• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

I already watched Gargantia.

It's an anime I haven't seen yet.

Also you have to wait until the next episode impressions before you can guess again otherwise it doesn't count!

Have you really not seen cowboy bebop o_O

my random guess is Nyan Koi! (because no one else will guess it... and why not) but if I get it right before the end I am totally gonna request you watch Sakamichi no Apollon :p

Narag

I know I'd never have picked up Log Horizon, No Game No Life, or Blood-C, for example, without seeing some sort of back-and-forth between those who enjoyed the shows and those who hated them that caught my attention and convinced me to give them a shot.

In a similar vein, I wouldn't have touched NGNL (or thought about giving Log Horizon a go) without your posts on these shows. It's hard to tell if a show is good or not as the "fun things are fun" sentiment, "mal likes it so you should too" nonsense, tumblr gifs, and bad memes make so much of this stuff just run together. It's just bothersome to give something a second look without being given a proper push in the right direction.

Log Horizon was a surprise for most because the show gave off these incredibly average run-of-the-mill forgettable anime vibes from the description and character design. Boy how wrong we were.

Also NGNL showed promise from the beginning, but you really gotta get past the... well you know.

Branduil

My feelings on each episode so far:

Ep1 - Big Meh
Ep2 - Alright
Ep3 - Meh
Ep4 - Good
Ep5 - Pretty Good
Ep6 - Meh
Ep7 - Alright

---

Ep8 - Good
Ep9 - Good
Ep10 - Pretty Good
Ep11 - Pretty Good
Ep12 - Alright
Ep13 - Great

---

Ep14 - Alright
Ep15 - Good
Ep16 - Amazing
Ep17 - Pretty Good
Ep18 - Great
Ep19 - Big Meh
Ep20 - Pretty Good

---

Ep21 - Amazing

1- Alright
2- Alright
3- Big Meh
4- Great
5- Pretty Good
6- Alright
7- Pretty good
8- Meh
9- Amazing
10- Great
11- Great
12- Great
13- Amazing

14- Pretty Good
15- Alright
16- Great
17- Great
18- Great
19- Meh
20- Pretty Good
21- Amazing

duckroll

You know, I'm actually kinda curious what the results would be if we took a detailed poll of a large sample of people who completes the entire series on a scoring of each episode.

JoeFu

Banned
Log Horizon was a surprise for most because the show gave off these incredibly average run-of-the-mill forgettable anime vibes from the description and character design. Boy how wrong we were.

Also NGNL showed promise from the beginning, but you really gotta get past the... well you know.

I only watched NGNL because of Ace Attorney references posted in the thread lol

zulux21

ah ha, this makes more sense... I also saw episode 8 of dandy and found it boring... and that was the one I finally dropped it on... I think... (starts episode 9 lol)

I made it a lot farther into this series then I thought I did lol.

I would love to see a GAF thread where we vote on the best dandy episodes, please do so. We can use it so people who might watch it later know which episodes are worth missing if at all. I mean it's hard because one episode with bad humor might have great animation.

Branduil

You know, I'm actually kinda curious what the results would be if we took a detailed poll of a large sample of people who completes the entire series on a scoring of each episode.

Probably a wide range of conflicting opinions outside of generally agreed-upon weak points like 3 and 19.

Hugstable

Banned

lol yup don't think I'll be watching NGNL. Also isn't Log Horizon another anime that is in a MMO world? Is it actually good? I liked the whole idea of an anime based in MMO world, but SAO was really not good (I haven't watched anything of the new season except the first 2 episodes)

Instro

Would actually be pretty interesting, given the episodic nature of the show. It's pretty easy to grade episode by episode in this case.

1 - Good
2 - Good
3 - Alright
4 - Amazing
5 - Alright
6 - Alright
7 - Really Great
8 - Great
9 - Great
10 - Great
11 - Meh
12 - Amazing
13 - Really Great

14 - Amazing
15 - Great
16 - Amazing
17 - Great
18 - Really Great
19 - Meh
20 - Great
21 - Amazing

Ohohohoho.

You've started one of the greatest shows of all time.

Gurren Lagann is a show that as a whole I really enjoy, but for me it really took a while for it to get going (somewhere between 3 and 6 episodes I can't remember how many) once it got going though I had a blast all the way until the end (aside from like a single episode that I wasn't a fan of) It's likely because the first few eps are actually kind of grounded... (at least for GL) and after that it just goes over the top with everything and is fun to just sit back and enjoy the ride (and not think too much :p)

Fair enough, I'll keep at it.

JoeFu

Banned
lol yup don't think I'll be watching NGNL. Also isn't Log Horizon another anime that is in a MMO world? Is it actually good? I liked the whole idea of an anime based in MMO world, but SAO was really not good (I haven't watched anything of the new season except the first 2 episodes)

Log Horizon is amazing.

I don't know if I have the energy to type out why Log Horizon is so great again, just know that a grand majority of people here who have seen it, which we gain more every time, love it. It actually feels like people stuck in MMO's and figuring out what to do, vs drama drama drama.

Moaradin

1 - Alright
2 - Alright
3 - Meh
4 - Great
5 - Great
6 - Alright
7 - Pretty good
8 - Alright
9 - Amazing
10 - Great
11 - Great
12 - Great
13 - Amazing

14 - Great
15 - Great
16 - Amazing
17 - Amazing
18 - Amazing
19 - Meh
20 - Great
21 - Amazing

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 13

Whoever had the bright idea to make Haruhi God needs to be smacked upside the head, because they gave control of and the fate of the universe in the hands of a narcissistic sociopath who views others as means for whatever bullshit she's got going on in her mind.

Not that this wasn't evident before, but this episode had that on full display possibly moreso than any other.

zulux21

I'm assuming you are talking about
the completely innocent brother and sister relationship?
If you are talking about
the sexualization of an eleven year old girl
? that one I can get (though that one doesn't seem to be the common complaint I hear... it tends to be an after thought)

either way it was easy to over look those given the intelligent writing to the games and overall playful manor of the show (and I typically have a low tolerance for ecchi/pointlessly sexulaized things)

Soma

I think the only Space Dandy episode that i outright didn't like was Ep 6 (Undies vs Vests one)

First 18(ish) minutes were painfully boring and not even that beautiful surfing sequence could save it. :(

Hugstable

Banned
Log Horizon is amazing.

I don't know if I have the energy to type out why Log Horizon is so great again, just know that a grand majority of people here who have seen it, which we gain more every time, love it. It actually feels like people stuck in MMO's and figuring out what to do, vs drama drama drama.

Oh cool I'll definitely be checking it out one I finish watching all the KyotoAni stuff before it leaves Crunchyroll. Seen some .gifs around from it that looked pretty cool, but I've always been weary of MMO shows after SAO lol.

It's time to start a secret anime club.

I still think your secret anime is School Days

Moaradin

I think the only Space Dandy episode that i outright didn't like was Ep 6 (Undies vs Vests one)

First 18(ish) minutes were painfully boring and not even that beautiful surfing sequence could save it. :(

6 would be the weakest episode so far if it wasn't for that surfing sequence. That scenes alone redeems that episode for me.

Narag

I'm assuming you are talking about
the completely innocent brother and sister relationship?
If you are talking about
the sexualization of an eleven year old girl
though that one I can get (though that one doesn't seem to be the common complaint I hear it tends to be an after thought)

either way it was easy to over look those given the intelligent writing to the games and overall playful manor of the show (and I typically have a low tolerance for ecchi/pointlessly sexulaized things)

It's not easy to overlook at all and why I wouldn't recommend the show to most people. In fact, it's a glaring black mark on the show.

Oh cool I'll definitely be checking it out one I finish watching all the KyotoAni stuff before it leaves Crunchyroll. Seen some .gifs around from it that looked pretty cool, but I've always been weary of MMO shows after SAO lol.

I still think your secret anime is School Days

Log Horizon is pretty good. The best "trapped in an MMO" anime there is.

And no, School Days is not my secret anime but it is the best anime 10/10.

It's not easy to overlook at all and why I wouldn't recommend the show to most people. In fact, it's a glaring black mark on the show.

It was definitely one of the worst parts of the show but not the main reason I disliked it.

People watching secret anime are honorbound not to lie about them.

Of course. This is only episode one, so I needed to be vague. I didn't exactly want anybody solving the mystery on day 1!

Like I said before, the hints will get less and less subtle, to a point where there will be pieces of a puzzle to put together.

zulux21

no one in my group of anime watchers had any issues overlooking it. *shrugs* It's disappointing it was there, but it wasn't a main focus or so bad that it ruined the show for us. I imagine if you were in a thread discussing it and looking at screen shots and having people rant about it, it would be harder to ignore, but heck my wife adored the show and she hates ecchi things more than I do lol.

That's not to say it can't be an issue to some, I can understand how it could be a deal breaker to some, but the show has a ton of good in it and to me the sexualization stuff is very minor and not remotely a focus of the show (the worst part of the show was the
bathing scene with jibril and her tentacle shampoo stuff
and even that was pretty tame and minor in the grand scheme of things and compared to actual ecchi anime)

while I am not recommending .hack/sign (I liked it but it's not for everyone, it's one of the original MMO shows (first one I know of but I wouldn't be surprised if there are others)) I would recommend at least checking out it's OST
it's got a fun opening
a fun ending
and a number of fun insert songs
but alas I might just think that because I like the band See-Saw :p

cajunator

Banned
In a similar vein, I wouldn't have touched NGNL (or thought about giving Log Horizon a go) without your posts on these shows. It's hard to tell if a show is good or not as the "fun things are fun" sentiment, "mal likes it so you should too" nonsense, tumblr gifs, and bad memes make so much of this stuff just run together. It's just bothersome to give something a second look without being given a proper push in the right direction.

There is no other way to actually push NGNL except that its fun.

Clov

The first half of Space Dandy S1 had more misses than hits. The second half of S1 was pretty consistent while not really mindblowing. The first half of S2 which has aired so far has been a ton of really impressive hits with only one episode so far which I feel was a total dud.

Yep, this is pretty much how I feel about it too. The second half has put the series in my top five of the year so far; it's been that good!

My thoughts on the series so far:

1-Alright
2-Alright
3-Bad
4-Good
5-Good
6-Bad
7-Good
8-Alright
9-Great
10-Alright
11-Good
12-Good
13-Good

14-Good
15-Alright
16-Amazing
17-Great
18-Great
19-Bad
20-Good
21-Amazing

sonicmj1

Dandy list time:

1- Bad
2- Alright
3- Bad
4- Alright
5- Good
6- Alright
7- Great
8- Alright
9- Awesome
10- Great
11- Good
12- Great
13- Awesome

14- Good
15- Alright
16- Awesome
17- Awesome
18- Great
19- Bad
20- Great
21- Great

zulux21

There is no other way to actually push NGNL except that its fun.

The games are typically well written with a fun game of cat and mouse. They tend to be hard to fully predict how they will go (outside of the end result) and you are often left wondering where the main character is going with things, typically leading to a conclusion that is beyond your expectations and in general just a joy to experience. While I will fully admit that a number of the scenes outside of the games can be a bit lacking, the games themselves are some of my favorite experiences in all of anime, and easily makes no game no life one of my favorite anime in the last five years.

god I hope this is remotely coherent lol.

cajunator

Banned
The games are typically well written with a fun game of cat and mouse. They tend to be hard to fully predict how they will go (outside of the end result) and you are often left wondering where the main character is going with things, typically leading to a conclusion that is beyond your expectations and in general just a joy to experience. While I will fully admit that a number of the scenes outside of the games can be a bit lacking, the games themselves are some of my favorite experiences in all of anime, and easily makes no game no life one of my favorite anime in the last five years.

god I hope this is remotely coherent lol.

Soooo basically youre saying its fun.

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 14

If you don't know what would happen if Haruhi found out about everybody, where did you get the bright idea to tell her everything? Then again, I guess I don't blame him. If I had to put up with as much bullshit as he's had to I probably wouldn't give any fucks anymore. Not that it matters, since she didn't buy it.

zulux21

Soooo basically youre saying its fun.

>.>
nope I am saying it's
captivating, charming, compelling, delightful, engaging, engrossing, enjoyable, enticing, exciting, fascinating, interesting, pleasant, stimulating, thrilling, enchanting, clever, rousing... but just because I can I am going to refuse to call it fun to spite you :p

but yeah I suppose you can boil it down to the games are fun as going into details why it's fun beyond what I said would be massive spoilers :p

I guess we're doing lists of Dandy

1. Alright
2. Alright
3. Alright
4. Great
5. Amazing
6. Big meh (would be bad but surfing sequence and music)
7. Great
8. A. Alright, B. Bad (over-all meh)
9. Alright
10. Great
11. Big meh
12. Great
13. Amazing
14. Great
15. Alright
16. Big meh (outside of animation)
17. Amazing
18. Alright
19. Bad
20. Amazing
21. Amazing (specifically my favorite episode.)

Looking at my list I only have 1.5 episodes I consider bad, many ok's and meh's, If the last couple of episodes are great I could easily say that at least half a show of the show is at the very least great.

zulux21

No Game No Life really just made me want more Kaiji.

ah another show I have been meaning to go back and continue watching. (do the anime series fully cover the manga or should I just read the manga?) I could see that though... I ended up reading One Outs shortly after watching no game no life (I had already seen the anime and had been meaning to finish the story anyways)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zac: "Do you thnk the anime industry needs to be saved?"
Yura: "It needs to be saved from the stereotypical moe industry."

Yura: "I am a big fan of Knights of Sydonia and Attack on Titan."

survivor

Banned
ah another show I have been meaning to go back and continue watching. (do the anime series fully cover the manga or should I just read the manga?) I could see that though... I ended up reading One Outs shortly after watching no game no life (I had already seen the anime and had been meaning to finish the story anyways)

First season covers part 1 of the manga. Second season covers part 2. There is no need to read the manga for those parts, the anime does a good job for the most part.

cajunator

Banned
>.>
nope I am saying it's
captivating, charming, compelling, delightful, engaging, engrossing, enjoyable, enticing, exciting, fascinating, interesting, pleasant, stimulating, thrilling, enchanting, clever, rousing... but just because I can I am going to refuse to call it fun to spite you :p

but yeah I suppose you can boil it down to the games are fun as going into details why it's fun beyond what I said would be massive spoilers :p

Sounds like fun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom