• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

But I think there is a common theme in a lot of 80s work about youths having to save the world, sometimes violently, from the chaos and suffering created by the adults that have corrupted it. I don't have any real experience with this kind of 80s mecha, but I feel like I've read about Tomino being motivated by just this sort of concern.

It's definitely a pretty common theme in Universal Century Gundam. Zeta, ZZ and F91 all have characters who complain about "adult logic" and "adult ways of thinking" being problematic and interfering with humans reaching a true understanding. The final battle of ZZ Gundam is fought almost entirely by young people. Its oldest participants, aren't beyond 30 in age, I think. So I think you could make an argument that the theme of young people suffering because of their elders is extent. Layzner centers on children who are the victims of the avarice and foolishness of adults, for instance. However I don't know that that same talk can be applied to shows like VOTOMS and Macross as strongly.

Andrew J.

Prisma Illya 2wei 10 END

The fight ends in a draw, more or less, and we get some nice domestic scenes with Illya's friends and family. I never really doubted that a continuation would be produced, but it's nice to hear anyway. I hope Herz airs in the winter season; that'll give us consecutive cours of Fate shows, I believe, alternating with the new UBW adaptation.

Gag of the week:
Rin and Luvia putting out friendly faces to each other while still being as hostile to each other as ever, if not more so.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA 2wei! END

Having read the manga I already knew what was coming but it was still great to watch either way.
Can't wait for S3 next year.

jbug617

Banned
Credit to WTK. Here is how the HSOD Collectors Set looks like.

5oLmNNs.jpg

G Gundam - 25

Ok, technically this is where the first half ends, seeing as OP2 starts playing in the next episode.

Episode was mostly a clip show, and this is kind of annoying for me. It's one thing to make an entire episode a clip show, but when you put in important scenes in the same episode it can get kinda troublesome skipping throughout all the stock footage to the main story.

Still, lot of crazy Gundam designs to marvel at (the GOAT Windmill Gundam being one of them) and
there apparently being two Master Asias now. Like seriously, unless he has the speed of Sonic the freaking Hedgehog, which I wouldn't be surprised if he did, I'm inclined to believe that there were two of them in that arena. One behind the Prime Minister and the one that entered.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Episode 22
tumblr_nbptzcMs3b1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Awkward pose for her design but pretty good comments in the duel about Yuuya-oniichan's future in both this battle and potentially beyond.

I love Ritual Summons so I kind of love her whole deck theme built around it.
sad for our favorite Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon though hopefully this duel he wont continually be defeated like in the previous match at the cooking school

Articalys

I never did really stop to think about it but a significant percentage of this thread's population must be college students. At least that would explain the drastic decline in thread activity on weekdays, even accounting for the fact that there's not many shows airing Mon-Wed.

santeesioux

I never did really stop to think about it but a significant percentage of this thread's population must be college students. At least that would explain the drastic decline in thread activity on weekdays, even accounting for the fact that there's not many shows airing Mon-Wed.

There's a decent amount of people in their 30s too if i remember right.

G Gundam - 27

Holy shit at that dislocation scene. It did the freaking Mortal Kombat thing for a second where you see the bone inside of his body moving off.

CorvoSol

G Gundam - 25

Ok, technically this is where the first half ends, seeing as OP2 starts playing in the next episode.

Episode was mostly a clip show, and this is kind of annoying for me. It's one thing to make an entire episode a clip show, but when you put in important scenes in the same episode it can get kinda troublesome skipping throughout all the stock footage to the main story.

Still, lot of crazy Gundam designs to marvel at (the GOAT Windmill Gundam being one of them) and
there apparently being two Master Asias now. Like seriously, unless he has the speed of Sonic the freaking Hedgehog, which I wouldn't be surprised if he did, I'm inclined to believe that there were two of them in that arena. One behind the Prime Minister and the one that entered.

Master Asia got his face shoved in the dirt by Domon and his hair turned bright white during the fight. He manages to make it to Hong Kong, clean his clothing, change his hair color back to gray, and swallow a heaping dose of "Fuck Yes I am Awesome" before Domon ever gets there.

I'd say Sonic wants to move at the speed of Master Asia.

Master Asia got his face shoved in the dirt by Domon and his hair turned bright white during the fight. He manages to make it to Hong Kong, clean his clothing, change his hair color back to gray, and swallow a heaping dose of "Fuck Yes I am Awesome" before Domon ever gets there.

I'd say Sonic wants to move at the speed of Master Asia.

That's entirely plausible yes.

But I can't shake the feeling that *SPOILERS FOR G GUNDAM EPISODE 23-24*
there's some sort of cloning machine thing going on here. I mean, Schwarz seems to be Kyouji, as hinted after the fight.

There's also the fact that Master Asia's attitude in the tournament seems to have...changed a bit. He just feels different. Very interested to see where the show goes with it.

cajunator

Banned
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Episode 22
tumblr_nbptzcMs3b1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Awkward pose for her design but pretty good comments in the duel about Yuuya-oniichan's future in both this battle and potentially beyond.

I love Ritual Summons so I kind of love her whole deck theme built around it.
sad for our favorite Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon though hopefully this duel he wont continually be defeated like in the previous match at the cooking school

That is some crazy character design

Syrinx

Earth Maiden Arjuna 10

10 episodes in doesn't seem like the right time to introduce us to Tokio's dad and also have him be the head of some major chemical company destroying the planet and using cancer cells in their research to break down petroleum or whatever (since I guess the first part wasn't evil enough). But whatever.

cajunator

Banned
Earth Maiden Arjuna 10

10 episodes in doesn't seem like the right time to introduce us to Tokio's dad and also have him be the head of some major chemical company destroying the planet and using cancer cells in their research to break down petroleum or whatever (since I guess the first part wasn't evil enough). But whatever.

I was hoping episode 9 would draw a more spirited response from you. This means you are desensitized to bad anime :(

I just want to state something after rapping up Sharin no Kuni and replaying G-senjou no Maou over the past week.

I'm confidant enough to say that both had potential to make for a good anime.

I'm also confidant enough to say that I doubt any studio could make a proper adaption.

Articalys

I've always been mildly irritated by adaptations of VNs that don't have a true ending, since I like stories to be complete. The only way to make that sort of thing work is like how Amagami handled it, though for more complex stories that's not really feasible.

I realize this covers FSN as well, though the bigger problem for me there is that FZ created a unified background with plot hooks that, by necessity, lead into each separate route of FSN, so it's impossible to resolve everything from FZ with one story. At least I think so.

Branduil

Chaika the Coffin Princess 5

ibxX0bNWD5R1Ai.jpg

Yep it's the screencap that everybody posts.

I'm seeing double. Four Chaikas! Clearly they are the emperor's horcruxes or whatever.

Show continues to walk the path of "competent" with decent fights while showing little ambition of being anything more.

Theonik

I've always been mildly irritated by adaptations of VNs that don't have a true ending, since I like stories to be complete. The only way to make that sort of thing work is like how Amagami handled it, though for more complex stories that's not really feasible.

I realize this covers FSN as well, though the bigger problem for me there is that FZ created a unified background with plot hooks that, by necessity, lead into each separate route of FSN, so it's impossible to resolve everything from FZ with one story. At least I think so.
Just do a 12 episode series then release an OVA for every girl.

Defuser

Or we are working adults who ain't got time or too tired to post.

This is what happens when so many anime are just glorified advertisements. Most VN adaptations nowadays are just commercials that don't adapt any route.

dan2026

Over the last few days I have been trying to watch my way through Fate/Stay Night.
But I don't think I'll finish it.

Shirou has to be one of the most obnoxious, generic protagonists I have seen in a long time.

/XX/

Coming by again to request you guys to join me in another hopeful, and probably unfruitful, quest in search of the mythical Blue Uru (or better said Uru in Blue) and another actual proof of its existence; tomorrow commences the German event Connichi 2014 and the habitual guest of honour of it that is Hiroyuki Yamaga of course isn't going to miss it! One cool thing is that trusty Manganimation.net staffer Rukawa is going to attend and bring us information first-hand:

Avec Yamaga & Shimamoto, en 2014 c'est une Connichi de Feu ! - News - Manganimation.net, Manga Anime, news & reviews
http://www.manganimation.net/news/2014/09/avec-yamaga-shimamoto-en-2014-c-est-une-connichi-de-feu

Although having Mr. Shimamoto there too also gives expectations about the possible Aoi Honō animated adaptation which Takami Akai mentioned that Mr. Shimamoto himself wanted to make along GAiNAX. Just look at them and their complicit smiles and you just know they are planning something in the meantime. :-D

In resume, let's all dream a little one more time!
And maybe suffer a little one more time too reminding us again of what exactly is happening with Ghost Rhapsody (https://twitter.com/Duune99/status/494221550737195008).

Phatmac

Over the last few days I have been trying to watch my way through Fate/Stay Night.
But I don't think I'll finish it.

Shirou has to be one of the most obnoxious, generic protagonists I have seen in a long time.
He's kind of redeemed through the different routes in the VN but for the most part the saber route is an awful representation of his personality. He's not a great protagonist in general but his deconstruction of his own morales is interesting to see in UBW and HF routes.

dan2026

He's kind of redeemed through the different routes in the VN but for the most part the saber route is an awful representation of his personality. He's not a great protagonist in general but his deconstruction of his own morales is interesting to see in UBW and HF routes.
They are doing a new anime of Fate soon aren't they?
With a diffetent route?

Hopefully he will be better in that.
Or a least there will be less of his boring ass.

rrvv

everything is possible with friendship and song

Symphogear G 10-13 [END]

Well that certainly fun watch even thought it just generic black and white fight along with power of friendship
it kinda suffer repetition like "Hibiki you must not fight!" or "Dr Vers showing his evilness ". still nevertheless I enjoy it since incresed budget in fight scene

Phatmac

They are doing a new anime of Fate soon aren't they?
With a diffetent route?

Hopefully he will be better in that.
Or a least there will be less of his boring ass.
They're doing UBW which is my favorite so it'll probably be good. The people that are did Fate/Zero are working on it so here's hoping that it's good.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 376
BxPsXtUCIAAcP57.jpg

Todays Shippuden filler is too hilarious, the faces the characters make when Mecha Naruto defeats them is way too hilarious. Poor Shikamaru but even others. Definitely one of the funnest fillers in a while.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 377
BxPvAbiCQAAsncx.jpg

Just as funny as the first one, Deidara teasing Gaara so much that Gaara fled was the funniest part of the episode. Otherwise pretty great and entertaining
Naruto in Mecha Naruto was stunning

Also seems CC2 staff were watching the episode too based on the twitter posts. Hope this helped to sell the game some, or at least get people interested since thats why Mecha Naruto was animated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom