• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Other than Space Dandy, what was the last Bones non-adaptation that didn't have shit tier writing? The original DtB?

Tokyo Magnitude 8?

(given that they've only done about five completely original shows since the original DtB...)

I'm being kind to Un-Go by calling it an adaptation.

Also "shit tier" is completely different from "not brilliant". I would assume had I cared to watch it and liked the original Eureka Seven that I would think E7:AO was "shit tier", for instance, but although Star Driver isn't very good it's hardly got "shit tier writing", I'd reserve that for something truly dire rather than a bit boring. I know, internet hyperbole and all that, but...

Tokyo Magnitude 8?

(given that they've only done about five completely original shows since the original DtB...)

Also "shit tier" is completely different from "not brilliant". I would assume had I cared to watch it and liked the original Eureka Seven that I would think E7:AO was "shit tier", for instance, but although Star Driver isn't very good it's hardly got "shit tier writing", I'd reserve that for something truly dire rather than a bit boring. I know, internet hyperbole and all that, but...

I hated Star Driver's writing, so it qualifies in my book. I can't speak for Tokyo Magnitude 8, since I haven't watched it.

Give thanks to Hisashi Hirai.
His designs must interbreed in his mind, which would explain why they have become worse over time.
I'm not willing to lower my standards to that level. I'd rather just watch the MAD's, and the final episode, than the series. I'd advise others to do the same.
Would watching the movie basically be the same experience? I can't bring myself to just watch clips from a series, though I presume the movie is much like that. *laugh* The brain is a silly thing.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 40
This is to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time what Our War Game was to Summer Wars.

No, seriously:
TokiKake
iZOpIz4BI5Ddl.jpg
iFMYepdGaIKGk.jpg

Doremi 40
iHzGEyw2ojjd8.jpg
iAG4kTRrn5n2m.jpg
He even mentioned it off-hand in an interview!
[Hosoda]: [...]yes, Digimon kind of started my idea for Summer Wars. And the same thing for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I worked on a very short TV anime and that movie was like the extension of the TV anime that I worked on.
Q: Which anime was that?
A: Ojamajo Doremi DOKKAAN! Episode 40. That was the start of the idea to work on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Okay, so that's that.

It's made eminently clear from watching this episode that Hosoda had the most raw talent out of all the Toei directors at the time. It's no small feat when people like Igarashi, Yamauchi and Sato worked on this series; no wonder Hosoda was the one to make it big. From OGW and this episode, you can already see him veering towards the naturalism from later in his career, but this was still early days and the Ikuhara/Yamauchi influences are still felt. To be quite honest, while it's clear that he has not stopped improving as time went by and that Wolf Children is his most accomplished creation, I kind of prefer the more art-house and blunt feeling you get from this episode, Digimon 1999 or One Piece 6. The stilted close-ups, overt visual metaphors and gloomy undercurrent are so uniquely executed that it's sad he probably won't come back to this. I understand why, he's making mainstream films now and the way he approaches it is probably better suited for the kind of stories he tells in his originals, ones that would be successful with a broad audience. But his style at this point was just so much more interesting and unique.

This episode is just really masterful. It provides a more sensible and touching exploration of what being basically immortal in a world of mortals entails than the whole Queen plotline has done in almost a dozen episodes. Little touches like the postcard at first, the truck leaving at the end, even the voice acting of the woman being deliberately natural and low-key. The elaborate staging and repetition of layouts was used to such a superb effect that when the 'climax' of the episode came it was felt with a huge immediacy, achieved by simply cutting to a familiar layout.

More interestingly though, Doremi's state of mind ends flat-out unresolved unlike in the Onpu and Aiko eps. It raises a genuine insecurity which has been touched upon before in the show but never brought to the foreground like this, and Doremi herself was really upset by the end. I wonder how they're gonna wrap it up. Maybe with the Pop episode next? I doubt it though.

BluWacky

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 40
This is to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time what Our War Game was to Summer Wars.

Stop it, Shergal. You'll make me watch this damn show if you're not careful.

(yes, I KNOW everyone thinks it's great and all that, but I just can't be arsed.)

duckroll

So if there were prototypes for both Tokikake and Summer Wars, what about Wolf Children?! It is truly his first completely original full length film concept?!

Shergal

Stop it, Shergal. You'll make me watch this damn show if you're not careful.

(yes, I KNOW everyone thinks it's great and all that, but I just can't be arsed.)

Hosoda's episode is completely different in tone, directing and even content to pretty much the entirety of the rest of the show. I think it's the first episode out of the 200+ I've watched where magic is not casted at all (someone correct me if I'm forgetting some).
It's pretty self-contained in true Hosoda vein, just like his Digimon and One Piece entries.

The rest of the show is excellent, of course, but it's also 200+ episodes instead of just one :p

fertygo

Is it too much to expect new OG BONES show written by Keiko Nobumoto? :\
Tokyo Magnitude 8?

Captain Earth really qualified for that in my book, its brought nothing new, incoherent, and worst of all fucking boring.
Stop thats offensive to us Guilty Crown fans :( Please apologize. I thought it was a great episode.

You like both, that should register as compliment to you!

Mr.Jeff

Aria: The Origination 8
Episode was Maa-heavy, which is good because Maa's cool and doesn't get enough screentime. Also the first time he (she?) didn't bite Aria's belly.
In one of the extra chapters
they reveal that Maa is actually a girl and her biting Aria's belly is some kind of weird sign of affection.

Only a few more episodes left!

Not good enough for Space Dandy, apparently :/
She was feeling particularly benevolent that day.

Edit: Oh, did her episode not turn out well? I was joking anyway. I haven't watch Cowboy Bebop or Wolf's Rain in a very long time, so I don't know if she really is a good writer.

Shergal

Well, I wouldn't call this latest episode bad, it actually sort of worked unlike her other three entries which felt a bit sloppy and rusty. But it wasn't amazing writing either (which Nobumoto can definitely deliver). It's surprising that the newbie Kimiko Ueno has been doing a better job than the other more experienced writers like Sato and Nobumoto. (e: now I read that Ueno doesn't seem to be quite a newbie, so whatevs)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Monogatari 17

One of thethings that confuses me about this series is that araragi pretty much seems to have pretty much zero consequence being a harem protagonist, while kinda not being one? He basically made out with 3 girls this episode and it basically amounted to nothing.

Also where the hell is senjougahara?

duckroll

Haikyu - Episode 22

Watching Kageyama's growth is really satisfying. The episode did a great job of showing how much he has changed, and how much he continues to change as he tries to improve himself as a player. It was nice seeing Oikawa getting more development too. Makes him less of a one-note super strong opponent they have to defeat, and more of an adversary with his own motivations and ambitions. That's one thing I've felt the series has done a great job of - there's someone in every team which grounds the competitiveness on a personal level, rather than every match being just an obstacle to get over.

A better question would be: what was the last anime non-adaptation that didn't have shit-tier writing?

Off the top of my head... Tsuritama maybe?

duckroll

Space Dandy and Terror in Resonance aren't shit tier. So you don't have to go back so far. Though I'd agree that anime original works often have problems with their writing.

Honestly, I can't really say the -writing- in Terror in Resonance is much better than say.. Star Driver, so the definition of "shit-tier" is kinda vague here. I don't think they're awful by any means. The writing on Dandy differs so much from episode to episode too.

I guess instead of looking at "shit-tier" we could look at what the last original anime was which had generally consistently good writing, from a strong start to a satisfying climax, which didn't showcase moments of severe weakness.

Well, I'd say Girls und Panzer, but Tsuritama definitely qualifies as an anime-original with strong writing.

Yeah Girls und Panzer is a great pick too. I just didn't think of it because writing isn't the main thing I felt the show had going for it. Tsuritama stuck out more for me.

phaze

Monogatari 17

One of thethings that confuses me about this series is that araragi pretty much seems to have pretty much zero consequence being a harem protagonist, while kinda not being one? He basically made out with 3 girls this episode and it basically amounted to nothing.

Also where the hell is senjougahara?

She gets some screen time in the next arc.

That's not the impression I got.

Well as Duckroll said, the the definition here is vague, but Space Dandy has enough well written episodes for me to exclude it here, and while I'm not thrilled with the way Terror in Resonance has developed, I wouldn't go so far as to call the writing shit tier.
Honestly, I can't really say the -writing- in Terror in Resonance is much better than say.. Star Driver, so the definition of "shit-tier" is kinda vague here. I don't think they're awful by any means. The writing on Dandy differs so much from episode to episode too.
I have a lesser opinion of Star Driver than many, so that'd be the divergence here.
I guess instead of looking at "shit-tier" we could look at what the last original anime was which had generally consistently good writing, from a strong start to a satisfying climax, which didn't showcase moments of severe weakness..
Going by this, Girls Und Panzer seems the be the best answer. Though GBF had pretty solid writing despite my problems with how the cheating angle developed.

duckroll

I have a lesser opinion of Star Driver than many, so that'd be the divergence here.

Going by this, Girls Und Panzer seems the be the best answer. Though GBF had pretty solid writing despite my problems with how the cheating angle developed.

I think the biggest problem with Star Driver is ultimately how it chose to conclude the story. it made a lot of what happened before it feel like a waste of time. If Terror has a more satisfying conclusion, it would probably be more fondly remembered in the future, especially since it's a thriller. I guess we'll find out!

Antiwhippy

Monogatari 20

Noooo, not mayoi. :(

Despite all the weird pedo shit araragi pulls off on her, I thought she was a genuinely fun character with her interactions with araragi.

Finalow

Not good enough for Space Dandy, apparently :/
if I'm not wrong she worked on the script of the season 2 episodes 2, 6 and 9. haven't watched 9 yet but 2 and 6 are probably the weakest episodes of the season. especially 6 which was pretty bad.

never watched Wolf's Rain though. should I?

if I'm not wrong she worked on the script of the season 2 episodes 2, 6 and 9. haven't watched 9 yet but 2 and 6 are probably the weakest episodes of the season. especially 6 which was pretty bad.

never watched Wolf's Rain though. should I?

Yes, Wolf's Rain is a powerful, soul-piercing show with strong characters and story.

Can anyone recommend an anime with really good Sakuga?

Hyouka. It's got really good everything else too!

Haikyuu!! Episode 22 - Evolution
BwXukpdIYAA4bHS.png

Oikawa backstory was done better here than in the manga, while everything else was great. TsukiKage moments were my personal highlight due to how it fit in with the theme Evolution. A Tsukki training arc is needed though
announce season 2 please, I want my powered up Tsukki, Bokuto, Kuroo

All the king references work so good for both Tsukki, and Oikawa.

Link Man

Banned
Log Horizon 1

Okay, that started out pretty cool.

My god, that OP, I'm dying.

Pretty interesting, delving into the mechanics like this. And Akatsuki is cute.

Antiwhippy

Monogatari 26

Wait.

What.

No.

No goddamnit.

Did they really kill off one of the coolest characters in this series at the last minute.

Arrggggggggh.

Welp, onto hanamonogatari then. I'm guessing that it's just the suruga devil arc tacked onto the end of monogatari? Monogatari was super fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom