• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAO 20

Ra2ep1k.jpg

Everybody wants Kirito.

No wonder though since he managed to beat the supposedly strongest player in the game after less than a week of playing it.

Utena 16

This episode was so random. Nanami turned into a cow? LOL

kiryuu_nanami_01.png

This picture oddly reminded me of "melody of oblivion" ending ..i guess i've been scared for life.

I can i get a good show that uses cow girls or cows in general that isn't crap?
i want to wash away that feelign that is on the back of my mind for so many years ...

Jex

I do, however, feel that the other half of it, the part Narag suggested, about 80s Real Robot anime being a realist reaction to the idealism of 70s Super Robot anime, holds up though. None of it is as scathing a review of those shows as Neon Genesis Evangelion, but that the genre moved away from almost every working piece of the status quo strikes me as telling.

There is also a shift in market trends, I suppose. If gritty war stories were what sold then gritty war stories are what were going to get made. The question links back to what I've been pondering in that there's still the "why were those what sold?" going on.

I grant that all of this is a much larger and more sweeping topic than perhaps an anime thread ought to consider. It's definitely beyond the scope of a guy who hasn't even graduated college to answer it in any truly satisfactory way, but as someone who has an interest in what makes a culture tick at a given time, its a fun way to sort of look a little deeper at one of my hobbies.
You're right to question why market trends would move in that direction, but as Japan was in a booming post occupation economy it doesn't seem like people would be feeling the pinch economically. I still feel like some of it has to be people growing up watching anime during the 70's and then getting into the business to make their own, more mature stories.

zulux21

GODDAMIT.

I have no words.

------------------
NOzaki-kun - 07
The moral is : Figure out what you should say before you actually say it ?

NOzaki-kun - 08
Comedy is still high quality .
But.

I cannot explain the screenshot above ..... just watch the episode !

lady like a bull
being ridden by a man
hilarious no?

>.>
there explained in haiku form >.>

Articalys

It's kind of funny how pretty much every single other relationship in Nozaki-kun is stronger than the one between the two main characters.

SAO 21

Hm... Aren't these guys people? Why are they alien slugs in the game?

Oh... I see...

How come Suguha doesn't know that her brothers username in Sword Art Online was Kirito? She knows that Asuna was uh... Asuna. Or maybe there are tons of Kiritos around in Alfheim and she doesn't think it's strange that the character she's playing with is also named Kirito.

jman2050

It certainly feels like a classic case of 'protagonist is the worst character' syndrome.

I don't know, I feel like for this show that's like saying strawberry is the worst flavor in Neapolitan ice cream. Cause they're all good you see?

Also Chiyo is da best you shut your mouth

lady like a bull
being ridden by a man
hilarious no?

>.>
there explained in haiku form >.>
Not bad ..

Not bad at all.

It's kind of funny how pretty much every single other relationship in Nozaki-kun is stronger than the one between the two main characters.
It's the weakest but it's still high IMO.
Problem is that unless something change with the main heroine being able to say what she needs to or the MC being able to see past her behavior thanks to their experience , nothing will change.
I mean the confession was during the first minute of the first episode !
What in God's name went wrong with Melody of Oblivion, then?
A magnificent trolling.
17 episodes of world building that went nowhere + the last 5 episode that give you a feelign that there are answers to be told and then the LAST episode happenned.
It happenned.

Why.jpg

SAO 21

Hm... Aren't these guys people? Why are they alien slugs in the game?

Oh... I see...

How come Suguha doesn't know that her brothers username in Sword Art Online was Kirito? She knows that Asuna was uh... Asuna. Or maybe there are tons of Kiritos around in Alfheim and she doesn't think it's strange that the character she's playing with is also named Kirito.

The names of the players weren't disclosed. Information on "what happenned inside the game" wasn't made public so that grudges between players wouldn't happen IRL too.
Asuna is different because:
-She used her real name not an alias
-Kirito talked about her ( to his familly ).
The familly didn't ask about his alias And they don't know much on what happenned inside aincrad.( except the part about asuna )

The names of the players weren't disclosed. Information on "what happenned inside the game" wasn't made public so that grudges between players wouldn't happen IRL too.
Asuna is different because:
-She used her real name not an alias
-Kirito talked about her ( to his familly ).
The familly didn't ask about his alias And they don't know much on what happenned inside aincrad.( except the part about asuna )

Ah. Hm... This is explained in the LNs then? Or did I just miss a lot of stuff? :p

CorvoSol

You're right to question why market trends would move in that direction, but as Japan was in a booming post occupation economy it doesn't seem like people would be feeling the pinch economically. I still feel like some of it has to be people growing up watching anime during the 70's and then getting into the business to make their own, more mature stories.

I think part of this is I just flat out haven't ever bothered to learn much about Japanese history. I've sort of kept my studies in other parts of the world.

I'm not all that familiar with his work but it seems like weird fetish/paraphilia stuff is a staple of his.

I guess. But man, Melody of Oblivion is so damn boring.

Jex

1. I actually agree with more or less everything you had to say on Gundam Unicorn. I like the music more than you did, but I recognize that I'm one of like, 4 people in AnimeGAF who likes Sawano's cheesy, over the top, always bombastic style. The men in Unicorn tend to be flaky, insubstantial, and slaves to the plot. Although I liked Zimmerman, I felt Banagher was perhaps the most generic, distilled protagonist in the entire timeline. Whereas Kamille had his angst and Judau had his goofy antics to set them apart from Amuro, there doesn't seem to be anything that really does that for Banagher. And the less said about Riddhe the better, because I can't avoid breaking into a litany of profanities at the mere mention of his name. Also, Full Frontal. At the end of the show I was pretty disappointed in him. His master plan was evil economics and he just wound up being some weird combination of Char's characters without any of the punch that made him good in MSG and MSZG.
Because of length and time considerations I never really got to say my part about most of the characters in the show but yeah, Riddhe is a really garbage character. We're talking about a guy who has to go and sulk by ridding his horse around his giant mansion whenever girls turn down his proposals. What a tough life he has!

In the end, it really feels like the best cap on the Universal Century, and perhaps even Gundam in general has to be Turn A. Unlike Unicorn it actually has things to say about the nature of warfare and mankinds cycle of violence. Loran is the kind of protaganist you can see ending the franchise because he's doesn't need to go through a dumb character arc before he can act sensibly. Heck, Tomino doesn't even bother addressing any of that Newtype in the show, perhaps because he's already gone well beyond caring about it. There's even strong female characters!

Mr.Jeff

The Idolm@ster - 05
Beach episode and hot springs episode combined. Aren't they spoiling us. Nothing much of note happens as expected. Probably one of the better episodes because of the lack of idol stuff though. With so much free time though it's a miracle the company remains going.

Next episode, secretive developments!!!! Be still my heart.

Look at this shit. Asuna is barely in SAO II yet she ranks over Sinon as number #1.
Too bad Miyuki is now separated from her Oniisama
Sinon got robbed!

...Although I still do like Asuna pre-character-assasination.

Hi.

Welcome back

Fate/kaleid 2wei 10
i was starting to wonder what they were going to do with the rest 2wei's content. I guess 3rei will come in 2016.

Well it was a pretty awesome finale to Bazett's fight and the season overall felt dramatic yet fun. It felt actually serious at many times bridged together by some loli and yuri humor and fun pokes at the rest of the franchise.

Jex

I think part of this is I just flat out haven't ever bothered to learn much about Japanese history. I've sort of kept my studies in other parts of the world..

Well, you can hardly be blamed for that, it's not like it's a commonly discussed subject!

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 11

Just need a button to skip to next weeks Sharkbait episode for it is gonna be a fanfic dream come true.

This episode was pretty good on the drama, still just has to be hard to hear everyone else tell you to do something about your future all the time. Has to be annoying, felt sad for Haru.

Jex

I don't know, I feel like for this show that's like saying strawberry is the worst flavor in Neapolitan ice cream. Cause they're all good you see?

Also Chiyo is da best you shut your mouth

Chiyo is the best at being the worst, yes, I can agree with you on that.

CorvoSol

Because of length and time considerations I never really got to say my part about most of the characters in the show but yeah, Riddhe is a really garbage character. We're talking about a guy who has to go and sulk by ridding his horse around his giant mansion whenever girls turn down his proposals. What a tough life he has!

In the end, it really feels like the best cap on the Universal Century, and perhaps even Gundam in general has to be Turn A. Unlike Unicorn it actually has things to say about the nature of warfare and mankinds cycle of violence. Loran is the kind of protaganist you can see ending the franchise because he's doesn't need to go through a dumb character arc before he can act sensibly. Heck, Tomino doesn't even bother addressing any of that Newtype in the show, perhaps because he's already gone well beyond caring about it. There's even strong female characters!

I think, really, that Riddhe is sort of a major failing on the part of Unicorn. His character pretty much behaves like a spoiled brat throughout the show and gets off free for it. Meanwhile, Marida, who behaves like a human being, is pretty much tortured to death by it. It's especially galling that Riddhe gets off free after Marida had her window of hope with Zimmerman.

I like Turn A as a finale for the whole franchise, because it keeps a level head on about all kinds of stuff. It never goes as ridiculously hamfisted with its anti-war message as say, Wing, does.

Well, you can hardly be blamed for that, it's not like it's a commonly discussed subject!

Still, if I'm gonna open my mouth on it, I ought to educate myself some more, I suppose.

Speaking of Turn A Gundam, I see it is finally getting a Blu-ray release. First box on the 24th and then the second on Christmas. I want to know where War in the Pocket is. I very much want to revisit that.

Love Stage Episode 10 [end]
BxM2TMyIcAEiVME.png

Fantastic ending episode, glad there were none of those filters that were on characters earlier. Though the conclusion was nothing surprising to reach this point was worthwhile. Kuroi getting some lines in and
implied Rei and Shougo
was perfect.

Definitely one of the better BL anime once it got going and was continually engaging. Izumi was a weak lead though compared to some of the rest but the strong cast of Ryouma and Shougo really carried things forward and kept it fun. Definitely hope it sees US disc release.

jgminto

Love Stage!! 10 END
Gayyyyyyyyy! While I had some problems with a few things, it was a fun series. I always loved those cheesy romance endings too so it's nice to see that with a gay couple. I could have gone for a couple more episodes or even another season adapting the daytime soap-tier second half of the manga. There is one OVA episode left though.

Love Stage Episode 10 [end]
implied Rei and Shougo
was perfect.

It's not really implied, there's a whole side series about their relationship.

jbug617

Banned
Just got the latest update for Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter and they won't hit their schedule for shipping in early November.

Time of Eve is shipping on Monday (24th for International) for backers. Fan Book is coming out in November

Jex

Just got the latest update for Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter and they won't hit their schedule for shipping in early November.

Time of Eve is shipping on Monday (24th for International) for backers. Fan Book is coming out in November

In before "Well maybe if they spent less time writing backer updates!". Honestly, I'm not too fussed. Nothing I've backed, or even ordered lately has come out on time.

Nozaki-kun 10

DIS was the best date that could have happenned given the combinaison.
Gekkan%20Shoujo%20Nozaki-kun%20-%2010_01.jpg

Gekkan%20Shoujo%20Nozaki-kun%20-%2010_02.jpg

Best character ( i'm biased )
No one can understand that godess.

-The music for the songs during those parts was magnificent.

Finally somone has realised that Nozaki is taking obvious clues on his friends. they should expand on that...

PS: #killthetanukis

jbug617

Banned
In before "Well maybe if they spent less time writing backer updates!". Honestly, I'm not too fussed. Nothing I've backed, or even ordered lately has come out on time.

they said they are going to upgrade the packaging but that's coming in another update.

cajunator

Banned
This picture oddly reminded me of "melody of oblivion" ending ..i guess i've been scared for life.

I can i get a good show that uses cow girls or cows in general that isn't crap?
i want to wash away that feelign that is on the back of my mind for so many years ...

Ahahaha. Melody of Oblivion was quite something. I think I agree now. Nanamis cow scene is kinda ruined.

Sentai announced that they got the home video rights to Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei!
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-licenses-fatekaleid-liner-pr

There is justice in this world.

Clov

There is justice in this world.

Not while The Tatami Galaxy still lacks a DVD/BD release over here!

Surprised it took Sentai so long to announce this, really. It was pretty obvious that they would get it from the start, given how they grab anything Fate related that Aniplex doesn't have.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Ultra Sakura 31

Big and Create in one episode. I think someone on the staff must've done this solely so Sakura could become Ultraman for an episode. The book that can turn anything in it into reality also reminds me of a Jackie Chan Adventures episode, only with less goofing around and more Naoko trying to make her stories into reality without knowing it. I like the detail that the book had the same dimensions and styling as a Clow Card as a hint to its true origins. Really nice costume, too. The color scheme of it looks vaguely Angelic Layer-ish.

rrvv

even Indian can understand Japanese now

Symphogear G 01
I like how the simply go straight to point which is DECLARATION OF WAR!

YuWnLCol.png

why girl still using high heels again?
Symphogear G 02

weaponise twintail is soo cool.

not as cool as weaponise hand holding thought

Fate Kaleid prisma Ilya 2wei - 10

Bazet is great, is there any doubt , now ?
As for the rest , is was ..an obvious place to stop , and teh fact that it stops now is less painfull than before since the 2nd part of the 2wei saga was annonced.

Hopefully they will have enough steam to go and adapt the 3rei saga afterwards , but we're looking at 2016 at this point.
It was a nice conclusion: they did Rin Vs luvia scene pretty well.
Are they really rivals?

Things to look forward for 2wei S2:
-8th card
-Beach arc
( including the excellent truth serum chapter )
-Miyu reveals
-More Kuro
-More Bazet
-More money for what is a non stop serie of fights
SPOILER -
Mongrels !!

2015 has a must see anime in my list already

sonicmj1

You would think that there'd be no need to indulge in any sort of apocalyptic thinking at the height of Japan's global status relative to the rest of the world. But then again, even looking outside of the mecha genre, the 80s brought us stories like Nausicaa and Akira, or even Ghost in the Shell, tales told against the backdrop of impossibly catastrophic wars. Some of it might be tied to the nuclear paranoia of the Cold War, but perhaps more specifically, I think there was a kind of skepticism of how the established order could last. Maybe this was a psychic scar of the growth of Japan's empire in WWII, its catastrophic collapse punctuated by the bomb, and the nation's renewal into an economic powerhouse; or maybe it's something culturally deeper, a Buddhist look at the cycles of life, the result of living in a nation routinely battered by natural disaster. But either way, there's a common theme of a natural peak of human triumph being shattered, either by the karmic forces of nature or by mankind's own greed and lust for greater power.

Maybe I'm just selfishly extending some thesis I wrote for a college class on Japanese pop culture that compared the Akira film and Ryu Murakami's "Coin Locker Babies", both stories about a pair of disaffected orphaned youths taking apocalyptic revenge on the society that spurned them. I wish I'd done more historical research on it, because it's a cool idea. But I think there is a common theme in a lot of 80s work about youths having to save the world, sometimes violently, from the chaos and suffering created by the adults that have corrupted it. I don't have any real experience with this kind of 80s mecha, but I feel like I've read about Tomino being motivated by just this sort of concern.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sinon got robbed!

...Although I still do like Asuna pre-character-assasination.

Hi.

Welcome back :D

======================================================================

Anime Mirai 2014 Chronos

It's not that good to be honest. The execution feel so lacking in so many level. The concept of protag seeing death god is not the most original thing ever, and the conflict between death god feel so sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom