• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Somehow there are three non-otome VN anime airing next season (Grisaia, Daito, Waremete), four if you count FSN even though it's a remake/alternate route. Don't think that's ever happened before.

Summer 2004 had Operation Sanctuary, Demonbane and Wind: A Breath Of Heart. Maybe you can count four if you include the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien OVA, but I personally wouldn't.

https://twitter.com/Fate_SN_Anime/status/508995279815602176

Someone should inform whoever's responsible for the FSN English tweets that their finger slipped one letter to the left when writing this one.

Saver is my favorite FSN character. :p

----------------------------------------------

Digimon Adventure: Our War Game

xPgJPtk.jpg

Inevitably, this movie tends to be compared to Summer Wars. Our War Game could be considering Summer Wars' spiritual predecessor. Plots are similar, yes, but ultimately, each movie has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Our War Game is a fun addition between Adventure and Adventure 02. We get to see a little bit of result in the character development, and see the characters aged up a little. Heck, even a continuity nod or two towards the future.

I would strongly recommend watching this for anybody who's interested in the Digimon franchise.

CorvoSol

Holy shit I just edited that post 12 times or something. Nothing makes me more :Corvo than Stardust Memories.

Hahaha. Rereading your post I admit I really didn't like Stardust Memory's cast. To be honest I don't even like any of the mech designs in that show. GundamGAF occasionally debates whether Quess or Nina is the worst, too. Currently I'm in camp Nina because at least Quess gets some retribution. The other hand is that part of me dislikes CCA way more than Stardust Memory. Stardust Memory is easily skipped and forgotten, whereas CCA is this big old crown jewel of the series and yet full of all manner of bad things.

No offence to Corvo, of course. His posting is generally informative and well considered rather than simply rage filled these days.

In defense of my last rage post, it was something people requested. Normally I reserve my outbursts to Twitter nowadays. But folks wanted that and so they got that.

G-Reco has solved the problem you've never wondered about:

AT LAST MY QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED.

Sailor Moon 36

Bahhhhhhh back to more possessed humans and healing escalation? I also like that as a villain Tuxedo Mask does more during a fight then when he was a good guy

Jex

Hahaha. Rereading your post I admit I really didn't like Stardust Memory's cast. To be honest I don't even like any of the mech designs in that show. GundamGAF occasionally debates whether Quess or Nina is the worst, too. Currently I'm in camp Nina because at least Quess gets some retribution. The other hand is that part of me dislikes CCA way more than Stardust Memory. Stardust Memory is easily skipped and forgotten, whereas CCA is this big old crown jewel of the series and yet full of all manner of bad things.

You're right in that CCA is more offensive for being a huge, important story in UC and in all of Gundam. Still, there are people describe Stardust Memory as their favourite Gundam related work, which is why I opted to check it out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The wikia says Tatsumi is 5'5 while Esdeath is 5'7. So yeah, anime not portraying that very well.

Also, I'm pretty sure Wave should be able to recognize the voice of someone he was literally having a conversation with 5 minutes prior.

Dynedom

Still, there are people describe Stardust Memory as their favourite Gundam related work, which is why I opted to check it out.

I find this hard/tragic to believe.

I can imagine people have divisive opinions about Zeta (I like it but I haven't watched it in like 10 years) but Stardust? =\

Once you put on a mask you immediately become impossible to recognize.
Comic book rules.

Tatsumi just has his Bale voice on.

Watamote 2

I-is that Onodera's VO I hear? Nice. Dat ending. So I guess that friendship is over. Lol.

Not really as strong or had many gags as the first episode. I can deal with that though. Also "cute" MC is terrifying. So scary.

Bleh, every opportunity Watamote had to be a good show it instead said "nope, Tomoko is still a terrible character"

fertygo

Okay, it's pretty easy to explain this, I think.

People often call Macross Plus Top Gun in space, which isn't really accurate in any sense of the word but it's interesting to think about. Top Gun has taught audiences that cool hot shot pilots are basically dicks, but loveable dicks. Sure, Isamu and Guld are kind of dicks to each other but most of the time their dickish nature is not the main focus of the plot. There's too much other stuff going around.
No, for about 3 and half episode, the focus it is their conflict.. our protagonist got sent to hospital not because alien/enemy attack its because their dicking contest, you know what maybe a lot of my disappointment came from "Masterpiece" and "MATURE" hype from people that talking about it, if I know its closer to Tom Cruise's Cheesy movie, I could've a lot more forgiving.. because I got hyped with hearing mecha show that had adult character dealing with their grown-ass problem, but turn out they act worse than those 987650 middle-schooler protag out there, 'course I'm disappointed.
By the time we get to the stuff in your spoiler text is basically the end of the show and it doesn't really matter anymore because PLOT is happening.

No sir, you not gonna handwaving this you just not.. that shit build up as the answer of all the conflict, even more important than the endgame that just there, the answer that should justify why Guld being the biggest pain in the ass white moral knight that you gonna see in anime, and you left with THAT!?
Shit's inexcuseable and vile, with that he should classified in same class as Nina Purpleton.
On a fundamental storytelling Macross Plus has a beginning, middle and end and the ending actually resolves things in a manner that's both spectacular and satisfying for all parties. The pacing is tight, at a lean 4 episodes of content. It features amazing visual sequences accompanied by mesmerising music. It creates a brand new, familiarity world of wonder that you'd like to visit. It's central theme is inspirational, a message about chasing your dreams and about LOVE. Our characters may be dicks but there's plenty of time where they're actually semi-decent human being. I wouldn't call them well written but their motivations (as far as we know) all make sense and we can understand them. Heck, occasionally they have a shot at being heroic.

I'm not gonna touching the presentation quality, which I agree fantastic as hell.. but like I said the writing is the junk, you gonna burn the thing if read it as book form.. LOVE my ass these dude don't know about it.

Myung welcoming Isamu in ending scene is awkward as hell, am I supposed rooting this shit?
May as well condoning Ray Rice too.

Jex

fertygo: We're just going to have to adree to disagree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, I could write like a whole essay about how women are treated in Gundam with explicit reference to Unicorn but I shouldn't because I think it would make me too mad. Ugh, how do people let this shit slide?

Jarmel

Banned
How I see this matter is that if you're watching a Gundam show for pleasure you just kind of have to expect that the writing will be bad, especially if Tomino was involved. The most you can hope for is that the mehca will look cool, that the animation is decent and that there are a few genuinely likeable charatcers. You can't really ask for more then that from even some of the 'best' shows in the franchise.

At least I'm getting good Yoshida animation this season.

I had unsatisfied thirst for sakuga that never came in this show, all space fight in the show are fucking garbo because the bloated design that make the animator confused how to animate it in nice way. Its way below BONES's standard.

I think the lack of sakuga stems from two areas. The first being that they really didn't know how to do the space fights in an interesting manner. I don't know if it's due to the lack of a solid reference point or whatever. The second is that they put a semi-regular robot in a flat out super robot show. The Planetary Gears robots are supers yet the Earth Engine stuff is stuck in this ghetto of being fantastical but not at the same time. Also the lack of weapons is really disappointing.

G-Reco has solved the problem you've never wondered about:

My question now is where is the fridge?

Branduil

Saver is my favorite FSN character. :p

----------------------------------------------

Digimon Adventure: Our War Game

Inevitably, this movie tends to be compared to Summer Wars. Our War Game could be considering Summer Wars' spiritual predecessor. Plots are similar, yes, but ultimately, each movie has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Our War Game is a fun addition between Adventure and Adventure 02. We get to see a little bit of result in the character development, and see the characters aged up a little. Heck, even a continuity nod or two towards the future.

I would strongly recommend watching this for anybody who's interested in the Digimon franchise.

One of the most interesting parts of OWG, IMO, is how certain elements of the plot can only make sense within the very narrow time frame the movie is set in. Any earlier and obviously you couldn't have the world wide web aspect, but also any later and the "small town with no internet access" part would also be pretty unbelievable.

fertygo

I think the lack of sakuga stems from two areas. The first being that they really didn't know how to do the space fights in an interesting manner. I don't know if it's due to the lack of a solid reference point or whatever. The second is that they put a semi-regular robot in a flat out super robot show. The Planetary Gears robots are supers yet the Earth Engine stuff is stuck in this ghetto of being fantastical but not at the same time. Also the lack of weapons is really disappointing.

Yeah I thought Earth Engine robo gonna resembling Heavy Arms with how big ass they are turn out they just use fist and minor stuff, meh..

fertygo: We're just going to have to adree to disagree.

That's loser talk.

Man, I could write like a whole essay about how women are treated in Gundam with explicit reference to Unicorn but I shouldn't because I think it would make me too mad. Ugh, how do people let this shit slide?

I'm interested, especially since I don't think women are treated all that bad in modern gundam. Yea, they are stuffed in the fridge a bit too much but compared to most shounen stuff they are less sexualised and more driven people who accomplish things. The princess trope is overused but Japan lol. I guess it gives them an excuse to have a woman in authority, although the captain in SEED was a woman which was nice, but then she had the bouncing tits every time the ship shook, so I guess you can't win them all.

SAO 14

Both Kirito and Asuna gets
killed by the enemy that was among them the whole time, but then Kirito manages to overcome death and beat the game
. Asuna is also considered as
winning the game
for some reason and they get the explanation for the everything. castle in the sky.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah I thought Earth Engine robo gonna resembling Heavy Arms with how big ass they are turn out they just use fist and minor stuff, meh..

I remember the first key visual had the Earth Engine with a big ass rifle and yet nothing. The closest thing was that beam rifle a couple of episodes back but that's really it. For a high production BONES show, it's been super underwhelming from an action standpoint.

Midonin

M3 21

Minashi, you're being reckless here.

Hanayamata 10

Everything comes full circle. There's a good amount of drama in almost missing the yosakoi festival, Hannah's entire family situation and everything else that occurred, but at the end of the day, everything ends on a happy note. Having Machi on the team really completes them as a unit. This show is wonderful, I'm going to miss it when the season ends.

Blue Spring Ride 10

Very emotional episode. Even if Futaba and Yuuri know they're rivals for the same guy, I'm glad to see that friendship wins out in the end. Great performance from both of them.

TUSR

Banned
SAO 14

killed by the enemy that was among them the whole time, but then Kirito manages to overcome death and beat the game
winning the game
for some reason and they get the explanation for the everything. castle in the sky.

Nothing can prepare you for the second arc. Not even 'Recently My Sister Is Unusual'

or i have that backwards

CorvoSol

You're right in that CCA is more offensive for being a huge, important story in UC and in all of Gundam. Still, there are people describe Stardust Memory as their favourite Gundam related work, which is why I opted to check it out.

Someday a child will say AGE was his favorite and I will put a bullet through my head. Bad enough I have met people who defend AGE.

I'd actually be interested in reading it. Megalosoro has said on several occasions he thinks Tomino isn't anti-women, only that Tomino does a terrible job explaining how the bad things that happen to women are men's fault in his shows. I think there's a consistency with old Super Robot anime, there, but at the same time things like Victory Gundam's sheer dedication to finding new ways to kill women makes one wonder. I think the idea is sound in the form of the Lalah-type characters in the series, though. That post I made about Aila in GBF more or less embodies my thoughts on that class of character. Then again, I think there is a definite appeal to male fantasies in the form of a beautiful, dangerous young woman being used by the enemies for nefarious purposes and toward tragic ends. You see that all the time in James Bond films. On the other hand, since Gundam is meant to, or was meant to, whichever, appeal to young men, I can't directly fault it for doing that.

So actually I think a conversation on the portrayal of women in Gundam and perhaps in giant robot stories in general is one I'd love to have. The obvious conclusion, as always, is that there could definitely stand to be better female roles throughout, but discussing that conclusion more thoroughly and from varied angles could be very enjoyable, I'd think.

SAO 15

Some creepy guy is gonna marry Asuna then.

Kirito tries his sword skills in the real world and while he has become better it's still no match for somebody who's had proper training. And we find out that his little sister is actually
his cousin
. Alright, I think I know where this is heading... Yup, as expected.

TUSR

Banned
SAO 15

Some creepy guy is gonna marry Asuna then.

Kirito tries his sword skills in the real world and while he has become better it's still no match for somebody who's had proper training. And we find out that his little sister is actually
his cousin
. Alright, I think I know where this is heading... Yup, as expected.

Yes, yes we do.

Jex

I'd actually be interested in reading it. Megalosoro has said on several occasions he thinks Tomino isn't anti-women, only that Tomino does a terrible job explaining how the bad things that happen to women are men's fault in his shows. I think there's a consistency with old Super Robot anime, there, but at the same time things like Victory Gundam's sheer dedication to finding new ways to kill women makes one wonder. I think the idea is sound in the form of the Lalah-type characters in the series, though. That post I made about Aila in GBF more or less embodies my thoughts on that class of character. Then again, I think there is a definite appeal to male fantasies in the form of a beautiful, dangerous young woman being used by the enemies for nefarious purposes and toward tragic ends. You see that all the time in James Bond films. On the other hand, since Gundam is meant to, or was meant to, whichever, appeal to young men, I can't directly fault it for doing that.
Specifically to that point, I think there are two things wrong with that line of thinking:

1) To make that rather generous reading of Tomino's work we have to ignore all the other ways he portrays women in other situations. You know what I mean, how women are bitchy, fickle, quick to betray both their men and even their cause for another man. How emotionally unstable they are, how unfit they are to pilot a robot (unless they've been 'enhanced by some man') and how often they must suffer and die (hint: always and forever).

2) Even if we were to accept that reading of Tomino then we can still criticise him because if he only portrays women as victims who cannot be saved and how tragic that is. He's creating a reality without hope for women. A world where it's simply accepted as fact that their job is to suffer abuse and eventual death at the hands of men. In a fantasy world, why must women be given such a role? Can Tomino explain why why he doesn't champion the possibility a better world for women? If he thinks that what he's portraying is reality than what good does it do to simply reflecting cruel reality back a the audience. Isn't that to accept defeat, in a sense? Miyazaki chooses to to go beyond 'reality' and give his female characters strength, determination and the possibility of achieving very real goals, there's no reason Tomino couldn't do the same.

Moreover, the women don't exist as characters in themselves but merely as plot points to motivate great men to action, men who can and do change the course of history. This is to fail to respect their fundamental humanity.

Now, I'd argue that Tomino's portrayal of women has changed over the years but it's still pretty bad (see Brain Powered).

SAO 14

winning the game

They are married , so they share inventory AND achievements. So if kirito wins , asuna wins as well .
Dumb rules i know i know.

SAO 16

It's Sword Art Online: World at War Alfheim Online. Now with wings.

And Kirito manages to beat other players in this game mere minutes after he's joined. At least they've fixed the game so nobody can die in real-life, right?

Fortunate that Yui was the only item that wasn't corrupted as well. Wait... How come he got that weapon then?

Theonik

Kokoro Kinect
First of all, let me just say how this show is quite bad. It is.
It's stupid and overly dramatic trying to make some sort of point that I'm not sure even the writers know what it was till this day.
That being said, it gets some props for the ending not utterly disappointing me. Which surprised me.
The best girl won for once. Wow.
Would I recommend it? Well I will answer this with a question. Do you like Miyuki Sawashiro? Depending on your answer Zach might have to kick your ass.

Mr.Jeff

The Idolm@ster - 03
So I guess each episode is going to have a different idol huh? This episode is Yukiho who we are supposed to care about because she has a fear of men. Perhaps all of the effect is lost because it's taken all of one episode and a few previous cameos to build this up before the revelation happens.
Or perhaps it's because she will be absorbed back into the morass of the group mentality in favour of a different idol and it's all meaningless.
Or even because with such a limited background information her and her reasons for doing any of this, the development is meaningless despite her "working hard all this time!".

This series just crushes my soul and makes me depressed.

Which show would you nominate for having the best designs? Because I think the run of Wing through Endless Waltz was pretty spot-on. Especially for the generic mook mecha. OZ Mobile Suits are spectacular. I grant many of them are flashier than the average UC mech, but I think Wing strikes a good balance between being flashy and the sort of craziness that 00 AWTB had.
I'm not sure which I would pick as the best. I'm generally biased in favor of UC designs, though I might be most fond of how the designs are depicted in The 08th MS Team.

duckroll

Fate/Stay Night's staff said that they're gonna instead of relying upon cinematic tricks for the action will have characters move as fast as they should, sounds pretty cool. Also they confirmed that characters that didn't get much screentime in UBW will be getting additional scenes written by Nasu, so expect more Kotomine and Ilya.

I assume you're talking about the really detailed staff talk panel Gigazine covered right?

For reference the transcripts are here:
http://gigazine.net/news/20140908-fate-stay-night-staff-talk-1/
http://gigazine.net/news/20140908-fate-stay-night-staff-talk-2/

I glanced through it to look for interesting bits earlier, mostly just being really excited that Suhara is confirmed to have large role in the series. I just took the time to read through it all though, and there's quite a bit of interesting production stuff there, especially for fans of the Fate/Zero behind the scenes production stuff. I really like how Ufotable takes the time to showcase their internal staff too, even though many of them are young animators who don't really have much of a portfolio. It's pretty neat to see a studio being proud of developing and nurturing talent.

The part about not using camera effects isn't really just about speed. Tomonori Sudo (the main supervising animation director for the project) is talking about how Takahiro Miura (the director) is approaching action in the series. When they did Fate/Zero, they made it a point to always show the flow of the action. With Fate/Stay Night though, from the storyboard stage a lot of the action sequences are already much more flashy and over the top, but even so, there's a directive to ensure that the complete flow of the action is captured no matter how flashy it is. Sudo goes on to explain that they want to try accomplishing this without replying on the aid of camera or background effects to create intensity, allowing the actual action being animated to show off the intensity instead.

The comment seems to indicate that the digital team will be taking a much more subtle approach compared to Fate/Zero. This is later confirmed when the digital team joins the panel, and talks about how they'll be taking a bit of a backstage compared to the animation staff this time round, because there aren't as many situations in Fate/Stay Night where they can really show off (Berserker, the dogfight and giant monster at the start of season 2, and Rider's army at the end, etc). Instead they'll be focusing on doing as good as job as possible in the parts they need to (CG layouts, composite, CG elements, etc) complimenting the work of the animation staff.

The most interesting part of the staff talk for me is the confirmation that Takashi Suhara (director of F/Z ep4, 9, 16, 18) is totally dedicated to the project. Kondo even says he is Miura's right hand man on Fate/Stay Night. Suhara will be directing and storyboarding a number of episodes in the series. He says that he has storyboarded 2 and a half episodes so far, and Kondo suggests he'll be doing another 2 more (probably for the second season which starts next year). He confirms that what he's working on at the moment involves a lot of action, which is pretty good news considering he directed both Fate/Zero episodes with the Lancer vs Saber fights, and they turned out really well. If he's the right hand of the director, the episodes he's working on are probably pretty important ones too.

It was also nice reading thatToshiyuki Shirai will be making his episode directorial debut in Fate/Stay Night. He was an animation director on Fate/Zero, and he'll also be an animation director here in addition to directing and storyboarding some stuff. Takuya Aoki, a Ufotable animator who started out on in-betweening before being promoted to key animation, will also be making his debut as an animation director on Fate/Stay Night. It's really nice to see that Ufotable is continuing to do what they did with Fate/Zero - promoting young staff to more prominent staff roles even on a major production.

Clov

Not sure how many will agree with me, but I love the designs in Zeta and CCA. The Psyco Gundam (and its mk2 successor) just looks so cool to me. I still need to finish building the HGUC Sazabi that I got a few years back too...

CorvoSol

Specifically to that point, I think there are two things wrong with that line of thinking:

1) To make that rather generous reading of Tomino's work we have to ignore all the other ways he portrays women in other situations. You know what I mean, how women are bitchy, fickle, quick to betray both their men and even their cause for another man. How emotionally unstable they are, how unfit they are to pilot a robot (unless they've been 'enhanced by some man') and how often they must suffer and die (hint: always and forever).

2) Even if we were to accept that reading of Tomino then we can still criticise him because if he only portrays women as victims who cannot be saved and how tragic that is. He's creating a reality without hope for women. A world where it's simply accepted as fact that their job is to suffer abuse and eventual death at the hands of men. In a fantasy world, why must women be given such a role? Can Tomino explain why why he doesn't champion the possibility a better world for women? If he thinks that what he's portraying is reality than what good does it do to simply reflecting cruel reality back a the audience. Isn't that to accept defeat, in a sense? Miyazaki chooses to to go beyond 'reality' and give his female characters strength, determination and the possibility of achieving very real goals, there's no reason Tomino couldn't do the same.

Moreover, the women don't exist as characters in themselves but merely as plot points to motivate great men to action, men who can and do change the course of history. This is to fail to respect their fundamental humanity.

Now, I'd argue that Tomino's portrayal of women has changed over the years but it's still pretty bad (see Brain Powered).

I think the latter point is one everyone can agree to. Nobody I've ever spoken to considers Tomino beyond reproach for his portrayal of women so much as they prefer to debate the larger of the charges: whether or not Tomino hates women.

I feel that nobody really exemplifies Tomino's terrible job writing women than this woman here:

YoG9cJ3.jpg

When first introduced, I think Reccoa was probably one of my favorite characters in Zeta. She was a competent, confident female pilot, more than capable of handling her own and very aware of the world around her. She was pivotal in convincing Emma Sheen to defect from the Titans to the AEUG, and she served as a sort of secondary mentor to Kamille when Quattro couldn't be bothered to do so. She went on dangerous secret missions, hung out with nifty characters like Kai Shiden, and was all around a fairly engaging character.

Partway through the series, however, something went wrong. All the men aboard the ship suddenly took an intense interest in Reccoa's lack of a love life, her willingness to do dangerous missions somehow became associated with her lack of a man in her life, and despite her own protests to the contrary, she ultimately defected to the Titans after one encounter with Paptimus in which he threatened her. Threatened. He didn't do anything particularly attractive, but somehow that was the basis of her desertion of everyone she held dear, and yet it never once showed up again in her relationship with him. From then on she sort of just yammered about how she was doing everything she was doing because she was a woman and that's what women do.

I've had it put to me that this aspect of Reccoa's character is because she wrongly believes traditional and skewed interpretations of what a woman is supposed to be, but I don't know. As far as I can tell she backs Char into an emotional corner and then deserts for the next biggest Newtype dick to jump on. To say I now hold her as one of the most contemptuous women in Tomino's run on Gundam is to put it lightly.

However, I think there are one or two examples of female characters I might say I enjoyed, and whose success might be considered something of a fluke.

Mskanq6.jpg

Admittedly, Mirai goes through three relationships over the course of MSG and each of these has an impact of significance upon her character. However, I don't think that Mirai's relationships with men defines her nearly as much as some women later on. Perhaps I misremember it, but there is a period of time in which Bright is ill and Mirai covers for him as the White Base's captain. She is naturally uncertain of her abilities, but she manages to keep the ship running all the same. She requires help from Sayla to do so, and you may argue that this is a case of two women being necessary to fill a single man's role, but I think that this particular example doesn't come off that way, since there are substantial, reasonable explanations for it, the incident brings the two women closer, and it helps Mirai to grow.

Further down the line, though, Mirai shows her strength when confronted by her fiance. It turns out that she is the daughter of a politician, fled from her cowardly fiance, and joined up with the military to take an active role in the war. Throughout the arc Mirai demonstrates an understanding of who she is and what she wants, while also managing to avoid a serious amount of the more common pitfalls that would ordinarily come from a Tomino girl jilting a Tomino guy. In that sense, I kind of like Mirai in MSG. Her portrayal in Zeta is arguable, however.

I was going to cite Haman, but then I realized that if you sort of simplify her character into being "well she's competent and smart, but also an evil bitch" that sort of fits Tomino's bill perfectly. I do think she manages to avoid being a victim or overly reliant upon men for most of her run, though. She definitely has an attraction both to Char and Judau, but neither of these attractions ever blinds Haman from her personal agenda, and although they do affect her mood on notable occasions, never in the same extremely typical way that Reccoa gets. Haman only sort of half-counts, then.

Dynedom

1) To make that rather generous reading of Tomino's work we have to ignore all the other ways he portrays women in other situations. You know what I mean, how women are bitchy, fickle, quick to betray both their men and even their cause for another man.

This seems to describe characters like Reccoa from Z and Katejina from Victory more than the average woman character in Gundam.

How emotionally unstable they are, how unfit they are to pilot a robot (unless they've been 'enhanced by some man') and how often they must suffer and die (hint: always and forever).

Man, I feel like this entire conversation is going to revolve around Zeta Gundam. I don't think these tropes really fit in with the original 0079. I think you can excuse Lalah's character because it was the start of the universe.

This part is harder to argue. I mean, Unicorn departs from this somewhat by making Marida Cruz and Audrey somewhat more solid than most UC characters. You're right though. You look at characters like Four, Rosamia (wtf man) and like every one unlucky enough to fall in love with
Jerrid
and you have some straight up bullshit. He had a chance with Haman but even she had a weakness for
Judau's dick

I also feel we have to keep in mind (although not as an excuse but as an explanation) that Tomino was depressed during the writing of a lot of his later Gundam work, which culminated in Victory being horrible tragedy porn. Hoo boy, we better not talk about the women in that show.
Shrike Team
anyone?

edit: Jex, have you ever watched Dubine by any chance?

As hilarious as this is, it seems kind of impractical. Why would you bother closing the lid? What if you're in the middle of a fight and you have to go and the lid's closed?

It should just suck the pilot into place, then they wouldn't have to worry about falling out of the seat either...

Theonik

sCRYed
fofatr.png

Behold, early 2000s Sunrise.
So I think I should talk about this too. So what is this show about. Well, it's actually pretty simple to a fault. I will let this genius hummingbird review give you the basics.

So what is the show really about? Well the show doesn't really care so why should you. The best description would probably be 'A show about men punching each other for no reason' It's pretty much on the money. It also has some almost Tomino levels of misogyny going on so there is that too.
It's a sunrise show from the early 2000s so it also looks like it. Some godawful effects galore.
Where the show distinguishes itself is in how stupid it is. It kind of feels like a JoJo rip-off but it's not. Instead it's something a lot more basic. I am not sure if I would fault the show for it, but the simplicity allows it to do some rather stupid/cool things.
Action was not half-bad, if only it wasn't let down from its early 2000s production. It could have been better. Characters are kinda cool.
Mostly STRAIGHT MOTHERFUCKING COUGAR. Because FUCK HE'S CALLED STRAIGHT MOTHERFUCKING COUGAR. DID I MENTION STAIGHT COUGAR?
Yeah, if you are Cosmic watch this. (I know cosmic's seen it) if not I don't know. Maybe you should watch it for STRAIGHT COUGAR. Or the action. Or if you like punching I guess.
Oh yeah. Some rad backgrounds in this too.

This anime was recommended by duckroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom