• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 17

Something scarier than any bedsheet ghost is actual magic that nobody outside of a few can explain. I'm liking the way all the cards are being put to use here, and Float's debut moment felt like something out of a video game. The bridge is down, so you have to cross it using some MP. Naoko just loves toying with Sakura at this point, and that both Sakura and Syaoran are fighting for Yukito's love shows that this show really does have something for everybody.

I haven't seen the movies so I don't know. If this was the first third of the series, though, the only major moments I can think of would be Ral's, Ryu's, and Garma's.

I kinda think MSG has way less melodrama than Zeta, though.
I assume the pacing of the film fucks with the build up to the more dramatic scenes but the whole thing with Amuro's mom was laughably bad.

cajunator

Banned
Bad ones. A GAINAX level disaster! I mean, some shows have four recap episodes in a 26 episode series but to air them all together is impressive.

Even Chobits only had two. I dont think 4 is necessary.

Cardcaptor Sakura 17

Something scarier than any bedsheet ghost is actual magic that nobody outside of a few can explain. I'm liking the way all the cards are being put to use here, and Float's debut moment felt like something out of a video game. The bridge is down, so you have to cross it using some MP. Naoko just loves toying with Sakura at this point, and that both Sakura and Syaoran are fighting for Yukito's love shows that this show really does have something for everybody.

It amazes me that Sakura is scared of ghosts yet she is a magical girl that deals with spirit cards.

The only question I have for them is how they can afford to license so many shows.
They bid a certain low amount (as low as 1k per episode) and the licensor takes it not knowing if anyone else will bid higher (hint, they won't). Also they have a pretty good drinking partner for TBS.

CorvoSol

I assume the pacing of the film fucks with the build up to the more dramatic scenes but the whole thing with Amuro's mom was laughably bad.

Ah. Hm. Well in the show he meets her rather suddenly, but they do spend the episode sort of going over how Amuro meeting his mom again has drudged up some feelings. Like he finds his doll he'd forgotten about and lugs it around for a scene or two, I think.

Mostly, though, Amuro's relationship with his parents is pretty unhealthy.

Part of me thinks that a lot of Mobile Suit Gundam is stuck in the transitional phase from Super Robot shows of the era to the Real Robot shows that'd follow. Like, it was uncommon for the show's scientist dad to ever catch flak for being an asshole, but at the same time it was pretty common for pilots to not get on very well with their own fathers. Like Getter Robo's Ryoma had this super austere dad who grunts out some approval in G and that's supposed to be kinda moving or how Hayato spends 100+ episodes blaming his dad for his mother's death.

So Amuro sorta falls into this weird bucket of being like them, but at the same time not like them.

Most important of all though is that, for all I think Tomino might actually care about the way war effects women, he doesn't really seem to understand how women think. So often times he tries to be like "See guys? War is terrible because it has driven Amuro away from his mother!" but you look at the episode and it's like "Amuro's mom hella overreacted and stuff got needlessly dramatic."

Hugstable

Banned
Haruhi Episode 6

Well Haruhi is getting exactly what she wanted, this is getting kinda trippy that she just kinda thinks something and it just sorta happens like this. Also I have no idea where this takes place so far, and it sounds a bit like Kyon is a bit less trusting of Itsuki recently. Gonna be interesting to see where this goes, but I have a feeling the next episode is gonna jump around a bit again and I'm not gonna get the conclusion to this yet, I would hope I do, but I have a feeling I won't lol.

jMB5zfw.png

fertygo

What was the deal with that anyway?

Enjoyed the show quite a bit but that recap thing was just bizarre. More offensive than Endless 8 honestly. Maybe there was a good reason for it dunno.

IIRC its related to big earthquake or something that disrupt the airing schedule, please CMIIW.

Branduil

Because you tell a person not to watch a thing, they say "oh it can't be that bad!", then they find out it IS that bad, tell someone else not to watch it and the cycle repeats.

Gosick isn't even so bad it's good though. It's just a mediocre by-the-numbers BONES LN adaptation.

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 9

The answer, the key to unlocking a time loop that had repeated over 15,000 times, was homework. Homework saved the universe.

Because you tell a person not to watch a thing, they say "oh it can't be that bad!", then they find out it IS that bad, tell someone else not to watch it and the cycle repeats.

Are you telling me it IS that bad and not to watch it? Because if that's the case, I won't. Saves me time!

Mahouka 01-02

Finally trying this show out after seeing related paraphernalia from all my Japanese buds. Loved the uniforms from when I first started seeing stuff for it but never bothered to to check it out til now..... Once again not a fan of the creepy brother sister thing but at least the main character jokes about it selfawarely quickly.

Not sure if I like the usual harem themes but eh, seems like silly fun to balance out the other three depressing shows I watch weekly. And to offset the mostly naked dudes in Free.

cajunator

Banned
They bid a certain low amount (as low as 1k per episode) and the licensor takes it not knowing if anyone else will bid higher (hint, they won't). Also they have a pretty good drinking partner for TBS.

I figured it must be a vastly more economical business model than ADV or Geneon had.

Jesus Christ. Why is this a thing?

Does it bother you that people are watching shows you dont like that much?
Its fine to criticize a show but its not wrong for them to give it a watch.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Does it bother you that people are watching shows you dont like that much?
Its fine to criticize a show but its not wrong for them to give it a watch.
Going back to something like Gosick just because it's being removed from a streaming service seems pretty nonsensical to me.

duckroll

What kind of production problems would lead to an entire months worth of recap?

The SARS epidemic in Asia at that time resulted in a number of anime production delays for various reasons, mostly related to the fact that there are various production stages which rely on outsourcing in China and South Korea. Many shows simply skipped episodes or failed to broadcast. BONES chose to make 4 recap episodes instead to fulfill their entire 26 episode contract with FujiTV.

Midonin

Gosick is classier than some other shows. I know when CR announced Mouse was going away, I blazed through that in one afternoon. That was much lewder.

Andrew J.

Prisma Illya 2wei 08

Iri is best troll mom.

Second half delivered a new antagonist and the best sakuga of the season.
Damn, Rin and Luvia got rekt, and Bazett made it look easy! The contrivance that kept Miyu out of the Edelfelt house was a little forced, though.

Who was posting the other day about wanting to see suit!Saber in the upcoming UBW series? I think this new character could scratch that itch.

Gag of the week: Rin knocking Taiga the hell out. No mercy.

phaze

Texhnolyze 13

untitled-1oujyi.png

At least they're even handed when it comes to nudity.

That twist. I have barely any idea what's going on any more.

The prophecy about the legs and Onishi's backstory made it obvious there will be more of that blue haired dip shit. I hate him already.

I'm enjoying this new talkative Ichise. Though given what Ran said, the hard times are coming for him.

Quasar

Well the CR expiries, have been encouraged to do a Omamari Himari rewatch. Enjoying, but I'm pretty easily entertained with catgirls. It does remind me now that the manga finally finished so maybe I'll take a look at that given how brief the anime is.

cajunator

Banned
Well the CR expiries, have encouraged a Omamari Himari rewatch. Enjoying, but I'm pretty easily entertained with catgirls. It does remind me now that the manga finally finished so maybe I'll take a look at that given how brief the anime is.

I might have to watch that show meow instead of later.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 22
So they took down the first ending solely to start inserting an instrumental version of the song in every other episode? Fuck them. Oh, and the insert of the s1 ed song in this episode wasn't nearly as momentous and appropriate as in Motto! 25, but still good.

Also, for once the Magical Stage actually does what it was advertised for i.e. casting high-caliber magic. I guess the time-travel instances count, too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The SARS epidemic in Asia at that time resulted in a number of anime production delays for various reasons, mostly related to the fact that there are various production stages which rely on outsourcing in China and South Korea. Many shows simply skipped episodes or failed to broadcast. BONES chose to make 4 recap episodes instead to fulfill their entire 26 episode contract with FujiTV.

Thanks! I had no idea. Sounds crazy.

zulux21

Going back to something like Gosick just because it's being removed from a streaming service seems pretty nonsensical to me.

how about because it's a decent show that in general outside of this thread was fairly well received (which is why, given it's a more niche show unlike SAO, I am so baffled by all the dislike in this thread for it lol) and thus there are people curious about it and are interested in checking it out before it's no longer able to be legally watched? it's the 222nd highest rated anime of all time on MAL while that alone doesn't mean it will be a good watch for you, it does mean it was a good watch to quite a few people(that is the average score over 62k opinions). in comparison something like love lab is ranked 1174 which is something the pool of people in this thread are quite a bit more fond of :p

If anyone in here has tastes closer to myself instead of the thread in general they will likely find plenty to like from gosick. It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it.

duckroll

Thanks! I had no idea. Sounds crazy.

I remember right after the TV run ended, there were still only rumors that the story would end with 4 OVAs. I was at Anime Expo that year, and Bandai Ent was promoting the show at their panel. During the Q&A I straight up asked if the release would be 26 or 30 episodes, and the producer said "30 episodes". Felt so good.

zulux21

Thats terrible. I cant believe people have the gall to watch what they want to.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was directed at me (with my MAL rankings and not disliking gosick) lol
Branduil and myself haven't exactly seen eye to eye in regards to our opinions on shows (in fact I can't think of a single show I like that I know they like nor a show they hated that I hated :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom