• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if Steam would allow the 18+ versions of them. VN are new territory for Steam so anything in that nature would probably be cut.

The Devil is a Part Timer - END

230px-The_Devil_Is_a_Part-Timer%21_Blu-ray_Cover.png

That was a really fun anime! To keep things short: The main characters were all fantastic, the narrative was funny and facetious (even the dramatic episodes were dripping with self awareness), the script was phenomenal, the OST was notable because it made mundane scenarios hilarious by playing dramatic music, and overall it was a relaxing experience.

The show's premise and Maou & Alsiel's growth makes me think of that old saying.

"It's not who you were yesterday, but who you'll be tomorrow that matters."

PS: I hope to god that Best girl Chiho won last years Best girl of the year award.

Dammit was I the only one on Team Emi

tumblr_ml7nleBBuz1rj0najo1_500.gif

Show of the season. Any word on a season 2?

VRMN

I don't know if Steam would allow the 18+ versions of them. VN are new territory for Steam so anything in that nature would probably be cut.
For Key specifically, there's no point in taking a risk on it. For Kanon and Air, the stuff was transparently added in as a market expectation of the time. Tomoyo After, LB Ex, Kud Wafter are pandering by including it in a similar fashion. Clannad, Little Busters vanilla, and Rewrite don't have it because "Key" sells on its own at this point.

TL;DR: Sex scenes in Key VNs are largely pointless fanservice and the games lose nothing from their absence.

If they want to get the voiced versions of some of the games they'd have to go with the all ages release anyway, but enough about that...

Rhapsody

Banned
For Key specifically, there's no point in taking a risk on it. For Kanon and Air, the stuff was transparently added in as a market expectation of the time. Tomoyo After, LB Ex, Kud Wafter are pandering by including it in a similar fashion. Clannad, Little Busters vanilla, and Rewrite don't have it because "Key" sells on its own at this point.

TL;DR: Sex scenes in Key VNs are largely pointless fanservice and the games lose nothing from their absence.

I still can't believe Key made Kud Wafter 18+. I mean, I know why they did, but geez. lol

More circles doing Kantai Collection stuff than Touhou stuff for the next comiket. The end of an era.

Japan loves it's warships more than shrine maidens.

VRMN

I still can't believe Key made Kud Wafter 18+. I mean, I know why they did, but geez. lol
I like Kud, but the 18+ nature of the game and her archetype means I will never play the game she stars in. Not interested in LB EX much beyond the OVAs for the same reason.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Zankyou no Terror Episode 4:

I will be blunt Shibuzaki and the police procedural side of this show has downright saved things. I am really enjoying the cat and mouse game he and Nine are playing and in turn I feel much more investing in what is driving Nine to commit these acts of terror. On the other side of the coin, Twelve really does comes across as just some little shit who is along for the ride and is thus less interesting to me. Still better then Lisa who is he worst part of this show hands down.
fair assessment. Twelve's entire purpose is to give Nine further depth. Not only does he have to lead things, but he also essentially "cares for" Twelve.. aka big brother figure. If Nine were operating alone or with a more capable/refined partner he wouldn't have the same purpose/effect in the role as he has now.

I haven't seen this episode yet.. but yeah... they need to do something interesting with Lisa and fast. She serves absolutely and literally no purpose in the show (unlike Twelve as described above). I often get on "reviews" for being hyper critical and frankly nitpicky.. but being as objective as possible, the show/story would be unchanged if Lisa were erased from the show, even just going forward. I can't believe someone so inconsequential would be left to continue dangling in every episode.

Sakura Spirits is 18+ (at least according to the publisher). So it seems that Steam is experimenting with 18+ material, at least for visual novels.

Durarara!! 01

Time for another watchbet! I like how they managed to fit a Baccano! easter egg into the episode.

It's very different style wise compared to Baccano!. No crazy time skips or jumping between characters, it was mainly focused on one character which is good for me. We have our main protag Mikado who is just moving into a new city greeted by his childhood friend Masaomi. This city is crazy with many different gangs, kidnappings and Ghost Rider patrolling around.

Jex

WARNING:

UNTAGGED SPOILERS FOR ALL OF NEON GENESIS: EVANGELION

READ ON AT YOUR PERIL

Neon Genesis: Evangelion 26

Over the course of the series, Shinji attempts to undergo more or less the same path that all hot-blooded mecha heroes do. He rises, only to fall so that he may burst from the ashes and prove his true worth. For much of the series, though, Shinji fails again and again at doing that. When Shinji attempts to be a hero and save Toji and confront his father using Unit 01, for instance, Gendo quickly gains the upper hand both times. When Kaworu presents Shinji with an unwinnable conflict, rather than doing the impossible and finding a win-win situation, Shinji gives in to one of the two choices. What's most interesting of all, however, is that where much of the series is spent showing how the standard conventions of a giant robot anime would have terrible consequences or be moments of unfathomable horror, the show's ending is almost complete turn about. Shinji's realization that he can change, that he can find love and that he can overcome pain is his doing the impossible and finding a way out of the set parameters.

[TRIMMED FOR CLARITY]

Shinji's transferal to the role of Tetsuya is notable because the finale is almost about Shinji becoming the kind of hero Tetsuya was. The End of Evangelion is essentially the same as any other SR show: Shinji has reached manhood and comfort in his own self, and is therefore able to handle whatever the world wants to throw at him. Hence the congratulations at the end of the series.

Whether it was Anno's intent to turn things back at the end and show that there's Shonen Heart even in a lump like Shinji, or whether it was simply intended as a sign of hope at the end of a series dedicated to tearing to shreds the infectious hope so inescapable in other mecha series I cannot say. But I find that often ways the best way to end a tragedy is exactly that: with one spark of hope. Regardless, though, I definitely find myself much more appreciative of what Evangelion is now that I know what the shows it was seeking to deconstruct were like.
While I agree with much of your analysis of the series I'm going to have to disagree with the final part of your analysis.

Firstly, you state that Shinji takes the same path as many hot-blooded mecha heroes, but that his path is different to theirs because of his failures. I will agree that his arc is different, but I'd say it's completely and utterly different. His character arc bears practically no similarity to any other typical mecha protagonist. He isn't loud, determined, hopeful, stubborn, brave, reckless or strong. He doesn't gather his strength to overcome huge adversities and punch through barriers that restrain. He has no fighting spirit whatsoever. No amount of Bright slaps will turn him into a badass hero and he never, ever becomes one. He doesn't move or shape the plot through his actions and feats like a normal protagonist, instead he reacts or runs away from situations caused by others and forced upon him.

Shinji spends most of his time afraid of being hurt either literally in combat or emotionally by other people. From time to time it looks like he's actually changing as a person but he nearly always reverts to his normal self which generally means running away. He certainly faces and overcomes certain challenges, like many mecha protagonists, but he rarely overcomes them the way those heroes do, by force of will or skill. Instead, whenever he wins in combat against an adversary it's often due to the Evangelion Unit-1 itself or through his fathers action or some other circumstance and even when he is successful he's often left horribly scarred by what he has experienced.

I also disagree completely about the ending. It's true that, at the very end, Shinji decides to stop hating himself and is ready to take the first step towards becoming and adult but that's really only the start of Shinji's journey of change. I don't know if he's really reached manhood at all because he's only just begun to change himself and we haven't seen any follow through yet. Moreover he's still not a hero like any other mecha protagonist because he still doesn't demonstrate any of the recognised heroic tropes or actions, he's just managed to change as a person, something that occurs in just about every story involving growing up.

Moreover, The End of Evangelion really isn't like any other Super Robot work because of it's unrelenting grim tone. While the finale of the TV series shows that Shinji's been congratulated by everyone for managing to change himself, The End of Evangelion shows us what happens next. And it's not pretty. As far as we know, there are only two human beings left in existence. Everyone else is either dead, or LCL. The Earth has suffered unknowable damage. It's quite literally the apocalypse and there's no guarantee that anyone else will manage to regain their human form. Shinji and Asuka do not embrace tearfully and joyfully on the beach by the sea. Shinji moves to strangle Asuka, stops, and cries over her completely blank and unemotional face. While Shinji weeps pathetically, Asuka says "Disgusting". Cue the credits.

I, personally, can't find any Shonen Hearto here. I don't even know how much hope there is. It's pretty bleak stuff. What's worse, Shinji's pathetic breakdown even raises the question of whether he's truly grown at all.

Really, the only character in the show who acts like a typical hot blooded mecha protagonist is Auska. She's fiery, ambitious, strong, talented and heroic. She's the character who overcomes her deep seated emotional problems and she's the one who gets the bad-ass fight sequence against all odds where she totally kicks ass. And then guess what? She gets brutally killed. That seems to speak volumes about how the show views heroism.

The show never embraces the traditional tropes of the genre. That's what the Rebuild series is all about.

Clov

More circles doing Kantai Collection stuff than Touhou stuff for the next comiket. The end of an era.

Makes me kind of sad. I used to love Touhou. I got a bunch of figures and plushies of the characters and everything. I kind of just fell out of the fandom after a while, since I lost interest in the games themselves.

Reminds me, it sucks how we'll never get to see that Anime Tenchou and Touhou crossover anime. I was really looking forward to it at one point.

Zankyou no Terror 04

Still have not found the reason why Lisa is in this show.
No, throwing her into some slipshod romance with Twelve is not a good enough reason. In fact I don't really know why Twelve is there either, it seems like Nine does most of the work. I guess sometimes you need a guy who can ride a motorcycle real good.

The focus being more on Shibazaki is what makes this show more interesting, I have a feeling if it was more on Nine and Twelve it would be far less so because I find the sections with them kind of drag, and usually it would be the other way around as the police force in most shows is never fun to watch for extended periods of time.

TUSR

Banned
I think youll find my twitter to be about what you would expect.

I quite enjoy your retweets

I mean a little or a lot?

Oh hey, I wrote a thoughtful response to this earlier but apparently closed the tab. Its nice to see a community communicate through Twitter, so what I said earlier was merely an observation that we communicate more than other communities im a part of.

I laughed when the Kancolle fans said they would overtake Touhou one day.

Then I played the game and became one of them.

Sakura Spirits is 18+ (at least according to the publisher). So it seems that Steam is experimenting with 18+ material, at least for visual novels.

I believe there is an 18+ version with H scenes included but that version is not currently on steam. However, I remember reading somewhere that the publisher is trying to get that version on steam.

--

I don't know much about the mecha genre as I've only watched Eva and TTGL but I agree with your analysis of Shinji's character Jexhius. I think they wanted to make Shinji more typical mecha protag in the rebuilds after watching 2.0 but I'm not sure what they're trying to do after 3.0.

TUSR

Banned
I don't know much about the mecha genre as I've only watched Eva and TTGL but I agree with your analysis of Shinji's character Jexhius. I think they wanted to make Shinji more typical mecha protag in the rebuilds after watching 2.0 but I'm not sure what they're trying to do after 3.0.

I've been holding off on watching the Rebuilds until 4.0 hits.

Will 4.0 be the last rebuild and end of NGE? Even though I found Shinji to be annoying at times, I think he served his purpose well for the show and with how EoE ended.

I really should just watch the first 3 rebuilds, they seem interesting.

TUSR

Banned
Yes

lolno

That's a word!

4.0 probably won't be out for another 2-3 years so you should just go through them now and dwell in your anger until it comes

I was satisfied with the ending of NGE using EoE as a replacement for the last 2 episodes. I felt like I got some closure to the series, when I do watch the rebuilds I might approach them as being a whole different entity, an almost 'parallel' story.

Isn't 4.0 meant to open in 2015 in theaters?

Clannad After Story 4

Damn. That was a nice ending to the arc.

Oh no. lol

I thought so too. Probably the strongest of the side-character arcs in After Story. That scene with
Sunohara and Tomoya laughing with their messed up faces
put a smile on my face.

Now prepare for things to move fast. Next two arcs take place over 4 episodes and from there it's.... well you'll see. ;)

I was satisfied with the ending of NGE using EoE as a replacement for the last 2 episodes. I felt like I got some closure to the series, when I do watch the rebuilds I might approach them as being a whole different entity, an almost 'parallel' story.

Isn't 4.0 meant to open in 2015 in theaters?

That's probably the best way to go about it.

And I have no idea when it's supposed to open but I thought I heard 2016 some time earlier in here.

Lot of assumed concurrency between EoE and NGE in these discussions!

They do, though. Last two episodes of NGE take place during EoE, during Instrumentality.
At least, that's whats always been said.

PK Gaming

Jexhius, regarding your post:

Jexhius said:
Really, the only character in the show who acts like a typical hot blooded mecha protagonist is Auska. She's fiery, ambitious, strong, talented and heroic. She's the character who overcomes her deep seated emotional problems and she's the one who gets the bad-ass fight sequence against all odds where she totally kicks ass. And then guess what? She gets brutally killed. That seems to speak volumes about how the show views heroism.

Did Asuka really overcome her emotional problems? It's been a while since I finished Eva, but I don't think Asuka had an honest self-reflection and moved on. If anything, didn't she go completely insane (Her breakdown was the impetus for her charging in and getting mauled?). Don't get me wrong, I agree with the rest of your assessment. I just can't shake this feeling that i'm missing something big.

Serious

This looks disturbing as hell. Ive been meaning to watch some of it.

I absolutely love Symphogear, but if you're considering it only because it looks disturbing you'll probably end up disappointed in that regard. It's closer to Nanoha than anything, except with music. The first several episodes don't set up the tone for the rest that well.

cajunator

Banned
I absolutely love Symphogear, but if you're considering it only because it looks disturbing you'll probably end up disappointed in that regard. It's closer to Nanoha than anything, except with music. The first several episodes don't set up the tone for the rest that well.

Actually, thats even better!

I like the Rebuilds if you look at them as if they are their own separate entity. If you're looking for a retelling of Eva you will be very disappointed.

I happen to agree with this, but it was my understanding that its been hotly debated ever since the movies release. I'm just surprised that that's the default assumption now.

It does seem like it is the default assumption, never really seen anyone get into a hot debate over that. I guess it was never confirmed or denied either, but I think it makes the most sense given the context of those events.

I like the Rebuilds if you look at them as if they are their own separate entity. If you're looking for a retelling of Eva you will be very disappointed.

I was fine doing that until 3.0 came out

Clov

Just watched Gintama 153. This might be one of my favorite episodes so far! The "sad story" with the dog absolutely killed me. Loved the creepy, sketchy look in Kagura's eyes too. Great stuff!

phaze

Durarara!! 01

Time for another watchbet! I like how they managed to fit a Baccano! easter egg into the episode.

It's very different style wise compared to Baccano!. No crazy time skips or jumping between characters, it was mainly focused on one character which is good for me. We have our main protag Mikado who is just moving into a new city greeted by his childhood friend Masaomi. This city is crazy with many different gangs, kidnappings and Ghost Rider patrolling around.

You'll have plenty of jumping between characters at least ! Enjoy watching the best barman in the universe.

Just started Toradora

Pleaaaaaase tell me Tiger girl gets better

She does.

Than she ... well you'll see it for yourself.

What happened to DTL ? With him and Save banned I'm the only one left watching Naruto. -_-

Speaking of which movie 7 teaser with a whole 2 seconds of footage (and new Naruto design): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njGecjvUoLo

Moonlight

Banned
Just started Toradora

Pleaaaaaase tell me Tiger girl gets better
No.

It's not too late to join Team Ami.

Jexhius, regarding your post:

Did Asuka really overcome her emotional problems? It's been a while since I finished Eva, but I don't think Asuka had an honest self-reflection and moved on. If anything, didn't she go completely insane (Her breakdown was the impetus for her charging in and getting mauled?). Don't get me wrong, I agree with the rest of your assessment. I just can't shake this feeling that i'm missing something big.
Well, if nothing else, Asuka's last stand (and her performance against the MP Evas at all) is motivated by a triumphant realization that her mother, who's insanity and literal lack of recognition of her fostered most of her issues, had never actually left her, since she was with the Eva the whole time. It's not explicitly 'honest self-reflection' but it's clearly a second wind for a character who had been steadily detiorating psychologically up to that point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom