• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

First season covers part 1 of the manga. Second season covers part 2. There is no need to read the manga for those parts, the anime does a good job for the most part.

Ah, I take it there is a part 3?
if so then I will likely just read the manga (I have more time to read manga then watch subtitled anime anyways)

anyways...
space dandy 9
I really shouldn't have watched this episode with a half functioning brain... it's so much harder to follow WTF/trippy episodes of shows when your brain isn't working right >.>

even if it was working right I doubt I would be a huge fan though... in general I am not a big fan of artsier stuff.

Yura: "We already had offers for 26 episodes of Under the Dog... We have absolutely no plans to do a TV series".

they should perhaps look for funding for an OVA series then because it doesn't seem that backers are all that excited to pay $20 for a single episode of anime.

Zac: "Do you thnk the anime industry needs to be saved?"
Yura: "It needs to be saved from the stereotypical moe industry."

Yura: "I am a big fan of Knights of Sydonia and Attack on Titan."
He's just saying they need to be more stealthy about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm a little bit worried about the people Ando is grouping up with :(
I think the industry shapes directors to work with who they can get.

survivor

Banned
Zac: "Do you thnk the anime industry needs to be saved?"
Yura: "It needs to be saved from the stereotypical moe industry."

Yura: "I am a big fan of Knights of Sydonia and Attack on Titan."
lol this industry is doomed

Ah, I take it there is a part 3?
if so then I will likely just read the manga (I have more time to read manga then watch subtitled anime anyways)
Part 3 of the manga is fully translated so you can read that. Part 4 is getting close to completion in translation. And Part 5 just started last year.

Reading the manga for part 2 is probably the best option, the second arc for it can be exhausting to watch, but it's an interesting experience of endurance.

reading the kickstarter aren't they saying that they want to make the single episode to maybe one day make a full series? It's not gonna sell enough to make a full series, I mean they aren't even reaching the goal.

zulux21

I want to support Under the Dog, but half a million for that quality animation isn't making me confident.

edit: nvm just saw it's one episode.

yup 580k for one 24 min episode
double that for 2 eps
triple that for 3 eps
(1.8 mil for a pointless california premiere)
5.1 mil for a 90 min movie instead

if it was the movie from the start I'd be more likely to pledge, but I am to cheep to pledge nearly $1 per minute of entertainment I would get back blindly. (If I knew I liked it that would be another story like my $80 time of eve pledge a while back)

reading the kickstarter aren't they saying that they want to make the single episode to maybe one day make a full series? It's not gonna sell enough to make a full series, I mean they aren't even reaching the goal.

I wouldn't be surprised if it reached it's base goal. what will end up being around 300k from fans is likely worth it to the third parties (that they already say they are working with) to give a fee to kickstarter and amazon to get the rest of the pledges >.> (assuming they have plans to make this even if the kickstarter fails... which given the amount of concept stuff they have seems likely)
It wouldn't be the first time on kickstarter and likely wouldn't be the last >.>

yup 580k for one 24 min episode
double that for 2 eps
triple that for 3 eps
(1.8 mil for a pointless california premiere)
5.1 mil for a 90 min movie instead

if it was the movie from the start I'd be more likely to pledge, but I am to cheep to pledge nearly $1 per minute of entertainment I would get back blindly. (If I knew I liked it that would be another story like my $80 time of eve pledge a while back)

I think their hopes on western anime fans were a bit too high. I'd say a grand majority watches anime for free.

I don't even think one of the many video game kickstarters reached 5 mill. I think the closest was Wasteland 2.

TUSR

Banned
Those Under the Dog ambitions were so lofty.

The stretch goals are insanity, as much as I want to see something come from this, nothing will.

After they went off about the 26 episode series offers, they sort of shot themselves in the foot.

zulux21

I think their hopes on western anime fans were a bit too high. I'd say a grand majority watches anime for free.

I don't even think one of the many video game kickstarters reached 5 mill. I think the closest was Wasteland 2.

ouya made over 8.5mil :p
wasteland 2 only made 2.9 mil
video game kickstarters that have made more are
double fine adventure (3.3mil)
mighty number 9 (3.8 mil)
Project Eternity (a little under 4 mil)
Torment: Tides of Numenera (a little under 4.2 mil)

ouya made over 8.5mil :p
wasteland 2 only made 2.9 mil
video game kickstarters that have made more are
double fine adventure (3.3mil)
mighty number 9 (3.8 mil)
Project Eternity (a little under 4 mil)
Torment: Tides of Numenera (a little under 4.2 mil)

Well what do you know, my memory wasn't as good as I thought.

But I feel the need to mention that the bolded is the most hilarious kickstarter I had ever seen. The disappointment post-release was great, youtube videos of unboxings were hilarious as everybody tried to sell it back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He wants to replicate the Ghost in the Shell/Yamato 2199 plan by having several OVAs spread out over a long period followed by a trilogy of films. Yeah...

gotta pander to ann's peabrained audience somehow
More like pander to Zac. Yura brought up the fact that he was raised in Australia like three times. He's the outsider that is living the dream, saving Japan with his Western education. Zac probably fapped when he heard that.

These people need a lesson in PR, I feel.
To be fair, the context is that the Japanese anime industry is doomed. Since that is the case, working with them would also doom their project.

(Please give him money to help save anime from Japan)

zulux21

These people need a lesson in PR, I feel.

indeed, they need to at least explain why they are saying that as a good thing.

"While our characters and universe are easily developed to the point that we could provide a good 26 episode TV series, our goal isn't to be merely good but amazing. Thus our goal is to continually trim any extra stuff to make sure that every moment that you have with under the dog is absolutely amazing. The end result is that longer is not always better, thus we have no plans of stretching out our idea just to have more. It's quality not quantity."

something like that :p (for the record I haven't looked at their stuff in detail so some stuff is likely a bit off :p)

Well what do you know, my memory wasn't as good as I thought.

But I feel the need to mention that the bolded is the most hilarious kickstarter I had ever seen. The disappointment post-release was great, youtube videos of unboxings were hilarious as everybody tried to sell it back.

my memory is nothing, I looked those numbers up on kickstarter :p
amusingly the top funded item of all time...
a cooler lol.

wonzo

Banned
More like pander to Zac. Yura brought up the fact that he was raised in Australia like three times. He's the outsider that is living the dream, saving Japan with his Western education. Zac probably fapped when he heard that.
at this point i just imagine the ann crowd to be a swarm of wannabe zac's spewing endless zacisms in the hope they'll be as "worthy" as the original proto-zac. thats the general gist of what ive seen whenever someone calls out ann for their garbage practices/opinions

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Heartcatch Precure 2

An episode where tsubomi redefines the non-violent 70's "Flower Power" movement by using it for violence.

Also did that fairy just poop out the Heart seed? WTF?

The spots where they're trying to sell you something is super obvious too.

Fun fight though.

cajunator

Banned
Heartcatch Precure 2

An episode where tsubomi redefines the non-violent 70's "Flower Power" movement by using it for violence.

Also did that fairy just poop out the Heart seed? WTF?

The spots where they're trying to sell you something is super obvious too.

Fun fight though.

Yeah they actually crap out heartseeds. Its a bit odd.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
at this point i just imagine the ann crowd to be a swarm of wannabe zac's spewing endless zacisms in the hope they'll be as "worthy" as the original proto-zac. thats the general gist of what ive seen whenever someone calls out ann for their garbage practices/opinions
The only reason why I would doubt that is because Zac has a huge contempt for his audience, to the point where he probably wishes most of them would stop visiting the site. lol

Fate/Illya 2wei! 8
Finally we get back to why I'm watching this show, quality fight scenes like this. Ufotable should show Bazett in their UBW adaptation, it'd actually make sense with that route's focus on Lancer.

I'm not sure how Crunchyroll botched the translation and said Bazett was from the Church when even my non Japanese speaking ears heard the line say Kyōkai (ie mage's assoication).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you want a recent zacism he thinks the first season of Space Dandy was stronger than the second.

wonzo

Banned
The only reason why I would doubt that is because Zac has a huge contempt for his audience, to the point where he probably wishes most of them would stop visiting the site. lol
the beauty of sadomasochistic fan relationships

If you want a recent zacism he thinks the first season of Space Dandy was stronger than the second.
50centlol.gif

OceanBlue

Fate/Illya 2wei! 8
Finally we get back to why I'm watching this show, quality fight scenes like this. Ufotable should show Bazett in their UBW adaptation, it'd actually make sense with that route's focus on Lancer.

I'm not sure how Crunchyroll botched the translation and said Bazett was from the Church when even my non Japanese speaking ears heard the line say Kyōkai (ie mage's assoication).

Kyoukai (教会) means church too. It's a pretty common word too I think. As for Bazett appearing in UBW, it'd be neat, but considering her role it probably won't happen. :(

Edit: Actually, doesn't Crunchyroll get scripts? If so that'd be a pretty surprising mistake. Maybe they didn't know that the other Kyoukai meant the Mage's Association.

Antiwhippy

Also are precure seasons actually connected? In Dokidoki the enemies are called Selfish and in heartcatch they're desert people or whatever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also are precure seasons actually connected? In Dokidoki the enemies are called Selfish and in heartcatch they're desert people or whatever.
Nope. The series are only loosely connected by the massive crossover movies, and even then, there's no continuity whatsoever.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did you listen to that 2 hour monstrosity?

I like Daryl, but I can't take 2 hours of Zac.
Yeah. I don't know how it was two hours because none of them actually watch anime or really want to talk about it. I appreciate some of the stuff Daryl does but ultimately he's a fraud with narrow tastes that almost exclusively targets action or thriller type shows that cater to a male audience. So like...from this season Daryl enjoys Tokyo Ghoul. He also enjoyed pretty much every movie he watched this year, which says a lot about how tight the box he lives inside is, and what low standards he has.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. I don't know how it was two hours because none of them actually watch anime or really want to talk about it. I appreciate some of the stuff Daryl does but ultimately he's a fraud with narrow tastes that almost exclusively targets action or thriller type shows that cater to a male audience. So like...from this season Daryl enjoys Tokyo Ghoul. He also enjoyed pretty much every movie he watched this year, which says a lot about how tight the box he lives inside is, and what low standards he has.
lol, poor Daryl.

Maybe it's how Daryl presents himself, but I'm okay with what he says even if I disagree with him.

Antiwhippy

Nope. The series are only loosely connected by the massive crossover movies, and even then, there's no continuity whatsoever.

Thought so.

Heartcatch 3

God Erika is still super annoying.

Do they keep up with this monster of the week formula or does it change up every now and then?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thought so.

Heartcatch 3

God Erika is still super annoying.

Do they keep up with this monster of the week formula or does it change up every now and then?
If Heartcatch is like other Precures, it's going to be a combination of arc episodes and standalone episodes.

Antiwhippy

I mean, she's better than the first episode where she's just insufferable, but she still needs to learn how to listen to people goddamn. I've dealt with enough people like that to not need to see them in anime form. :p

Caesnd

I really appreciate what is being done with Reconguista in G. First the BD with the screenplay, storyboards and "making" videos and interviews. Now they are going to have a some sort of presentation night with the creators (September 5th, Shinjuku Piccadily). I'm especially excited about Kenichi Yoshida and Akira Yasuda being there. They are also giving away discs with designs for the show made by the two aforementioned. Pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom