• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 9

gekkanshoujo9.jpg

would watch/read a genderswap racoon series

Quasar

I kind of want to watch After Story now. I read it years ago, but I remember it being more bloated and boring than anything else. Everyone seems to have such an extreme reaction to the anime.

It is interesting that there seems to be little middle ground. At least not among people who post about it online. I'd say I'm really positive about it despite the terrible, now standard it seems, key end.

Patema Inverted

yxlfnu.jpg

Cool premise, but what a disappointment of a film. Everything is run off the mill as if the director went through a generic checklist of anime cliches: generic hero, generic damsel in distress, generic love story, generic villain without any motivation doing evil things. Also the world is never fully explained,
the inverted people have a land above and under the ground?

3/10 only because the concept is cool. Meh movie that I won't recommend to anyone.

cajunator

Banned

Cutie, but CG ugh.

Gargantia final thoughts

I liked it. Not enough to buy the Blu-Ray/DVD combo in a month (mostly due to price) but enough to look forward to the sequel.

It's nothing new or groundbreaking, but it has enough to keep me interested in the world and characters.

The dub is pretty good too. Matt Mercer and Patrick Seitz are easily the best parts of the dub.

Overall, pretty good show.

Thanks for reminding me this was soon!

Millennium Actress

Beautiful animation. Loved they way they showed part of Chiyoko's past through her acting career. And that gut punch at the end.

I hated the presence of the two reporters in her past though. Broke the immersion of many scenes and felt the comic relief they provided was neither funny nor needed.

The reporters being "there" is classic Satoshi Kon. The whole idea of blending her fantasy with reality is achieved through the reporters. Had it just been told in a straightforward way, it would lose some of the charm and experience in my opinion. You see Chiyokos life and get involved in her movie roles through the reporters experiences in her memories and it is a rather fun way of telling a story. As Jexhius said, the whole point of the movie is the involvement of the reporters as they appear to interact with Chiyokos past. Its a really interesting idea that not many films have attempted.
I feel that this was the most pure form of Satoshi Kons blend of fantasy and reality in that it wasnt shoehorned into a dream or psychosis, but instead felt organic. The reporters were simply there to "witness" her memories and it felt so natural.

Jex

Patema Inverted

Patema-Inverted-2013.jpg

Cool premise, but what a disappointment of a film. Everything is run off the mill as if the director went through a generic checklist of anime cliches: generic hero, generic damsel in distress, generic love story, generic villain without any motivation doing evil things. Also the world is never fully explained,

3/10 only because the concept is cool. Meh movie that I won't recommend to anyone.
While I would agree that the writing in Patema Inverted is it's Achilles heel, everything is explained within the movie.

Persona 4 the golden animation - 09

It was alright

Last week episode was better

Persona%204%20The%20Golden%20Animation%20-%2009.jpg

well , it's cold outside it seems.

Well episode 10 for the ending.

"It's not like i'm looking forward to it , don't misunderstand me , BAKA !"

Haha Corvo, thanks for that. Saved your comment immediately.

I mean I do think that the last third of Afterstory is good in some regards (ending excluded)...well on its own anyways. If I disregard everything that has happened prior and don't try to apply much logic. While still not s.th. I'd consider subtle the attempts at emotional drama was way better executed than anything prior in this show.

Then again, that last part may have looked better to me than it actually is because it was a follow-up to a complete shitpile. I mean you mention how the early stuff doesn't even fucking matter whatsoever and I just skipped all that. I was seriously confused at the beginning of afterstory.

Clannad overall is just so genuinely bad that it's kinda horrifying to see just how darn popular it is.

I eventually ended up watching it because I heard a lot of praise for it and, after playing through Katawa Shoujo, it was recommended as a great VN. Going from s.th. like Katawa Shoujo which was so good because the characters felt like actually human beings to this...mother of god.

Rail Wars 10
So they are guarding a prince. You know, Why are they giving what is supposed to be a part of the regular security force for the station such a high risk and important job. Shouldn't they at least supply the team with a professional. Not surprised
the prince was a girl

Patema Inverted

Agreed with the first part, not with this

Also the world is never fully explained,

Wow. I didn't think you'd actually go through with it! I mean, after I wrote that spoiler post for you and everything! Oh well. Congratulations on making it through anyway! At least now this community knows not to recommend you anything from KEY ever again!

Just remember, watchbets aren't all that bad, and either side can back out of them if he/she really wants to if it really isn't going all that well. You just happened to end up with a really less than favourable one.

So when you're ready to take on another one, remember that Narag and me are available!

Midonin

Sailor Moon Crystal 05

With how they're keeping the generals alive, and the general tone, this is coming off as more of an animated version of the toku version than an adaptation of the manga at times. Every incarnation has its flaws and its strengths, and Crystal is moving at a quick pace, if nothing else. Especially with the Moon Stick already appearing. I like Ami Koshimizu's performance as Mako, though I need someone to edit in "Before my body is dry" over the Jupiter transform.

Magimoji Rurumo 09

The first part with cosplay was pretty cute. Masako is someone else who's giving off vibes of Mirei, only she's the whole package instead of the exterior. This is reminding me of a discussion AnimeGAF had a while ago about why they haven't made a Vocaloid anime yet. Maybe some day. Part B was lewd, but still had a sense of innocence about it. Lewd-rumo will probably be moreso with the hotsprings episode next week.

2. THE MIRACULOUS CONCEPTION. Because for FUCK'S SAKE, they don't ever even kiss. They hold hands twice and just happen to have a babby. I mean, Nagisa CLAIMS babby was formed by sex, but frankly I don't believe for a second a couple so utterly afraid of sex they SLEEP UNDER SEPARATE BLANKETS ON SEPARATE MATTRESSES AND DO NOT ENTER THE BATH WHEN THE OTHER IS OCCUPYING could possibly spend enough time naked together to conceive a child. Especially since I swear to God Nagisa would cry even worse than she does during regular speech. And yes, the idea of these two wide eyed fucktards getting jiggy has been burned into my mind by a hateful God, so PLEASE ENJOY THAT IMAGE, TOO, FRIENDS. I could draw it for you, and I bet the picture wouldn't get me banned since Tomoya and Nagisa probably copulate fully clothed on opposite sides of a building.

This is incredible. I'm crying in laughter.

Even though I haven't seen Clannad the hate in this thread is immense, like holy shit 0:

Thank god Gintama is probably my top anime because no one in this thread would shit on it.
There better not be Gintama haters.

Noragami 5-8

Man, I feel bad for Yukine. Hes finally starting to realize that he's really dead and wont be able to have a normal life ever again. Seeing him lose it at the end of episode 8 was just heartbreaking.

Kofuku's threat to Bishamon was great though. I always knew she was an inner badass, no matter how ditzy she is on the outside.

I enjoyed it too! I wasnt aware it was given a dub though. Make sure you see episode 15 if you haven't, it has some backstory for Krugel which I found very interesting

Will there be a season 2, or do you mean sequel as the OVAs coming out?

The OVAs. I'm not sure if they announced a 2nd season or if we'll get a 2nd season.

Mr.Jeff

I must have missed the bit about the
inverted people's land above and under the ground.
This bit always seems to get people. Maybe this will help? (spoiler natch)

Lupin S2 - 155 (END)
Sorry for the image spam but it's another simply delicious looking episode. Once again this episode does a wonderful job of showcasing such a vibrant and detailed world which comes in contrast to some of the "lazier" episodes that precede it.

While it was technically excellent on all levels I still think I prefer 145. Both of Miyazaki's episodes had a anti-war/military vibe to them but this felt far more overt than previously.

Thematically though, it ties in amazingly to Lupin's ethics of helping people at the right time and even ropes in Fujiko who typically for the series, wouldn't normally be part of such things normally.

As for the second series as a whole, as expected for a 155 episode series, there's a lot of ups and downs in the quality of the show. There are some fantastic episode even aside from the episodes done by Miyazaki but there's a far greater quantity that feel done by rote.
It's too much really to expect much of the character dynamics to change in a show designed to be separate individual stories each week but it does end up type-casting it's characters quite a lot. Most of the Mine Fujiko episodes were very poorly written and normally followed a pattern of alliance then betrayal before always ending up being forgiven by Lupin. It's a wearisome plot device especially after life and death situations.

Will probably carry on and move onto the third series as well but I must keep to my watchbet watch-contract and move onto idolm@ster instead. Sigh.

Gargantia final thoughts

I liked it. Not enough to buy the Blu-Ray/DVD combo in a month (mostly due to price) but enough to look forward to the sequel.

It's nothing new or groundbreaking, but it has enough to keep me interested in the world and characters.

The dub is pretty good too. Matt Mercer and Patrick Seitz are easily the best parts of the dub.

Overall, pretty good show.

I found Gargantia to be a pretty big disappointment. It took far too long for anything to really "happen" after the dude crash landed which was unfortunate given the setup of the initial episode. And then when they finally start solving the mystery of the creatures around them and maybe create some sort of shift in behavior for the main character they *series spoilers*
drop everything and talk about the other space bro. The entire sequence of events of learning that the creatures were a different branch of humanity and our main character letting the other dudes continue to slaughter them while acting all depressed and such was weird enough without them dropping that plot entirely and going in a different direction.

At least it was pretty. I enjoyed the OVAs as self contained experiences though.

fertygo

I found Gargantia to be a pretty big disappointment. It took far too long for anything to really "happen"

The series gonna far better if anything never "happen" tbh the slice-of-life first half and one of OVA are far more superior than the "serious" side.

Hope the sequel is closer to the fun nature.

Narag

The series gonna far better if anything never "happen" tbh the slice-of-life first half and one of OVA are far more superior than the "serious" side.

Hope the sequel is closer to the fun nature.

I was just thinking that myself. It could have been left open ended and I'd been fine with that given how strong the episodes about Ledo's integration into that society were.

Link Man

Banned
Cross-posting:

Sailor Moon Crystal 5

Girl saves Usagi's life, and her only thought is "She smelled nice". wat

Also, Usagi and girl are magically transported to middle of the block.

Well, that arm-swinging animation will take root in my nightmares.

It's like they turned the obnoxious levels up to 11.

Fuck fuck fuck, the senpai trope!

Defining herself by what her man wants. This is becoming intolerable.

And Luna is downgraded to obvious exposition bot.

Lol, Makoto immediately recognizes Sailor Moon as Usagi. Paper-thin disguise.

She has TWO attacks? Wow.

Why am I watching this?

I remember when [name withheld to avoid shaming] recommended Clannad: After Story to me in the past. I dodged a bullet there.

I think Clannad, like most comedies actually needs you to find it funny to be entertaining. When you don't find something funny it's really easy to find problems with it, especially I've found with Japanese stuff where the humour can be very over the top. Personally when I watched Clannad I found it hilarious so when Nagise exclaims that she's been having sex I'm cracking up.

Midonin

Marimite S4 11-13 + Final Thoughts + Retrospective

Everything comes full circle. The show began with Yumi being asked to be a little sister, and in a way, it ends that way too. The Touko-heavy final season was a bit more heavy on the drama than those that came before it, but the way "pastel pure" played over that final scene, the way everything came together, it warmed my heart. The four seasons flowed into each other pretty seamlessly.

As one of the premiere yuri series, comparing it to other shows that took its model and exaggerated it, like Strawberry Panic, it's a lot more subdued. Everything from the color palette, to the characters' speech (good job on the translations, Nozomi) is subdued. Extremely subdued. Even the outbursts of emotion from the characters are restrained in an upper-class way, be they upper class or not. Everyone's focus was spread around equally, even though I felt that Sei/Shimako/Noriko took up a large portion of the second season, and Yoshino could've used a little more focus.

I just really love Yoshino. She's got attitude, passion and is a lot of fun to have on screen. I can see that it's an acquired taste, especially with how slow the pacing can be at times - the entire show only covers a years' worth of time. Mostly because of my permanent yuri goggles, I enjoyed it, though I'd ultimately call it above average. It's polished and written with just the right amount of drama, but as I said, extremely subdued by its nature.

I liked the lyrical version of "pastel pure", but the S3 arrangement was the best.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibto 11

The ship has malfunctioned and the outside hull is in need of repairs. Cue space cat girl to go outside to make the repairs. Somehow while exchanging modules and she severs her life line by closing a door and starts to drift into space. You'd think closing a door wouldn't be able to cut a cord that thick or that she would be smart enough to keep the cord that is her only way back to the ship away from sharp objects that could cut it. She is saved by her would be fiance and they vow to get married as soon as they get back on the ship. As cat girl is leaving the ship for the new planet the crew wishes to inhabit she says her last goodbye to her mother. I still find it creepy that she is talking to
a rotten corpse
and doesn't realize that she is
dead

Cut back to Gargantua and his pervert henchmen with horny fox girl in Japanese space garden. We get the same animation as the gag from the previous episode yet it hasn't made it any funnier with its reuse. Hazuki and Lilith arrive at the space garden. It is here that Gargantua, Hazuki and Lilith encounter Eve/Jill/Hatsumi.

CorvoSol

Well if it makes you feel better Corvo, I now feel really happy that I never finished watching Clannad and never will. Some things are best left ignored and Clannad seems to be one of those things.

If nothing else is accomplished, let it be that one soul heeded my words and avoided this show like the plague it is.

Sword Art Online II Episode 10 - Cringe of Death

Holy fuck why am I watching this show? I was literally cringing the entire time as I watch Sinon falling into a blubbering, whimpering mess. But what ho, Kirito dick was there to save the day. And of course she must beg him to stay with her forever and protect her because the power of Kirito's d to fix any and all of his harem's problem is absolute. I also still have a massive problem with the actual crying and the laying down on his lap and such.

Oh Sinon you used to be a good character. Guess I'll just be watching this for the fights now instead of the fights AND Sinon.

Jex

Lupin S2 - 155 (END)
As for the second series as a whole, as expected for a 155 episode series, there's a lot of ups and downs in the quality of the show. There are some fantastic episode even aside from the episodes done by Miyazaki but there's a far greater quantity that feel done by rote.

Is there like, an agreed upon list of Lupin episodes worth watching?

Midonin

SAO II 10

I suppose finally revealing everything about each other in a cave is more dramatic than doing it before going into the battles. I'm okay with Sinon's trauma, and while Kirito's problem feels a bit out of left field, I still find it okay-ish. Now it feels like Sinon's trying to be played up as some sort of romantic interest, which does appear to be a fault of the author's. Overall, my thoughts on SAO II remain the same. I understand the problems with it, but I still think it feels more cohesive than the first season.

Sinon was never a good character. She simply wasn't part of his harem. She was a character that took video games way too seriously, and in real life was terrified of the Fonz from happy days everytime he said "eeeeey" to her. She was an MLG player with a really dumb selective mental condition and before you knew it she turned into a tsundere for no apparent reason other than "this show doesn't have a tsundere".

I'm eagerly awaiting Aldnoah zero impressions to know if I should drop the show so spoil me in spoilers people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sword Art Online II Episode 10 - Cringe of Death

Holy fuck why am I watching this show? I was literally cringing the entire time as I watch Sinon falling into a blubbering, whimpering mess. But what ho, Kirito dick was there to save the day. And of course she must beg him to stay with her forever and protect her because the power of Kirito's d to fix any and all of his harem's problem is absolute. I also still have a massive problem with the actual crying and the laying down on his lap and such.

Oh Sinon you used to be a good character. Guess I'll just be watching this for the fights now instead of the fights AND Sinon.

This is the equivalent of Sawashiro trying to get her acting Emmy. It really feels like an Emmy-reel moment. lol
I wonder if there are Seiyuu awards...

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
SAO II - 1 episode out of 2 is a goddamn train wreck, so many fillers.

Looking forward to Aldnoah Zero, my favorite anime this summer.

I recently watched Psycho Pass, really enjoyed it, though the pacing is quite slow at first, it picks up and it is a marvel to watch.

Mr.Jeff

Is there like, an agreed upon list of Lupin episodes worth watching?
Hmm. I don't know really. I could take a skim through the episode synopsis' and make one but that would be my own personal opinion which.... may or may not be useful.
Quick google brings up this which picks out some fairly decent episodes.

As an aside.
The idolm@ster - 01
It was exactly as bad as I thought it would be.
Also still trying to cope with some of the VA switches from Xenoglossia.

yea I hope they leave Anno alone so he can actually work on Eva.

Maybe if him and other staff from Studio Khara weren't involved with Ghibli stuff then we could have had a proper trailer for Eva 3.0+1.0 by now

Its coming out this year right and its the last one of the series isn't it? I'm really sad its ending but also really excited :/

I have no plans to watch the trash that is SAO II but how is Kirito adding more people to his harem when he's going out with Asuna.

Defuser

Sword Art Online 2 ep 10
"You already live inside of me."

Holy shit, just kill me please. How can one man write so many terrible lines.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Crunchyroll:

We are looking into the issues with Aldnoah Zero episode 10 and will have it fixed as soon as we can. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The idolm@ster - 01
It was exactly as bad as I thought it would be.
Also still trying to cope with some of the VA switches from Xenoglossia.

Those are the right VA .

Get used to it since soon you'll go buy every single released of your favorite.

Don't fight it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom