• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Sailor Moon 4

Jadeite takes off his glasses and Usagi puts on a tiara and suddenly they both recognize each other.

This whole show runs on Clark Kent logic.

Quasar

It has nothing to do with your opinion on shows, it has to do with bringing in irrelevant non sequitur arguments. Nobody gives a crap what 62k people on MAL think about a show. Saying a bunch of people liked something is not an argument. No one is going to say "oh, well, MAL liked it, I guess I was wrong!"

Well, I'd never say that. But then me not liking something that the majority likes does not mean I'm wrong. That isn't really how reactions to media works.

As for MAL, just like any populous rating site (be it IMDB, Goodreads, Amazon,, etc) I just find it useful for creating short lists of things I might like. Its not really a useful thing in any internet e-peen fight. At best all its says about an individual piece of media is that a majority of people who consume a certain kind of media liked (or disliked) this thing. And that's leaving out any silly attempt to corrupt an overall rating through campaigns of minimum or maximum ratings..

CorvoSol

Gosick isn't even so bad it's good though. It's just a mediocre by-the-numbers BONES LN adaptation.

See, I'm at this point now where I'd say "Mars of Destruction isn't even so bad it's good. It's just a sorta shitty single episode that happens to not make sense." But you never know with people. All it takes is someone saying "I DON'T LIKE THING" and someone else will say "Better check that out, then!"

It's like AnimeGAF's mummy's curse or something. Bad anime is like a tomb we all want to raid in the hopes of finding a Tut's trove of hilarity, regardless of the risk of having our organs snatched or having four sequels nobody wants to see.

Are you telling me it IS that bad and not to watch it? Because if that's the case, I won't. Saves me time!

I haven't seen Gosick beyond the humorous dinosaur inserts. But while I have your attention on bad shows I'd like you to know I mean really are bad and you really are better off not watching:

-Eureka Seven Astral Ocean
-Eureka Seven Pocket Full of Rainbows
-Persona: Trinity Soul
-Clannad and After Story

I haven't seen Gosick beyond the humorous dinosaur inserts. But while I have your attention on bad shows I'd like you to know I mean really are bad and you really are better off not watching:

-Eureka Seven Astral Ocean
-Eureka Seven Pocket Full of Rainbows
-Persona: Trinity Soul

*adds to backlog*

Nah. Just kidding ;p

See, I'm at this point now where I'd say "Mars of Destruction isn't even so bad it's good. It's just a sorta shitty single episode that happens to not make sense." But you never know with people. All it takes is someone saying "I DON'T LIKE THING" and someone else will say "Better check that out, then!"

It's like AnimeGAF's mummy's curse or something. Bad anime is like a tomb we all want to raid in the hopes of finding a Tut's trove of hilarity, regardless of the risk of having our organs snatched or having four sequels nobody wants to see.
People didn't rush to watch Knights of Sidonia even when I said it got comically bad. :(

LN "Overlord" is getting anime,MC is a skeleton

UBjEQa2.jpg

54q8VA9.jpg

I don't agree with you on Mars of Destruction's comedic value, but the fact that it's a short experience is sort of why it's entertaining. If it lasted several hours, it'd just end up as torture.
People didn't rush to watch Knights of Sidonia even when I said it got comically bad. :(
That's because Firehawk's lavish praise turned everyone off.

CorvoSol

I don't agree with you on Mars of Destruction's comedic value, but the fact that it's a short experience is sort of why it's entertaining. If it lasted several hours, it'd just end up as torture.

To be entirely fair to Mars of Destruction, I was mainlining the List at that point and had seen so much like it in so small an amount of time that I couldn't get anything out of it. If I rewatched it now my reaction might be different. At the time though I was just grateful it wasn't going to drag on for episodes the way Melody of Oblivion did.

Which reminds me, Melody of Oblivion is another show I wish upon no one. Whatever insanity happens at the end is not worth slogging through the crap that leads up to it.

I confess that part of it may be in the "anti-sales pitch". People are more likely to want to watch a bad show if you make a bigger stink about it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Zac: "Do you thnk the anime industry needs to be saved?"
Yura: "It needs to be saved from the stereotypical moe industry."

Yura: "I am a big fan of Knights of Sydonia and Attack on Titan."

From an outsiders perspective (read UK) I doubt they even see much of the "moe" stuff (lets just ignore that they use the word incorrectly). One, probably because they see see it as one big collective so they don't realise how much (of what I assume they mean by moe shows) of it exists individually and two, most of the anime I see here is the shounen stuff. Walking through London did I see a contingent of K-On cosplayers, no I did not, did I see a contingent of AoT cosplayers, yes I did.

The moe problem is like the FPS problem in gaming. If you only focus on it it will seem like that's all there is, but if you bother to look around a bit you'll see there's plenty on offer.

#NotAllMoe

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also I have no idea who this Zac chap you refer to is. I assume I'm better off not knowing since not one positive thing has been said about him.

From an outsiders perspective (read UK) I doubt they even see much of the "moe" stuff (lets just ignore that they use the word incorrectly). One, probably because they see see it as one big collective so they don't realise how much (of what I assume they mean by moe shows) of it exists individually and two, most of the anime I see here is the shounen stuff. Walking through London did I see a contingent of K-On cosplayers, no I did not, did I see a contingent of AoT cosplayers, yes I did.

The moe problem is like the FPS problem in gaming. If you only focus on it it will seem like that's all there is, but if you bother to look around a bit you'll see there's plenty on offer.

#NotAllMoe

Live-tweeted when Mamoru Oshii was at TIFF :

Oshii doesn't watch anime any more...too much of just character and story, not enough 'new worlds' being created

'I feel #Japanese #anime recently only has characters + story; don’t have the motivation or passion to come up with a new world”

"You need to have new worlds to create new characters." "You create new worlds in anime."

He is spot-on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I tend to not watch the bad anime unless Toonami is running it I find. So many Bleach episodes, so much wasted time.

fertygo

Free! Eternal Summer - 09

What the hell kyoani

plus this

LMAO

The episode itself rather nice though, unlike the S1 I could take the drama seriously just simply because the subject is interesting. Ping Pong already pull it masterfully tho, this is the teen drama version of it lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

He is spot-on.

Who's he? The Under the Dog guy? Because if I recall that stars a bunch of school kids so one can't criticise someone for not creating new worlds when you use the most overused setting in all of anime.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also kinda bullshit. Probably not the most recent example but soredemo machi is set in your average quaint japanese suburb starring girls in maid uniforms but it's able to create fresh, new and interesting characters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Who's he? The Under the Dog guy? Because if I recall that stars a bunch of school kids so one can't criticise someone for not creating new worlds when you use the most overused setting in all of anime.
No, he's the guy who people think is impenetrable because of The Sky Crawlers and Angel's Egg.
Although he's probably more known as Ghost in the Shell guy.

#NotAllMoe
Yura was saying how as a Japanese person raised in Australia, he's able to see the problems with the Japanese industry from an "objective" point of view. Zac's wet dream.

cajunator

Banned
no one in my group of anime watchers had any issues overlooking it. *shrugs* It's disappointing it was there, but it wasn't a main focus or so bad that it ruined the show for us. I imagine if you were in a thread discussing it and looking at screen shots and having people rant about it, it would be harder to ignore, but heck my wife adored the show and she hates ecchi things more than I do lol.

That's not to say it can't be an issue to some, I can understand how it could be a deal breaker to some, but the show has a ton of good in it and to me the sexualization stuff is very minor and not remotely a focus of the show (the worst part of the show was the
bathing scene with jibril and her tentacle shampoo stuff
and even that was pretty tame and minor in the grand scheme of things and compared to actual ecchi anime)

while I am not recommending .hack/sign (I liked it but it's not for everyone, it's one of the original MMO shows (first one I know of but I wouldn't be surprised if there are others)) I would recommend at least checking out it's OST
it's got a fun opening
a fun ending
and a number of fun insert songs
but alas I might just think that because I like the band See-Saw :p

See Saw is one of many Yuki Kajiura involved bands. She has made so many great soundtracks for anime, and it is actually what I remember the most about many Bee Train shows. Madlax had some really good music too but my favorite is the OST of Noir.

Also are precure seasons actually connected? In Dokidoki the enemies are called Selfish and in heartcatch they're desert people or whatever.

They are named differently in every show and the series are largely unrelated. however a few have had sequels. Futari wa and Max Heart, Yes Precure 5 and Gogo for example.

Thats...not chubby.
wtf Japan. If you think that normal sized girls are chubby...

Sentai definitely had a lot of problems with video quality before. Didn't they release Moretsu Pirates and Penguindrum in 1080i for some reason? Then there's been other QC problems like the mono audio on the Japanese track on that Kids on the Slope episode. Thankfully the titles I've gotten from them lately seem to be fine. It's still pretty clear that everything's being rushed out though (those menus, for instance).

Justin Sevakis is probably the only NA anime BD author/encoder who could release a tolerable 1080i release now (AoA contracts w/JP authoring studios using the same masters as JP BDs, so they don't count here). Sentai's interlacing on those two releases was incredibly bad because they barely altered the masters due to rushing things out ASAP, but Viz's release of Lagrange also had the same problems. 1080i isn't bad when it's properly authored, but seriously do not trust anyone else in NA to author that at this point.

The Kids on the Slope release had that problem, the first batch of Tari Tari DVDs had subtitles off by a line mid-way through an episode (on a sub-only release), the Horizon S1 and Colorful BDs had video quality drop to YouTube 360p quality at points, and let's not forget the translation/subtitle inaccuracies/grammar mistakes.

Sentai has gotten better, but I do know for a fact that they rush releases out crazy fast. This doesn't fix the latter problem though, so I tend to view their TLs cautiously. (See CR's scripts for Kyoukai/Chu2koi Ren/Haikyuu for best examples).

In regards to ANN, I've viewed them as a tabloid site wanting clickbait articles since December 2011 when they took a throwaway line literally at the end of an article in a JP tabloid as an news article about Kadokawa having no plans for Haruhi S3. I'd talk about the editorial side, but some may see me as continually attacking a certain person (not Zac).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't believe what I'm reading.

Well if you just say "he" how am I meant to know who "he" is? The only name I could bring it to was the Under the Dog guy, which is a show I dismissed the moment I saw what the characters are since I find that to be a far bigger problem than "moe".

EDIT: Oh I re-read. Twitter paraphrasing made it sound like they were criticising Oshii rather than quoting him.

phaze

Texhnolyze 14-15

Well the show is certainly going places. The last ten minutes was some tense stuff. My brain fails to comprehend all that Organo infighting. Not quite sure just why Ichise decided to go along with the massacre. It doesn't seem like Onishi was on so his behaviour puzzles me. Kohakura and Toyama are sneaky bastards.

The doc is crazy.

Naruto Shippuden 374

Oro relegated to comic relief. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I like how earlier it took days to traverse the Fire country but now they're going from one end to another in the space of an hour.

Dull episode, thankfully the preview for 375 looks great.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 97

Akari finally got her own song! The melody was good, and the dancing was fun. She's come a long way from being an Ichigo copycat/fangirl. That's how you prepare to switch main characters for a long-running show such as this. Ease the audience into her. Looks like it's back to 2wings next week, but I can't help but feel they're forgetting one of the Constellation dresses.

Also are precure seasons actually connected? In Dokidoki the enemies are called Selfish and in heartcatch they're desert people or whatever.

Two seasons are connected, but then again, those are sequels to a particular season.

I mean, she's better than the first episode where she's just insufferable, but she still needs to learn how to listen to people goddamn. I've dealt with enough people like that to not need to see them in anime form. :p

Erika will never learn about listening to people. That's why Tsubomi is the main Cure and not Erika

Well if you just say "he" how am I meant to know who "he" is? The only name I could bring it to was the Under the Dog guy, which is a show I dismissed the moment I saw what the characters are since I find that to be a far bigger problem than "moe".

EDIT: Oh I re-read. Twitter paraphrasing made it sound like they were criticising Oshii rather than quoting him.

You nearly gave me an heart attack, ah ah ! Sorry for the formatting, beside dropping some superfluous hashtags I wanted to keep the edits to some minimal level.

Well we just rushed to the version that wasn't comically bad.
That's unfortunate.

He is spot-on.
Eh, real world settings aren't inherently bad. I see where he is coming from.

#NotAllMoe
Unless you like josei works.

Gosick 10

Uh... That's a strange combination...

Anyway... Victorique solves another case by reading the paper while sick, there's Anastasia and Romanov stuff and there's pieces of a bigger story here and there.

duckroll

Pupipo!

This is one really weird series. I'm not even sure where to begin. I liked a lot of what it did, and it's really not what I expected from a series with short 4min episodes, but goddamn, it was weird. It's the great kind of weird though. A coming of age story, with elements of yokai horror, mixed with a tale of friendship and love, ending in a big fantasy climax, and then... the story ties in a way which is unusually dark but yet childishly optimistic...? I can't say I've seen anything like this before, but it sure was enjoyable!

It's also really interesting to see how the show used the short-anime format to it's advantage. Instead of an episodic story, it's a linear narrative paced around core plot points in each episode, so everything moves very quickly without any filler. It's also clearly a fairly low budget series, but there's some pretty nice animation in the spots where it counts most, and the layout and direction makes the visuals more attractive than the norm even when there isn't a lot of animation. Pretty distinctive and memorable.

I definitely wouldn't have watched this without the recommendations of wonzo and hosanna, so thanks! Even after all the recommendations, I really didn't know quite what to expect from the show, and after watching it... I guess that reaction is normal. It's not really something that can be explained easily, but considering the fast pace and the short length, it's much easier for people to just watch it for themselves knowing that it's worthwhile. :)

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and
ANN Under the Dog interview said:
Then we started looking for a studio. We had two options, the other option I don’t want to name but they were very prestigious.

Since they were talking to Kinema then the other studio they were probably talking to was BONES. :(

Mononoke

Banned
Glasslip - 09

Thought Sacchan
being in love with Touko
was predictable. But holy god, is this anime pissing me off. Sacchan used Hiro, betrayed his trust, made him complicit in betraying Touko. Not only was she stringing him a long (hell s he even called him her boyfriend)...and then she turns around and USES him again, to basically
tell Touko she's in love with her
. Seriously?

Meh god. I mean, why even invite Hiro out there in the first place. She's a terribly cruel person IMO. Hiro basically got used a second time, this time to
relay her message to Touko
. I know on some level she just wanted him to understand how she felt (and why they can't go out). But she could have done it on the side, rather then bring him out there. Seriously.

Anyways, I'm only complaining just because I'm finding all the characters more and more irritating as the show goes on. This is such a weird show for me, because I actually liked how slow/laid back the pacing was (at first). But as I started to hate the characters (their emotionless personalities), and I started to hate them for their actions, it's all making this anime painful to keep watching.

It's sad that I'm almost praying for a School Days like ending.

Taruranto

Gosick 10

Uh... That's a strange combination...

Anyway... Victorique solves another case by reading the paper while sick, there's Anastasia and Romanov stuff and there's pieces of a bigger story here and there.

Thought it was a Baccano! screenshot.
You should probably watch Baccano instead.

Spac dandy impressions list :

1. GREAT
  2. OK
  3. Alright
  4. Great
  5. EXCELLENT
  6. Meh ( good animation i must admit)
  7. Good
  8. GREAT
  9. Meh
  10. GREAT
  11. OK
  12. OK
  13. EXCELLENT
  14. EXCELLENT
  15. OK
  16. Alright
  17. EXCELLENT
  18. Meh
  19. GOOD
  20. EXCELLENT
  21. GOOD

For Reference :
EXCELLENT > GREAT > GOOD > OK > ALRIGHT > MEH

phaze

Texhnolyze 16-17

O_x

Friendzoned ? Just cut off your head, stick it atop of an ugly ass robot and get your revenge.

The class are some seriously deranged people. I hope they all get what they deserve by the end of the show.

Jex

That's unfortunate.

Eh, real world settings aren't inherently bad. I see where he is coming from.
One of the big advantages anime has over other mediums is that you can set it anywhere for the same 'price' as setting it in the real world, something you can't do in live action. I can see why Oshii would have a problem with how conservative the industry is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom