• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Ojamajo Doremi 4

This episode exists because it has to exist so all our primary characters can be apprentice witches, but it doesn't quite have the elegance of the episodes before it.

It's not a bad episode. Seeing everyone experiment with magic shows the viewer what Hazuki and Aiko will be like as witches. The art maintains its trademark exaggerated energy. It's fun to watch Doremi proudly explain the rules of magic to her friends. It just lacks the emotional core that made episodes 2 and 3 as good as they were. That's a hard thing to deliver on every episode, though.

i3R9OwXj2UUVR.jpg
ix7MKLWBy0I6W.jpg

I wonder how they'll run that magic shop. I don't think employing elementary school kids is any more legal in Japan than it is anywhere else.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 93

Been a while since there was an Ichigo and Seira episode. Seira's really mellowed out by this point, compared to early in the show, and seeing her trade places with Ichigo was a nice showing of how far their understanding has come. The new WM song was also pretty sweet - it's no Suncatcher, but it's still pretty listenable. The end of an Aikatsu era is quickly closing in.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thats just silly. Internet retail is built on that exact idea of companies in country A selling goods and services to people in countries B, C and D. Amazon being a prime example.

The issues we face are just historical overhang and old copyright industry players trying to prop up existing business models.

physical goods can be (and are) subject to tariffs and/or customs. those laws have not caught up to electronic goods yet.

and using amazon as a reference also side-steps the issue as amazon currently operates based in 12 countries, not counting the additional countries covered by trade agreements with those 12.

mankoto

I thought it was interesting
how at the end no lesson was taught to her father about his view and how his last words felt more like foreshadowing rather than the complaining of an old man.
You mean how
he called her a defect?
I can honestly see that as the main focus of the next few episodes

Problem with half these plans is that in a world that is apparently becoming more universally connected media seems to be more and more restricted. I mean shows on CrunchyRoll are sometimes not available in the UK despite no need to translate, or shows are randomly delayed in parts of Europe by a month.

And then they wonder why people pirate.

And no, I don't care about licensing. As an end user that means nothing to me and is an excuse not even worth wiping my arse with.

Yes, I'm still sour about YuruYuri BDs and region blocking on a media that can be region free. Also double checking Amazon UK for YuruYuri (in case they somehow popped up in the UK without my knowledge) resulted in a top result I did not expect... yikes.

Agreed 1200%
I'm still sour too
Godammit i still have those blu-rays.. so happy to have them and then the lock... ;-;

Happiness charge Precure - 26

I expected a classic MOTW episode and i got much more than that .
If it wasn't obvious , Happiness charge has great animation , i'm really enjoying seeing all of that. Toei is really pushing things in the right direction. Seiji fight was really well done.

And Hime , she just kicked the terribad in the face and finished him with a double headbut.

*Bow*

Happiness.Charge.Precure.26.jpg

All this teasing ..hime is just so naughty.

Hime & Seiji in the forest was funny , but hime & seiji on the train was the perfect setup- for one hell of a next episode ..I hope they will deliver on the comedy

Midonin

Glasslip 05

Even with all the love triangles going around, this show remains a more placid atmoshere than some of PA's previous anime. That scene of Touko resting underneath the trees, a good minute or so without any dialogue at all, was a really nice sequence. The end of the episode's love confession just might shake things up. Especially if the next episode preview is anything to go by.

santeesioux

well, except for the HBO situation. Just file that under the ~5 year old tug-o-war between cable companies and cord cutters. Right now there is more revenue on the cable co's tables than on the cord cutters' tables.. It's shifting, and once there is more money being left on the cord cutters' table expect HBO to open up cable-less subscriptions. My guess is less than 5 years (I said 5 years last year and it looks like it may be sooner than that)

Getting HBO Go and my favorite nba team on the NBA Gametime app without being blacked out will be what finally allows me to get rid of tv and go fully to streaming. With Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Youtube, and sports on streaming there wouldn't be enough on cable/satellite to justify the price.

Crocodile

Apparently Science Saru (that new studio Yuasa and Choi founded) has a Tumblr?

You can see art from Dandy episode 16 as well as a tiny bit about the Ping Pong animation process on their page right now.

Kikirin

The Devil is a Part Timer - END

[...] the OST was notable because it made mundane scenarios hilarious by playing dramatic music

THE BEST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJMD3eO7tpE

borghe said:
[knowledge]

Wanted to mention that your explanations of the obstacles to global digital releases/sales of anime is enlightening. Seeing the bigger picture makes it easier to be more understanding of the delays and restrictions, as inconvenient as they may be.

Dragoshi1

Precure All Stars New Stage 3: Ein no Tomodachi

That. was amazing.

Marine still holding her place as BEST Precure, the action was over the top, the villain was menacing(dat death scene), and a nice return for some characters from the previous two New Stage movies.

Princess sounded a bit off, though. Did she have a different VA for the movie?

cajunator

Banned
Problem with half these plans is that in a world that is apparently becoming more universally connected media seems to be more and more restricted. I mean shows on CrunchyRoll are sometimes not available in the UK despite no need to translate, or shows are randomly delayed in parts of Europe by a month.

And then they wonder why people pirate.

And no, I don't care about licensing. As an end user that means nothing to me and is an excuse not even worth wiping my arse with.

Yes, I'm still sour about YuruYuri BDs and region blocking on a media that can be region free. Also double checking Amazon UK for YuruYuri (in case they somehow popped up in the UK without my knowledge) resulted in a top result I did not expect... yikes.

What result are you talking about? I see something of a box set listed but I dont know what it is.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear: 04

Well, that suddenly took a turn for the creepy dark.

Some flashbacks before getting back to the action, and a near-sacrifice later, we're down to one able person to fight off the Noise.

This looks disturbing as hell. Ive been meaning to watch some of it.

But it is. I mean I'm not the one starting a campaign trying to point people to legal streams. If you looked at that database site you'd see they are already pointing to many US exclusive services and even CrunchyRoll links aren't a guarantee is many shows on their are also region locked. If someone wants a show, and they can't get it legally, their choices are write to every local companies pleading for them to license a show and then waiting, spoofing their IP address or pirating it. I don't think anyone is going to bother with the first option. The second one is also seen as illegal and services like Netflix have tried to crack down on it.

I know government is a hurdle with certain content laws that need to be appeased (see Germany for everything under the sun), but at the end of the day none of this is my concern. The end user is selfish and only cares about getting content. The companies should be lobbying for less restrictions on releasing goods abroad. But like the individual, companies only want to take the easy option.

Let's see... Napster was released 1999 and is commonly sourced are the start of music sharing, and it's safe to say it was around before then, and we're now in 2014. So 15+ years the public at large have engaged in piracy to the point that many don't even consider the legal implications of it. This is the reality these companies have to face. Honestly all I can say at this point is good luck to them, because they need it.

Of course we're talking about companies that thought the best way to tackle piracy was to put anti piracy ads on legally bought DVDs resulting only in the moral consumer being punished.

I know what you mean. It even affects some shows in the Us, like Dennou Coil, which of any show to deprive us, is one of the most cruel. I know theres all sorts of legal hurdles to licensing things, but why can we get shit like Akikan but not Dennou Coil? I mean its ridiculous.

At least figurines aren't region locked... oh no I just gave them an idea!

I blame all the pondering.

Actually....there are some items labelled "for sale in japan only" but online companies sell them to other countries anyway

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zankyou no Terror Episode 4:

I will be blunt Shibuzaki and the police procedural side of this show has downright saved things. I am really enjoying the cat and mouse game he and Nine are playing and in turn I feel much more investing in what is driving Nine to commit these acts of terror. On the other side of the coin, Twelve really does comes across as just some little shit who is along for the ride and is thus less interesting to me. Still better then Lisa who is he worst part of this show hands down. There is nothing about here I find compelling and her endless moping has gone beyond mere tedium. Moreover, her story is so far removed from the other proceedings
that the show even calls itself out on it and has to resort to crow-baring her in as Twleve's love interest. I have nothing but contempt for the budding romance here, so much so, that I actively fast forwarded through the motorcycle sequence.
Overall, this has been a good show that can't escape some of its own shackles to become a great show in the four episodes watched.

Pooya

Argevollen 5

1406828774-capture.png

clap.gif

This snoozefest is growing on me, might be too late to jump out, must witness this trainwreck :(

if only they actually try a tiny bit on the war scenes it could be decent maybe.

It appears the ones who brought us Sakura Spirit are interested in translating Key VN.

Since Sakura Spirit hit Steam it is very likely that what ever gets translated will also be available on Steam.

:(..... :|........ :)....... :D...... :,D!!!!!

Although I thought the Angel Beats VN was halted? We haven't really heard otherwise since they said that. That or I've just really haven't been paying attention.

Hm... Somewhat interested...

Pft. And you call yourself a Key fan. You should be Very Interested. ;)

santeesioux

Argevollen 5

1406828774-capture.png

clap.gif

This snoozefest is growing on me, might be too late to jump out, must witness this trainwreck :(

if only they actually try a tiny bit on the war scenes it could be decent maybe.

That's pretty much my thoughts on the show, plus there's not much for me on Thursdays so may as well watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom