• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Never watched it, will try to soon.

Can't say that I've never seen her, not gonna say where though.

Watch Black Lagoon. Its quite the entertaining series!

eh, after participating in these threads for ~the past year on and off, I really don't see this concept as a bad thing.. There is so much bitching, whining, tearing apart/down, roasting, etc shows in this thread that it's like "why bother watching anime/movies if you have to 'suffer through' like 100 titles just to find one title you find 'passable'?" I would honestly just stop watching/reading anime/movies/books/manga/tv/etc if I experienced them through hyper-critical standards that many in this thread (or similar fan/community threads) do.

case in point:

Rail Wars 8
Actually not bad.. We finally get back to Takayama actually conducting a train, leading a crew, and everyone working together. We also got a pretty decent anime version of the cover to Rail Wars Vol. 3.. The scene with Noa (at the end of last episode and beginning of this one) was a little "why did that happen?" but aside from that a fun episode.

Aldnoah Zero 8
Kind of a wtf episode. everything sucks. then for a brief second it all comes together. then it sucks again. I've been a fan of the series (aside from martian mecha designs) up to now, so I'll give them a benefit of the doubt that they are going somewhere with this.

Personally I detest very few shows. Im vocal about mainly one of them and that is SAO.
I feel it deserves every bit of hate that it gets. I would agree that this community is pretty tough on anime shows in general though. We dont hate EVERYTHING.

SAO II Episode 2

Wow, Shinon had one episode and she already won me over. Powerful, smart, confident, she's the female that this anime needed so bad after the end of S1. I watched the OP and
Kirito will probably be a woman this season? If so, I wonder how the interactions will be, since he is a magnet for girls usually. Also, that lightsaber battle, haha cannot believe that they will do it.

Everybody happy on the end of the episode was fine, except for
the tentacles, again. I hate tentacles.

Shinon is the beacon of hope in SAO2. Im really afraid the show is going to ruin her somehow and sadly Im kind of preparing for it. In the meantime I shall lay all this shows hopes on her.

cajunator

Banned
Haruhi Episode 4: The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya

Okay everything is officially way outta order. Everyone is all super buddy buddy now, we have a new club member guy who came out of nowhere and is really good friends with everyone already, and we have Asahina mentioning friend from a time period? WUT

Have you seen Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica yet? Those are my 2 favorite animes. Also if you haven't seen them yet, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are also classics and really easy to get into.

There is a good reason Mikuru said that.
The show is a lot more than it seems. Youll see soon enough. Its really rather strange how it plays out but amusing and definitely fun.

Madoka yes, and the recap movies. Haven't watched the third movie because I needed a break from it. Im almost about ready to watch it.

God those Haruhi subtitles are hideous on CR.

Was it this thread or last someone was commenting about someones most pretentious work being Millennium Actress? Regardless, I heard this is a great movie and is definitely on the top of my list.

Probably this thread but Millennium Actress is not pretentious at all. It is the very best movie showcasing Satoshi Kon's vision and direction style.

cajunator

Banned
It might be a bit of a disservice to anime fans, but I can't really fault CR for losing access to shows from time to time, especially shows that likely have only been watched a handful of times in the last few months.

Haruhi and lucky star likely have been watched a bit more, but a competing service now owns the rights to them so they can't really do much there unless they work out a new contract (which funimation likely would have made it so they couldn't when they acquired the rights)

I understand expiring licenses and competition. However the best thing about physical media is that while the companies might go out of business, the physical copy lives on and can be resold and acquired long after the source of it is gone. Streaming is set up in a way that when something is taken down, its down for good until it is license rescued. There is a time when it is literally impossible to see certain anime shows.

So when I watch Haruhi later, is there absolutely anu reason at all for me to watch the rest of Endless Eight (save the last one since I assume the cycle breaks)? Any reason at all?

Not particularly. However I will admit I havent seen Endless eight even though I have the DVDs. Just a lot of other stuff getting in the way of seeing it.

School Days 3
More overly aggressive Itou and awkward apologizing with Itou being dense as hell and a fun day at the Katsura residence. Also other characters were shown seeming like they have importance but I don't really recall those characters having names

sex object 1, sex object 2, etc Basically who they are is completely irrelevant.

Hugstable

Banned
That is pretty much what it is. A slice of life club anime with some sci-fi elements. There is a continuing story but the plot isn't anything amazing.

Haruhi Episode 5:

LOL this isn't just a basic slice of life anime now, especially with that intro, and we are finally get fed bit of information are Kyon gets to hang out with some of the other characters and finally ask them some questions, even though they barely tell him much of anything going on. Also I noticed this episode happens directly after the 3rd one, and we finally get an introduction to Itsuki.

35S6liG.png

Kyon gets no info

cajunator

Banned
Watch all 8 episodes at the same time.

Other than that I'd say not really.

Also everybody should be watching Nichijou. Gosick was pretty terrible :(

This. Nichijou's humor isnt for everyone and it sometimes misses the mark (like Galaxy angel) but theres enough legit comedy there to make it worthwhile. Humor is very subjective though. to some its the most hilarious thing and to others its just not funny at all. I can see both points.

I've already seen all the KyoAni stuff and Gosick got recommended to me by somebody in the K-On thread a long time ago and 2 people said it was good earlier in this thread.

Fair enough Mike :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Here's an Under the Dog podcast from ANN:

Kickstarted anime Under the Dog producer Hiroaki Yura (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate) , director Masahiro Ando (Sword of the Stranger, Hana-Saku Iroha) and writer Jirō Ishii (Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors, Professor Layton series) stop by to chat up the project!

I only bring this up because it's the first time they've done two versions of a podcast. One in English, translated from the responses:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2014-08-27/.78085

And one in Japanese with the original audio followed by an English translation:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2014-08-27/.78086

I guess that's an easy compromise for something that's audio and you can't throw in subtitles.

Fate/kaleid Illya 2wei 8
Really cool fight scene between Luvia & the butler against the church girl. Very well animated. Looks like next episode will be exciting too

Jex

Indeed, in general communities like this are great to find people with similar tastes in which you know if they liked a show or hated a show you likely will as well..

on the flip side you can also find people with basically opposite tastes as you and know when they hate a show you will likely enjoy it and when they like a show you will likely hate it :p

So far I am closer on the second path then the first path as I haven't really found anyone with similar tastes to me in this thread yet lol (at least not in the vocal members :p)

It's much the same thing as following a particular film critic that you share a similar taste with. They'll hopefully guide you in the right direction, and warn you off stuff that you'll disklike. Of course, the most courageous of critics will show you something that you thought you'd dislike and they'll convince you to try it anyway - but that requires a great deal of trust.

cajunator

Banned
Watch all of it! Gotta get the full experience ;)

Agreed. when I finally tackle Endless Eight Im gonna go all in. No skipping.

There are plenty of people calling it terrible in here :p It's of course not hated like SAO... SAO is popular thus it's always realavent to hate on it, Gosick really didn't have a following as far as I know so it's kind of pointless to hate on it unless it is brought up :p

I am going to take a random guess and assume that Heaven's Memo Pad/Kami-sama no Memochou was liked more around here then gosick?

Its true that people are more aware of SAO so it gets hated more, but its not hated because it is popular, it is hated because its really quite terribly written. People did not initially just choose to hate SAO, it earned that derision. With every passing episode it just got worse. The show even introduced some very likeable side characters with potentially interesting side stories. The problem is it threw those away and instead focused on force feeding the audience an insipid story about a kid who can do no wrong and it turned everyone else into servants for this kid, at the expense of what made it interesting to begin with (the trapped in a videogame narrative). THEN it ditched that premise entirely halfway. It was just a mess and a joke of a series.

I was actually kind of excited for the series based on its premise and got burned along with everybody else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've been wondering if you and a few members (Corvo, firehawk, admiralwoof) have an absolute must watch list of shows, I need to educate myself on good anime.
I made a quick and dirty "off the cuff" list of anime I liked a while ago.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98490842#post98490842

Aria
Gintama
K-On!!
Yamato 2199
Monogatari SS
Sailor Moon
Hyouka
Kimi ni Todoke
Hidamari Sketch
Sora no Woto

But it's basically stuff after 2007 with the exception of Sailor Moon. The 2000s are a huge hole for me.

I think if I wanted to build a "canon" list, I'd throw in stuff like Oniisama e..., Ace wo Nerae, Hana Dori Dango, and even shows I haven't watched like Utena and LOGH (and that Bee of Bop show people seem to be excited about lately).

If I went full weeb, I'd probably say Sazae-san is worth watching, if only because it is the longest running anime/cartoon in the world and there must be something to it that has allowed it to run for 40+ years.

phaze

I just caught up on Naruto and all hell has broken loose. Ninja War 4 is no joke, honestly shocked to see an anime with more powerups than DBZ.

And hot damn Team 7 is holding! The new Three is super jacked.

It's a war where one side consists of Zetsu clones and a mass of Edo Tensei's with only one meaningful casualty so far. It's about as close to a joke as it gets. :p

The fact people are convinced to watch School Days means that the folks giving the recommendations don't have the trust with the party.

I'll watch it soon just so I can finally read all those impressions and reactions. Outside of knowing that
something happens on a boat
I managed to stay spoiler free.

Texhnolyze 12

Toyama is this gentleman really a man you want holding katana anywhere near your vicinity ?

Good episode, the fight arena was a nice throwback to the first episode. My hopes of them showing that woman from the beginning are rising. I'm glad they're finally unravelling the whole "Class" and Raffia business. The dad stuff came bit out of nowhere but the pay off was great. You simply do not mess with Ichise.

cajunator

Banned
I made a quick and dirty "off the cuff" list of anime I liked a while ago.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98490842#post98490842

Aria
Gintama
K-On!!
Yamato 2199
Monogatari SS
Sailor Moon
Hyouka
Kimi ni Todoke
Hidamari Sketch
Sora no Woto

But it's basically stuff after 2007 with the exception of Sailor Moon. The 2000s are a huge hole for me.

I think if I wanted to build a "canon" list, I'd throw in stuff like Oniisama e..., Ace wo Nerae, Hana Dori Dango, and even shows I haven't watched like Utena and LOGH (and that Bee of Bop show people seem to be excited about lately).

If I went full weeb, I'd probably say Sazae-san is worth watching, if only because it is the longest running anime/cartoon in the world and there must be something to it that has allowed it to run for 40+ years.

Thats a good list too. It lacks Kinos Journey and Haibane Renmei but I can accept that list.
Certainly it has some gems on it like Aria and Hidamari. Feel good stuff thats good for you.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thats a good list too. It lacks Kinos Journey and Haibane Renmei but I can accept that list.
Certainly it has some gems on it like Aria and Hidamari. Feel good stuff thats good for you.
Kino and Windy Tales are those backlog shows I'll never get to/finish sadly.

trejo

Edit: Oh, I hadn't realized you were already watching it. Feel free to ignore this post if you intend to continue as there's some pretty big spoilers contained within. :)

I've already seen all the KyoAni stuff and Gosick got recommended to me by somebody in the K-On thread a long time ago and 2 people said it was good earlier in this thread.

Gosick is garbage, don't waste your time. One of the "mysteries" revolves around
black people being nigh invisible during nighttime
I shit you not. There's also some pretty disgusting scenes later on involving
the main loli's mom, who just so happens to look exactly like her daughter despite being an adult woman all for the sake of pulling off a super contrived scene near the end of the show

No, seriously, it's shit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wolf's Rain 15-18

4 straight recap episodes. At least it's all on one disc. On to episode 19.

What was the deal with that anyway?

Enjoyed the show quite a bit but that recap thing was just bizarre. More offensive than Endless 8 honestly. Maybe there was a good reason for it dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom