• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HappinessCharge Precure - The Legend of Yuuko

QLOXarN.jpg
KYtX0Hq.jpg

The Second half of HapCha continues to reinforce the fact that Yuuko is in fact, based as fuck, despite her love of grains. We actually find out Yuuko's love not too long after admitting to Hime that she once loved someone. It was filled with
tragedy, and trolling as well. I was expecting a he rejected me story, not a "He died on me" story.

Needless to say, Thanks to Yuuko channeling her inner Mako-chan for Phantom, she unleashed a styling and profiling aspect to allow her to withstand Phantom's threads and even subdue him. What a fucking based character.

Captain Erf 23

Watching this dream like episode made me wish for a version of Captain Earth where all the machine goodfellow avatar bodies had just been friends of Daichi at school so that he'd have more of a connection to them. Would have made things more interesting

That thought aside, it was an alright episode even if it was just clearly a budget save/padding episode to save money for the finale.

Midonin

Princess Tutu 03-05

Having things related to emotions be collectable things in Japanese media is hardly unheard of, but Tutu's take on it feels somewhat different than most. The majority of the emotions have been negative so far, and even the one positive one (affection) is not without its adverse effects. Rue's not a terrible person, there's even a sort of friendship brewing there, but I can't say she's completely on Duck's side either yet. Drosselmeyer remains a total weirdo, that goes without saying.

The ballet battles are an interesting way of going about this. I can't recognize everything in them, but their impact is still felt. The dance in episode 4, with all those ghostly backup dancers, was pretty beautiful, but also macabre. There's this underlying air of dread to the entire thing, even as the hijinks with Duck acting all lovestruck and duck-like continue to play in the foreground. The nature of stories that it's raising is also an interesting one.

Fakir, not cool on that guy. And Pike and Lilie are a far cry from the Narus and Tomoyos of the world. When they're supportive, they always have to undercut it with an insult. What I'm mostly seeing is both a standard and somewhat higher-brow magical girl series here, and I have some vague idea of where this is going, but not enough that I could say outright.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 7

Unicorn always pegged me as more of a love letter to the Universal Century timeline and less of an entry in it's own right and the final chapter just emphasised that line of thinking. Maybe this isn't such a stunning idea, since the main title is Kidou Senshi Gundam UC. Universal Century gundam was always the more "magical" than any of the alternative titmelines AFAIK and Unicorn follows the trend faithfully with a constant nagging feeling that the show is more about magical psychics than anything else. Unicorn's constant fanservice is done via flashbacks and direct references to MSG and CCA which makes the show really feel like the follow-up it is. The show doesn't really slot exactly well since the "majour" revelations of laplace's box don't seem to have changed anything in the series that take place chronologically afterwards, but the overthinking of such things never leads to happiness so we'll leave it for now.

The show is incredibly beautiful and if you ever have the pleasure to watch any of the episodes with a full surround sound system you are in for a treat. The beams going across from one corner to another with the superb animation of the mobile suit space battles will leave you mesmerised and hopefully distract you enough from all the storytelling going on.

I'm not a fan of the space magics. When it was used sparingly in MSG it was fine, then Zeta took it too far at the end and CCA just said screw it, they are space psychic magicians. The newtype theory of people who can truly understand one another seems to have turned into people who can create stupendous amounts of energy out of feelings. Sometimes I wonder if it is a "real robot show" and not just another shounen, powerup when you need it, power of friendship, save the world at 16, OMG I just met her so we are destined for each other, POS.

The actual message of the episode being believing in possibility is just thrown out without answering any of the put downs that the antagonists place across. Banagher's answer is "Even if that's true/Even so" which isn't really much of a comeback at all. Enemies just disintegrate because you talked to them, people switch sides on a whim and no one seems to really know what they believe in. There's a lot of crying and talking which is at least a lot better than the anime standard of screaming at each other for unneeded emphasis.

Mobile suit design actually took a nose dive this episode with a lot of unneeded blue-green glowing, with many suits packing secondary, tertiary, quaternary, quinary, senary, septenary, octonary, nonary, and denary guns. I like my gundam simple, the full armour Unicorn and the massive Sinaju are an affront to that. It also greatly reduces the impact of having your gun or arm destroyed when you have 15 more.

Theres a lot more to say, but right now I think I'm done. Mobile Suit Gundam UC (Unicorn) is a beautiful love letter to the main part of UC (Universal Century). It isn't the best written and contains a lot of tropes I despise, but theres no where else where you can get beautifully animated space robot battles with a team that is trying to tackle political, social and human issues. It's not perfect, but at least it tries. I for one believe in the possibility that one day Gundam will get it right.

Sailor Moon 35

God damn Viz do you people understand how to time subs? Episode was almost unwatchable because of the delay and I'm pretty sure some lines were completely dropped.

Besides for that, a pretty great episode that answers several questions, gave some nice character moments especially for Usagi and Rei. Another episode I largely remember from my childhood and it's still fairly enjoyable.

Blusby

Fate/Stay Night's staff said that they're gonna instead of relying upon cinematic tricks for the action will have characters move as fast as they should, sounds pretty cool. Also they confirmed that characters that didn't get much screentime in UBW will be getting additional scenes written by Nasu, so expect more Kotomine and Ilya.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fate/Stay Night's staff said that they're gonna remove the cinematic tricks for the action and just have characters move as fast as they should, sounds pretty cool. Also thye confirmed that characters that didn't get much screentime in UBW will be getting additional scenes written by Nasu, so expect more Kotomine and Ilya.

We're gonna need a mapo tofu scene.

Sailor Moon 35

Well... Tudedo Mask gets kidnapped, more information about the Moon Kingdom is revealed and Zoisite
dies
, so there's a lot happening. Sailor Moon almost gives up as well, but Sailor Mars slaps some sense into her.

There's out of sync subtitles and the awful sound quality is back again. Hopefully they fix it later on :p

Fate/Stay Night's staff said that they're gonna instead of relying upon cinematic tricks for the action will have characters move as fast as they should, sounds pretty cool. Also they confirmed that characters that didn't get much screentime in UBW will be getting additional scenes written by Nasu, so expect more Kotomine and Ilya.

I just hope they add more scenes with backstory for Caster and
Kuzuki
, seeing as how those two are easily the weakest part of the route.

Blusby

Kuzuki

Caster doesn't really need any backstory outside of what's said, she's easily the most well written servant in SN,
Kuzuki
though does indeed need something.
I wouldn't say that they're the weakest part of the route either as Caster's character arc in particular runs parallel to Shirou's.

Here's the thing about Wing:

-Best fucking mecha designs in the entire franchise. Like seriously. Holy God yes. Wing Zero? Heavy Arms? Tallgeese? Epyon? God Tier. Shush, Ezalc. Shush.
-Some really memorable characters like Treize, Hiro and Zechs.

But at the same time it has a few really bad characters, and the plot is essentially a recap of the entire Universal Century from MSG to CCA.

Wing is by no means a bad show. Not when shit like AGE exists.

Two of the main reasons I liked Gundam Wing so much!

School Days 01

Time to finally get on this. I think I more or less know what I'm in for but we shall see.

That foreshadowing at the beginning.
KuGsj.gif
Episode was rather dull and the main guy was insufferable but he still got done more in one episode than Raku in twenty. I foresee a great future for him !

Ahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!

Jex

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 7

Unicorn always pegged me as more of a love letter to the Universal Century timeline and less of an entry in it's own right and the final chapter just emphasised that line of thinking. Maybe this isn't such a stunning idea, since the main title is Kidou Senshi Gundam UC. Universal Century gundam was always the more "magical" than any of the alternative titmelines AFAIK and Unicorn follows the trend faithfully with a constant nagging feeling that the show is more about magical psychics than anything else. Unicorn's constant fanservice is done via flashbacks and direct references to MSG and CCA which makes the show really feel like the follow-up it is. The show doesn't really slot exactly well since the "majour" revelations of laplace's box don't seem to have changed anything in the series that take place chronologically afterwards, but the overthinking of such things never leads to happiness so we'll leave it for now.
Well, Unicorn really works far better on a thematic level if if you imagine it as the 'Seal' on the Universal Century and that no works follow on directly from it. It would work far better and be more resonant if that was the case. The ending leaves many things up in the air and not knowing how things play out would, in fact, be preferable.

I have much, much more to say about Unicorn because it's kind of fascinating in many respects. I just have to make the time to write a substantial post about an old OVA series that maybe three people will care about.

Watamote 2

I-is that Onodera's VO I hear? Nice. Dat ending. So I guess that friendship is over. Lol.

Not really as strong or had many gags as the first episode. I can deal with that though. Also "cute" MC is terrifying. So scary.

Dynedom

Well, Unicorn really works far better on a thematic level if if you imagine it as the 'Seal' on the Universal Century and that no works follow on directly from it. It would work far better and be more resonant if that was the case. The ending leaves many things up in the air and not knowing how things play out would, in fact, be preferable.

I have much, much more to say about Unicorn because it's kind of fascinating in many respects. I just have to make the time to write a substantial post about an old OVA series that maybe three people will care about.

I honestly have mixed feelings about Unicorn but I think they're mostly positive. I will be one of these 3 people.

Captain Earf - Caught Up

Looking forward to a high budget BONES finale. This show got real dumb but at least it looks good. Still fun too.

That is a good way of putting it. The show definitely marks a solid end of the intertwined story of Zeon their goals and the things that result from it.

Midonin

Blade Dance 09

There's the Ellis focus I was looking for. And it's clear that this world's version of Valentine's Day is going on. That's... pretty bold of you, Est.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gotta wait till HF for that bub, having it twice would spoil the magic of it.

I can see that being cut from the movie.

Kuzuki

They'd have to invent some since even in the V/N they barely explore his deal. I think all the stuff that even pertains to him is stuff that came out of side material.

fertygo

Indicative of the animation quality of the entire show. Right.

I had unsatisfied thirst for sakuga that never came in this show, all space fight in the show are fucking garbo because the bloated design that make the animator confused how to animate it in nice way. Its way below BONES's standard.

Sailor Moon 36

Usagi is still worried about Tuxedo Mask getting kidnapped so Minako takes her to a hair salon to cheer her up. Of course, the hair salon happens to be evil, and then somebody else turns out to be evil now as well.

The subtitles are fine in this episode, but there's still some bad audio. Audio pops in this one.

cajunator

Banned
Oh my goodness, I think I might die of cute overload.

Nah. Youll survive if I havent been felled yet!

Princess Tutu 03-05

Having things related to emotions be collectable things in Japanese media is hardly unheard of, but Tutu's take on it feels somewhat different than most. The majority of the emotions have been negative so far, and even the one positive one (affection) is not without its adverse effects. Rue's not a terrible person, there's even a sort of friendship brewing there, but I can't say she's completely on Duck's side either yet. Drosselmeyer remains a total weirdo, that goes without saying.

The ballet battles are an interesting way of going about this. I can't recognize everything in them, but their impact is still felt. The dance in episode 4, with all those ghostly backup dancers, was pretty beautiful, but also macabre. There's this underlying air of dread to the entire thing, even as the hijinks with Duck acting all lovestruck and duck-like continue to play in the foreground. The nature of stories that it's raising is also an interesting one.

Fakir, not cool on that guy. And Pike and Lilie are a far cry from the Narus and Tomoyos of the world. When they're supportive, they always have to undercut it with an insult. What I'm mostly seeing is both a standard and somewhat higher-brow magical girl series here, and I have some vague idea of where this is going, but not enough that I could say outright.

Whats your opinion of Cat sensei? Great character or greatest character?

Sailor Moon 35

God damn Viz do you people understand how to time subs? Episode was almost unwatchable because of the delay and I'm pretty sure some lines were completely dropped.

Besides for that, a pretty great episode that answers several questions, gave some nice character moments especially for Usagi and Rei. Another episode I largely remember from my childhood and it's still fairly enjoyable.

So this is a subtitle error? That worries me a bit for the upcoming release. I hope they sort it out.

CorvoSol

I have plenty of nostalgia for Wing's designs but I can't agree with this. Maybe if you limit it to AC. Edit: And mix in the Endless Waltz designs.

Which show would you nominate for having the best designs? Because I think the run of Wing through Endless Waltz was pretty spot-on. Especially for the generic mook mecha. OZ Mobile Suits are spectacular. I grant many of them are flashier than the average UC mech, but I think Wing strikes a good balance between being flashy and the sort of craziness that 00 AWTB had.

How I see this matter is that if you're watching a Gundam show for pleasure you just kind of have to expect that the writing will be bad, especially if Tomino was involved. The most you can hope for is that the mehca will look cool, that the animation is decent and that there are a few genuinely likeable charatcers. You can't really ask for more then that from even some of the 'best' shows in the franchise.

I tend to agree with this on most counts, but I need to have it specified that just because Gundam writing isn't often great, doesn't mean that all bads are here equal. I think there's a pretty big difference in the bad of the original UC (MSG-Z-ZZ) run and the bad of the likes of SEED Destiny, AGE, and A Wakening of the Trailblazer. And also I hold G as special, but otherwise yes, I'd agree with that description.

I'll never understand why Macross Plus at the very opposite spectrum compared to Stardust Memory about the perception of the story and writing quality.

You know I actually think this is a pretty apt comparison. The animation in Macross + was pretty fucking awesome, and I remember people saying that about Stardust Memory, too (it's been long enough I don't remember). But the cast of both shows were pretty unlikeable, and what success comes to them feels sort of hollow and contrived.

fertygo

You know I actually think this is a pretty apt comparison. The animation in Macross + was pretty fucking awesome, and I remember people saying that about Stardust Memory, too (it's been long enough I don't remember). But the cast of both shows were pretty unlikeable, and what success comes to them feels sort of hollow and contrived.

Yeah Stardust Memory have strong argument for best looking and sounds Gundam properties after their big cinema showing (CCA) just like Plus.
G-Reco has solved the problem you've never wondered about:

LOL/

fertygo

LOL that actually made sense application if we had that kind of futuristic war machine, but yeah for fiction we don't need to know that.

Jex

I'll never understand why Macross Plus at the very opposite spectrum compared to Stardust Memory about the perception of the story and writing quality.

Stardust Memory deemed as really bad, had offensive character, etc and Macross Plus are hailed as masterpiece and had "Mature" story, both about as offensive to me from what I saw.

Stardust Memory had Infuriating character? Macross Plus had Isamu Dyson and Guld Goa Bowman that despite supposedly filled the adult character role both had mentality of 8 year old, seriously what so mature about this show story when both character act like Tom and Jerry for majority of show? come to think about it they made peace like Tom and Jerry too.

And the show also have one of the most offensive plot point that I seen in fiction, I'm not femmeworth but I can't believe Keiko Nobumoto writing this :(
here's the plot point:
Later its revealed Guld's tantrum for the whole show just selective amnesia after tore an young girl cloth, I repeat. SELECTIVE AMNESIA after tore an young girl cloth
Even not talking about how classless it is, its so frigging absurd to pass as coherent plot device.

Character Development is non-existent too, at least Stardust Memory not trying to portray their unlikeable character as hero.
Okay, it's pretty easy to explain this, I think.

People often call Macross Plus Top Gun in space, which isn't really accurate in any sense of the word but it's interesting to think about. Top Gun has taught audiences that cool hot shot pilots are basically dicks, but loveable dicks. Sure, Isamu and Guld are kind of dicks to each other but most of the time their dickish nature is not the main focus of the plot. Firstly there's their piloting rivalry, and the Sharon Apple stuff take up plenty of time.There's too much other stuff going around for it to be entirely weighed down by love squabble.

By the time we get to the stuff in your spoiler text it is basically the end of the show and it doesn't really matter anymore because PLOT is happening. Sure, in retrospect that revelation calls a lot of stuff that happened earlier into question but it's too late by then because we've got a city to save!

On a fundamental storytelling Macross Plus has a beginning, middle and end and the ending actually resolves things in a manner that's both spectacular and satisfying for all parties. The pacing is tight, at a lean 4 episodes of content. It features amazing visual sequences accompanied by mesmerising music. It creates a brand new, fantastical world of wonder that you'd like to visit. It's central theme is inspirational, a message about chasing your dreams and about LOVE. Our characters may be dicks but there's plenty of time where they're actually semi-decent human beings. I wouldn't call them well written but their motivations (as far as we know) all make sense and we can understand them. Heck, occasionally they have a shot at being heroic.

Stardust Memory features a boring, brown world filled with assholes who betray and shout at each other 24/7. Kou's sole motivation is being slighted by Gato and his HONOUR is at stake. Cue 13 painful episodes of him grumbling and whining about how his manhood is at stake when far more important things are happening. By the time we get to the end and it's out-of-nowhere character revelations and insanely stupid plot developments which LITERALLY BOGGLE THE MIND you're left in a stupor. You learn to hate every character more then you ever did before and nothing is resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Your blood boils and acid rises in your stomach as you learn to curse the names forever etched into your blackened heart: Nina, Kou, Gato, you all deserver to burn in hell for your crimes against Gudam, against story, against the universe. Every night you pray it was just a bad dream but every morning you wake to the reality that yes, Stardust Memory exists and someone thought that it was a good story with likeable characters. It's enough to make you lose faith in God.

Jex

Holy shit I just edited that post 12 times or something. Nothing makes me more :Corvo than Stardust Memories.

Angry Grimace

Akame ga Kill! 10

Esdese being like 2 feet taller than Tatsumi makes it even weirder. Isn't he supposed to be like standard shonen age, 16 or something? Or is she just like 7 feet tall?

Jex

No offence to Corvo, of course. His posting is generally informative and well considered rather than simply rage filled these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom