• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of mecha, I want to check out something from the last few years but nothing seems all that appealing. :\ (I'm still going to check out Gundam Build Fighters but that is more of a proxy battle tournament show.)

Quasar

guys is firehawk trolling me

I just finished Hyouka 11.5

It shows Oreki's character off more and has bathing suits.

No. He's not trolling, even if I don't agree (for me I think the final episode is my favourite in terms of individual episodes).

firehawk12

Subete no aware

You're watching it wrong. lol

No. He's not trolling, even if I don't agree (for me I think the final episode is my favourite in terms of individual episodes).
I know haly doesn't like the final episode because they
don't bang at the end
. lol

Narag

It's something of an epilogue to the film arc that lets Oreki's character gravitate back to normalcy rather than snapping back for whatever unexplained reason. I liked it a lot myself.

TUSR

Banned
It's something of an epilogue to the film arc that lets Oreki's character gravitate back to normalcy rather than snapping back for whatever unexplained reason. I liked it a lot myself.

that makes sense to me, he seemed pretty rattled by Irisu.

im assuming we get to know more about oreki's sister in later episodes? because that was clearly her in the chat room in episode 11 right?

Jarmel

Banned
Macross Frontier is clearly the last best mecha show of the last 5 years!

I just looked at the actual mecha released in the past five years and I don't think I want to play this game any more.

Good god, there has only been two decent mecha anime in four years. It's Star Driver then 4 years later GBF.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just looked at the actual mecha released in the past five years and I don't think I want to play this game any more.

Good god, there has only been two decent mecha anime in four years. It's Star Driver then 4 years later GBF.
The only thing I know about Star Driver is that it's apparently really, really hard for a girl to choose between two boys.

Jex

So actually only one show.

Jex

SD gets a pass on the strength of the animation level. Has some of the best mecha animation of all time.

I'm not willing to lower my standards to that level. I'd rather just watch the MAD's, and the final episode, than the series. I'd advise others to do the same.

It's sad that when I try to think of decent mecha in the past 2 years other than GBF all I come up with is Majestic Prince.

I got up to episode 10 or so, and I remember not being impressed by the action at all.

It's been awhile, but I believe that the more impressive fights happen after that. Izuru vs Jiart was at the end of the first cour I think.

Yeah, MJP ended up really great.. I even could see rewatch it in future.

Also Macross Frontier movies worth a mention.
I like those films, but not so much for the mecha. Macross F fights leave me barely able to follow the mess going on screen.

wonzo

Banned
How did it do that when Saint Seiya Omega didn't?!
goddamn

ssomega6.jpg

fertygo

Captain Earth - 22

BONES really need to un-associate themselves with Enokido, dude's really fucking lost it.

This is really terrible, and might make me put it into same tier as Guilty Crown in writing quality.

Jarmel

Banned
Trava: Fist Planet-
So I decided to give this a watch as I'm on a Kanada mindset and Imaishi storyboarded the 2nd episode. Trava is a 4 episode OVA, each episode runs about 12 minutes, that focuses around a pilot and his mechanic. There are other characters as well and they're part of the problems I have with the OVA. The series was directed by Katsuhito Ishii and Takeshi Koike,both of Redline fame. On that note, the art direction is very much in line with Redline.

For being a 40 minute OVA, this was boring as fuck at times. The first 10 minutes is just the two characters talking back and forth. Now that wouldn't be so bad if they didn't spend much time later talking but good god does the run time get eaten up by people talking. It's not even interesting banter either. It's utterly boring stuff. They pick up a third person, a 'hot' female in a capsule pod. I really didn't find her attractive but she's clearly designed to be attractive. Oh and she has amnesia, very original.
iboGiwNF660GeB.jpg

She has ginormous birthing hips. Good lord.
So much of the runtime is just stupid things happening for no reason. So in short like a bad Space Dandy episode. I understand a lot of it is played up for comedic purposes but I didn't really find most of it funny but just rather random nonsense. What really irked me though is that the female companion
finds out that she's a princess about halfway through and is gone for the rest of the OVA[ /spoiler]. So it's a lot of buildup for essentially no payoff. That's actually a big issue with the OVA as a whole as the pilot and mechanic spent a lot of time talking about this big tournament but we never see the tournament actually take place. Turns out it leads into Redline but it really makes the work feel incomplete here.
Music was pretty forgettable. The animation I'm sort of mixed about. The art direction itself is really prominent and unique but I feel that it takes over the work and makes it really hard to keep track of all the action and certain points. It all becomes way too busy and just turns into a mess, something I thought was really apparent at times in episode #2 and #4. It's all well animated in the sense that parts are really fluid and fast but I feel the staging isn't there at all unlike Redline. Also there is a good chunk of the OVA series that is just people talking in a rather boring fashion so not much animation there.
So in short, I feel like this is a work where the art direction is the central focus and everything else falls way short. Now that wouldn't be the biggest of deals but it feels like Koike's art direction just overpowers the work, something similar at times to Dead Leaves. In addition, less talking and more explosions/fighting.

Captain Earth - 22

BONES really need to un-associate themselves with Enokido, dude's really fucking lost it.

This is really terrible, and might make me put it into same tier as Guilty Crown in writing quality.

Other than Space Dandy, what was the last Bones non-adaptation that didn't have shit tier writing? The original DtB?

Jarmel

Banned
Other than Space Dandy, what was the last Bones non-adaptation that didn't have shit tier writing? The original DtB?

DtB really got a nostalgic boost due to how shitty the sequel was. At the time, the writing for the OG series was pretty shit in the later half too.

Really the last great non-adaptation for BONES on just a writing level was Eureka Seven. No joke.

DtB really got a nostalgic boost due to how shitty the sequel was. At the time, the writing for the OG series was pretty shit in the later half too.

Really the last great non-adaptation for BONES on just a writing level was Eureka Seven. No joke.

The writing in DtB certainly had its flaws, but it worked well enough for the type of show it was that I wouldn't put it in the shit tier. But yes, Eureka Seven seems like the last time Bones wrote something great for an original series.

That
reset gimmick
is from2nd arc of Star Driver, and to lesser extent Utena.
And I thought the writing was poor in the opening episodes.

I wish it would be the case here.
Indeed. I'd take that over the lackluster Death Note inspired show it's become since 5 has arrived.

Jarmel

Banned
That
reset gimmick
bring me straight 2nd arc of Star Driver, and to lesser extent Utena.

I really don't remember that in Star Driver. I remember a time loop thing. I also expect the thing in Captain Earth to be a dream due to the Entangle Link rather than something tangible.

I'm just pissed at it because it's dragging all this shit out. Where the fuck are my good mecha fights?

fertygo

I really don't remember that in Star Driver. I remember a time loop thing. I also expect the thing in Captain Earth to be a dream due to the Entangle Link rather than something tangible.

Its might be technically different thing, but shit's un-excuseable anyway for me, I seen this shit before, you ain't fooling me.

I'm just pissed at it because it's dragging all this shit out. Where the fuck are my good mecha fights?

I can only hope the last eps is parade of sakuga at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom