• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haikyu!! Episode 23 – The Point that Changes the Momentum

The scenes with them reaching for Aobajosai shirt was one of the best minor inclusions that Im glad made it to the anime. It was such a good thing for the match. Pretty intense match really, especially Yams moment and Tsukki's annoying feint never gets old.

Shounen Hollywood - 10

Now an entire episode is a fucking tv show, with a bunch musical numbers including a Miku clone, a lady that came straight out of Perfect Blue, some old school singer guy, a former SH member, and the current titular band.

It's one of better looking episodes to date, something idol fans would like with all the musical numbers.

I hope we at least get one or two more Shonen Hollywood full group songs thats not the same song we keep hearing.

Nordicus

Monster 9-20

This is some glacial pacing. I see now how they got to 74 episodes. Loads and loads of fat with only superficial connection to main plot. They spend a few episodes on the neonazi subplot, only to make them completely irrelevant to the larger story at the end. Their plan to make Johan the second Hitler was dumb as hell too. -_-

I don't see how they're going to explain the formers exploits without going supernatural so I'm bracing for it already.

I hope Tenma's fiancee will turn to be the final villain. She's hilariously evil.
OJgyqO6.jpg

I'd ask if Eisenbeis had a GAF account, but you can still stay behind the defense that you don't know everything yet. All the elements haven't been set up yet

Shin Strange+ Episode 9 – Influence

Im sad Strange+ will be ending soon, hilarious antagonists and protagonists and the usual Nii-san antics. Nii-san in the alien thing was hilariously pointless.

Link Man

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 7

Not much to say about this episode, except Silent strongly reminded me of Lord Girahim. Feels like the series is in a bit of a rut, but things look to be shaking up in the next episode.

TxdoHawk

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibto 13

Fuck this anime. Fuck the writer, the director, the animators, everyone involved. This is a fucking travesty and I think this may be the most offensive anime I have ever witnessed.

For the final episode almost 50% of it as reused footage from previous episodes. The much anticipated yuri kiss between the protagonists somehow impregnates the non witch character, we cry over our pancakes and it abruptly ends with no payoff. Most of these episodes put me to sleep now I'm just angry pondering how such a travesty was spawned from a human with a brain. Full series impressions later, I can't deal with his right now.

Reading your descriptions these last few episodes makes me want to watch this out of sheer morbid curiosity. Am I broken?

Hugstable

Banned
Impossibru.

So much School Days talk. I've to finally get on it.

Monster 9-20

This is some glacial pacing. I see now how they got to 74 episodes. Loads and loads of fat with only superficial connection to main plot. They spend a few episodes on the neonazi subplot, only to make them completely irrelevant to the larger story at the end. Their plan to make Johan the second Hitler was dumb as hell too. -_-

I don't see how they're going to explain the formers exploits without going supernatural so I'm bracing for it already.

I hope Tenma's fiancee will turn to be the final villain. She's hilariously evil.

lol you still got quite awhile in this show to go. Also don't expect anything supernatural or out of the ordinary, Monster isn't about stuff like that. It may be long and have some parts that drag on for a bit, but Monster is truly one of the greats and gets it's final message across very well. I ended up powering through this anime in like a week and half and found it incredibly interesting. The show is still getting started up for you if you are only at episode 20 and there is still alot ahead to look forward to.

Nafe

Without a doubt.

Dem Ara Ara~ slay me every time.

Yeah, I really like Akeno as well and the way Shizuka Itou says "Ara Ara" as well.

Hearing that she was going to voice Minako/Sailor Venus in Sailor Moon Crystal really has me hoping we'll hear Minako with a sexy "ara ara".

Some really nice scenery shots with characters. The one posted might be my favorite though. Maybe one day I'll actually sign up to Pixiv to see them at full size and the rest of the artists entries.

http://i.imgur.com/Feyl23p.gif

One day this hazing ritual will end. One day.

This right here.

Cardfight!! Vanguard Link Joker Episode 142 (engDUB)

Havent watched it in a month so went back to rewatch the last one I remember. Kamui episodes are always amazing and full of character and passion due to all his friends like Reiji and Eiji (yo).

Mike is actually the villain of AnimeGAF, but don't lie to yourself phoenix. If you continue to make watch bets with him is because somehow you're getting some form of amusement out of these shows, all of these 'woe is me' watch bet complaints from GAF in general are a bit hard to take seriously. When I made a watch bet I specifically told the one who made me the bet that I was hating the show, and he gave me another one. We weren't in it in some form of twisted amusement to see the other person suffer I guess.

Maybe my tolerance for shit anime has gone down since I decided to start watching western shows and play games regularly again.

Before watchbets I had only watched decent/good anime. I found watchbets as the opportunity to experience the awfulness of what anime has to offer and so far I haven't been disappointed. You need to experience the truly terrible to appreciate the good, right?

I don't blame Mike for this and I sort of know what I'm getting myself into. (I don't know anything about these anime except the title before I start watching them) Both Mike and I acknowledged that we would be trading terrible anime with each other. Watchbets are a way to watch anime you would never watch on your own and I don't think I would have even known about Yami or attempted to watch Recently without them.

The goal was to gain enlightenment of what anime is in all forms, good to absolutely dismal. I'd like to think this is the worse anime has to offer and I can fully appreciate the anime I actually like a lot more after experiencing how appalling these anime are. I can only hope I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel and it doesn't get any worse than what I have already seen.

Plus we get see the curious fool who is just as big a masochist as me.
Reading your descriptions these last few episodes makes me want to watch this out of sheer morbid curiosity. Am I broken?

Make no mistake that this anime is awful in every sense of the word. If you do decide to watch it know that I warned you how terrible it is.

What is this from? Not having much luck with google :p

EDIT: My mistake, it's Happiness Charge precure. So sorry for the confusion.

G Gundam - 18

So Domon begins his training, and Chibodee's harem copies some of Domon's data because Chibodee ain't doing so good lately, but of course that gets resolved.

Pretty okay episode.

Nafe

Speaking of "Ara Ara" and I'll get back to posting comments on Aria.

I got distracted from some things like playing Fire Emblem (The seventh one, Burning Blade). I really wanted to play it for years and was finally able to. A great game in my opinion. Random numbers and having one turn go wrong relieving you of a character you maybe wanted to keep are annoying though.

Canas is so awesome,haha. Rebecca as well. Her speed is so high that opponents only had about a 16% chance of hitting her and even if they did, they did zero damage anyway,haha. My Fiora was awesome! Not only did she get to level cap but half her stats capped out as well, with the others, aside from Luck, being really close. She could pretty much just take out a whole army herself,haha.

Now I can go back and actually play my copy of Sacred Stones and I really really want to play Awakening now.

"Nafe - Master Tactician"
I like the sound of that. ;p

Midonin

Heartcatch Precure
It's actually Happiness Charge, the current season.

Sabagebu 10

Momoka used to be such a sweet kid.

Ikkitousen Shugaku Epic Battle

Only two major fights, the rest of it was mostly hijinks. After all the conspiracies and whatnot going on in the main TV series, something where the only fights were good-natured is a welcome change of pace. The "girls' talk" segment with Seito was the best, of course.

So, now that I've finished the two shows on my backlog in their entirety, I've got three sort-of related things up next. One is a Junichi Sato magical girl show, another draws inspiration from the same works as World Masterpiece Theater, but would never be featured on it. Another looks like it could be on WMT, but never was. Which shows are these? The first one begins later today.

cajunator

Banned

Indeed not! Curiosity is healthy!

Speaking of "Ara Ara" and I'll get back to posting comments on Aria.

I got distracted from some things like playing Fire Emblem (The seventh one, Burning Blade). I really wanted to play it for years and was finally able to. A great game in my opinion. Random numbers and having one turn go wrong relieving you of a character you maybe wanted to keep are annoying though.

Canas is so awesome,haha. Rebecca as well. Her speed is so high that opponents only had about a 16% chance of hitting her and even if they did, they did zero damage anyway,haha. My Fiora was awesome! Not only did she get to level cap but half her stats capped out as well, with the others, aside from Luck, being really close. She could pretty much just take out a whole army herself,haha.

Now I can go back and actually play my copy of Sacred Stones and I really really want to play Awakening now.

"Nafe - Master Tactician"
I like the sound of that. ;p

I dont understand what the big deal is about Tharja.
Like 90% of figuregaf bought this figurine for some reason.

Hugstable

Banned
Before watchbets I had only watched decent/good anime. I found watchbets as the opportunity to experience the awfulness of what anime has to offer and so far I haven't been disappointed. You need to experience the truly terrible to appreciate the good, right?

I don't blame Mike for this and I sort of know what I'm getting myself into. (I don't know anything about these anime except the title before I start watching them) Both Mike and I acknowledged that we would be trading terrible anime with each other. Watchbets are a way to watch anime you would never watch on your own and I don't think I would have even known about Yami or attempted to watch Recently without them.

The goal was to gain enlightenment of what anime is in all forms, good to absolutely dismal. I'd like to think this is the worse anime has to offer and I can fully appreciate the anime I actually like a lot more after experiencing how appalling these anime are. I can only hope I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel and it doesn't get any worse than what I have already seen.

Plus we get see the curious fool who is just as big a masochist as me.

Make no mistake that this anime is awful in every sense of the word. If you do decide to watch it know that I warned you how terrible it is.

The Watch Bets are so bad his avatar has turned non anime. Also Phoenix I made some more pancakes for you

g0QE0E3.jpg

You know you want them.

Did you play Awakening? Her character was... something else.

Yandere lol. Cordelia and Olivia still the best from that game. I had my MC with Cordelia first game haha.

Anne of Green Gables is pretty excellent work, directed by Isao Takahata. There is also Heidi, Girl of the Alps. I remember watching it, but have no strong memory of it, but it is also supposed to be good.

You could try with the three TV series made by Takahata, considered the masterpieces of the whole classic literature adaptation trend: Heidi, Marco and Anne. Heidi is not Nippon Animation, but it's basically the same, like with Nausicaa being "not Ghibli".
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. I'll check 'em out.

Clov

I have not.

You should, it's a really fun game! I probably spent over half of it just shipping the characters, though.

Tharja is great. Definitely my favorite character in the game. I wanted to get that figure too, but it's so expensive... maybe I'll find it cheaper on Mandarake at some point. I've gotten some pretty good deals from there before. I think I got the Nendoroids of Konata and Kagami cosplaying as Saber and Rin from there for around 4000 yen or so? Can't quite remember, but I was pretty happy with it.

cajunator

Banned
You should, it's a really fun game! I probably spent over half of it just shipping the characters, though.

Tharja is great. Definitely my favorite character in the game. I wanted to get that figure too, but it's so expensive... maybe I'll find it cheaper on Mandarake at some point. I've gotten some pretty good deals from there before. I think I got the Nendoroids of Konata and Kagami cosplaying as Saber and Rin from there for around 4000 yen or so? Can't quite remember, but I was pretty happy with it.

that figure is posed weird. I dont like it.

Clov

that figure is posed weird. I dont like it.

Yeah, I can understand that. It probably would have been better if she were posed like she is in her official artwork.

Hey, there's actual benefits to doing it! When you pair characters together,
their children come from the future to help you. They're really good units, too!
It's not just me being silly, it's a gameplay mechanic!

mankoto

PuriPara 8
An episode without the headmistress devouring entire Pizza's on her own doesn't feel right. Still good though with a good resolution.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I can understand that. It probably would have been better if she were posed like she is in her official artwork.

Hey, there's actual benefits to doing it! When you pair characters together,
their children come from the future to help you. They're really good units, too!
It's not just me being silly, it's a gameplay mechanic!

I do like her artwork a lot.

Defuser

Sabagebu! ep10
Child Momoka is such mega opposite from her current self. And dat Aliens vs Predator references. Momoka finally got one upped by Kayo.

duckroll

MASAHIRO ANDO IS DIRECTING A NEW ANIME SERIES FOR 2016! Yura just spilled the beans on the Under the Dog livestream when he said they have all of 2015 to work on the 1-2 episodes they funded.

Midonin

Akame ga Kill 10

That's a lot of cleavage. The battle between the two armored Arms users felt like a Rider battle waiting to happen, for as long as it lasted. At the very least, having a group roughly equal to Night Raid in numbers and abilities should make things interesting for a little while. Whenever Akame and Kurome meet each other, something big is probably going to happen.

mankoto

56661.png

Sometimes you just gotta bring out all 5 eyelashes.

This time we had a variety show and through as twist of fate, Lala is partnered with Sophie. I don't care what anybody says, the silhouette portion was fixed. There is no reason for every answer to be pickled plum related, that's outrageous.

Defuser

Space Dandy S2 ep 10
Finally after all these wierd ass episodes we finally got a normal episode with the typical romcom tropes and cliches.

Looks like Sawashiro Miyuki would make a guest appearance VA for next week.

JCG

MASAHIRO ANDO IS DIRECTING A NEW ANIME SERIES FOR 2016! Yura just spilled the beans on the Under the Dog livestream when he said they have all of 2015 to work on the 1-2 episodes they funded.

That's a pleasant surprise. I'm looking forward to finding out whatever that is. Then again, it's not too unexpected, unless someone thought they were going to work on the Under the Dog project and nothing else for a full two years.

haha I've actually been planning to give someone Code Geass as a watchbet soon. I saw Code Geass on some "list" alongside stuff like Yami to and School Days and now I'm a bit confused about it. I know the writing was kinda crappy, but I really enjoyed especially the first season, and the second season was fun to watch the mother of all train wrecks! Also CG has some kind of fascination with Pizza Hut haha.

Different people are likely to come out thinking the show is better or worse than that. The other entries on that list aren't so divisive. I'm on the positive side, because there's interesting stuff on a thematic level that makes sense in retrospect. The writing has pros and cons, but I don't think enjoying the intended craziness is a negative (it also ends much better than Gundam AGE, SEED Destiny or Guilty Crown, among others, thus the term you've used loses some meaning). The people making it weren't all that serious and had fun, despite mid-season issues, so they found it amusing to do more with Pizza Hut than what the sponsor initially asked.

Akame Ga Kill - 10

I enjoyed this one alot. Mainly because of plot and focus being on Jaegers. Esdeath is pretty interesting, I thought I was going to hate her.
I had hoped that Tatsumi would be with the Jaegers a long time (like 5~episodes or something), so his mind would be 'erased' and having doubts about which group to continue fighting for. Sort of like Anakin > Darth Vader

Also Bols best girl
O4HhtP7.jpg

phaze

OJgyqO6.jpg

I'd ask if Eisenbeis had a GAF account, but you can still stay behind the defense that you don't know everything yet. All the elements haven't been set up yet

The kotaku guy ? But I haven't even managed to get past the third episode of SAO !

lol you still got quite awhile in this show to go. Also don't expect anything supernatural or out of the ordinary, Monster isn't about stuff like that. It may be long and have some parts that drag on for a bit, but Monster is truly one of the greats and gets it's final message across very well. I ended up powering through this anime in like a week and half and found it incredibly interesting. The show is still getting started up for you if you are only at episode 20 and there is still alot ahead to look forward to.

Glad to hear that. I enjoyed the show quite a bit in the first 8 episodes so I hope it will get back on track soon.

Please Twins! 01

Well, it starts out nice enough and I think I like the OP better than the Please Teacher one.

And then suddenly out of nowhere one of the characters gets felt up:

She manages to escape and meets the MC that says this:

What's with this series and MCs saying horrible things? :p

Other than that there's a lot of characters from Please Teacher! that make an appearance and there's too many blood-related people.

Oh, and there's a character that says nyu a lot. Just like uh... Nyu in Elfen Lied.

Fate/Zero Episodes 1-3

Pretty good production value. Story seems interesting. Kind of...serious though. Not too much comic relief, if any. Coming from Gurren Lagann I guess that's a good thing. Out of the shows I've seen so far I think FMA Brotherhood and Samurai Champloo have struck the perfect balance of serious and comic relief. Just a thought.

Yeah should've warned you, this show takes itself extremely seriously, Rider and Waver are the comic relief of the show but they're not gonna do silly anime faces or scream reactions. In fact I don't recall seeing a single 'anime face change' comedy thing throughout the whole show.

It's definitely a show about the battle of ideologies, and the action and characters are great, but hopefully the fact it's serious doesn't turn you off. Cowboy Bebop for example is less silly than Samurai Champloo but also has comedic aspects and episodes to it. FZ can get pretty dark. Once you get through this show you'll most likely need another comedy filled show.

One Piece 660

Spend almost the entire episode on a flashback I don't really care for after seeing it the first time.

Like I know they're catching up to the manga, but its agonizing having to watch how slow this is.

mankoto

Akame Ga Kill 8
This death has always bothered me because it felt so cheap. I understand that
Tatsumi had to inherite the Imperial Art because the armor is an actual plot device.
But damn, it had to be done, but just how it was done is ew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom