• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Here's the thing about Wing:

-Best fucking mecha designs in the entire franchise. Like seriously. Holy God yes. Wing Zero? Heavy Arms? Tallgeese? Epyon? God Tier. Shush, Ezalc. Shush.
-Some really memorable characters like Treize, Hiro and Zechs.

But at the same time it has a few really bad characters, and the plot is essentially a recap of the entire Universal Century from MSG to CCA.

Wing is by no means a bad show. Not when shit like AGE exists.

You forgot Death Scythe...

My main problem with Wing after rewatching it last winter was the politics, they really fall short.

Gintama is like 250+ episodes while FMA:B is 64...

Wait, really?

Gintama has 265 if my count is right and brotherhood has 64.

welp...

CiqSmUD.png

I didn't even realize there was an apostrophe on the one at #5.

I was deciding between Gintama and FMA, and might just go with Gintama because its shorter.

lol wut

like Firehawk said Gintama is like 200+ episodes, FMA is only 60+ if you only watch Brotherhood. Having said that I love them both a lot and will always insist that Gintama is worth the investment. One of the better anime comedies and actually has some really sweet action arcs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Pretty different series anyway.

Gintama is a gag show except for the occasional serious bits and FMA is a conitnuous storyline with not much deviating it from the original plot.

Theonik

Roberta's Blood Trail is mildly more interesting than anything in Second Barrage. Might as well tack it on if you haven't already watched it.
I might try these out if I run out of anime again. Also the Omake I guess.

But isn't that final arc like 300 episodes long?
'Father has eaten god, we can't do nothing to stop him, we must therefore try to tire him'

fertygo

I loved the scenes thematically and Shaft did some neat visual things with the basketball motif but it's still Shaft attempting to animate humans playing basketball and the results are exactly what you'd expect from them.

Luls, dat poster in the end is sick tho.

CorvoSol

You forgot Death Scythe...

My main problem with Wing after rewatching it last winter was the politics, they really fall short.

The problem with the politics in Wing is that they're UC Politics instead of trying to be their own real thing.

FIVE STAR STORIES

PZElXus.png

I could never forget that night Narag got me to watch the most BL mecha anime I have ever seen.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Black Lagoon + Second Barrage

A pretty average series overall. Some cool, but completely nonsense action, parts of it were kinda funny.
I think I enjoyed a large portion of it, it was the fun kind of stupid. Until the second barrage happened and tried to make things serious.
The last long arc they did in Japan was too stupid for words. Such a terrible idea. Had they not tried to pull these dumb episodes, I might be able to recommend this in the future as a decent dumb action show now I am unsure I'd do that though. (gah the twins episode too so bad)
Revy's midriff though.

huh, interesting

Nozaki-kun 10

After a lackluster episode 9, the series gets back in form in episode 10 and delivers what is easily one of the most consistently hilarious episodes in the series. The movie, Waka's misunderstandings, the singing (and reaction), The Prince being more honest about her feelings, Nozaki's acting, Sakura's reaction to his costume, and finally Mikorin in everything he did (especially the last bit when he was like a scared animal). All brilliant. I straight up laughed. What a great episode. I stopped reading the manga since the anime was starting, but will continue once the anime ends.

Also the sword fighting was surprisingly well done, there goes the budget.

CorvoSol

Five Star Stories

So here's what I really think of it: This was a really good pilot episode to a series that never happened. A lot of what went down in the ending should've at least had a second hour to give it more time to really breath. There were a lot of characters who appeared important but did not pan out, presumably because they were meant to be important much further down the road. The ending to the movie even sets up a series, with its talk of an oncoming war. There's also a distinct lack of the fifth star.

In any case, there wasn't a whole lot of giant robots going on in this OVA, but what there was sure was gorgeous to behold! The animation was all pretty darn good, even if I wasn't at all fond of the character proportions. I was going to say designs there, but honestly the majority of the designs were stupid fun late 80s scifi anime designs and I'll eat that for breakfast.

There was a LOT of androgyny going on, and some of it was built around a clever feint in the plot that, again, would've been better if it had had more time to really come into play. There's an entire subplot about the Emperor and his lover that could be a lot better if only it had sufficient time. There was also a rather notable romantic chemistry between the protagonist, Sopp, and his buddy, Viewlard. I was pleased to find that the show was willing to tease itself for that, and for Sopp's feminine appearance, because it cut that tension to its knees in an enjoyable way. The need to sort of jeer at the thing for the above mentioned is removed when the OVA itself is cracking the jokes. It's a kind of self-deprecating move I wish more anime was self-assured enough to do, honestly.

Would I recommend Five Star Stories? I'm not sure. Not as a mecha anime. It is one, yes, and true to the genre the giant robot does play a sort of key role in being the vehicle through which the protagonist's character and story are told to the audience, yes. It's just that there is only one fight, right at the end. Otherwise mecha are only a driving plot point, rather than an actual function of the show. But if you have an hour to kill, and you like late 80s scifi anime, then I think it'd be worth checking out. It wasn't amazing, but I consider it a fun ride, given the cost of time.

Branduil

Five Star Stories

So here's what I really think of it: This was a really good pilot episode to a series that never happened.

Well that's probably because it's based on a 12(26 for the English versions) volume manga with ludicrous amounts of appendix material.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 35

Okay, was it just me or were the subtitles hideously desynced? like it took a couple of seconds for some of them to appear on screen and shit like that. Anyway, this is the thrilling conclusion to what amounts to a three part mini-arc that heralds the end of the Zoicite arc, and damnation if these arc shift are not the best of Sailor Moon. I know the first series reveled its zany absurdity but this is one of those shows that could bring the proper amount of dramatic gravitas when the tonality called for it. At any rate, the curtain of exposition is finally delivered and the truth behind everything is revealed, at least what needs to be revealed for this season. Oh special mention need to be placed on Rei for basically redeeming her character after being such a mega bitch for most of the season. Another tip top episode in a series of them, this arc comes with the highest of recommendations. I do wish it was going to last but we have to go back to formula for a measure of time.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 35

Okay, was it just me or were the subtitles hideously desynced? like it took a couple of seconds for some of them to appear on screen and shit like that. Anyway, this is the thrilling conclusion to what amounts to a three part mini-arc that heralds the end of the Zoicite arc, and damnation if these arc shift are not the best of Sailor Moon. I know the first series reveled its zany absurdity but this is one of those shows that could bring the proper amount of dramatic gravitas when the tonality called for it. At any rate, the curtain of exposition is finally delivered and the truth behind everything is revealed, at least what needs to be revealed for this season. Oh special mention need to be placed on Rei for basically redeeming her character after being such a mega bitch for most of the season. Another tip top episode in a series of them, this arc comes with the highest of recommendations. I do wish it was going to last but we have to go back to formula for a measure of time.

Have you watched R?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 36

Yes indeed we are back to the Monster of The Week business and we begin the Kunzite arc and this time the rationale is while the Dark Kingdom has gained a solider in Endiymion it has lost the Silver Crystal to Sailor Moon and needs to find her.....by launching random ass schemes worthy of Jadite. I bet Quen Beryl regrets not listening to him now. Anyway, while it is good that Usagi is been affected by these recent events, mopey Usagi is not particularly compelling to watch. Anyway, this episode was all about setting up the new arc dynamics, it is worth a watch.

-Best fucking mecha designs in the entire franchise. Like seriously. Holy God yes. Wing Zero? Heavy Arms? Tallgeese? Epyon? God Tier. Shush, Ezalc. Shush.

But at the same time it has a few really bad characters, and the plot is essentially a recap of the entire Universal Century from MSG to CCA.

There is another person in the world who loved Heavy Arms Gundam like me.

I feel like my entire existence has been justified.

I have plenty of nostalgia for Wing's designs but I can't agree with this. Maybe if you limit it to AC. Edit: And mix in the Endless Waltz designs.

phaze

Akame ga Kill 9-10

Yes let's try to convince a genocidal general to desert her side and fight for the good guys on your first day together. I picked this up again to see if it got better but the show is even dumber than in the first two episodes. They're even ruining my medieval fantasy with flamethrowers and mecha'esque suits. Not my cup off tea at all.

Sabagebu 10

Another dull episode, I would drop the show but at this point I'll bear with it till the end.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun 10

I wanted the cast getting together and I got it. Good episode even if Seo wasn't at the top of her game.

School Days 01

Time to finally get on this. I think I more or less know what I'm in for but we shall see.

That foreshadowing at the beginning.
KuGsj.gif
Episode was rather dull and the main guy was insufferable but he still got done more in one episode than Raku in twenty. I foresee a great future for him !

Jex

How I see this matter is that if you're watching a Gundam show for pleasure you just kind of have to expect that the writing will be bad, especially if Tomino was involved. The most you can hope for is that the mehca will look cool, that the animation is decent and that there are a few genuinely likeable charatcers. You can't really ask for more then that from even some of the 'best' shows in the franchise.

cajunator

Banned
School Days 01

Time to finally get on this. I think I more or less know what I'm in for but we shall see.

That foreshadowing at the beginning.
KuGsj.gif
Episode was rather dull and the main guy was insufferable but he still got done more in one episode than Raku in twenty. I foresee a great future for him !

Like sand through the hourglass so these are the School Days of our lives.

The cat who cried wolf too many times.

Also, Happy Birthday Deputy Dangle!

Happy birthday DD!

DraColle Episode 23
BxAWMH2IIAA3yPh.png

Im enjoying these shows too much hilarious episode because of all the returning characters. Green Pepper Gang folks and then Meatmania's changing of eating choices, lol.

the answer to the quiz, lol, poor Rei!

How I see this matter is that if you're watching a Gundam show for pleasure you just kind of have to expect that the writing will be bad, especially if Tomino was involved. The most you can hope for is that the mehca will look cool, that the animation is decent and that there are a few genuinely likeable charatcers. You can't really ask for more then that from even some of the 'best' shows in the franchise.

It was such a disappointment to me that AGE couldn't even hit that minimum baseline :/.

Akame Ga Kill 10

Surprised how quick Tatsumi was able to get back to night raid, though of course the series can't end right away otherwise the scientist dude would just report the base to the other Jeagers instead of doing a solo attack like the next episode teases. Guess Wave is gonna be mind wrecked between now and the next we see him :\

Aldnoa NOPE OUT

Fuck this show, it takes a lot for me to want to stop watching a show and they've finally hit that point. This is just the stupid kind of stupid that feels like it's completely wasting my time. Captain Erf was bad because it was mostly boring, Aldnoah Zero is bad because it's just bad. This is a direct to dvd/dumpster movie in the form of an anime with some kind of credentials behind it.

Hugstable

Banned
Happy Birthday Deputy Dangle!

Gonna be catching up on the anime I missed yesterday (Nozaki-kun and Sabagebu) and keep watching some Lucky Star today. Love these little reference littered throughout the anime haha. Hell I can't believe they even had a Code Geass reference in episode 13. Did not expect that one at all o_O https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbrZQB4RxOE Sounds like he does some "SCHAAAWING" sound effect XD

Aldnoa NOPE OUT

Fuck this show, it takes a lot for me to want to stop watching a show and they've finally hit that point. This is just the stupid kind of stupid that feels like it's completely wasting my time. Captain Erf was bad because it was mostly boring, Aldnoah Zero is bad because it's just bad. This is a direct to dvd/dumpster movie in the form of an anime with some kind of credentials behind it.

Guess that saves me from needing to watch past the first episode then. Wasn't really enamored with it but thought I might give it a further chance.

fertygo

I'll never understand why Macross Plus at the very opposite spectrum compared to Stardust Memory about the perception of the story and writing quality.

Stardust Memory deemed as really bad, had offensive character, etc and Macross Plus are hailed as masterpiece and had "Mature" story, both about as offensive to me from what I saw.

Stardust Memory had Infuriating character? Macross Plus had Isamu Dyson and Guld Goa Bowman that despite supposedly filled the adult character role both had mentality of 8 year old, seriously what so mature about this show story when both character act like Tom and Jerry for majority of show? come to think about it they made peace like Tom and Jerry too.

And the show also have one of the most offensive plot point that I seen in fiction, I'm not femmeworth but I can't believe Keiko Nobumoto writing this :(
here's the plot point:
Later its revealed Guld's tantrum for the whole show just selective amnesia after tore an young girl cloth, I repeat. SELECTIVE AMNESIA after tore an young girl cloth
Even not talking about how classless it is, its so frigging absurd to pass as coherent plot device.

Character Development is non-existent too, at least Stardust Memory not trying to portray their unlikeable character as hero.

Clov

I'm honestly not a fan of Macross Plus either. The main characters were both assholes.

Those concert scenes were pretty amazing though, so I'll give it that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom