• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strike Witches - 12 END

I know I've finished my side of the secret anime contest, but now I actually sort of want to see S2 due to the questions I have.
That was easy, I among others had to bully the shit out of Narag and he still hasn't watched S2!

Also everyone watching Sailor Moon on Hulu week-to-week should replace any time they write "Artemis" with "Narag".

Akame ga Kill 10
Surprised Takumi was able to escape so easily. Wave is an interesting counterpart to Takumi. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the first Jaeger to die

Jarmel

Banned
The part about not using camera effects isn't really just about speed. Tomonori Sudo (the main supervising animation director for the project) is talking about how Takahiro Miura (the director) is approaching action in the series. When they did Fate/Zero, they made it a point to always show the flow of the action. With Fate/Stay Night though, from the storyboard stage a lot of the action sequences are already much more flashy and over the top, but even so, there's a directive to ensure that the complete flow of the action is captured no matter how flashy it is. Sudo goes on to explain that they want to try accomplishing this without replying on the aid of camera or background effects to create intensity, allowing the actual action being animated to show off the intensity instead.

I think this is the right call mostly due to Shirou. Unlike Fate/Zero where the protagonists were experienced, Shirou isn't used to seeing Servants and so the show capturing the raw speed of the Servants is a excellent way to not only demonstrate the danger surrounding the events but also use it as a bit of characterization for Shirou. I also think it'll work great when we get to the
Shirou vs Archer fight and we get just see those two go at it
. I am a bit worried that it might devolve into sword spam ala KLK but the stuff in the PVs of Saber vs Lancer look fantastic.
The comment seems to indicate that the digital team will be taking a much more subtle approach compared to Fate/Zero. This is later confirmed when the digital team joins the panel, and talks about how they'll be taking a bit of a backstage compared to the animation staff this time round, because there aren't as many situations in Fate/Stay Night where they can really show off (Berserker, the dogfight and giant monster at the start of season 2, and Rider's army at the end, etc). Instead they'll be focusing on doing as good as job as possible in the parts they need to (CG layouts, composite, CG elements, etc) complimenting the work of the animation staff.

I'm sure the digital team will have stuff to do. I can't imagine they'll do Caster's beam spam in 2D (although I would get down on my knees if they did 2D Itano Circus with it). Also stuff like UBW will probably be heavily CGI.

It was also nice reading that Toshiyuki Shirai will be making his episode directorial debut in Fate/Stay Night. He was an animation director on Fate/Zero, and he'll also be an animation director here in addition to directing and storyboarding some stuff. Takuya Aoki, a Ufotable animator who started out on in-betweening before being promoted to key animation, will also be making his debut as an animation director on Fate/Stay Night. It's really nice to see that Ufotable is continuing to do what they did with Fate/Zero - promoting young staff to more prominent staff roles even on a major production.

I wish other 'newer' studios did this as I think it would be a great way to not only foster talent but also grab aspiring directors and whatnot. Yes I'm thinking of Trigger, although I should give credit that Trigger had some younger animators do animation director roles for a number of KLK episodes. However stuff like interviews and heavier promotion of their younger staff so that Trigger could be less of New Gainax and more of their own thing.

Jex

CorvoSol and Dynedom, you both make good points in that there are women in Gundam that don't fit within the negative categories that I defined. However, to reinforce my earlier point, you have to examine Tomino's greater body of work. While I'm hardly a Tomino scholar, a cursory glance through his catalogue will reveal that the 'bad', stereotypical women appear again and again throughout his catalogue of shows. Consider Brain Powered, or Ideon, or Xabungle. It's a distinct pattern. I mean, I think this speaks for itself:

emotionsknb64.gif

jironzrsel.gif

As if further evidence was needed, Xabungle features one hyper competent women. She isn't led around by men, like the two primary girls in the show. Neither is she weak, in fact we see her besting the main character both physically and in a robot fight. She's cool, she's strong, and she's brutally murdered by Tomino in the episode she's introduced in because that's how Tomino treats women. It's the pattern that condemns him, not individual instances of bad writing.

zulux21

blue spring ride 10
after last weeks episode where pretty much nothing happened, I expected the little bit from the end of last episode to stay hidden for a few episodes, but it was actually resolved quickly and for the first time in a while it feels like real progress has been made. An enjoyable overall episode.

I'm not sure which I would pick as the best. I'm generally biased in favor of UC designs, though I might be most fond of how the designs are depicted in The 08th MS Team.

Yeah, how MS are depicted in 08th MS Team is great, not just design wise.

It's cheating but GBF has the best designs for a Gundam show.

Well, it's not untrue lol. GBF has animated Crossbone plus Wing, Gouf and Exia Repair in one series.

Not sure how many will agree with me, but I love the designs in Zeta and CCA. The Psyco Gundam (and its mk2 successor) just looks so cool to me. I still need to finish building the HGUC Sazabi that I got a few years back too...

I think a lot of people like the designs of Zeta. Hyaku Shiki and
Qubeley
are awesome.

I think the latter point is one everyone can agree to. Nobody I've ever spoken to considers Tomino beyond reproach for his portrayal of women so much as they prefer to debate the larger of the charges: whether or not Tomino hates women.

I agree on Reccoa and Mirai, but I feel like characters like Four, Rosamia and Puru (man this is really just centered around Z/ZZ) are still good/enjoyable despite pretty much their entire character being made to suffer and attaching to a man while having mental breakdowns.
Haman is kind of in a separate league from them, she's pretty different from the Cyber Newtype school of Gundam characters.
Like you say, she does have some form of attraction for Judau and maybe Char at some point, but that never got in the way of her ambitions.
You can look at characters like Mashymere and say that Haman was using him the same way Glemy was using Puru.
But yes if you simplify her character down to "manipulative, smart, evil" it might as well fit the bill.

ALSO I HAVE NOT SEEN VICTORY

CorvoSol and Dynedom, you both make good points in that there are women in Gundam that don't fit within the negative categories that I defined. However, to reinforce my earlier point, you have to examine Tomino's greater body of work. While I'm hardly a Tomino scholar, a cursory glance through his catalogue will reveal that the 'bad', stereotypical women appear again and again throughout his catalogue of shows.

I also agree with this, I've seen few of Tomino's works out of Gundam but even I know that it's not a localized thing.

Everyone is being down on Tomino's past works, so why are we hype about his next work, If his past works aren't very good?

In the end, it's Gundam.

duckroll

I wish other 'newer' studios did this as I think it would be a great way to not only foster talent but also grab aspiring directors and whatnot. Yes I'm thinking of Trigger, although I should give credit that Trigger had some younger animators do animation director roles for a number of KLK episodes. However stuff like interviews and heavier promotion of their younger staff so that Trigger could be less of New Gainax and more of their own thing.

Probably not really fair to compare a studio like Ufotable with Trigger, at least right now. Ufotable took a long time to get to the point where they are. Kondo seems like a really smart producer in terms of how he has taken the studio's brand and used it to expand their reach and business options. Being able to organize their own promotional events (and organize events for others) via Machi Asobi for example. Having their own little cinema where they can screen normal films as well as their own studio exclusives. Connecting directly to their fans using the Ufotable Cafe to have seasonal tie-ins with whatever projects they're working on. Ufotable definitely isn't a standard anime studio in terms of how they operate their PR.

Theonik

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 01-10
I haven't laughed so hard at a show in so long.
This show is great. The cast is fun. And Seo/the prince arouse me greatly.
I'm not sure if there is much I can say that hasn't been said already.
WATCH THIS SHOW.

duckroll

Regarding the Macross Plus debate earlier, I have to say that I do feel that it is a lot like Stardust Memories in a lot of ways - both were acclaimed by fans at the time, both featured really great production values and really nice mecha designs, there's some fantastic action direction in both which is great fodder for AMVs, and...... they both feature insufferable characters and really convoluted stories which honestly kinda suck. Stardust Memories is worse because it's like 3 times longer, so if you want to rewatch it you have to suffer that much more. When I rewatched Macross Plus a couple of years back, I was really not impressed at all. It's still a technical achievement, but it's also... really fucking stupid.

Jarmel

Banned
Probably not really fair to compare a studio like Ufotable with Trigger, at least right now. Ufotable took a long time to get to the point where they are. Kondo seems like a really smart producer in terms of how he has taken the studio's brand and used it to expand their reach and business options. Being able to organize their own promotional events (and organize events for others) via Machi Asobi for example. Having their own little cinema where they can screen normal films as well as their own studio exclusives. Connecting directly to their fans using the Ufotable Cafe to have seasonal tie-ins with whatever projects they're working on. Ufotable definitely isn't a standard anime studio in terms of how they operate their PR.

Yea I was a little shocked when I recently read up on Ufotable and realized how old they are. I mostly associate them with the KnK movies but they had been around since 2000 (for other readers, in comparison BONES was founded in 1998). It's just that I think Trigger can down the road, or sooner, take some of the examples that Ufotable has done. The Ufotable Cafe in particular (which was awesome to visit while Fate/Zero was airing) is something I think might be great for Trigger to emulate a few years in the future.

Trigger so far has been rather unusual as well in how they do their PR and I hope that continues. My comment also isn't just limited to Trigger but other 'newer' studios as well, like Kinema Citrus.

Re: Stardust Memory

Despite watching all things Gundam on Toonami and Adult Swim, I remember that series the least. Must be my brain protecting itself, based on what Jexhius has said.

fertygo

Regarding the Macross Plus debate earlier, I have to say that I do feel that it is a lot like Stardust Memories in a lot of ways - both were acclaimed by fans at the time, both featured really great production values and really nice mecha designs, there's some fantastic action direction in both which is great fodder for AMVs, and...... they both feature insufferable characters and really convoluted stories which honestly kinda suck. Stardust Memories is worse because it's like 3 times longer, so if you want to rewatch it you have to suffer that much more. When I rewatched Macross Plus a couple of years back, I was really not impressed at all. It's still a technical achievement, but it's also... really fucking stupid.

You're really my man, ducky.

Midonin

Cakecaptor Sakura 29

Chip, syrup, whip! Sweet's another one of those really limited use cards, though it turning the entire world into a game of Candy Land was fun, at least up until the point where the chocolate chalkboard would've melted. Simple, fun episode, not much more to say here. Surprised the show had two cooking episodes in a row.

Re: Hamatora Episode 10 – For whom to duel

Definitely never expected it to go there or for this to be the conclusion it may be reaching for.
dont even see an Art v Nice thing happening as Nice is already nearly broke down completely. Art is at least protecting everyone barely though.

duckroll

Yea I was a little shocked when I recently read up on Ufotable and realized how old they are. I mostly associate them with the KnK movies but they had been around since 2000 (for other readers, in comparison BONES was founded in 1998). It's just that I think Trigger can down the road, or sooner, take some of the examples that Ufotable has done. The Ufotable Cafe in particular (which was awesome to visit while Fate/Zero was airing) is something I think might be great for Trigger to emulate a few years in the future.

Trigger so far has been rather unusual as well in how they do their PR and I hope that continues. My comment also isn't just limited to Trigger but other 'newer' studios as well, like Kinema Citrus.

I remember when I was looking through the history of Ufotable, and one of their first notable contributions to anime was the CG work on Gundam SEED. If anyone told me back then that the people responsible for the CG in Gundam SEED would go on to be a renowned animation studio making Type-Moon adaptations watchable, I would totally have said "get the fuck out!" lol.

You're really my man, ducky.

I have to speak up when I feel minority opinions I agree with are being trampled!

Pooya

Tales of Xillia 1.02

game 0/10 this is the most shameless, laziest 'sequel' I've ever seen. Awful. It's the same damn game, how they could put this shit out with an straight face? I managed to survive by the end to warn you. So much for the supposedly good story. eeeh meeh. don't waste your life here. Gameplay progression is crap too, fetch quest to the maximum to pay debt. Everything else is recycled, from the already heavily recycled ToX1...

ufotable 10/10 even the horrible fan service at least looked good.

Terrible game, don't get fooled by positive posts elsewhere, steer clear.

Tales of Xillia 1.02

game 0/10 this is the most shameless, laziest 'sequel' I've ever seen. Awful. It's the same damn game, how they could put this shit out with an straight face? I managed to survive by the end to warn you. So much for the supposedly good story. eeeh meeh. don't waste your life here. Gameplay progression is crap too, fetch quest to the maximum to pay debt. Everything else is recycled, from the already heavily recycled ToX1...

ufotable 10/10 even the horrible fan service at least looked good.

Terrible game, don't get fooled by positive posts elsewhere, steer clear.

Erm... I think you might be in the wrong thread.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So the end of the Revolutionary Girl Utena has been reached, its status as a masterwork is well earned, now what to watch next, and don't say the movie, I have seen it, several times.

I'm calling bullshit on that. What a shit-designed MMO.
Not bullshit that's the way how mariage works in SAO
Yeah it's shitty designed, that's why the other mmos based on the "seed" don't follow this template to this extreme.

Even after she
died? Well... Ok... Kirito died as well, but still...
Actually When you"die", death is not instant.
There is actually a 60 sec countdown where you can be revived with the extra ultra rare item AND THEN there is the moment where your brain is fried.
Asuna died , yes but she wasn't "dead"
.If you understand the logic.
And thus when the game was clear, everyone who wasn't dead was placed in the logout queue , and asuna since she isn't "dead" was summonned with kirito.

sCRYed

So I think I should talk about this too. So what is this show about. Well, it's actually pretty simple to a fault. I will let this genius hummingbird review give you the basics.

So what is the show really about? Well the show doesn't really care so why should you. The best description would probably be 'A show about men punching each other for no reason' It's pretty much on the money. It also has some almost Tomino levels of misogyny going on so there is that too.
It's a sunrise show from the early 2000s so it also looks like it. Some godawful effects galore.
Where the show distinguishes itself is in how stupid it is. It kind of feels like a JoJo rip-off but it's not. Instead it's something a lot more basic. I am not sure if I would fault the show for it, but the simplicity allows it to do some rather stupid/cool things.
Action was not half-bad, if only it wasn't let down from its early 2000s production. It could have been better. Characters are kinda cool.
Mostly STRAIGHT MOTHERFUCKING COUGAR. Because FUCK HE'S CALLED STRAIGHT MOTHERFUCKING COUGAR. DID I MENTION STAIGHT COUGAR?
Yeah, if you are Cosmic watch this. (I know cosmic's seen it) if not I don't know. Maybe you should watch it for STRAIGHT COUGAR. Or the action. Or if you like punching I guess.
Oh yeah. Some rad backgrounds in this too.

This anime was recommended by duckroll.

SCRYED is good mindless fun , Punching people , taking poses and good music is all is need sometimes.
DAT OPENING MUSIC

CorvoSol

I'm not sure which I would pick as the best. I'm generally biased in favor of UC designs, though I might be most fond of how the designs are depicted in The 08th MS Team.

I enjoyed the 08th MS Team's take on MSG designs, especially the Gouf Custom, but I dunno. I grant that in my case my affinity for Wing is in no small part due to the fact that those mechs are what got me into the genre and into anime as a medium.

It's cheating but GBF has the best designs for a Gundam show.

It is cheating. But you're right.

This part is harder to argue. I mean, Unicorn departs from this somewhat by making Marida Cruz and Audrey somewhat more solid than most UC characters. You're right though. You look at characters like Four, Rosamia (wtf man) and like every one unlucky enough to fall in love with
Jerrid
and you have some straight up bullshit. He had a chance with Haman but even she had a weakness for
Judau's dick

Now this is where I actually have to differ. I think Haman is a magnificent character and that Audrey is pretty damn typical. Char's Deleted Pedophilefanboypandering aside, Haman isn't a victim. She's actually most comparable to Ganondorf from Zelda. She's an evil overlord with a slightly rough childhood, allegedly lofty goals, and a flair for playing manipulation on an interplanetary scale.

I'd go so far as to say that Haman Khan is a better villain than both of her male, Zeon counterparts: Ghiren and Char.

That Haman is attracted to Judau is actually impressive in that her attraction isn't reliant. Unlike Reccoa or Katejina, or even Rosammy and Four, Haman remains incredibly independent of Judau. There's an element of sexuality, of course, but for the large part Haman's interest in Judau is mostly akin to Vader's in Luke. She wants to turn him to her cause, rather than willingly defecting. Haman is, in a sense, flipping the UC woman on her head by being completely true to herself and her wants, rather than abandoning everything she stood for. If Haman had been like other UC women she would have abandoned Axis the minute Char showed up again. Instead, Haman is frequently presented either as equal to or superior to the men around her. She's probably the one woman in the entire series never seen obeying a man in any way.

On the other hand, I really dislike Audrey because she's as boringly typical of the Gundam girlfriend as Banagher is of the Gundam protagonist. This is kind of the problem I have with Unicorn's leads in general. They're all just the common UC archetypes stripped of the individual flairs of each. Audrey's too intensely tied to her relationship with Banagher, and that relationship is built upon too much Newtype magic for my tastes.

Everyone is being down on Tomino's past works, so why are we hype about his next work, If his past works aren't very good?

Tomino is a great ideas man. He's just not very good at writing characters. Think George Lucas. Star Wars is a fantastic, thriving universe (two, now that the canon's shattered the way it has), but characters George was heavily involved in writing have crap dialogue (think Attack of the Clones.) In fact, imagine if an entire anime series was written with Attack of the Clones dialogue and you basically have Gundam.

People love Tomino's work because he has good ideas that are fun to watch, not so much because he's the greatest script writer of all time.

CorvoSol and Dynedom, you both make good points in that there are women in Gundam that don't fit within the negative categories that I defined. However, to reinforce my earlier point, you have to examine Tomino's greater body of work. While I'm hardly a Tomino scholar, a cursory glance through his catalogue will reveal that the 'bad', stereotypical women appear again and again throughout his catalogue of shows. Consider Brain Powered, or Ideon, or Xabungle. It's a distinct pattern. I mean, I think this speaks for itself:

emotionsknb64.gif

jironzrsel.gif

As if further evidence was needed, Xabungle features one hyper competent women. She isn't led around by men, like the two primary girls in the show. Neither is she weak, in fact we see her besting the main character both physically and in a robot fight. She's cool, she's strong, and she's brutally murdered by Tomino in the episode she's introduced in because that's how Tomino treats women. It's the pattern that condemns him, not individual instances of bad writing.

And see, this is the problem I'm at. Outside of the Universal Century Timeline I'm still very, very unfamiliar with Tomino. He has my respect for his dedication to the genre, but UC alone is enough to tell me that the guy does struggle writing characters. I think with a good aide he really could put out some truly amazing stuff.

I think a lot of people like the designs of Zeta. Hyaku Shiki and
Qubeley
are awesome.

I agree on Reccoa and Mirai, but I feel like characters like Four, Rosamia and Puru (man this is really just centered around Z/ZZ) are still good/enjoyable despite pretty much their entire character being made to suffer and attaching to a man while having mental breakdowns.
Haman is kind of in a separate league from them, she's pretty different from the Cyber Newtype school of Gundam characters.
Like you say, she does have some form of attraction for Judau and maybe Char at some point, but that never got in the way of her ambitions.
You can look at characters like Mashymere and say that Haman was using him the same way Glemy was using Puru.
But yes if you simplify her character down to "manipulative, smart, evil" it might as well fit the bill.

ALSO I HAVE NOT SEEN VICTORY

I think you misunderstand, in that I think Mirai is a great example of a good woman Tomino wrote, instead of a bad one. I full agree that Haman is good, too, I just can't make the argument as firmly because it's telling that the most well written woman in Tomino's Universal Century is an evil overlord.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I assume you're talking about the really detailed staff talk panel Gigazine covered right?

For reference the transcripts are here:
http://gigazine.net/news/20140908-fate-stay-night-staff-talk-1/
http://gigazine.net/news/20140908-fate-stay-night-staff-talk-2/

I glanced through it to look for interesting bits earlier, mostly just being really excited that Suhara is confirmed to have large role in the series. I just took the time to read through it all though, and there's quite a bit of interesting production stuff there, especially for fans of the Fate/Zero behind the scenes production stuff. I really like how Ufotable takes the time to showcase their internal staff too, even though many of them are young animators who don't really have much of a portfolio. It's pretty neat to see a studio being proud of developing and nurturing talent.

The part about not using camera effects isn't really just about speed. Tomonori Sudo (the main supervising animation director for the project) is talking about how Takahiro Miura (the director) is approaching action in the series. When they did Fate/Zero, they made it a point to always show the flow of the action. With Fate/Stay Night though, from the storyboard stage a lot of the action sequences are already much more flashy and over the top, but even so, there's a directive to ensure that the complete flow of the action is captured no matter how flashy it is. Sudo goes on to explain that they want to try accomplishing this without replying on the aid of camera or background effects to create intensity, allowing the actual action being animated to show off the intensity instead.

The comment seems to indicate that the digital team will be taking a much more subtle approach compared to Fate/Zero. This is later confirmed when the digital team joins the panel, and talks about how they'll be taking a bit of a backstage compared to the animation staff this time round, because there aren't as many situations in Fate/Stay Night where they can really show off (Berserker, the dogfight and giant monster at the start of season 2, and Rider's army at the end, etc). Instead they'll be focusing on doing as good as job as possible in the parts they need to (CG layouts, composite, CG elements, etc) complimenting the work of the animation staff.

The most interesting part of the staff talk for me is the confirmation that Takashi Suhara (director of F/Z ep4, 9, 16, 18) is totally dedicated to the project. Kondo even says he is Miura's right hand man on Fate/Stay Night. Suhara will be directing and storyboarding a number of episodes in the series. He says that he has storyboarded 2 and a half episodes so far, and Kondo suggests he'll be doing another 2 more (probably for the second season which starts next year). He confirms that what he's working on at the moment involves a lot of action, which is pretty good news considering he directed both Fate/Zero episodes with the Lancer vs Saber fights, and they turned out really well. If he's the right hand of the director, the episodes he's working on are probably pretty important ones too.

It was also nice reading thatToshiyuki Shirai will be making his episode directorial debut in Fate/Stay Night. He was an animation director on Fate/Zero, and he'll also be an animation director here in addition to directing and storyboarding some stuff. Takuya Aoki, a Ufotable animator who started out on in-betweening before being promoted to key animation, will also be making his debut as an animation director on Fate/Stay Night. It's really nice to see that Ufotable is continuing to do what they did with Fate/Zero - promoting young staff to more prominent staff roles even on a major production.

Hype. Plus they're doing the best route.

zulux21

akame ga kill 10
another enjoyable episode, the series is quickly rising up the ranks for the season as it's one of the only shows I feel is getting better instead of worse with each passing episodes this season.

I've had the Yami to Boushi OP theme stuck in my head for the past few days. I need to write my impressions so I can remove any thought of this anime from my mind.

zulux21

aldnoa zero 10 first 5 minutes

LOL mr emotionless really did
just save her with his mad cpr skills
*sighs and shakes head and continues watching*

edit: the second half of the episode was ok though.

Andrew J.

CorvoSol and Dynedom, you both make good points in that there are women in Gundam that don't fit within the negative categories that I defined. However, to reinforce my earlier point, you have to examine Tomino's greater body of work. While I'm hardly a Tomino scholar, a cursory glance through his catalogue will reveal that the 'bad', stereotypical women appear again and again throughout his catalogue of shows.

Now I'm curious*, how are women portrayed in Overman King Gainer?

*Insert Hyouka reference of your choosing.

Acid08

Banned
When I watched Zeta Gundam I was actually pretty repulsed by the way the female characters were handled(in fact I think I tweeted Corvo endlessly about this). More than any other Gundam series I've seen it focused so much on multiple female characters being "Lalah'd." I know that the whole thing with Lalah is pretty much a trope in Gundam now but Zeta Gundam is the worst to me because there are multiple instances of characters being introduced for no other reason than to die. Rosamia was only there to die, Four was only brought back to die again. Almost every important female character in that show dies so that Kamille could win in the end.

Thankfully nothing else I've seen has been as bad as that. Turn A is probably the strongest Gundam series for good female characters imo.

Clov

If you thought Zeta was bad for that, wait till you see Victory Gundam. I at least was able to enjoy Zeta in spite of its flaws. Can't say that at all for Victory Gundam.

Psycho-Pass - 01

An OK first episode. While I didn't really care for any of the characters, the concepts used in the show are actually pretty interesting/cool (though the Dominators themselves are ripped straight out of Judge Dredd). Visually it's not very impressive. The character designs aren't entirely captivating (with major focus on Akane here; I don't know, I think it's mainly here eyes that bother me), and the animation could be better. Those CG hands, though; wow, those stuck out a lot.

CorvoSol

Yeah the portrayal of women in Victory is probably Tomino's all-time low in Gundam. Marbet is like, the only good female character in the show and Tomino decides to compensate for that by crippling her 9/10ths of the series.

That said, for as bad as Tomino does, I still think AU Gundam does considerably worse. Even in well written shows like G Gundam, there are weak points (for instance there are only three female Gundam pilots in the show, and the oldest and most mature of them dies shortly after being introduced). Of course, G's women are vastly superior to AGE's, where women are as objectified as possible.

Woman in AGE flow-chart:

"Will you marry an Asuno?" Y/N Y-> This is your only role: to bear his children.
N-> Do you pilot something? Y/N N-> You must be family.
Y-> Are you taking orders from an Asuno? Y/N Y-> Congratulations you don't matter.
N-> Then he'll kill you.

Midonin

Sailor Moon 35-36

All this time I thought Silver Millennium was the name of the era, not the Moon Kingdom itself. That name is confusing! I'm familiar with the backstory, and since I compare everything to the toku version in my head, this is not the first time I've seen a Tuxedo Mask gone evil. Mostly, I'm glad that Minako is finally getting some room to breathe and be herself. Very pretty transform too, full of stars. After the plot kicked in while she was still being introduced, having her be a friend to Usagi is a chance to start establishing her character. Since she was the proto-Usagi herself.

Psycho-Pass - 01

An OK first episode. While I didn't really care for any of the characters, the concepts used in the show are actually pretty interesting/cool (though the Dominators themselves are ripped straight out of Judge Dredd). Visually it's not very impressive. The character designs aren't entirely captivating (with major focus on Akane here; I don't know, I think it's mainly here eyes that bother me), and the animation could be better. Those CG hands, though; wow, those stuck out a lot.

Akane's hair bothered me a bit too much. If living in a society that takes away psychopaths means having that haircut, it truly is a dystopia.

CorvoSol

I don't really think the mecha genre in general is all that kind to women, for a multitude of reasons.

It's interesting to look at it, though. Go Nagai is by no means the most progressive of men. God knows he loves objectifying women just about whenever he can. However, characters like Jun and Sayaka can be incredibly competent at times. Jun even manages to be equal to Tetsuya once or twice. And in Getter Robo, while numerous semi-human women (note: female members of humanoid, non-human species) do die rather frequently, Michiru has proven to be nearly as competent (if not more so than Benkei/Musashi) as her male counterparts and far more mentally stable.

I grant that the major founding series of the genre really struggle to get female characters down. I would assert, though, that Jun Hono and Michiru Saotome (TV versions) are some of the better written women in the genre, though.

While all of you talk about Tomino Gundams I'm going to just sit over here and watch the better one. :p

G Gundam - 19

Argo is my favourite of the Shuffle Alliance. That piercing gaze of his, man. I love those silent, big, brute force kind of characters.

Also, and this is just a guess, but
I've got a very good feeling that Schwarz is actually Domon's father. Like it feels really obvious, the fact that no one knows his face under his mask, the way he provokes Domon to train, the way he's watching over his training, etc. And there's also the fact that his dad's currently in a state of suspended animation (or something along those lines), so it would rule him out only to be revealed in a clever twist later on. It just feels like a good possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom