• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahouka - 22
It really sucks to l:ive in the mahouka-verse . There is nobody on the streets , on the highways, nobody on the hospitals either !

Now i know that the official escuse is the fact that a lot of things are automated ( trains, houses chores, even cars ( tatsuya on his bike is actually using an old electric system )) but still ...it was bothering me before , it's still bothering me now.It was just more obvious in the prison. I mean it was a detention facility , come on, where are the guards ?!!

Anyway this episode of mahouka had a nice chunk of action , so it's ok. I still think that the direction/montage of events could have been done better (without the cuts ) and i still think that they should have explained the various changes in power after the nineschool competition. I mean if you look at the disciplinary comitee scene in this episode, you clearly see that someone else is in charge. But nothing of the sort was explained.

Anyway, tatsuya doesn't need gas masks: As if sleeping gas could work when you can heal any damage done to you within miliseconds.BUt the REAL reason why i smiled during this scene was because it was teh first appearance of PIXIE !
Mahouka%20-%2022.jpg

Pixie the house maid robot FTW !
I had totally forgot that her first appearance was in fact in this arc and not later ..Anyway HYPED for S2, The pixies scenes are the most laughables times i had while reading LNs in 2014.

#Hype.

Also, a chinese martial art assasin ? confronted to 3 haxxors highschool students ?He didn't really stood a chance, did he.

Hugstable

Banned
Log Horizon 1

Okay, that started out pretty cool.

My god, that OP, I'm dying.

Pretty interesting, delving into the mechanics like this. And Akatsuki is cute.

Hope this is gonna be good also, gonna end up watching it after I finish off a few other anime that I'm currently watching

Captain Earth Episode 18
Cross posting from the Captain earth OT
Well i had those episodes on hold for a while and maybe it's the right time to watch them.

So it's time for the midsummer knights to go back to earth .
First daichi , you're not a hero but you sure act like one, not that i'm complaining.
Second hana , Some characterisation was there .. and it's ok to see her seek new things.

However , this episode didn't have remotely enough magical girls.

This episode mark the first time where puck didn't lie, for once i believe he genuily doesn't understand a woman heart, this is 100%garanteed to bit him in the future. I'm an expert so i know , angry woman actions cannot be predicted, even if you're a EXTRA ADAVANCED AI.

Captain%20Earth%20-%2018.jpg

And ? think it's not enough to save the world ?
As for the ark faction, well that plan was alright..judging by the end of the episode i believe this is a multi layered trap , so i won't comment much yeton said trap effectiveness. But still , to capture, confront 3 mechs powered by infinite energy , you're sending unmanned tanks and drones ? Notsureifserious.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Haikyuu!! 22

You can already tell
that they are going to lose to Oikawa.
Sales seem good so I guess a season 2 in 2015 is probably going to happen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 40
This is to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time what Our War Game was to Summer Wars.

No, seriously:
He even mentioned it off-hand in an interview!
Okay, so that's that.

It's made eminently clear from watching this episode that Hosoda had the most raw talent out of all the Toei directors at the time. It's no small feat when people like Igarashi, Yamauchi and Sato worked on this series; no wonder Hosoda was the one to make it big. From OGW and this episode, you can already see him veering towards the naturalism from later in his career, but this was still early days and the Ikuhara/Yamauchi influences are still felt. To be quite honest, while it's clear that he has not stopped improving as time went by and that Wolf Children is his most accomplished creation, I kind of prefer the more art-house and blunt feeling you get from this episode, Digimon 1999 or One Piece 6. The stilted close-ups, overt visual metaphors and gloomy undercurrent are so uniquely executed that it's sad he probably won't come back to this. I understand why, he's making mainstream films now and the way he approaches it is probably better suited for the kind of stories he tells in his originals, ones that would be successful with a broad audience. But his style at this point was just so much more interesting and unique.

This episode is just really masterful. It provides a more sensible and touching exploration of what being basically immortal in a world of mortals entails than the whole Queen plotline has done in almost a dozen episodes. Little touches like the postcard at first, the truck leaving at the end, even the voice acting of the woman being deliberately natural and low-key. The elaborate staging and repetition of layouts was used to such a superb effect that when the 'climax' of the episode came it was felt with a huge immediacy, achieved by simply cutting to a familiar layout.

More interestingly though, Doremi's state of mind ends flat-out unresolved unlike in the Onpu and Aiko eps. It raises a genuine insecurity which has been touched upon before in the show but never brought to the foreground like this, and Doremi herself was really upset by the end. I wonder how they're gonna wrap it up. Maybe with the Pop episode next? I doubt it though.
Is this the one where she meets a woman and becomes friends with her, but the episode ends with the woman moves away?

One Piece "3D2Y"

Would have been a better special if the B. World character and plot received less screentime. Only real special part of it was at least Captain Buggy and Hancock provided really funny scenes. One of the better One Piece specials for a few other minor aspects and character drop ins.

The first five minutes on Marineford was incredible and then then last scene in the ED
Older SABO looks so amazing animated

Midonin

Sabagebu 09

Maybe the person who can keep Momoka in line was in front of me the whole time and I never noticed. Thank you, Agent P, for being the honky voice of reason amidst all this chaos. Having an episode that was largely Momoka-free was also a nice change of pace. The Aussie segment was alright, too. They may not have a had a beach episode, but it's still an anime, and there's still going to be swimsuits somewhere. It's only sensible.

Please Teacher! 06

That's a lot of Pocky.

Mizuho's relatives comes to visit. Her mom and... oh, crap, it's the annoying little sister character that doesn't like it when somebody gets close to her big sister *sigh*.

And then there's Hyosuke who
slept with Kaede and then stops hanging out with the group for the whole summer. Then when he finally gets forced to meet with Kaede again he makes a case for breaking up. But they don't break up so it's all fine?
Yeah, ok.

Rail Wars! Episode 9 - Thank You

I think this was the best arc of the anime. The rush through the mountains to carry an organ on this old car was exhilarating and fun, and at times education with not only the geography and railway system but other minor details for engineers. Dont see myself as a train person to want to work for one like this, I cant imagine the pay is that good for it.

Midonin

Akame 09

Wave seems to be being set up as a counterpart to Tatsumi, but with how long characters stay alive in this series, I can't say for certain. Esdeath's girly side with her romance quest does provide some interesting gap moe, and there was some nice Mine moment at the start, but I'm going to have to agree with Akame on this one. Tatsumi should find some way to take the money and get out of dodge lest he wants to end up on ice.

Sōdai Hotel Budapest
(I'm so sorry)

Delicious film that captivated me from start to finish, with a fresh setting, charismatic characters, an intriguing story that never stops moving, funny moments and of course, lots of style.

Tribe Cool Crew, the upcoming kids' dance anime, has opened up its website with a key visual, character designs, and a staff listing:

Director: Masaya Fujimori (You Are Umasou)
Series Composition: Atsuhiro Tomioka (Pokemon XY)
Character Design: Yoshiaki Yanagida (You Are Umasou)
Animation Production: Sunrise
Animation Production Assistance: Asia-Do

The designs are appealingly quirky and off-kilter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not too hot on these designs, they should be dinosaurs instead.

Tribe Cool Crew, the upcoming kids' dance anime, has opened up its website with a key visual, character designs, and a staff listing:

one upside down looks like a great character, cant wait to see it in motion.. No composer yet?

Akame 09

Wave seems to be being set up as a counterpart to Tatsumi, but with how long characters stay alive in this series, I can't say for certain. Esdeath's girly side with her romance quest does provide some interesting gap moe, and there was some nice Mine moment at the start, but I'm going to have to agree with Akame on this one. Tatsumi should find some way to take the money and get out of dodge lest he wants to end up on ice.

Wave was a great addition to the cast, can definitely see some similar parts to Tatsumi. I can only hope hes actually a keep member of the antagonist Jaeger Force and wont be tossed away like other antagonists of the past few episodes.

Im glad Lubbock is getting a bit more screentime rather than being in the shadows, was potentially one of the most disappointing parts of the anime so far, though with Bulat fate I guess it cant be helped. Always preferred Lubbock over him anyway.

I think best episode of the anime thus far, great start scenes with the training, backstory was good, and conclusion + fight wasnt bad at all.

Shizuka

Wave was a great addition to the cast, can definitely see some similar parts to Tatsumi. I can only hope hes actually a keep member of the antagonist Jaeger Force and wont be tossed away like other antagonists of the past few episodes.

Im glad Lubbock is getting a bit more screentime rather than being in the shadows, was potentially one of the most disappointing parts of the anime so far, though with Bulat fate I guess it cant be helped. Always preferred Lubbock over him anyway.

I think best episode of the anime thus far, great start scenes with the training, backstory was good, and conclusion + fight wasnt bad at all.

I love how "e________e" I was at the end of the episode.

Phatmac

SORRY NIGHT RAID ID JOIN MY QUEEN ESDEATH OVER YOU GUYS! Solid episode that introduces even more characters that'll probably die soon.

MetalDeer

Just finished Future Diary.

And wow.. that whole last 3 or 4 episodes was, uh, something else, alright.

**Spoilers**
I couldn't help but feel there was always something taking away from how serious the show's tone is supposed to be.
Why is the Eighth's head so big? Why is Yukki such a moron? Why is the whole premise of the survival game started with "Oh, well, the mayor just made some magical phones and went to talk to God."? Why did they suddenly give the Ninth super powers? Couldn't they have done something else to resolve things rather than deus ex machina? (Yeah, I know that's the god's name, but it's still silly as all hell) Oh, and let's not forget, suddenly, time travel. Why?

I really wish I could say I liked this show, but it's a little too silly and crazy for me, I guess. There was definitely a lot of potential for it to be awesome, but I feel the writers were a little too insistent on making it
"Deus Ex Machina with a Hint of Yandere: The Show".
I think I would've enjoyed this a lot more if it all revolved around the Ninth; she's the only character I feel was interesting. Making almost all of your characters exaggerated archetypes isn't the key to making a good anime, it does the opposite.
Oh, and Aru Akise reminds me of Kaworu from Evangelion a little too much.

Anyways, it wasn't all bad. There was some pretty good animation and music (Although the second OP and ED were horrible), and there were a couple characters and general themes that I liked.
(Way to go Yukki, you're a selfish piece of shit. But he never seemed to actually redeem himself, at least in my eyes.)

It was about as enjoyable to watch as a train wreck, because in the end, that's really what it is.

Looks like it's genuinely for kids. Hope it's good, though that lead writer is worrisome.

mankoto

Aldnoah.Zero 9
Is this some sick joke?

It's definitely gonna be rushed. Considering we saw Yamori, Ayato, and Suzuya too early hmmm. Oh god this arc is gonna be censored like crazy.
There's 2 episodes left and what? 30 or so chapters to animate? It's going straight down the drain.

Captain Earth - Episode 19
Cross posting from the CAPTAIN EARTH OT

So this is the second part of the landing operation and of the salty dogs plan to get Hana.

Having seen the full plan of the ark faction it was ..kinda dull ? Ok , the magical girl paralized all their crafts for more than a hour but i expected a little more effort to get what is essentially a KEY piece of their plan to escape.
Still this episode, like the last served as a glorious hana mutou develloppement arc and the result is favorable. Nothing was really learned other than the fact that "Captain" is now the KEY ( as if that wasn't even more obvious given that he is so far the only one that could output enough to power-up the final weapon ) but hey, captain ! No pressure, ok ?

Captain%20Earth%20-%2019_01.jpg

if only you could have hacked that robot ... not enough magic power i guess ?
Magical girl did wonders, again but i wish she could have done more. i know i know the main dish in this episode was the pursuit ... but still . Well maybe i should get my expectations in check.

Puck learns that he was being dumped, for such a AI that could manipulate humans and killt-gangs , making such a mistake is really surprising. I still think that it's going to cost him a lot.

As for the ark faction, can we really get rid of this ASAP ?
You're in a isolated room , discussing your secrets plans and ..you need THIS FORM OF COMMUNICATION ?
WTF.
How does this work ? The gal is on a helicopter FLYING , and how can she hear what's being said over such a primitive method? i know i know it's anime ..but i can't take them sériously because of this.i really can't.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
whatever kind this falls into:
c80cbf6bb9502b0f205e2fee53c26cda.gif

Yes, i'm aware it's from a movie. Just wondering if there's similar stuff in shows.

You'll be hard pressed to find an entire show with sakuga throughout (hell, even movies have to cut corners here and there).

But there are people and places that collect examples of good sakuga from various works.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/ is an image board that only has gifs/webms of sakuga.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sakuga+mad this search will give you a list of sakuga scenes, called MADs, from various animes. Why are they so angry? I have no idea.

And if you're seeking out wuxia sakuga in particular, Seirei no Moribito has some great showcases of it, although the series isn't really heavy on the fighting.

http://a.pomf.se/htwzny.webm
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/bd4fb357648ea11668099168db3ede13.webm

Katanagatari also had one single scene that really stuck out.
http://a.pomf.se/jujdju.webm

That's about as much as most series can afford, given their budget.

whatever kind this falls into:
http://i.picasion.com/resize70/c80cbf6bb9502b0f205e2fee53c26cda.gif[/IG]

[SPOILER]Yes, i'm aware it's from a movie. Just wondering if there's similar stuff in shows.[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]
You're not going to get anything as good as Sword of the Stranger with any TV series but [B]Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta[/B] and [B]Hoshi no Umi[/B] had some damn fine action scenes.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 40
This is to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time what Our War Game was to Summer Wars.

No, seriously:

He even mentioned it off-hand in an interview!

Okay, so that's that.

It's made eminently clear from watching this episode that Hosoda had the most raw talent out of all the Toei directors at the time. It's no small feat when people like Igarashi, Yamauchi and Sato worked on this series; no wonder Hosoda was the one to make it big. From OGW and this episode, you can already see him veering towards the naturalism from later in his career, but this was still early days and the Ikuhara/Yamauchi influences are still felt. To be quite honest, while it's clear that he has not stopped improving as time went by and that Wolf Children is his most accomplished creation, I kind of prefer the more art-house and blunt feeling you get from this episode, Digimon 1999 or One Piece 6. The stilted close-ups, overt visual metaphors and gloomy undercurrent are so uniquely executed that it's sad he probably won't come back to this. I understand why, he's making mainstream films now and the way he approaches it is probably better suited for the kind of stories he tells in his originals, ones that would be successful with a broad audience. But his style at this point was just so much more interesting and unique.

This episode is just really masterful. It provides a more sensible and touching exploration of what being basically immortal in a world of mortals entails than the whole Queen plotline has done in almost a dozen episodes. Little touches like the postcard at first, the truck leaving at the end, even the voice acting of the woman being deliberately natural and low-key. The elaborate staging and repetition of layouts was used to such a superb effect that when the 'climax' of the episode came it was felt with a huge immediacy, achieved by simply cutting to a familiar layout.

More interestingly though, Doremi's state of mind ends flat-out unresolved unlike in the Onpu and Aiko eps. It raises a genuine insecurity which has been touched upon before in the show but never brought to the foreground like this, and Doremi herself was really upset by the end. I wonder how they're gonna wrap it up. Maybe with the Pop episode next? I doubt it though.

Hosoda brought with him Tomoyo Harada, as the VA for Majo Mirai who gives some guidance to Doremi, like she did in TokiKake for Makoto as Makoto's aunt.

Hosoda's episode is completely different in tone, directing and even content to pretty much the entirety of the rest of the show. I think it's the first episode out of the 200+ I've watched where magic is not casted at all (someone correct me if I'm forgetting some).
It's pretty self-contained in true Hosoda vein, just like his Digimon and One Piece entries.

The rest of the show is excellent, of course, but it's also 200+ episodes instead of just one :p

Then look foward to episode 49, because he's going to do it again, the tone of 40 and 49 really fell different from the rest of the series while still being Doremi like. :p

Is this the one where she meets a woman and becomes friends with her, but the episode ends with the woman moves away?

Yes, it is.

Sabagebu! 09

Poorara confirmed for worst Sabagebu

That last sequence, is Momoka a fucking wizard? Did she just teleport or am I seeing the sequence wrong?

Akame Ga Kill! ep 9

Esdeath is the reason why she is the best character. The villain you can't hate but to love. No wonder the hero of the village she conquered wants to be dominated and lick her feet.

OBVIOUSLY YOU DON'T LOVE HER ENOUGH TO CALL HER THE CORRECT NAME ESDESE

What wars?

It's already pretty well known Esdese is #1.

Everyone else is desperately fighting for that #2 spot.

As much as i like waifu wars , esdese is #1 ..this is just too hard to deny.

--------------------------------
Captain earth - 20
This post is NOT CROSS POSTED with the captain earth OT

Every mecha anime these days much have idols..i think that i've learned to accept it.
I'm just asking that they are better characters than MEER in gundam seed destiny.

So the conclusion is that i don't mind this idol.
More character develloppement for Teppei is cool. I could have seen this coming a mile away.
But i'm glad this happenned. You're going to need some serious magical power to ease teppei worries.
The rest of the episode was ok.
Next episode seems very cool. Hana i thought you'd stop being a damsel in distress now that you've got your livelaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom