• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noragami 4

FDcSGfX.jpg

The entire falling sequence was hilarious. Kofoku is such a ditz and the "ahhhhhh~" she makes as he drops the tea was hilarious. Now we know why Yato is so poor.

We also learn more about Yato and his past and I'm eager to see that side of him resurface.

Netflix is being lame now, stream all choppy :(

Gargantia final thoughts

I liked it. Not enough to buy the Blu-Ray/DVD combo in a month (mostly due to price) but enough to look forward to the sequel.

It's nothing new or groundbreaking, but it has enough to keep me interested in the world and characters.

The dub is pretty good too. Matt Mercer and Patrick Seitz are easily the best parts of the dub.

Overall, pretty good show.

Midonin

PriPara 10

Maybe it's because, no, it's exactly because I've been taking in so much MariMite over the past few weeks, that Love comes across like a more kid-friendly, exaggerated version of Rei. With Eiko as her Yoshino. Between her and Chanko, the city-state is welcome towards all kinds, as long as they support the bottom line for the merchandising.

It's really only him, but Bear's design with his face makes him look less like a mascot and more like a little man in a bear costume. Like Tingle. Which makes his country singer moments and tendency towards being slapstickked to hell a huge contrast from the Precure mascots. Also on the little details, Sofie's bodyguards have what is more or less a special ops unit set up to detect when she falls. That's some level of dedication, and this world plays it clearly for comedy, but also with enough conviction that I can believe their world really does work this way.

Strange that. Sofie took a step forward on her own, only to
reject Lala and Mirei's proposal. The drama has started to fall.
I think she'll be on their side by the end of the first cour before the OP changes - sad this show will only be three cours. Here I thought my relationship with Takara-Tomy ended once the Rescue series went off the air, but they've won me again with the Pretty Rhythm/PriPara franchise. It's the thing I write the most about each week, which says a lot about either me or the show.

Giovanni's Island
I'm a little conflicted about Giovanni's Island. I think the beautiful painterly background art, expressive character acting, and a number of lovely sequences on display- especially those featuring the Galactic Railroad train that the film frequently alludes to -truly elevate the messily structured narrative surrounding them. Even though the main characters themselves don't have much in the way of full character arcs, there are individual scenes and sections, both in the more well-realized first half and the weaker second half, that are very well-directed and have a weight to them that I found affecting despite the lack of said arcs.

Junpei's budding relationship and naive infatuation with Tanya was my favorite part of the film. Mizuho Nishikubo captures that young innocence and confusion well, but then the film nearly forgets Tanya's existence once it leaves the island. The second half delves into more familiar WWII internment camp scenarios, such as one involving the tried and true meeting of characters at both ends of a barbed wire fence. In Giovanni's case, the interaction itself is effective in how believably it's executed. But then it throws out some contrived dramatic beats to lead it into its conclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked Giovanni's Island. It walks a fine line between the extremes of capturing childlike wonder and dehumanizing war scenarios without losing control of its tone. The stylized designs lend themselves to being expressive while keeping the film from wallowing in the melodramatic. Even after reading Branduil's post, it's hard for me not to see the use of 3D overhead shots as Nishikubo evoking a living pop-up book with all of the standing houses, trees, and visible strokes filling up the painted backdrops. It's just that the film is so close to being a wholly great one rather than the good, albeit jumbled film that it actually is.

mankoto

Ao Haru Ride 9
Considering it's Kou, I'm pretty certain that nothing happened. I'd say she's overreacting but at first glance, it's understandable.

kinger256

Millennium Actress

Beautiful animation. Loved they way they showed part of Chiyoko's past through her acting career. And that gut punch at the end.

I hated the presence of the two reporters in her past though. Broke the immersion of many scenes and felt the comic relief they provided was neither funny nor needed.

Psycho-Pass 6

It's weird to see a show play the "they're so alike!" card when the only comparison so far between Kogami and Akane is that they're both really bland. They feel like these blank slates that only do and say things because that's what they're supposed to do and that's what their characters are supposed to be. Most noticeable when Akane does anything that requires a personality.

That being said, the addition of Hannibal-esque murders is a plus (even if the gorehound in me wants to see more than brief glimpses.) It gives the mystery some flavor, like the futuristic solutions in the last case. It's hard to escape the feeling that this is mostly setting things up, though; I feel like the hour-long edits would be preferable here. I'm a little disappointed that the overarching plot boils down to "criminal who helps criminals". Maybe they'll go somewhere interesting with it.

With how lengthy the Shakespeare discussions were in this episode and how much philosophy/play/etc. stuff was in the last episode, if this escalation of literary references continues I feel like the show is going to eventually have an episode where the characters take turns reading a philosophy textbook out loud.

"I'd bet the bra I'm wearing today on it." We get it, show. You want me to think she's hot and buy the pillow.

Branduil

I still feel conflicted about Giovanni's Island because it does a lot well but the script just doesn't quite gel into a proper story.

survivor

Banned
Finished reading Starting Point book the other day. Lots of great info and collection of essays and interviews. Miyazaki had pretty cool stories to tell especially about his earlier days before the Ghibli times. Also I liked reading his opinions on other movies and anime made at the time. He sure loved to complain about how many TV shows were being made every week.

Anyway, most shocking part I suppose was Miyazaki's low opinion of Tezuka. I mean he admits his influence, but he doesn't think too highly of his anime productions. He finds him relying too much on cheap pessimism and too manipulative. I mean I wouldn't go as far as saying Tezuka was wrong about everything when it came to anime like Miyazaki did, but his stories do have some pessimism that might feel cheap. Not that I'm experienced with his anime works, but manga like Phoenix, Message to Adolf, MW or Ayako do feel like have a lot of scenes added in there just to toy with the readers and make them sad, sorta like the example Miyazaki gave. Then again that doesn't necessarily mean he is a terrible storyteller.

Quasar

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha - 09

No matter how you spin it , no matter what escuse you've got , no matter the reason you've got to not advance the plot , That "sacrifice"
to seal everyone memories
was some high-grade bullshit

Yeah. I was pretty disappointed in how that all played out. Though at least the date happened.

Jex

Millennium Actress

Beautiful animation. Loved they way they showed part of Chiyoko's past through her acting career. And that gut punch at the end.

I hated the presence of the two reporters in her past though. Broke the immersion of many scenes and felt the comic relief they provided was neither funny nor needed.
Oh no, another Anthony. You're wrong, they complete make the entire movie. It would be pointless without them.

Nozaki-kun - 09

I can understand why people are saying that this is one of the weaker episodes of the series. The comedy just wasn't on point this week.

Psycho-Pass 7

I_am_talking.gif

This murderer girl is gonna get killed in the next episode (maybe in two episodes if they continue stretching this), so I'm not sure why the spiritual successor to Fate/Zero's first episode had to be made to discuss her motivations. It also chooses to rehash the fact that Makishima is doing that BBC Moriarty thing and re-re-establish that this society makes no sense.

Gargantia final thoughts

look forward to the sequel.

The dub is pretty good too. Matt Mercer and Patrick Seitz are easily the best parts of the dub.

I enjoyed it too! I wasnt aware it was given a dub though. Make sure you see episode 15 if you haven't, it has some backstory for Krugel which I found very interesting

Will there be a season 2, or do you mean sequel as the OVAs coming out?

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibto 09

Hazuki cuts through these ninjas with high squealing precision. Master Ninja stood no chance with his verbal announcement of every attack he performed. We learn that a comb has mystical powers that clumsy ninjas want for their own. What this power is is beyond human comprehension.

The direction of this episode is as terrible as ever with music cutting out mid song with no warning for dramatic effect (which it fails to do). I think I may be getting desensitized to close ups of anime T&A. Some of the character behavior (especially Gargantua's) is down right offensive. Lilith finally reveals that she can in fact perform magic.

Shergal

Finished reading Starting Point book the other day. Lots of great info and collection of essays and interviews. Miyazaki had pretty cool stories to tell especially about his earlier days before the Ghibli times. Also I liked reading his opinions on other movies and anime made at the time. He sure loved to complain about how many TV shows were being made every week.

Anyway, most shocking part I suppose was Miyazaki's low opinion of Tezuka. I mean he admits his influence, but he doesn't think too highly of his anime productions. He finds him relying too much on cheap pessimism and too manipulative. I mean I wouldn't go as far as saying Tezuka was wrong about everything when it came to anime like Miyazaki did, but his stories do have some pessimism that might feel cheap. Not that I'm experienced with his anime works, but manga like Phoenix, Message to Adolf, MW or Ayako do feel like have a lot of scenes added in there just to toy with the readers and make them sad, sorta like the example Miyazaki gave. Then again that doesn't necessarily mean he is a terrible storyteller.

I'm not too familiar with Tezuka's shows myself, but besides anything to do with the stories themselves, I've read many low opinions w/r/t his involvement in anime arising from disagreement with his (mass)production method and practices as well the boring, uncreative approach to limited animation in the very early Mushi Pro TV shows (think '63 Astro Boy, '65 Kimba times).

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibto 10

The evil mastermind Gargantua has created a masterful trap for poor Lilith so that he can interrogate her for Eve's location. Surely this sinister device will get him the information he requires! What more horrific torture is there to be strung up by your arms and legs to then be attacked by feather dusters!

The scenes transition from Gargantua being sexually assaulted by a horny fox woman to a bunch of young girls showering in what looks like prison cells in space. These girls' spaces suits also have cat ear like appendages on them because why not. Lilith and Hazuki both appear on the ship to disrupt the peace and also have some intimate girl to girl love.

By the end of the episode it is revealed that these young children's parents have been "immobilized" and the children continue to talk to their parents. In actuality their parents are
rotting corpses
and the ship's computer has synthesized their voices to respond to the children. This show got gruesome fast and I feel a bit disgusted by this concept.

The direction continues to be outrageous with camera shots of exposed pantsu areas on women but not without some cheap blurring effect! There is also a repeat of the same lame gag in a 2 minute time frame with reused animation. I like how whenever the narrator makes an appearance he makes it sound like the narrative is supposed to make sense.

As Pokemon once taught me, Light years is a measurement of distance not time!

CorvoSol

It's been a pretty good Summer, I think. I mean, there have been some serious emotional traumas, but let's overlook those for a minute and celebrate the ways in which we've grown and made serious improvements, right? Let's.

I mean look at me, I've lost some weight!

sX6RWrb.jpg

God I look so good now.

I've climbed mountains, I tended a garden!

rGjGlRx.jpg

and what an enlightening fruit it yielded!

I'm doing well. Real well. I even learned to drive, which is something I'd been held off from doing for years. I'm poised to graduate college within the coming year! I have a beautiful fiance!

7NUElsS.jpg

This last part is a lie.

And hey, would you look at that, I turned the big one! Twenty six! I've done a lot, and I've come a long way. The other day here in AnimeGAF I saw my first reaction to the end of The Big O compared to the second time around. I think it's safe to say I've made serious improvement in a comparatively short amount of time. Some people, though, insist that's not enough. There are those who would hurl some rather unsightly words about the decisions that brought me to this relatively better state.

Fine. Let us free Barrabas to the enraged throng, then.

CLANNAD: AFTER STORY, THE REST OF IT

Unmarked Spoilers for the series and its predecessor her follow!

b0nA5RB.gif

I really don't want to do this.

aCdOYwP.png

"A bet is a bet" they said. The law is sacred, they said. The law is powerless to save you, but never to condemn you, and into the depths we plunge.

u4jyomS.png

What more can I say to you than that? I don't know. So let me just bare to you the sheer awful of this anime.

First and foremost, it is important that you, the reader, understand the fundamental, inarguable truth: Clannad After Story is worse than Clannad. Do not mistake this as a statement meaning that Clannad itself was any good, because it isn't, but After Story is unbridled SHIT. THE BIGGEST SHIT. And those who tell you that After Story is good are either liars or have themselves been taken in the lie. It is the only possible explanation for this putrid, festering, massive, steaming turd.

And it IS a turd. Make no mistake there. We're talking a show where the first half of the series has NOTHING to do with the main characters and where the characters who DO feature in the first half AREN'T PRESENT FOR THE SECOND HALF IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY. This is a show that devotes TWO FUCKING EPISODES TO A WOMAN BEATING OFF HER CAT. That builds the world's most unrepentantly stupid series of lies into a towering, blistering whirlwind of melodrama based around no one dating anyone when everyone thinks someone is dating someone else. And NOT. A. THING. in that first half has ANY bearing on the second half of the show. And I don't mean that in the sense that "Oh the second half is better" the second half is just fucking unrelated.

The second half sees Tomoya get a job and then George Bailey his way through a series of bummers, each more annoyingly contrived than the last. Let's tear into why all of that is a McFlurry of diarhettic shit, shall we?

1. THE WEDDING IS AN AFTERTHOUGHT. As in, the bulk of the episode is about Nagisa having a faux graduation ceremony everybody dressed up for. Not her marriage to Tomoya, even though their romance is the foundation of the titular family. Even though their relationship is supposed to be the driving force behind this ENTIRE SHOW. The wedding doesn't even get its own episode! You know what DOES?

MOTHERFUCKING FUUKO. WHO IS BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND. POPULAR BEING A WORD WHICH HERE MEANS NO FUCKING SOUL EVER ASKED FOR THIS SHIT PLEASE MAKE IT STOP.

2. THE MIRACULOUS CONCEPTION. Because for FUCK'S SAKE, they don't ever even kiss. They hold hands twice and just happen to have a babby. I mean, Nagisa CLAIMS babby was formed by sex, but frankly I don't believe for a second a couple so utterly afraid of sex they SLEEP UNDER SEPARATE BLANKETS ON SEPARATE MATTRESSES AND DO NOT ENTER THE BATH WHEN THE OTHER IS OCCUPYING could possibly spend enough time naked together to conceive a child. Especially since I swear to God Nagisa would cry even worse than she does during regular speech. And yes, the idea of these two wide eyed fucktards getting jiggy has been burned into my mind by a hateful God, so PLEASE ENJOY THAT IMAGE, TOO, FRIENDS. I could draw it for you, and I bet the picture wouldn't get me banned since Tomoya and Nagisa probably copulate fully clothed on opposite sides of a building.

3. WE LIVE IN THE MIDDLE AGES NOW, I GUESS. How else are we going to explain the incredibly shitacular portrayal of medical science in this show? Fucking Kotomi can prove the existence of shitty CGI universes (even though she can't do basic things like HEAR WHEN PEOPLE YELL AT HER), but medicine cannot identify the magic disease which afflicts Nagisa and later on her daughter? THEN HOW THE FUCK DID THEY EVEN KNOW THAT IT WAS THE SAME DISEASE THE SECOND TIME? I swear to God the doctor looks at the widefaced child, shudders in terror, realizes everybody in the building is a fucking mutant, says "I can't cure shit" and walks away as fast as he can. Probably gets himself to a better anime, like, I don't know, Garzey's Wing or something. Can I just talk about Garzey's Wing instead? No? FINE.

4. A TIME SKIP HAPPENS. Probably several. No explanation until well after the fact, too. One minute SHE DEAD BITCH the next minute OH THE BABY FIVE YEARS OLD NOW! Cuz, you know, FUCK YOU AND YOUR NEED TO KNOW SHIT. Turns out our shitacular protagonist is every bit as fucking awful a father as he was a husband! Oh, and by the way

5. OKAZAKI IS AN AWFUL HUMAN BEING. I mean let's look, shall we? Somehow knocks up a girl, and, when asked how he felt about it? "Oh I don't actually feel anything." Yeah you know who else doesn't feel anything about that kind of thing? Sociopaths. I mean for FUCKING OUT LOUD GENDO FUCKING IKARI MANAGED TO BE EXCITED ABOUT HAVING A BABY AND OKAZAKI CAN'T. THINK ABOUT THAT. And then, AND THEN, this rat bastard doesn't even LOOK AT HIS SPAWN'S FACE FOR FIVE FUCKING YEARS. Like holy shit. FIVE YEARS. He doesn't even know the kid's face. That's some Man in the Iron Mask fuckery. And did I mention the dude makes for just an awful father in general? Bends to his child's every whim, leaves her alone constantly, and invites his mistress the braindead starfish fuckwit over to cavort in front of his kid.

6. NOT, OF COURSE, THAT ANY RELATIONSHIPS HOLD MEANING IN THIS HELL. At one point Okazaki runs into Purple Whoeverthefuck, and she's like "OH WE WERE ALL SO WORRIED ABOUT YOU!" BITCH. WHERE WERE YOU. FOR FIVE. YEARS. When my friends are upset, WE TALK. RIGHT THEN. When my friends fuck up, I'm there. I'm talking. That's friendship. Friendship isn't abandoning your alleged friend to wallow in alcohol, misery, and cigarettes while other people raise his child. WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU PEOPLE. No, seriously, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ALL THAT SHIT WITH KOTOMI BACK IN THE FIRST SEASON IF SHE DIDN'T TALK TO OKAZAKI AT ALL IN HIS WEAKEST HOUR? That ain't no rank 10 SLink there, people.

7. HEY DON'T FORGET THE ROBOT. Yeah the robot was Okazaki. And the girl was his kid. GET IT? IT'S DEEP. AND MEANINGFUL. AND TOTALLY RELATED TO THE PLOT. I'm a fucking genius anime writer!

I don't even know what else there is. I reiterate here that all the complaints I had when I dropped it rang true well into the finale. Especially the women crying thing. Holy shit so much of that. But let's finish this on a spiritual note, shall we? Get a little religion in here to just cleanse our souls and lay our barren flesh to rest.

Once upon a time, in the Old Testament, there was this practice called Levirate Marriage. Under it, a man was required by the Law to take the wife of his brother and father children with her, should his brother die without heirs, so that his brother's line would continue legally, if not directly.

One such man called upon to perform this duty was named Onan. Onan's brother bit the big one, and God came to him and ordered him to uphold the Law. Onan was game, and lay with his brother's wife. Toward the end, however, Onan became disgusted that the woman and her children would not be his, and so he ejaculated outside of her.

This act, the act of ejaculating outside of a woman to prevent pregnancy, is known as Onanism.

Clannad After Story is Onanism in anime form. It fucks all the conceptual sisters in law it can before safely orgasming away from them. The ending to this show is something so amazingly infuriating that, were I the God of anime, I, like God, would have killed it for its sin. As it stands I cannot possibly understand how anyone, let alone people genuinely invested in the series' storyline, could like it after the absurd bullshit it pulls at the ending.

Okazaki is a terrible character who could not have possibly been written by someone who knew actual people, but his character DID develop. It was terrible, hamfisted, forced, contrived, and typically over the top character development, the type typically reserved for hentai rejects and women's romance novels, but it was still something. I hated every second of it, but it still was. And the ending throws all of that away in favor of what? Of some cookie cutter soft as moist as ending that lacks any of the alleged punch this series carries.

What were your tears for, oh fans of this forsaken piece of trash? What were your feelings about? How do you possibly not feel robbed by that ending? That ending that invalidated every single one of them. That ending which took everything your horrible, awful, fucking terrible series was supposed to be special for and threw it on the floor, before rolling in its bones like a dog in roadkill? How can anyone possibly defend this awful piece of trash?

DO NOT ANSWER. I don't want to know. It probably uses the same logic which conceived so much of this show, and believe you me I've had MORE than my fill of that insipid filth to last me a lifetime.

In conclusion:

Fuck Okazaki for being an awful protagonist. Fuck Nagisa for being a wet blanket. Fuck KEY for this horrible concept. FUCK Rino Fuji for these hideous character designs. FUCK every single person involved in this project. FUCK watchbets, which have proven to be an utterly pointless waste of time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm probably going to go drink myself to death in the hopes that in Hell I won't remember this insidious colossus of idiocy that was foisted upon me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 5:

Yep, the series that you barely remember existing is back after a god damned three week break and this episode just had to go and decide to be as dull as dishwater. This episode sees the relatively quick debut of Makoto and while it is kind of interesting that she was probably the least changed in the first anime, she is still dull, dull and more dull. Maybe eve more dull as her boy crazy tendencies have been toned down.
Also, this series has officially gone of off the manga reservation since Nephrite is supposed to die here.
Oh, also, I am beginning to suspect that Usagi is assembling no so much a team but a harem since, well, she clearly wants to bang her teammates. Indeed, kind got stalkerish in a few scenes.

Sailor Moon Crystal 05

It's Makoto.

And even if the episode is quite different than in Classic, she still manages to show off her strength. Some funny bits at the start of the episode, and Tuxedo Mask already knows that
Usagi is Sailor Moon
as well then.

Wow Corvo, I can't believe you actually finished it. I'm so sorry you had to experience it and I can agree with all of your criticisms. That ending is still probably one of the worst endings I have experienced in all of the anime I have had the misfortune of watching.

I kind of want to watch After Story now. I read it years ago, but I remember it being more bloated and boring than anything else. Everyone seems to have such an extreme reaction to the anime.

CorvoSol

I kind of want to watch After Story now. I read it, but I remember it being more bloated and boring than anything else. Everyone seems to have such an extreme reaction to the anime.

It's bloated and boring. The whole first half of the show has nothing to do with the second half, which is pretty bloated. There's an episode spent largely on goofing off with Fuuko for no reason toward the end which I'd call filler. It's just that it's also incredibly hamfisted with like, everything, and that stuff grates on me.

Well if it makes you feel better Corvo, I now feel really happy that I never finished watching Clannad and never will. Some things are best left ignored and Clannad seems to be one of those things.

Shergal

I can agree with everything in Corvo's post. I guess I didn't get angry at the show, but that's inconsequential to its merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom