• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other short-ish series you guys would recommend? I'm talking 25-50ish episodes, maybe more maybe less. I know Woofington recommended me Gurren Lagann because it was on Toonami or something.

If you liked Gurren Lagann, watch Gunbuster and Diebuster, in that order.
That's the first thing I'd do. 6 episodes each, both by Gainax as well and are essentially the groundworks of Gurren Lagann (especially Diebuster) along with Getter Robo.

Gargantia 9

So the Hideause are actually
evolved humans from the 5th Ice Age, nothing too new in sci-fi though admitingly human-mollusk hybrids are an uncommon bred

...Crap, I think I might have spoiled what the Gauna really are in Knights of Sidonia.

Posted this last night but doubt anyone saw it. Especially Woofington who recommended it.

Finished Gurren Lagann

Holy shit. I don't even know what happened in those last two episodes - that was so trippy. The show was crazy. I loved the evolution theme, starting out from a rudimentary village underground all the way to fighting in space-time. Nuts how that happened without me even realizing it, but I guess that was the point? Really clever. The show started off a bit slow, but it made the end so much better with the whole evolution you witness. Liked the character development, similar to FMA Brotherhood there were a ton of characters but they all got just the right amount of screen time/development time. Didn't feel like they were juggling too much. Simon changed a lot, though to me it sort of seemed like he just became Kamina which is weird because they went on and on about how he should try and "be himself". That's fine with me though because I loved Kamina.

That was great, thanks for recommending it everyone!

Now my list of watched anime:
Attack on Titan (so far)
FMA Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagann

To watch:
Cowboy Bebop (waiting for blu rays...?)

Any other short-ish series you guys would recommend? I'm talking 25-50ish episodes, maybe more maybe less. I know Woofington recommended me Gurren Lagann because it was on Toonami or something.

glad you enjoyed it. To your comment on Simon
he idolized Kamina, so it's no surprise he reminded people of him and took inspiration of his charisma. But he is still his own man, Kamina was more about screaming and smiling all the time, Simon was a bit more grounded and even more inspirational
. Based on what you've enjoyed I can recommend these from my top 15:

Baccano (16 episodes including OVA's)- show with multiple characters, set throughout history but largely (like 90%) in 1930's America following a cast of colorful characters. Largely dealing with mafia and people associated with them. You might enjoy it based on how you like a large cast of characters which all get a decent amount of development, which this show does a pretty good job on. Plus it has some great music, action, and pretty bloody.

Black Lagoon (20+ episodes)
- Another show that has made its mark in Toonami and is loved by ToonamiGAF from what I've seen. Seinen action with some badass scenes, based around a team of people who do odd jobs in an island filled with different mafia and scum of the earth. Recommend it if you want a seinen (aimed at young adults to older men) anime largely inspired by silly western-styled action, there are terminator maids, nazis, modern day samurais, etc...

Berserk (3 films)- you can either watch the three films or watch the older tv shows, I will recommend the three films. It might awkward CG splattered around, but the story itself is amazing and if you want dark fantasy action with a badass lead this is your best bet. The manga is my favorite manga, but that has a lot of chapters and the movies has some great action and scenes.

Fate/Zero ( 20+ episodes)- my second favorite anime (first is Cowboy Bebop). Another modern fantasy show (somewhat similar to Fullmetal Alchemist), but much darker and philosophical. Great cast of characters, great action scenes, and every character is interesting in his/her own way except for a few. Warning the films don't finish the story, not by a longshot, but more films based on the manga might eventually come.

Steins;Gate (20+ episodes)- Really has nothing to do with what you've seen, but this show needs to be watched by more people (as popular as it is), and another show the internet and the West absolutely loves (similar to Gurren Lagann's love). Modern sci-fi series about a group of teenagers/young adults who discover time travel.

Yamato 2199 (20+ episodes)- fuck it while I'm recommending good shows, watch this as well. Amazing sci-fi. Star Trek meets Battlestar Galactica

zulux21

Posted this last night but doubt anyone saw it. Especially Woofington who recommended it.

Finished Gurren Lagann

Holy shit. I don't even know what happened in those last two episodes - that was so trippy. The show was crazy. I loved the evolution theme, starting out from a rudimentary village underground all the way to fighting in space-time. Nuts how that happened without me even realizing it, but I guess that was the point? Really clever. The show started off a bit slow, but it made the end so much better with the whole evolution you witness. Liked the character development, similar to FMA Brotherhood there were a ton of characters but they all got just the right amount of screen time/development time. Didn't feel like they were juggling too much. Simon changed a lot, though to me it sort of seemed like he just became Kamina which is weird because they went on and on about how he should try and "be himself". That's fine with me though because I loved Kamina.

That was great, thanks for recommending it everyone!

Now my list of watched anime:
Attack on Titan (so far)
FMA Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagann

To watch:
Cowboy Bebop (waiting for blu rays...?)

were you the one that started this like 2 weeks ago and wasn't really feeling it after the first few eps? (where I said the first few eps didn't grab me but after that it was lots of fun :p)

also... you could totally pile on more gainax crazy on top of what you just watched and burn through FLCL quickly :p

Though at this point a little break from the crazy could be nice so you could take a different path towards something like Baccano.

glad you enjoyed it. To your comment on Simon
he idolized Kamina, so it's no surprise he reminded people of him and took inspiration of his charisma. But he is still his own man, Kamina was more about screaming and smiling all the time, Simon was a bit more grounded and even more inspirational
. Based on what you've enjoyed I can recommend these from my top 15:

Baccano (16 episodes including OVA's)- show with multiple characters, set throughout history but largely (like 90%) in 1930's America following a cast of colorful characters. Largely dealing with mafia and people associated with them. You might enjoy it based on how you like a large cast of characters which all get a decent amount of development, which this show does a pretty good job on. Plus it has some great music, action, and pretty bloody.

Black Lagoon (20+ episodes)
- Another show that has made its mark in Toonami and is loved by ToonamiGAF from what I've seen. Seinen action with some badass scenes, based around a team of people who do odd jobs in an island filled with different mafia and scum of the earth. Recommend it if you want a seinen (aimed at young adults to older men) anime largely inspired by silly western-styled action, there are terminator maids, nazis, modern day samurais, etc...

Berserk (3 films)- you can either watch the three films or watch the older tv shows, I will recommend the three films. It might awkward CG splattered around, but the story itself is amazing and if you want dark fantasy action with a badass lead this is your best bet. The manga is my favorite manga, but that has a lot of chapters and the movies has some great action and scenes.

Fate/Zero ( 20+ episodes)- my second favorite anime (first is Cowboy Bebop). Another modern fantasy show (somewhat similar to Fullmetal Alchemist), but much darker and philosophical. Great cast of characters, great action scenes, and every character is interesting in his/her own way except for a few. Warning the films don't finish the story, not by a longshot, but more films based on the manga might eventually come.

Steins;Gate (20+ episodes)- Really has nothing to do with what you've seen, but this show needs to be watched by more people (as popular as it is), and another show the internet and the West absolutely loves (similar to Gurren Lagann's love). Modern sci-fi series about a group of teenagers/young adults who discover time travel.

Yamato 2199 (20+ episodes)- fuck it while I'm recommending good shows, watch this as well. Amazing sci-fi. Star Trek meets Battlestar Galactica

Awesome. Thanks for the list. I might check out Fate/Zero because it's on Netflix so I can knock that one off the list before I have to sub to crunchyroll.

were you the one that started this like 2 weeks ago and wasn't really feeling it after the first few eps? (where I said the first few eps didn't grab me but after that it was lots of fun :p)

also... you could totally pile on more gainax crazy on top of what you just watched and burn through FLCL quickly :p

Though at this point a little break from the crazy could be nice so you could take a different path towards something like Baccano.

Yes, that was me haha. You were totally right, the show became crazy! The evolution theme sort of happened and I didn't even realize we went from digging underground to fighting in space! Thanks for telling me to not give up...(a theme from the show, heh).

JoeFu

Banned

It's blackface Cajun. They showed a "sista" in the background and were talking about soul singers.

iHbUXKOJRdpk.png

zulux21

I haven't seen this posted but if it has well just ignore me :p

Dreamworks is "in early talks" with Australian actress Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street) to star in the American live-action film of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell cyber-police manga. Deadline notes that Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) would direct the proposed film off a script by William Wheeler (Hoax, The Reluctant Fundamentalist). Avi Arad (formerly of Marvel Studios as well as of the Spider-Man and X-Men movie franchises), Seaside Entertainment's Steven Paul, and Mark Sourian (The Ring Two) are producing. Robbie will appear in the upcoming films Focus (with Will Smith) and Z For Zachariah.

more info

Yes, that was me haha. You were totally right, the show became crazy! The evolution theme sort of happened and I didn't even realize we went from digging underground to fighting in space! Thanks for telling me to not give up...(a theme from the show, heh).

I am assuming that my comment about the show being to grounded makes a lot more sense now :p

I need to sit down and watch Fate/Zero myself... I would have watched it already but my wife wants to watch it with me and i have been trying to clear xillia (for the second time) with her and catching up on person of interest with her so I haven't gotten to it yet :/ I wonder when I will because I think the new sailor moon dub is up next for us and that starts this weekend @_@

If you're going to watch FMA:Brotherhood then you should at least watch the original.

It's almost like an unwritten rule to see both and not just one.

Awesome. Thanks for the list. I might check out Fate/Zero because it's on Netflix so I can knock that one off the list before I have to sub to crunchyroll.

If you watch Fate Zero I'll give you the same warning we all give to newcomers who watch it:

The first episode (50 mins total) is largely exposition and the characters talking/preparing themselves for the rest of the show. They explain the mechanics of how this world and setting works and the reasoning to all of the battles that will take place, etc...

Don't give up based on that as it becames a pretty amazing show once you pass that.

If you're going to watch FMA:Brotherhood then you should at least watch the original.

It's almost like an unwritten rule to see both and not just one.

Eh unless you're dying for more is not necessary and after like 60 episodes of one show you might want to take a break.

zulux21

If you watch Fate Zero I'll give you the same warning we all give to newcomers who watch it:

The first episode (50 mins total) is largely exposition and the characters talking/preparing themselves for the rest of the show. They explain the mechanics of how this world and setting works and the reasoning to all of the battles that will take place, etc...

Don't give up based on that as it becames a pretty amazing show once you pass that.

that first episode is why I haven't watched it all yet.
It wasn't that i didn't enjoy the ep (I did) but I was like...
nope... do not want to watch this show on a weekly basis I am going to wait until it's all out and enjoy it in all of it's glory lol. (I have seen the first few eps already as I watched them on my own before my wife told me I couldn't watch the show >.>)

Eh unless you're dying for more is not necessary and after like 60 episodes of one show you might want to take a break.

Thanks for the heads up. And yeah I just didn't want to watch ~120 episodes of FMA. I'll probably watch FMA at some point in the future, but after watching Brotherhood I was content.

Was the beach Normandy?

No.

I posted the Sanic picture because the episode involved a girl breaking the sound barrier so I thought it'd be appropriate.

Though it was also because I was pretty much bored with this episode, as most anime beach episodes tend to make me.

zulux21

heh that reminded me to double check to see if there are signs that they have third party support to reach the funding... and they totally seem to at this point... little doubt they will reach that goal now.

I always love it when a kickstarter that clearly has other funding from outside people suddenly starts getting large amounts of money steadily after they died out and weren't getting money for a while :p (typically the big boosts happen in the last 48 hours when reminders are sent out, not a week before that)

either way, if fans started randomly giving them a lot more money, or if the third parties are funneling money into it, I am glad it's going to get made for the people that want it and are backing it.

I thought Brotherhood was almost perfect, so I was content with how it ended. Heard mixed things about the original in that regard.

Original has its own perks.

Like having a much better Lust and Sloth.

The original tv series does have its ups and it's worth a watch, but I'm still butthurt over it because (do not read shortpants)
Ed didn't end up with Winry
. Which the manga and Brotherhood fixed.

Wasn't it implied that
he ended up with a look alike of hers in the real world
?

I mean, there's a short but I'm not aware if its canon or not.

zulux21

What will they do when they don't reach their goal?

The odds of them not reaching their goal is under 5% (aka 95% chance they will) from what I am seeing... the only way they really don't is if their AMA ends up convincing their backers to run away screaming which is unlikely.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yama no Susume 7-8
So perhaps it's time away from the show that has made me look at it with fresher eyes, but it's just really weird how fanservicey the show has suddenly become.

Episode 7 was basically all about buying swimsuits, leading to shots like this one:
E6u9mcyl.jpg

And episode 8 had some really weird/akward Kaede male gaze fanservice that I'll just leave for you to look at for yourself if you're so inclined.

It makes me wonder if this is a result of the extra length of the episodes. When the show was 5 minutes, there just wasn't time to indulge in the darker desires of the animators and the anime fan. Now, it seems like the sky is the limit.

FhNtvC1l.jpg

Whatever the reason for the fanservice, it becomes a bit difficult to square the message of the show with the fact that they keep putting Kaede in a sports bra on camera over and over again. Certainly Hanayamata panders as well, but it didn't really feel as "bad" as the last two episodes of Yama no Susume.

Still, I'm sold on seeing them climb Mount Fuji... so onwards and upwards.

Incidentally, I finally watched the OP for the first time and I had no idea that it looked so completely different from the anime:
nPZAY3gl.jpg

Anyone know who did it? It seems familiar, but I can't really place it.

StormKing

heh that reminded me to double check to see if there are signs that they have third party support to reach the funding... and they totally seem to at this point... little doubt they will reach that goal now.

I always love it when a kickstarter that clearly has other funding from outside people suddenly starts getting large amounts of money steadily after they died out and weren't getting money for a while :p (typically the big boosts happen in the last 48 hours when reminders are sent out, not a week before that)

either way, if fans started randomly giving them a lot more money, or if the third parties are funneling money into it, I am glad it's going to get made for the people that want it and are backing it.

Kojima endorsed it. The increase in funds may be coming from that.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...id-hideo-kojima-endorses-under-the-dog/.78313

Blusby

The mechanics of the war make up roughly like 10 mins of the episode in total, the rest of it is simply character introduction and a look into their motives, Zero is a very talky series just as Unlimited Blade Works this Fall will be.

Syrinx

Earth Maiden Arjuna 5

This episode reached a new level of preach with that burger scene.

Anyway, it appears these SEED people have the capabilities to intercept emergency service calls, which allowed them to get their hands on Juna and Tokio for that weird thing they were doing. And then they had that guy creeping on the amount of bacteria in Juna's stomach and her umbilical cord potion (which I'm fairly certain is a crock of shit, but I don't remember any particulars about it) which was...um...odd.

...Yeah, I think this show's about to take a walk on the wild side. The really wild side.

Articalys

Incidentally, I finally watched the OP for the first time and I had no idea that it looked so completely different from the anime:
nPZAY3gl.jpg

Anyone know who did it? It seems familiar, but I can't really place it.
The Yama no Susume S2 OP is super-creative and attractive, thanks to Masashi Ishihama, creator of such classic OPs as Welcome to the NHK's and Kamichu's. Like those, it has clever integration of credits into the visual package, which is something I always enjoy seeing. This is the sort of OP that a Shaft show would have had back in the days when Shaft made good OPs.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=88

zulux21

Almost all Kickstarters get a huge boost the last week. This isn't anything remotely new.

I can't even find a single popular ongoing one aside from under the dog to back up that claim lol on kicktraqs (though one has a random boost in the middle and another does have 4 days at the end of strong pledges).
most successful kickstarters actually look like this
where you have a really strong start, and a fairly strong last two days (this one is still ongoing thus has no data for the last day)

for an even more popular and sucessful project we can look at the double fine one
which did indeed start going up again a bit before the 48 hours, but merely 4 days before the end not 10 like under the dog is.

they tend to get their big boost in the last 48 hours when the reminders are sent out, not the full last week. it's rare for any project to get a big boost in the last week unless something big changes (and for under the dog it hasn't) or unless a third party starts funneling money into it (which happens to a number of kickstarters that already have a third party backing them) it's not impossible that fans started suddenly giving out a lot more money, but the jump to around 20k a day before the kojima enforcement (aka a medium change) and then more after that supports the idea of a third party starting to funnel money into the project to make sure that they get the pledges of the 300k or so that was pledged before they started funneling money into it. (as even with the 10% loss in fees 270k minus the physical goods they will need to make is more than the 28k they will lose in fees from their own money, and with the project looking more likely to succeed at the end more people will likely pledge and they can start to take their money back to lose even less in fees)

as I said though, either way it whether there is actually third party involvement (it isn't for sure, but it definitely seems suspicious just like the group rankings in that last steam sale :p(and it's not like it hasn't happened a number of times in the past on kickstarter with other projects from different groups)) or just because fans randomly started donating as an irregularly to common kickstarter trends it will be nice for the people who donated to get the goods they want, which at this time seems very likely to happen, which is something I couldn't say a week ago when normal kickstarter trends showed it had no real chance to make it.

Prisma Illya 2wei 09

That was pretty good. Watching Bazett wreck everyone really makes me wish F/HA would get an anime though. Maybe after UBW and HF.

Shergal

From The New World 25-final

Wooooooooooooooow.
WHAT A SERIES.
WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW.

10/10

Episode 25 is certainly a 10/10, as are some others, but I still can't get over the memory of all the inconsistent animation, bunny hopping around in the snow for nothing and CG boulders... :(

From The New World 25-final

Wooooooooooooooow.
WHAT A SERIES.
WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW.

10/10

I didn't care for the ending to this at all. Something just felt off and rushed in the last few episodes. They lost me somewhere around the romp around
the a super deformed Tokyo as well. I didn't really find the game of cat and mouse they played with the rat race, running from so and so's child, really all that interesting. It would've been more exciting if we'd seen more examples of life in the old world in my opinion
. The whole thing just seemed to drag at that point and I lost interest.

G Gundam -13

Wow. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Like, I know that Master Asia is evil. As Corvo says, it's common knowledge apparently.

But I really wasn't expecting the four likable characters that the series built up these past 12 episodes to all fall over to the side of the Devil Gundam. Part of me is hoping that this is all some scheme and they're actually not evil or something because I kind of liked those guys. :(

Jarmel

Banned
I can't even find a single popular ongoing one aside from under the dog to back up that claim lol on kicktraqs (though one has a random boost in the middle and another does have 4 days at the end of strong pledges).
most successful kickstarters actually look like this

where you have a really strong start, and a fairly strong last two days (this one is still ongoing thus has no data for the last day)

for an even more popular and sucessful project we can look at the double fine one

which did indeed start going up again a bit before the 48 hours, but merely 4 days before the end not 10 like under the dog is.

they tend to get their big boost in the last 48 hours when the reminders are sent out, not the full last week. it's rare for any project to get a big boost in the last week unless something big changes (and for under the dog it hasn't) or unless a third party starts funneling money into it (which happens to a number of kickstarters that already have a third party backing them) it's not impossible that fans started suddenly giving out a lot more money, but the jump to around 20k a day before the kojima enforcement (aka a medium change) and then more after that supports the idea of a third party starting to funnel money into the project to make sure that they get the pledges of the 300k or so that was pledged before they started funneling money into it. (as even with the 10% loss in fees 270k minus the physical goods they will need to make is more than the 28k they will lose in fees from their own money, and with the project looking more likely to succeed at the end more people will likely pledge and they can start to take their money back to lose even less in fees)

as I said though, either way it whether there is actually third party involvement (it isn't for sure, but it definitely seems suspicious just like the group rankings in that last steam sale :p(and it's not like it hasn't happened a number of times in the past on kickstarter with other projects from different groups)) or just because fans randomly started donating as an irregularly to common kickstarter trends it will be nice for the people who donated to get the goods they want, which at this time seems very likely to happen, which is something I couldn't say a week ago when normal kickstarter trends showed it had no real chance to make it.
First off, look at the number of backers.
dailybackers.png

If it is a third party then they must have access to hundreds of accounts to funnel money into. It's not just the funds that have gone up but the actual number of backers. Here's an example where the last two weeks Wasteland got a notable boost and the last week in particular had stronger numbers:
dailypledges.png

Edit:Also look at the dates when they got the boost. ANN had just posted this big interview.

Syrinx

Aria: The Origination 12

I thought things were really gonna come full circle in Akari's exam and they sort of did. I was expecting to see a few more faces though, like the cafe owner or the puppeteer. Still, it was kinda surreal to watch. Everything was leading to this. And the series os really coming to a close.

I wager that something Alicia had to tell her is something similar to Aika managing that other new branch. That's gonna be hard to watch.

zulux21

First off, look at the number of backers.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog/dailybackers.png[IMG]

If it is a third party then they must have access to hundreds of accounts to funnel money into. It's not just the funds that have gone up but the actual number of backers. Here's an example where the last two weeks Wasteland got a notable boost and the last week in particular had stronger numbers:
[IMG]http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/dailypledges.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

while I will conceed that wasteland 2 did get a good amount of funding in the last 2 weeks after a downfall we don't see wasteland 2 remotely repeating what under the dog is doing which is not only replicating the first few days in backing but a prolonged string of them exceeding the first few days backing (outside the second day) by quite a bit. (in fact wasteland 2 never remotely got close to any of the first 3 days numbers.)

and last time I checked it didn't cost any money to make a kickstarter or amazon account and it's really not hard to send money to kickstarter through various different means (amazon makes it pretty easy to give them money, I am pretty sure you can even use prepaid visa gift cards on their accounts). I am saying there is a good chance they have a third party funding them through kickstarter, not that they have idiots doing it like some other projects. Also thanks for bringing up the backers, I had noticed them before and they aren't the really interesting thing. the more interesting number to me is the comments. while we did indeed see an increase in backers, we didn't really see an increase in comments until the kojima thing
[QUOTE][IMG]http://puu.sh/bkCAo/5dbc30aa54.jpg

which would also support the idea that a number of people via a third party are funneling money into this kickstarter, as they wouldn't care to comment, but a decent number of people who are excited fans would take the time to comment at least once... but alas when we suddenly had 400% more backers we still had the same amount of comments as when you had 100 backers. You also have to wonder if the third party didn't test out their mass funding system back on august 21st when there was a random spike in donations and backers but again not in comments.

Again it's possible that they don't have a third party backing them and that fans who didn't care about the project randomly started giving them money, but if I was kickstarter I would look into it :p

Also once again, it really doesn't matter to me if it is fans or a third party (my gut just looking at the data just says 3rd party which is about the only way it seemed like it would get funded after it had such a poor launch, but given it would need to be an intelligent third party and kickstarter can't be bothered to shut down any rigging of stuff unless it's painfully obvious (and even sometimes not even then) there is little chance we will ever know for sure), at least people who have backed the project legitimately either way will get the rewards they want and are excited about, which is always a good thing.

note:
I also kind of like conspiracy theories :p

edit: what article? I can only find one for august 11th and sept 2nd not for august 28th the true oddity here.
edit 2: also wow those articles on ANN have no one discussing them lol. 2 and 1 posts, meanwhile angry birds manga has 10 and ghost in the shell movie has 18 both from today :p

cajunator

Banned
Episode 25 is certainly a 10/10, as are some others, but I still can't get over the memory of all the inconsistent animation, bunny hopping around in the snow for nothing and CG boulders... :(

None of that stuff really seemed to matter. The show rose above it. Besides, Maria's bunny hopping was adorable.

CorvoSol

G Gundam -13

Wow. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Like, I know that Master Asia is evil. As Corvo says, it's common knowledge apparently.

But I really wasn't expecting the four likable characters that the series built up these past 12 episodes to all fall over to the side of the Devil Gundam. Part of me is hoping that this is all some scheme and they're actually not evil or something because I kind of liked those guys. :(

Fun fact: Master Asia is also the guy who announces every episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom