• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Marimite S3 04

Lots of things going on in this episode. Victory through defeat. Yumi and Sachiko meeting each others' parents. And the conclusion of the Kanako subplot, which wrapped up pretty nicely for all involved. She's definitely not going to be Yumi's little sister, but she can be a friend, and that's just as important. My favorite part of the episode was the cheering competition. Seeing the styles that each of the groups put on was a lot of fun. Shimako didn't have a huge role, though I still enjoyed the way the Purple Team used her as a barrier in the competitions. It's that White Rose power, I tell ya. Yoshino remains my favorite. Even if she can't be as athletic as Rei, she has the spirit of sportsmanship.

Gosick 12

YnlV60o.jpg

So tsundere.

It's the summer and there's no mysteries to be solved. Victorique gets stuck in a tree and we get to know some of Kujo's backstory instead.

I learnt that with
Danganronpa. But in that case it was upside-down

That makes more sense than backwards though!

Jex

Space Dandy Rankings - I'm going to use a 1 to 5 ranking system.

1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 2
4 - 3
5 - 3
6 - 1
7 - 3
8 - 3
9 - 4
10 - 2
11 - 3
12 - 2
13 - 4
14 - 2
15 - 3
16 - 5
17 - 3
18 - 3
19 - 2
20 - 3
21 - 5

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am too lazy to do individual rankings, but I do think this season has been filled with mostly hits while season 1 was far more mixed.

I hope by 'friends' you also mean your trustworthy contacts in AnimeGAF!

Haha, yeah. I heard a bit about it here too, so I guess that if two sources were claiming that, I should give it a try.

Off topic, but the amount of glass pushing in the first episode of LH is already huge.

zulux21

Are people going to start watching Un-Go next? =/

no need to watch un-go for me... I already watched it and for the most part enjoyed it :p (not a great show but I enjoyed it well enough that it's on my list to buy someday.... or... I might already own it because I found it for decently cheap..... I really need to make a list of what I own ><)

Jex

So, I was thinking yesterday that these threads could really do with putting some useful content into the OP's besides content that solely relates to this seasons shows. What I mean is, links to other useful resources. It could appear in a separate post below the OT. It would save a lot of time for people with generic questions e.g. what anime should I check out.

For example, a section on Sakuga that links to that youtube panel, posts about how much an anime costs to make, links to stories about how anime are made, useful blogs, books to check out, podcasts, academic material, reviews (from gaffers) to read, previous Anime of the Year threads, Gaffers recommended titles, etc etc.

I'll start putting together a list of such material but if you have any specific material to include just shoot me a PM. I'm aiming for something fairly comprehensive.

One of the big advantages anime has over other mediums is that you can set it anywhere for the same 'price' as setting it in the real world, something you can't do in live action. I can see why Oshii would have a problem with how conservative the industry is.
That's not completely true though. Especially with television budgets there are limitations.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It takes more time to create a "setting" from scratch than it does to reference photography. I get your general point but there is definitely a difference in mental/creative power expended.

Jex

It takes more time to create a "setting" from scratch than it does to reference photography. I get your general point but there is definitely a difference in mental/creative power expended.

I'll certainly buy that argument. It's probably a great deal more work, just on a different order of magnitude to live action. I didn't mean to imply that it was a piece of cake.

zulux21

All these MMO animes are making me itch to play a MMO, but then I remember that almost everything is F2P these days and just give up.

F2P is the only type of MMO I will do (though I plan to get guild wars 2 at some point) I lack enough focus to play games with monthly fees, and I would rather play games that emulate MMOs where they simulate that I loose a player due to pregnancy (+1 ecreed to anyone that can actually tell me what video game I am referrencing lol) with better level curves then play actual MMOs

Jex

I've just realised that pulling this list of resources together is going to take far longer than I had envisioned. In other words

> I immediately regret my decision

TUSR

Banned
I've just realised that pulling this list of resources together is going to take far longer than I had envisioned. In other words

> Well Played!
> Well Played!
> Well Played!
> Game is Hard
> Well Played!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

> Game is hard

The Congress.

Thanks for the recommendation from the other day, unknown GAF-user. I liked the film, pretty good. Though my favorite parts where the live-action ones :p.

Somehow it all makes a bit more sense at the end in the credits. I just said "ahh! that explains it" when I read it was based on a Stanis&#322;aw Lem story.
Yep, it's that type of story, that seems to have been written in the age of LSD-fueled scifi writers, and that in fact because mind-altering drugs were a new technology when it was written, sometimes the drugs themselves appeared as an important part in the plot, or the idea that future society would be regulated or controlled with hallucinogens, allowing the typical from utopia to dystopia.

The end also lets you with the typical question of.. was that real or a dream? I'm talking of the real life part at the end. It's very coincidental that in the future they use a frigging giant red comet to lift up to the zeppelins, just like the red comet of the son that appears lots of times in all the movie.

Overall it has very strong scenes, in both live action and animation (mainly near the final part) as the movie develops properly and emotionally speaking it reaches a good crescendo.

Branduil

Fantasy or sci-fi anime can take more work, but mainly in the pre-production department; once you get to actual production, it's not really any harder than a "realistic" anime, which is the big difference from live-action.

F2P is the only type of MMO I will do (though I plan to get guild wars 2 at some point) I lack enough focus to play games with monthly fees, and I would rather play games that emulate MMOs where they simulate that I loose a player due to pregnancy (+1 ecreed to anyone that can actually tell me what video game I am referrencing lol) with better level curves then play actual MMOs

I thought about getting GW2, but I know almost nobody that plays it anymore and two things that I heard (a long, long time ago, so I will probably be wrong) about it made me think twice. Those things were that the PVE endgame is not that great and the economy is not very good (I like to "play" the Auction House).

zulux21

I thought about getting GW2, but I know almost nobody that plays it anymore and two things that I heard (a long, long time ago, so I will probably be wrong) about it made me think twice. Those things were that the PVE endgame is not that great and the economy is not very good (I like to "play" the Auction House).

it makes sense that the PVE end game wasn't well regarded a while back... as they constantly are adding more and more content to it :p
as for the economy I don't know about that (I just have a friend who plays I haven't played myself as I need it to drop low enough that I won't feel forced to play when I buy two copies ><)

If I didn't have to go to work in 10 minutes I would help you out. Best I can do quickly is link you this image someone in this thread (perhaps even you) linked previously lol and this article from animenewsnetwork about adv licenses as those are the only things I have quick access to right now.

Narag

So, I was thinking yesterday that these threads could really do with putting some useful content into the OP's besides content that solely relates to this seasons shows. What I mean is, links to other useful resources. It could appear in a separate post below the OT. It would save a lot of time for people with generic questions e.g. what anime should I check out.

For example, a section on Sakuga that links to that youtube panel, posts about how much an anime costs to make, links to stories about how anime are made, useful blogs, books to check out, podcasts, academic material, reviews (from gaffers) to read, previous Anime of the Year threads, Gaffers recommended titles, etc etc.

I'll start putting together a list of such material but if you have any specific material to include just shoot me a PM. I'm aiming for something fairly comprehensive.

A link to ben's post about the anime production line would be great but I assume that's probably foremost in your mind

I'll certainly buy that argument. It's probably a great deal more work, just on a different order of magnitude to live action. I didn't mean to imply that it was a piece of cake.

Yeah, it's still a lot easier to pull off in animation, and that makes it one of the strengths of the medium. There are certainly ways in which real world settings are still a lot easier (reference material, ease of work, the fact that pretty much everyone working on the show will be familiar with the setting and constraints already), but it's a lot less so than in live action.

Anime should definitely try to push out strange settings more frequently than they do. Particularly the really, really far out there stuff. There are some settings that could never be done convincingly in live action (which isn't necessarily a problem unless you're one of those weirdos who thinks that something ceases to be good the moment the special effects are unconvincing), but anime can do those settings with around the same budget as having two characters sit in a cafe.

Andrew J.

Argevollen 09

An episode almost entirely from the antagonists' perspective, interesting. I like how down-to-earth and reasonable they seem, especially compared to the monologuing blowhards we get in Aldnoah.

Jex

So, remember that Zac said that season 2 of Space Dandy wasn't as good as the first? Well, it gets better when he specifically complains about how cheap the animation was in the musical episode of Space Dandy and how obviously hampered they were by having no budget.

This raises an interesting question: is Zac blind? We're talking about an episode that featured the talents of animators Gosei Oda, Yutaka Nakamura, Ayako Hata, Kenji Hachizaki, Takashi Mukoda, Hironori Tanaka, Chikashi Kubota, Hiroshi Shimizu, Takaaki Wada and Hiroyuki Aoyama.

Kyuur

Since all the cool kids are doing it, Space Dandy ratings from what I've seen so far, on a 1-5 scale (5 being high):

1: 3
2: 3
3: 3
4: 5
5: 5
6: 2
7: 1
8: 2
9: 4
10: 5
11: 1
12: 2
13: 5
14: 1

I contest these results vehemently.

Well.
You shouldn't.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I will also throw my hat into this Dandy ring.

1. Meh
2. Meh
3. Meh
4. Good
5. Good
6. Below Average
7. Good
8. Meh
9. Good
10. Good
11. Meh
12. Great