• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, first time posting in AnimeGAF, hey dudes. I'm currently watching through Future Diary, it's pretty alright so far. Not a huge fan of the protagonist, in fact, I can't really say I like any of the characters thus far, but at least they keep it somewhat interesting with the suspense.
(Although the cliffhangers at the end of almost EVERY episode is getting kind of annoying)

Oh, hi.

Which episode are you on then? And how can you not like Yuno? ;)

MetalDeer

Oh, hi.

Which episode are you on then? And how can you not like Yuno? ;)

Hey, there.

I'm on episode 13, at the moment. Eh, I'm not sure how I feel about Yuno, yet. Lots of mysteries behind her, which is good for keeping things interesting, I suppose. Basically, I have no idea what anyone's true intentions are yet, so I'm holding my judgement.
I don't know about his methods, but that detective dude (Kurusu, I believe?) seemed to redeem himself in the end,
so if I had to pick one character I like so far, it would be him. Anyways, in general, I'm enjoying it so far. Lots of different conflicts here and there, really interested in how it all ends.

cajunator

Banned
Keep it to "Zac" so I'm not wondering why everyone's angry at me!

Zachy we love you man. Nobody better talk like this about you!

Oddly enough I was wondering about something similar the other day. That and wondering if another kind of "best of" list/vote type thing would be appropriate or whether the older ones would suffice.

I'll admit the one aspect I always feel completely lost on is staff titles and what they actually mean they get involved with in the production of a title.
Whenever someone posts a staff list of a new series, beyond director and studio, I'm never entirely sure whether the others names are causes for joy or not.

Even there though there's still an element of stagnation.

Fantasy worlds remain gripped in either medieval or feudal japan era with various preset ideas that persist in a similar way to their gaming counterparts like elves being lithe and beautiful and generally either master swordsmen or archers.

Sci-fi is even more limited at times. Dystopian futuristic worlds a plenty.

Then there's the merging of the fantasy and sci-fi worlds into a everyday situations such as suddenly having modern style idols appearing for reasons or main characters being described as NEETs despite the term being a modern turn of phrase.

Maybe there could be an anime FYI thread with just info about writers/ directors/producers, types of anime, a sort of clarification and informational thread to discuss not shows but anime tropes and ideas and introduce new people to the glossary AND fight the prevalent Gaf ignorance about the medium at the same time.

I don't think Oshii was necessarily just talking about fantasy or sci-fi settings.

It is more than just coming up with exotic scenery. The people populating and interacting with their environment and each other, as well as the way the mood and themes of a work being interwoven into its fabric are equally vital elements of world creation.

I think that when Oshii talks about world creation, what he implies is actually universe creation. Examples of this being Gundam or, regarding Oshii himself, Patlabor.

One show I reallyl iked the world building in was Shangri La, regardless of what people think of the actual show. The post apocalyptic world with a strict class division and environmental regulation made for an interesting platform.

To illustrate what I was talking about earlier, here's a draft of the kind of post I'm putting together. What I'd really like is links to any great reviews or comments about shows from Gaffers, or any threads of resources that I've missed. Call out great reviews and comments written by Gaffers that I've forgotten about, lets try and showcase some of the best from the thread (e.g. someone get me the history of AnimeGAF posts please!)

Online Resources

GAF's very own anime recommendation threads!

So you're probably wondering: what anime should I watch? We aim to point you in the right direction with these general threads but if you ever want specific recommendations tailored to your personal prefereneces just ask away in the thread.

NeoGAF Top Anime List --RESULTS--
- While this poll is from 2007 this is still a damn fine list, especially the top 20.

The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime list thread - A great resource for those looking for classic anime. Titles covered here range from the 60's to the early 90's.

Lesser known Anime from the 2000's: Because they still make great anime
- For those who haven't watched that much anime you may wish to start you journey elsewhere as this thread largely covers titles non-mainstream titles that haven't received enough attention.

The Metalist - A giant and unwieldy list of lists. I can't vouch that all, or any, of the threads listed here contain any useful information whatsoever!

NeoGAF Anime of the Year Lists - Because popularity matters

While popularity isn't a guarantor of quality, it's certainly a useful indicator. These threads aren't worth reading simply to see what anime ranked where, but to read the thoughtful reviews written by Gaffers.

Sakuga - Resources that focus on the art of animation (sakuga)

List of Sakuga Anime - Self explanatory. Remember, the focus here is on the quality of the animation, not necessarily the story.

Sakuga: The Animation of Anime Panel - A 16 part series of videos that serves as an introduction to the concept of Sakuga. This involves a general overview of the subject, an overview of different styles a detailed look at specific animators. A must watch for anyone interested in animation.

Reviews of anime from Gaffers

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

Anime Blogs

There's a million and one anime blogs on the internet, but most of them aren't worth your time. Here's a snapshot of blogs that you should check out.

Anipages - Easily the best blog for those looking for discussion about the actual art of animation. The author of this blog, Ben Ettinger, has a such a comprehensive knowledge of the field that can generally recognise who animated a scene simply by watching it.

anime year by year - A rather ambition project by ex-gaffer Tamerlane. To use his own words: "This blog is a history of anime, year by year, combining historical background and aesthetic interpretation. There will be a post for each year discussing the merits of specific anime as well as general trends of the industry in depth. This is a constant work in progress, meaning old posts will still be updated as I watch new shows, learn new pieces of contextual info, and change my mind on shows I’ve already seen."

Golden Ani-Versary 1963-2012 - Another year by year history of anime, except that in this case each year is written up by a different writer. As you'd imagine, this means that the quality of the content here is fairly uneven. It's still useful in so much as it gives a general introduction to what came out in a given year and why it mattered.

The Business of Making Anime

Posts and features which focus on how anime is made.

The anime production line
- A really great post by Ben Ettinger which gives an overview of how an anime is actually produced.

The Anime Economy
- A series of ANN features about the business reality of producing and distributing an anime.

Anime Sales - What sales numbers for DVD/BD's actually mean in terms of whether a show has succeeded or failed.

Generic Anime Resources

Anichart - See when the next episode of a show will air in Japan.

Catsuka - A French language animation resource.

ANN - The most well known English language anime resource. While their coverage is truly extensive the quality of their reviews is questionable and their encyclopaedia is not always accurate.

Anime List/User Review Sites

MyAnimeList

Hummingbird

Podcasts

Bravo Whiskey Cast - Featuring AnimeGAF's own firehawk12!

Anime World Order - While this isn't updated particularly regular it has a great back catalogue of shows, especially for older anime.

Aya Suzuki Interview - The Pegbar and Grill podcast (a podcast that focuses on interviewing people who work in animation) where they talk to Aya Suzuki, a English/Japanese animator who worked on The Illusionist, Wolf's Children, The Dream Machine and The Wind Rises, among other things. This is probably one of the more informative interviews I've had on what it's like to work in the anime industry as it covers stuff like working hours, pay, working conditions, work flow, staffing, skill expectations etc etc.

Books

General anime textbooks

The Anime Encyclopaedia (2001) by Helen McCarthy and Jonathan Clements.

One of the most comprehensive and well researched English language sources for the medium of anime. As the title suggests, this isn't a specific resources for any one but it's great in terms of the sheer depth of content present within.

Anime A History (2013) by Jonathan Clements

Easily the most impressive English language book on anime that I have ever read. This is an extremely well researched treatise on the history of the medium not just in terms of what shows came out but what went on in terms of the business of making anime. It's certainly academic in nature and therefore probably not interest to the casual fan but for those who really want to learn more how anime came to be this is the book too read.

Schoolgirl Milky Crisis (2009) by Jonathan Clements

This is essentially of collection of writings by Jonathan Clements. If you like Clements' writing this is probably for you.

Anime from Akira to Howl's Moving Castle: Experiencing Contemporary Japanese Animation (2005) by Susan J. Napier

A slightly controversial book that attempts to subject various titles to the same kind of theoretical dissection that you can see in literary and film criticism. How successful the text is an open question but it's an interesting endeavour nevertheless.

Director Specific Texts

Starting Point 1979-1996 (1996) by Hayo Miyazaki

A series of essays written by the greatest anime director of all time. For those looking to understand this legendary figure where better to turn than his own words?

Hayo Miyazaki Master of Japanese Animation (2002) by Helen McCarthy

Still, if you actually want to read a book about Miyazaki's films this is the one to get. Unfortunately it only goes up too Princess Mononoke but it's still a good read.

Stray Dog of Anime The Films of Mamoru Oshii (2004) by Brian Ruh

An in-depth study of one of amine's most famous directors. It does what it says on the tin and so I recommend that only Oshii fan give this book a whirl.

I like these ideas. Lets roll with this.

10 posts in two hours? Is everyone asleep?

I just woke up at 4:30 PM.

Hey, there.

I'm on episode 13, at the moment. Eh, I'm not sure how I feel about Yuno, yet. Lots of mysteries behind her, which is good for keeping things interesting, I suppose. Basically, I have no idea what anyone's true intentions are yet, so I'm holding my judgement.
I don't know about his methods, but that detective dude (Kurusu, I believe?) seemed to redeem himself in the end,
so if I had to pick one character I like so far, it would be him. Anyways, in general, I'm enjoying it so far. Lots of different conflicts here and there, really interested in how it all ends.

Well, feel free to post some episode or final impressions here!

Jex

So it turns out that pulling together online resources covering anime isn't that hard. What is proving difficult is digging up old, good reviews of anime that aren't my own (I tend to save links to my larger posts).

I know that plenty of people have written great stuff but I just can't find it all (mainly because I've forgotten who wrote what when). So, don't be shy, just send me links to your own stuff and I'll look to include it! The same is true if you happen to remember anyone else's posts.

I suppose the fact that this is such hard work just illustrates the need to collate and save these kinds of posts because otherwise they just go missing. So far I have:

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

The Big O: Thoughts and analysis by CorvoSol

Pupipo! by hosannainexcelsis

Gundam Build Fighters: Episode 21: Amid the Glittering Particles by CorvoSol

Log Horizon by Jexhius

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade by Typographenia

Ninja Scroll by Typographenia

The History of AnimeGAF
by Nafe

Angel's Egg by icarus-deadelus

MetalDeer

Well, feel free to post some episode or final impressions here!

Thanks. I usually watch a few episodes at a time, so I'll probably just wait until I'm finished before posting my thoughts.

Edit: That Big O analysis by CorvoSol was a really good read, I'm going to have to watch The Big O again one of these days and see if I can't sort it all out. It might just be a little too abstract for my brain to handle.

Mature

To illustrate what I was talking about earlier, here's a draft of the kind of post I'm putting together. What I'd really like is links to any great reviews or comments about shows from Gaffers, or any threads of resources that I've missed. Call out great reviews and comments written by Gaffers that I've forgotten about, lets try and showcase some of the best from the thread (e.g. someone get me the history of AnimeGAF posts please!)
Do you need someone actually crawling through old threads to find said posts? Would like to help if it's needed.

Firemind

Haruhi Episode 11:

Alright finally an episode that isn't as crazy as everything that just happened in the previous episode, but I feel like we shot forward in time again by how Kyon is narrating everything. Was fun to see them play some computer game against the computer club in what seemed like a Battleship RTS game, and of course Yugi just decimates anyone in her path in the game <3. I don't know how much ahead this takes place from the previous episode, but it was interesting to see that Yugi really kept to Kyon's comment about looking better without the glasses since she didn't have them at all this episode. Maybe she didn't in a few previous episodes either now that I think about it, I may just have never noticed. Also Kyon is actually been a very good lead character so far, usually his role is filled by characters I never like, but he has always had his funny, sarcastic and smart moments. Plus I like how he always narrates everything, and sometimes I get confused as to what he tells himself and what he's actually saying outloud to others.
I don't know why it bothers me, but it's Yuki, as in snow in Japanese; not Yugi, as in the main character of Yugioh.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 18

The staple of a large number of anime, the festival episode. Glow's a pretty chill card, even moreso than Flower. In a lot of ways, this episode reminded me of the 16th, in how it focused largely on the interpersonal relationships first. Touya was distracted by something, and my friend tells me that'll be followed up on later. It was worth it to see everyone do what they do. Yamazaki and his tall tales, Syaoran and Toya trying to impress Sakura/Yukito, and Sakura putting off her summer homework until next episode. Looks like I'm approaching the end of the summertime episodes.

cajunator

Banned
So it turns out that pulling together online resources covering anime isn't that hard. What is proving difficult is digging up old, good reviews of anime that aren't my own (I tend to save links to my larger posts).

I know that plenty of people have written great stuff but I just can't find it all (mainly because I've forgotten who wrote what when). So, don't be shy, just send me links to your own stuff and I'll look to include it! The same is true if you happen to remember anyone else's posts.

I suppose the fact that this is such hard work just illustrates the need to collate and save these kinds of posts because otherwise they just go missing. So far I have:

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

Log Horizon by Jexhius

The History of AnimeGAF
by Nafe

Just keep doing this. A solution could be found but it will take cooperation frkm the collective community.

Shergal

I remember reading duckroll's piece on Gits vs Innocence shortly after registering here and liking it.

If I remember anything else I'll chip in

Naruto Shippuden 374

That filler flashback was unnecessary.

Someone said the budget was being saved for the next episode?

I'm starting to see why with that preview for the Kakashi vs Obito fight.

zulux21

I can eventually get you stuff I wrote I just need to go back and remove the amazon stuff from the pages and fix a couple of now dead links.

10 posts in two hours? Is everyone asleep?

I was at work :p

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 18

The staple of a large number of anime, the festival episode. Glow's a pretty chill card, even moreso than Flower. In a lot of ways, this episode reminded me of the 16th, in how it focused largely on the interpersonal relationships first. Touya was distracted by something, and my friend tells me that'll be followed up on later. It was worth it to see everyone do what they do. Yamazaki and his tall tales, Syaoran and Toya trying to impress Sakura/Yukito, and Sakura putting off her summer homework until next episode. Looks like I'm approaching the end of the summertime episodes.

Toya has a connection to the shrine. It'll be clear later.

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

Log Horizon by Jexhius

The History of AnimeGAF
by Nafe

A few weeks back I proposed a Tumblr blog to collect such posts. I actually made one but haven't done much with it since. I think an external resource like that would be much better.

CorvoSol

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

Log Horizon by Jexhius

The History of AnimeGAF
by Nafe

*furious blushing at seeing some of my posts up there.*

Gonna have to step up my game, I guess. Finish working out that post on why I think Imagawa is God.

Necrovex

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

Log Horizon by Jexhius

The History of AnimeGAF
by Nafe

We really need Wanzo's review of Kingdom. His weekly episode GIF sessions were god-tier.

Argevollen 9

That was honestly a pretty great battle scene in the second half ruined by the desire to not show killing/death. Seriously this a WAR/MECH series show some people freaking dying. Stop covering things with big explosions and smoke. I don't think we saw a single bloodied soldier or even ones blown away by an explosion it's like the explosion happens in front of them then we cut to another part of the battle.

Despite that it was fairly enjoyable, our MC may be a terrible pilot saved only by his god tier mech, but at least he has a bloody character and has some kind of arc. It's part of why I'm enjoying this series despite it's problems more then Aldnoah Zero, I can connect with the characters and the conflict as it's far more believable and less cookie cutter black and white. This isn't a war between a hilariously evil, corrupt, and over powered nation and a hilariously underpowered and clearly good nation only saved by one brilliant pilot, this is a war between two different but equal ideologies that (at least of 9 episodes) it's never really clearly who if either side is justified in this conflict.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

Log Horizon by Jexhius

The History of AnimeGAF
by Nafe

I have often wondered what drives people to create such elaborate works in such a free flowing space.

CorvoSol

So while everybody is seeing the link to my review of the end of Big O, I'd like to repost the way I reacted to it initially, so we can all see what two years of difference does to a man:

Episode 25 Episode 26

Please ignore that I had a HORRIBLE opinion of Libera Me From Hell. That song is awesome and I was absolutely wrong back then.

Also I'd like to recommend BGBW's review of The Mystical Laws:

Because it is as funny as it is accurate.

Hugstable

Banned
So while everybody is seeing the link to my review of the end of Big O, I'd like to repost the way I reacted to it initially, so we can all see what two years of difference does to a man:

Episode 25 Episode 26

Please ignore that I had a HORRIBLE opinion of Libera Me From Hell. That song is awesome and I was absolutely wrong back then.

Also I'd like to recommend BGBW's review of The Mystical Laws:

Because it is as funny as it is accurate.

Haha I always loved the soundtrack from TTGL! I really need to check out Big O sometime, always heard of it but never really checked it out. Didn't know it tried to go for EVA mindfuck stuff also. I think I'm gonna need a good mecha show coming up since I haven't really watched any in quite awhile. Also your reviews and impressions are both awesome and hilarious. Thanks for taking the time to write out so much so some of these shows.

Anyone know/watched this movie?

18rokf.jpg

Gaf keeps giving me this ad (Better than Onigiri at least) and after reading the summary, I'm left pretty skeptical that its actually good.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 23
Orihime was goat character, too bad the dude seemed like a doormat. Also interesting discovery:
ibaeu6tDWzgJDc.jpg

Lala can't handle her booze it seems.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 24
Holy Fuck. This episode was glorious ;__; based Nagamine.

Were the Ganguro gals at the beginning voiced by Mota and Motamota? The show has recycled VAs for extras before so I gotta ask.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 24

Holy Fuck. This episode was glorious ;__; based Nagamine.

Were the Ganguro gals at the beginning voiced by Mota and Motamota? The show has recycled VAs for extras before so I gotta ask.

One of the funniest episodes of anime I've seen.

survivor

Banned
Anyone know/watched this movie?

Gaf keeps giving me this ad (Better than Onigiri at least) and after reading the summary, I'm left pretty skeptical that its actually good.
Watched it, not a good movie. All the sci-fi elements are mediocre which doesn't leave you with much left to enjoy.

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2wei - 08
Going by this episode they are going to blow all their remaining budget for that final encounter

AND That's exactly what they should do.

I loved the dialog in that last part.. She really gave that last boss vibe.
Episode 9 , where are you ?

wonzo

Banned
Pupipo!

This is one really weird series. I'm not even sure where to begin. I liked a lot of what it did, and it's really not what I expected from a series with short 4min episodes, but goddamn, it was weird. It's the great kind of weird though. A coming of age story, with elements of yokai horror, mixed with a tale of friendship and love, ending in a big fantasy climax, and then... the story ties in a way which is unusually dark but yet childishly optimistic...? I can't say I've seen anything like this before, but it sure was enjoyable!

It's also really interesting to see how the show used the short-anime format to it's advantage. Instead of an episodic story, it's a linear narrative paced around core plot points in each episode, so everything moves very quickly without any filler. It's also clearly a fairly low budget series, but there's some pretty nice animation in the spots where it counts most, and the layout and direction makes the visuals more attractive than the norm even when there isn't a lot of animation. Pretty distinctive and memorable.

I definitely wouldn't have watched this without the recommendations of wonzo and hosanna, so thanks! Even after all the recommendations, I really didn't know quite what to expect from the show, and after watching it... I guess that reaction is normal. It's not really something that can be explained easily, but considering the fast pace and the short length, it's much easier for people to just watch it for themselves knowing that it's worthwhile. :)
If only y'all listened when the OT was somewhat alive ( ´ 3 `,)

Please, let's not bring that here too.
#reclaimanimeavatars

Persona 4 - The golden Animation - 08

If there is one thing this episode made clear is that the opening for persona 4 the animation was MUCH BETTER than the one in golden.

Just like teh girl hunting episode , i enjoyed Golden anime view on the christmas events ...it was a nice remix and i thought that it fitted mostly, naoto really was great trying to figure things out ..It's with those episodes that golden IMO shines i hope they do the ski episode justice !

Secret Anime - 2

This sure took an ominous turn. Usually the second episode of these kinds of shows explain how this kind of thing works to some degree. But more questions were raised than answers here. I wonder just what exactly went on back then...

But anyway, here's your first hint!

That you must decode. Get to work. :p

Remember, the hints get less and less subtle as I go on, and you get one guess per impression!

Code:
63 116 105 32 116 39 110 115 97 119 32 101 109 97 103 32 116 97 101 114 103 32 97 32 115 97 119 32 110 117 83 32 110 101 100 108 111 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom