• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

No one ever talks backgrounds anymore if it isn't Pablo or Shinkai. That looks great though.
Who did the backgrounds for Katanagatari? Why haven't they won massive piles of awards?
Regarding awards... only the best of the best are worth of an Emmy Award, so ATELIER MUSA wins! :p

Now seriously, someone may remember that I appreciate a lot the work of ex-Studio Bihō employee and founder of bamboo Co.Ltd., Yusuke Takeda, because of how the background art he supervises always adapts excellently to the necessities of the productions in many different ways (The Eccentric Family with the clever three-dimensionality achieved in favour of the composition, the vignetted very soft preciosity of Reaching You, the strangely textured semi-realism of Eden of the East), but I'd say in comparison some of the work by ATELIER MUSA's Shigemi Ikeda like their MARVEL projects is all about brute-forcing exquisite detail in a way the drab settings and contrasty colour design outlines it even better. For example, the outstanding background designs of mechanical elements from Iron Man: Rise of Technovore are rich beyond words.

Andrew J.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 27/Last 30 minutes of Lagann-Hen

I feel like saying a lot here would be overmuch, and sort of contrary to the style of the show, so let me simply suffice with the statement that if Neon Genesis Evangelion is meant to subvert and deconstruct the Super Robot genre, then Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is meant to epitomize the very heart and soul of it.

I don't disagree, but I feel like it's doing a disservice to the history of the genre to go straight from Eva to Gurren Lagann without discussing what GaoGaiGar did to to rekindle appreciation for that old-fashioned "Hero fights monster of the week in a machine built and maintained by his dad" style as well.

cajunator

Banned
The Devil is a Part Timer - END

230px-The_Devil_Is_a_Part-Timer%21_Blu-ray_Cover.png

That was a really fun anime! To keep things short: The main characters were all fantastic, the narrative was funny and facetious (even the dramatic episodes were dripping with self awareness), the script was phenomenal, the OST was notable because it made mundane scenarios hilarious by playing dramatic music, and overall it was a relaxing experience.

The show's premise and Maou & Alsiel's growth makes me think of that old saying.

"It's not who you were yesterday, but who you'll be tomorrow that matters."

PS: I hope to god that Best girl Chiho won last years Best girl of the year award.

She was definitely the best in that show, but she had some serious competition for actual best girl of the season.

Hey, could anyone recommend me some good anime shorts or short OVA/ONAs? I just rewatched Furiko (one of the very few things that makes me tear up every time I see it. I didn't even cry for After Story!), and it struck me that I haven't really gone on a shorts binge in a long time.

Watch Memories.

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 370

Suigetsu was the best part about all that ninja technobabble. At least Naruto will get one more shot at punching the biggest dirtbag of all shounen dads. I'll it my eat my hat if watching "Sasuke's path" is all there is to Orochimaru's purpose.

Still no clue on how Madara survived.

Sword Art Online II 2

The few pandering shots aside, this wasn't quite bad. Whatever else it's faults the production values are sure there. The lack of blood, disappearing bodies and the general mmorpginess bother me less here than in the bits of part one I trawled through, probably because it was all guns instead of swords. Will have to check cuts from first season on sakugabooru.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I would have to catch south park when it airs. And also watch all those ads. Which means I couldn't marathon it. SPS had very few ads every now and again. Not nearly as bad as hulu.

I'll probably consider buying blu rays at this point.

Pretty much the only legal way at this point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Problem with half these plans is that in a world that is apparently becoming more universally connected media seems to be more and more restricted. I mean shows on CrunchyRoll are sometimes not available in the UK despite no need to translate, or shows are randomly delayed in parts of Europe by a month.

And then they wonder why people pirate.

And no, I don't care about licensing. As an end user that means nothing to me and is an excuse not even worth wiping my arse with.

Yes, I'm still sour about YuruYuri BDs and region blocking on a media that can be region free. Also double checking Amazon UK for YuruYuri (in case they somehow popped up in the UK without my knowledge) resulted in a top result I did not expect... yikes.

Licensing issues have never been in favor of legal consumers. It's such a fucking hassle. Life should be made easier for people willing to pay for watching shows and movies legally. Life would be so much easier if funi didn't need to have their own fucking streaming rights in the us. Just cut a deal with Crunchyroll or something. If prices go a bit higher due to this I'm fine with that. I doubt people would bend over and take it if prices get ridiculous though look at the shit storms with Netflix.

Meanwhile pirates go along without a care in the fucking world when all their shit is in the same site hassle free. HBO wonders why people pirate game of thrones. Maybe offer it for people without HBO on tv brehs.

Taruranto

I've been meaning to watch Utopia since its original broadcast - is it any good? All I know is it has lots of violence and a mysterious precognitive comic book (is that right?).

I didn't like it, but I'm basically the only person I know who didn't. Everyone seems to love it.

Necrovex

Licensing issues have never been in favor of legal consumers. It's such a fucking hassle. Life should be made easier for people willing to pay for watching shows and movies legally. Life would be so much easier if funi didn't need to have their own fucking streaming rights in the us. Just cut a deal with Crunchyroll or something. If prices go a bit higher due to this I'm fine with that. I doubt people would bend over and take it if prices get ridiculous though look at the shit storms with Netflix.

Meanwhile pirates go along without a care in the fucking world when all their shit is in the same site hassle free. HBO wonders why people pirate game of thrones. Maybe offer it for people without HBO on tv brehs.

Plus depending on the streams and such, pirates may get a better quality of the video without any stuttering.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And no, I don't care about licensing. As an end user that means nothing to me and is an excuse not even worth wiping my arse with.

The problem is the transitive of this is true... It's not really their (original studio's, or say US licensee's) problem that you can't watch it.. Complain to the EU/UK company who isn't licensing it, etc, etc, etc.

People forget that the internet is global, but most of these companies still are not. Licensing means someone who is NOT the original company putting in some sort of effort to get the title over here (wherever here actually is). When you say "no need to be translated" often that's because it was translated by the licensed company which would mean what... releasing their work in the UK for the heck of it? Of course if Funimation translated it, why doesn't Funimation just release it in the UK? Well more than likely because IF Funimation operates in the UK (not even sure on that one) it is absolutely a different company.

The internet is global, governments are not. And as long as that is the case in many/most cases stuff will need to be licensed and distributed by a locally operating company/branch/licensee/etc. In rare cases this has been worked around.. Bandai releasing GBF to YouTube handling the translations themselves and not really operating as a US company with revenue derived directly from the airing.. but again that is a very rare exception, not the rule (and largely able to be done because the goal is to ultimately sell gundam, which will be imported into the respective countries, meaning they still don't have to do anything)

All valid points. The problem is that Crunchyroll and Funimation ultimately have two different goals and business models :( However Funimation, through it's agreement with Hulu, often does put its simulcasts and a decent chunk of its back catalog on Hulu as well through its Funimation channel.

The whole concept of licensing is absolutely a mess.. but until countries make it easier for companies to operate in multiple countries at one time (especially media companies) it's not going to change.

well, except for the HBO situation. Just file that under the ~5 year old tug-o-war between cable companies and cord cutters. Right now there is more revenue on the cable co's tables than on the cord cutters' tables.. It's shifting, and once there is more money being left on the cord cutters' table expect HBO to open up cable-less subscriptions. My guess is less than 5 years (I said 5 years last year and it looks like it may be sooner than that)

The internet is global, governments are not. And as long as that is the case in many/most cases stuff will need to be licensed and distributed by a locally operating company/branch/licensee/etc. In rare cases this has been worked around..

Bandai releasing GBF to YouTube handling the translations themselves and not really operating as a US company with revenue derived directly from the airing.. but again that is a very rare exception, not the rule (and largely able to be done because the goal is to ultimately sell gundam, which will be imported into the respective countries, meaning they still don't have to do anything)

GBF on YouTube is not available everywhere though.

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

The only thing that I could actually see vastly improving anime distribution in the west and increasing revenue (for the creators) by a large amount is... Steam somehow jumping on the video distribution, perhaps even just anime at first (as that's more of a niche that they can fill).

I mean more and more VNs are coming out on Steam if I'm not mistaken and I imagine that can become quite the success.

Steam simply has such a huge userbase that, to a large degree, would at least not be opposed to the idea of watching anime. The infrastructure is somewhat there, although adding videostreaming is of course another monster on top of what they already have, so I'd imagine that would be one of the major concerns.

And the thing is, the Steam service is still, all things considered, fricking great compared to others. The userbase would certainly be willing to pay reasonable prices for anime and who knows, maybe incorporating anime into steam sells as well...

Oh well, I'll just keep on dreaming, it's not gonna happen :(

One other complicated issue would be how dubbing and subbing plays all into that.

Tenumi

Banned
Senki Zesshou Symphogear: 04

Well, that suddenly took a turn for the creepy dark.

Some flashbacks before getting back to the action, and a near-sacrifice later, we're down to one able person to fight off the Noise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The problem is the transitive of this is true... It's not really their (original studio's, or say US licensee's) problem that you can't watch it.. Complain to the EU/UK company who isn't licensing it, etc, etc, etc.

But it is. I mean I'm not the one starting a campaign trying to point people to legal streams. If you looked at that database site you'd see they are already pointing to many US exclusive services and even CrunchyRoll links aren't a guarantee is many shows on their are also region locked. If someone wants a show, and they can't get it legally, their choices are write to every local companies pleading for them to license a show and then waiting, spoofing their IP address or pirating it. I don't think anyone is going to bother with the first option. The second one is also seen as illegal and services like Netflix have tried to crack down on it.

I know government is a hurdle with certain content laws that need to be appeased (see Germany for everything under the sun), but at the end of the day none of this is my concern. The end user is selfish and only cares about getting content. The companies should be lobbying for less restrictions on releasing goods abroad. But like the individual, companies only want to take the easy option.

Let's see... Napster was released 1999 and is commonly sourced are the start of music sharing, and it's safe to say it was around before then, and we're now in 2014. So 15+ years the public at large have engaged in piracy to the point that many don't even consider the legal implications of it. This is the reality these companies have to face. Honestly all I can say at this point is good luck to them, because they need it.

Of course we're talking about companies that thought the best way to tackle piracy was to put anti piracy ads on legally bought DVDs resulting only in the moral consumer being punished.

TUSR

Banned
I just want to give someone money so I can watch things and support the studio who produced it. Why you gotta make this hard?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just want to give someone money so I can watch things and support the studio who produced it. Why you gotta make this hard?

At least figurines aren't region locked... oh no I just gave them an idea!

I blame all the pondering.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
But it is. I mean I'm not the one starting a campaign trying to point people to legal streams. If you looked at that database site you'd see they are already pointing to many US exclusive services and even CrunchyRoll links aren't a guarantee is many shows on their are also region locked. If someone wants a show, and they can't get it legally, their choices are write to every local companies pleading for them to license a show and then waiting, spoofing their IP address or pirating it. I don't think anyone is going to bother with the first option. The second one is also seen as illegal and services like Netflix have tried to crack down on it.

I know government is a hurdle with certain content laws that need to be appeased (see Germany for everything under the sun), but at the end of the day none of this is my concern. The end user is selfish and only cares about getting content. The companies should be lobbying for less restrictions on releasing goods abroad. But like the individual, companies only want to take the easy option.

Let's see... Napster was released 1999 and is commonly sourced are the start of music sharing, and it's safe to say it was around before then, and we're now in 2014. So 15+ years the public at large have engaged in piracy to the point that many don't even consider the legal implications of it. This is the reality these companies have to face. Honestly all I can say at this point is good luck to them, because they need it.

Of course we're talking about companies that thought the best way to tackle piracy was to put anti piracy ads on legally bought DVDs resulting only in the moral consumer being punished.
it's not about releasing content (or inability to). Toei Animation is a Japanese company. They do Sailor Moon Crystal. Presumably the reason they are doing Sailor Moon Crystal is because they want to (somehow) make money off of it when people watch it. Advertising. Paid streaming. DVDs, BDs, etc. They can make money in these ways in Japan because they are a Japanese company.

But you want Sailor Moon Crystal released in the UK. I'm sure they're not against that either because presumably you are willing to give them money (somehow) to see it, and they would love your money. The problem now comes though that a Japanese company who operates solely in Japan can't really make money in the UK as the UK has no control or regulation (or most importantly taxation) over a Japanese company. Again it's not because the UK won't let Toei Animation release SMC in the UK, but because the UK CAN'T allow Toei Animation to make money off of SMC, or more importantly if they did have no way of seeing a cut of that revenue.

This is where licensees come in. They are domestic companies (in this case a UK company) that take a share of the workload to bring a piece of media over to that country/area, are entitled to see revenue from doing so, and in return.. hey look at that!!! The country is now within right to tax that revenue and see money also!

So that's what I mean when I said "it's really not their problem, too bad for you." Because the only way they can get around this is either a) get a licensee (what you are already complaining about), or b) start up their own operating company in EVERY single country in the world bitching because they didn't get release X released locally. Just not realistic.

I mean I'm not saying "shut up." or "your wrong". Just pointing out that "I'm the customer. I don't care and am selfish. They need to cater to the customer." really won't get you anywhere, especially saying it to them. They agree with you most likely. But again while the internet is global, things like domestic laws and taxation, foreign imports, forgeing operating companies, etc.. aren't anywhere near that global. That's not a change in the media industry that has to happen.. That's a change in interntational trade agreements and such.

and this is exactly the point. Don't think for a second that said company doesn't want to TAKE your money and let you watch it. But if Japanese Company A accepted UK Citizen B's money to watch a show... the UK government (department of revenue or whatever) would be PISSED that you, as a UK citizen, spent money that they legally had no way or right to tax. Japanese Company A, in the government's view, just took money right out of their pocket.

TUSR

Banned
I've already packed up all my anime and transferred my internet to my new house and I don't officially get the keys until late tonight.

I can't even stream or watch anime because of phone tethering and Canadian data plans.

I've already packed up all my anime and transferred my internet to my new house and I don't officially get the keys until late tonight.

I can't even stream or watch anime because of phone tethering and Canadian data plans.
I'm so sorry. That sounds horrible.

having to live in Canada

Edit you'll never guess which shows are considered the best among the anime community in kotaku.

http://tay.kotaku.com/poll-the-best-anime-of-summer-2014-1613853813/+richard-eisenbeis

Hint: it isn't barakamon or nozaki kun

mankoto

Re:Hamatora 4
It appears that Honey's minimum has a really bad side effect that might be here to stay. It looks like Birthday and Ratio are messed up too, although their side effects aren't nearly as bad.

Re:Hamatora 4
It appears that Honey's minimum has a really bad side effect that might be here to stay. It looks like Birthday and Ratio are messed up too, although their side effects aren't nearly as bad.
I thought it was interesting
how at the end no lesson was taught to her father about his view and how his last words felt more like foreshadowing rather than the complaining of an old man.

Ojamajo Doremi 2-3

Looks like the trio is all here. Even though I do like them all, I still favor Doremi since I love characters like her the best as leads. Looks like this is also one of those magical girl shows that will show them trying to solove people's problems with magic which I like as will. I do curse YuuYuu for convincing me to pick up such a long series, however.

lCsBE2p.jpg

Quasar

i
and this is exactly the point. Don't think for a second that said company doesn't want to TAKE your money and let you watch it. But if Japanese Company A accepted UK Citizen B's money to watch a show... the UK government (department of revenue or whatever) would be PISSED that you, as a UK citizen, spent money that they legally had no way or right to tax. Japanese Company A, in the government's view, just took money right out of their pocket.

Thats just silly. Internet retail is built on that exact idea of companies in country A selling goods and services to people in countries B, C and D. Amazon being a prime example.

The issues we face are just historical overhang and old copyright industry players trying to prop up existing business models.

fertygo

Aria the Animation - 12

Shyamalantwist.jpg

Wow that came out from left field, dayum... I don't expecting dem feels delivered this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom