned
For many who saw the student film first this was a complete 180 and confused the hell out of people. It just introduced Haruhi and showed her as a disinterested moody girl. The real fun is when you start to discover why and the secrets surrounding her.

Yeah after episode 4 everything is getting really cryptic. We get one shot of some beast really quick during their baseball game and Asahina with some weird messaging. Plus everything that Kyon and the new guy were talking about has me really confused as well.
The fate of the world is tied to Haruhi's mood? WAT

Syrinx

So when I watch Haruhi later, is there absolutely anu reason at all for me to watch the rest of Endless Eight (save the last one since I assume the cycle breaks)? Any reason at all?

Midonin

So when I watch Haruhi later, is there absolutely anu reason at all for me to watch the rest of Endless Eight (save the last one since I assume the cycle breaks)? Any reason at all?
From a purely animation perspective. It's a chance for different animators to present their take on it.

TUSR

Banned

There are minor difference between the episodes, its not really worth your time to watch them. I actually enjoyed them, I think.

cajunator

Banned
That is pretty much what it is. A slice of life club anime with some sci-fi elements. There is a continuing story but the plot isn't anything amazing.

Haruhi is a lot more than just a slice of life storywise but it retains that kind of feel.
I liked that there is a lot more going on beneath the surface but eventually it just starts getting bizarre.

Why are people watching Gosick now? Is it because CR is about to take it down? Lol.

Its about to expire on CR. but why did people pick Gosick of all things on that list?

I watched one episode of Gosick and found it kind of boring to be honest. Didn't have any real desire to continue watching. Nothing about it really grabbed me, looking back on it.

Its not the most amazing show. Victorique is pretty cute but not very unique either. ON a whole a person could easily ignore its existence and not really miss anything of note.

zulux21

the reason I said to watch eps 1 2 and 8 of endless eight are because (minor endless eight spoilers)
the first 2 eps have a decent number of changes between them (the second ep goes through the content of the first ep quickly and thus covers some new stuff) eps 3-7 are just ep 2 over and over again with minor changes such as different swimsuits and some numbers getting a little higher.

Its about to expire on CR. but why did people pick Gosick of all things on that list?

because it's the best show on that list that isn't being immediately saved by funimation >.>; (I haven't seen my ordinary life... aside from that though the other shows are pretty bad :p)

School Days 3
More overly aggressive Itou and awkward apologizing with Itou being dense as hell and a fun day at the Katsura residence. Also other characters were shown seeming like they have importance but I don't really recall those characters having names

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Watch all 8 episodes at the same time.

Other than that I'd say not really.

Also everybody should be watching Nichijou. Gosick was pretty terrible :(

Every episode is completely reanimated and revoiced from the previous. The script is almost 100% the same each episode.

SAO II Episode 4

Wait, he's a man? Not a girl? What the hell? I laughed when he faked being a girl for Sinon.

Also, that "converting" thing is an easy way for the writers just make Kirito uber in every world that he ever goes to, sigh. Can't deny that I liked the agility minigame that he played, and the motorcycle part was awesome.

Hugstable

Banned
Watch all 8 episodes at the same time.

Other than that I'd say not really.

Also everybody should be watching Nichijou. Gosick was pretty terrible :(

I'm saving Nichijou for once I finish Haruhi and Lucky Star. Also I think I'm only gonna watch the first, second and last part of whatever the endless 8 is, since I heard everything else is basically the same but with a few art differences.

cajunator

Banned
Haruhi Episode 3: Melancholy of Haruhi 2

Not too much different from the last episode, but we do get to see Haruhi and her blackmailing ways. Felt kinda bad for Asahina being a bit used like that :(. The end of the episode is where I'm guessing things are about to get strange, and we finally get a reveal that all is not what it seems.

Haruhi is one of the most manipulative characters in all of anime. She can make almost anything happen
literally in this case

So there are 10 days left and Under the Dog hasn't reached half of its funding goal. I don't think it's going to make it, guys.

You can usually tell from the momentum of the first few days whether or not something will meet goal. Under the Dog never had any momentum to speak of.

I'm saving Nichijou for once I finish Haruhi and Lucky Star. Also I think I'm only gonna watch the first, second and last part of whatever the endless 8 is, since I heard everything else is basically the same but with a few art differences.

Watch all of it! Gotta get the full experience ;)

cajunator

Banned
it's weird seeing so much hate for gosick in here... you would think it was sword art online levels of popularity where people hate it because it's the cool thing to do and then pretend they hate it because it's a bad show :3 note:
if you can't tell I am not being serious with my SAO comment here.
I am seriously surprised at the hate it's getting in this thread though. I thought it was a pretty decent show, most of the people I know thought it was a pretty decent show, Mal and anidb in general think it's a pretty decent show... yet this thread makes it sound like it's as bad if not worse then eureka seven AO lol.

Gosick is not hated in here like SAO so much as people are simply indifferent to it.

SAO II Episode 1

It seems like Asuna is getting back to her old self, and that's good. Now, about the plot:
I find interesting that only now they used the kill switch mechanic in a weapon, since that's one of the first things that I thought when someone told me about the anime
. Yes, I know that the OG NervGear could melt people's brains, but I still think this is different.

I understand that if they stopped going to virtual worlds the series would end, but how DUMB can someone be to get inside another VR MMO when
the last major two were complete failures, one even ended with people dying?
I would be scared to death to try something like that again. People will try to compare this to planes, cars, etc, which have had failures and people died, but sorry, it is different.

About the ending, hey look another female sniper. I wonder why they always do this, can't a girl have a rifle or a RPG or a machine gun already?
In before Nichijou, gundere is the best.

EDIT: I wonder what's next (never read the novels). They already did physical combat, then physical + some (a lot of, maybe) magic, now guns. Will the next season be a VR MMO inside mechas? I'll burst out laughing if that happens.

Sinon is a cutie but my favorite anime sniper is still Maya from Burn Up W. She was so excited to shoot things.

I feel like you need to watch more Black Lagoon

This is excellent advice!

zulux21

Gosick is not hated in here like SAO so much as people are simply indifferent to it.

There are plenty of people calling it terrible in here :p It's of course not hated like SAO... SAO is popular thus it's always realavent to hate on it, Gosick really didn't have a following as far as I know so it's kind of pointless to hate on it unless it is brought up :p

I am going to take a random guess and assume that Heaven's Memo Pad/Kami-sama no Memochou was liked more around here then gosick?

Branduil

There are plenty of people calling it terrible in here :p It's of course not hated like SAO... SAO is popular thus it's always realavent to hate on it, Gosick really didn't have a following as far as I know so it's kind of pointless to hate on it unless it is brought up :p

I am going to take a random guess and assume that Heaven's Memo Pad/Kami-sama no Memochou was liked more around here then gosick?

Kami-sama no what?

zulux21

Of the three girl detective series, my personal favorite is Dantalian. I view Gosick and KamiMemo equally.

I never actually got around to finishing Dantalian no Shoka... I don't remember disliking it, but I don't remember it grabbing me either.... to be fair in general I just don't really remember it >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom