• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Spoilers for all of Evangelion, again]
I don't know much about the mecha genre as I've only watched Eva and TTGL but I agree with your analysis of Shinji's character Jexhius. I think they wanted to make Shinji more typical mecha protag in the rebuilds after watching 2.0 but I'm not sure what they're trying to do after 3.0.

I believe that Anno has no bloody idea what he's doing anymore.
Lot of assumed concurrency between EoE and NGE in these discussions!
I'm just arguing along the same path as Corvo. Whether the two are truly the same is a separate discussion.
Jexhius, regarding your post:

Did Asuka really overcome her emotional problems? It's been a while since I finished Eva, but I don't think Asuka had an honest self-reflection and moved on. If anything, didn't she go completely insane (Her breakdown was the impetus for her charging in and getting mauled?). Don't get me wrong, I agree with the rest of your assessment. I just can't shake this feeling that i'm missing something big.
During The End of Evangelion Asuka learns that, rather than despising her, she's actually been protecting her from within Unit-2 where her true soul resides. The damaged woman who tried to killed herself wasn't Asuka's true mother because part of her soul was trapped in Unit-2 during a contact experiment. This revelation frees Asuka from the chains of her past, just before she's destroyed along with Unit-2.

Of course, this isn't the same as naturally overcoming your problems, but it does allow her to transcend them.

PK Gaming

Well, if nothing else, Asuka's last stand (and her performance against the MP Evas at all) is motivated by a triumphant realization that her mother, who's insanity and literal lack of recognition of her fostered most of her issues, had never actually left her, since she was with the Eva the whole time. It's not explicitly 'honest self-reflection' but it's clearly a second wind for a character who had been steadily detiorating psychologically up to that point in time.

[Spoilers for all of Evangelion, again]

During The End of Evangelion Asuka learns that, rather than despising her, she's actually been protecting her from within Unit-2 where her true soul resides. The damaged woman who tried to killed herself wasn't Asuka's true mother because part of her soul was trapped in Unit-2 during a contact experiment. This revelation frees Asuka from the chains of her past, just before she's destroyed along with Unit-2.

Of course, this isn't the same as naturally overcoming your problems, but it does allow her to transcend them.

Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it.

Midonin

Locodol 05

Uogokoro has a lot of thought put into his design. Hearing Yui elucidate all about his origins was my favorite part of the episode. It gave some character to the past few episodes. The show in general is really good at creating a relaxing mood. It's not a super "idoly" type of idol show, at least in the way it emphasizes daily life over the idol activities, but that's not really a strength or weakness, merely a way the show chooses to prioritize things.

Kokoro Connect Episode 6

This whole new ordeal is even worst than the first.
I mean not being able to control your desires is like unleashing a beast.
Though it's a nice way of adding drama.

Oh yeah it seems
like the best girl is not winning at the moment I hope I don't get screwed over. Though at least she was pulling some moves in a unintentional way. :)
Anyways it was a great episode.

U gais don't laugh :'( I'm hurting. Every post of his brought a smile to my face. He was a one note character sure but man did that situation never get old. Good night sweet prince.

Remember when you were young. You shined like the sun. SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND

cajunator

Banned
U gais don't laugh :'( I'm hurting. Every post of his brought a smile to my face. He was a one note character sure but man did that situation never get old. Good night sweet prince.

Remember when you were young. You shined like the sun. SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND

I think of that song every time I see Shinon's name

Zankyou no Terror Episode 4

A perfunctory showing in this episode. As expected.

It's so derivative.
From the detective that goes to the place of origin of the case to "feel it" and put himself in the position of the criminals, to him somehow trusting the criminal's words and "rules" of their game (no cheating!) over the traditional police work, to the straightforward young policeman that don't understand his senpai and don't really value the criminal's talent, to the leaps of logic (stairs of letters... it's obviously this link on the youtube's comment), to again the dumb fat guy giving him the key clue by mistake (is he secretly the mastermind? that would be a real twist!!.

The images of chess playing as metaphor is also pretty tired, as the normal policemen (not our Detective-kun, he is smart!) following a false lead as noobs.
Also, I find Nine a bit silly saying he doesn't want the girl because she isn't to be trusted. Uhh... if you don't trust her, why would you leave her alone in the first place? She knows their faces and identities as culprits!

I get they are doing a "genre" work, with all ideas pieced together from police series and movies. Except, you know, I would have preferred them copying the Sopranos, The Wire, True Detective or Breaking Bad more than some mediocre cop drama serial put in the tv after lunch.

Right now Space Dandy > ZnT

/XX/

They do, though. Last two episodes of NGE take place during EoE, during Instrumentality.
At least, that's whats always been said.
I happen to agree with this, but it was my understanding that its been hotly debated ever since the movies release. I'm just surprised that that's the default assumption now.
Official THE END OF EVANGELION pamphlet called "Red Cross Book" and sold on theatres at the time of the film premier made it sound like both are completely different events altogether, and not concurrent, even if one implies rejection and other embracing of the 'Human Instrumentality Project':

The Evangelion Otaku Page :::
http://www.evaotaku.com/html/rcb-commentary.html

Jex

Official THE END OF EVANGELION pamphlet called "Red Cross Book" and sold on theatres at the time of the film premier made it sound like both are completely different events altogether, and not concurrent, even if one implies rejection and other embracing of the 'Human Instrumentality Project':

See, this was basically my understanding as a viewer. The two endings are fairly different on a tonal level.

So what's your stance, TV or EoE?

End of Evangelion doesn't really need to exist, but I'm glad that it does because it's a wholly unique and extremely powerful movie.

I'll always prefer EoE, if only for the last battle of Asuka with the MP Evas (one of the best ever) and Komm, Susser Todd.

Seeing Shinji completely break the hell down was great too.
Y'know what I could just keep adding scenes I liked in EoE and you'd probably have the entire movie.
EoE is great.

Well that's kind of confusing.

BluWacky

Zankyou no Terror Episode 4

I get they are doing a "genre" work, with all ideas pieced together from police series and movies. Except, you know, I would have preferred them copying the Sopranos, The Wire, True Detective or Breaking Bad more than some mediocre cop drama serial put in the tv after lunch.

I'm not sure how they could have copied those shows without writing something completely different and probably not suited to the noitaminA timeslot. I think it's perfectly fine to wish that it was something else, but Terror in Resonance is clearly a mainstream blockbuster series rather than a sophisticated cable show (if you can call Breaking Bad sophisticated - not saying it's bad by any means!).

/XX/

See, this was basically my understanding as a viewer. The two endings are fairly different on a tonal level.
Well that's kind of confusing.
Yeah, and there is also the translation of the original booklets from the RENEWAL OF EVANGELION project DVDs made for ADV Films's Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum
Complete Collection
to further cement that idea:

The Two Endings - Platinum Booklets - Eva Monkey said:
(...)

Thus, the story of Eva would branch into two stories with the diverging point being the end of Episode Twenty-Four "The Final Messenger." The two stories each unfold differently and arrive at their own climaxes. Episode Twenty-Five and the Final Episode tell the theme directly. And the other version, Episode 25 and Episode 26, depict the same, following the story. It is not that one is the complete version and the other is incomplete. Just like the multiple endings of a game, two different endings were prepared for one story.
http://www.evamonkey.com/platinum-booklets/the-two-endings.php

Kokoro Connect Episode 7

Things are getting intense and the cast are breaking apart.
Yui is still hung over the incident that she accidentally caused. Inaban feeling responsible for being harsh on Yui and wanting to not create trouble. And then Taichi laying down his ideals onto Inaban.
Yeah the next episode seems to be more intense, so far so good.

Clov

I like both of the endings to NGE, but I like EoE much better. It not only has some fantastic visuals and animation, but it feels like a more definitive to conclusion. The sense I had after I first watched the film was that "Eva is finished. There's nothing left to tell!" A very empty feeling, but in a good way; it was like all the emotions the movie had made me feel were all purged at once. Fascinating and unique, EoE still is my favorite anime film to this day. I'm not sure if it will ever be dethroned, either.

Kill Me Baby 13

4bKNqWS.jpg

What's in the box?

Fun with handcuffs, both fake and real birthdays and friends don't let friends behind in a hole.

So, most of the time this is a comedy duo show with Yasuna as the boke and Sonia as the tsukkomi. Most of the jokes are variations of the same bit with Yasuna doing something stupid and then Sonia reacting with violence. What stops it being too repetitive is the third character Agiri, which is the funniest of the three since she has more random comedy moments. Even her laid back voice is pretty funny in itself.

There's also some minor characters like Unused Character and the old man, but they don't really appear enough times to really add that much except more variety.

The OP is something that only these weird comedy shows can have that even if they fit, it's maybe not something one would want to listen to too much. The ED is pretty good though.

This kind of comedy is amusing to me, but not outright laugh out loud funny. The only time I really chuckled was the above box moment. If they had added more over the top reaction faces it would probably have been funnier. It's still a good show, just not one of the great ones.

I give it 3.5/5 Agiris:
bca469y.png
bca469y.png
bca469y.png
oI9nw1B.png
9Aeu6b9.png

Hopefully BGBW won't kill me :p

Jex

[Log Horizon General]

Why did no-one in form me that Nakata Jouji plays a swashbuckling cat in this series???? For shame!

Terror in Resonance - 4

This show just seems ubiquitous at the moment. I still don't like the police stuff and Lisa. I want to reserve judgement until the end, though. Since it isn't episodic.

Narag

[Log Horizon General]

Why did no-one in form me that Nakata Jouji plays a swashbuckling cat in this series???? For shame!

That's about the only part of the show I was aware of because everyone seemed to wonder if this week would be the one he'd finally appear.

Jex

That's about the only part of the show I was aware of because everyone seemed to wonder if this week would be the one he'd finally appear.

...which is kind of weird considering he's hardly the most important part of the show. More like the icing on the cake. The one thing people should have been excited for is quality writing!

CorvoSol

WARNING:

UNTAGGED SPOILERS FOR ALL OF NEON GENESIS: EVANGELION

READ ON AT YOUR PERIL

While I agree with much of your analysis of the series I'm going to have to disagree with the final part of your analysis.

Firstly, you state that Shinji takes the same path as many hot-blooded mecha heroes, but that his path is different to theirs because of his failures. I will agree that his arc is different, but I'd say it's completely and utterly different. His character arc bears practically no similarity to any other typical mecha protagonist. He isn't loud, determined, hopeful, stubborn, brave, reckless or strong. He doesn't gather his strength to overcome huge adversities and punch through barriers that restrain. He has no fighting spirit whatsoever. No amount of Bright slaps will turn him into a badass hero and he never, ever becomes one. He doesn't move or shape the plot through his actions and feats like a normal protagonist, instead he reacts or runs away from situations caused by others and forced upon him.

Shinji spends most of his time afraid of being hurt either literally in combat or emotionally by other people. From time to time it looks like he's actually changing as a person but he nearly always reverts to his normal self which generally means running away. He certainly faces and overcomes certain challenges, like many mecha protagonists, but he rarely overcomes them the way those heroes do, by force of will or skill. Instead, whenever he wins in combat against an adversary it's often due to the Evangelion Unit-1 itself or through his fathers action or some other circumstance and even when he is successful he's often left horribly scarred by what he has experienced.

I also disagree completely about the ending. It's true that, at the very end, Shinji decides to stop hating himself and is ready to take the first step towards becoming and adult but that's really only the start of Shinji's journey of change. I don't know if he's really reached manhood at all because he's only just begun to change himself and we haven't seen any follow through yet. Moreover he's still not a hero like any other mecha protagonist because he still doesn't demonstrate any of the recognised heroic tropes or actions, he's just managed to change as a person, something that occurs in just about every story involving growing up.

Moreover, The End of Evangelion really isn't like any other Super Robot work because of it's unrelenting grim tone. While the finale of the TV series shows that Shinji's been congratulated by everyone for managing to change himself, The End of Evangelion shows us what happens next. And it's not pretty. As far as we know, there are only two human beings left in existence. Everyone else is either dead, or LCL. The Earth has suffered unknowable damage. It's quite literally the apocalypse and there's no guarantee that anyone else will manage to regain their human form. Shinji and Asuka do not embrace tearfully and joyfully on the beach by the sea. Shinji moves to strangle Asuka, stops, and cries over her completely blank and unemotional face. While Shinji weeps pathetically, Asuka says "Disgusting". Cue the credits.

I, personally, can't find any Shonen Hearto here. I don't even know how much hope there is. It's pretty bleak stuff. What's worse, Shinji's pathetic breakdown even raises the question of whether he's truly grown at all.

Really, the only character in the show who acts like a typical hot blooded mecha protagonist is Auska. She's fiery, ambitious, strong, talented and heroic. She's the character who overcomes her deep seated emotional problems and she's the one who gets the bad-ass fight sequence against all odds where she totally kicks ass. And then guess what? She gets brutally killed. That seems to speak volumes about how the show views heroism.

The show never embraces the traditional tropes of the genre. That's what the Rebuild series is all about.

I recognize the strength of the points you've made, and I'd like to clarify first that when I made that post I had yet to rewatch End of Evangelion. Having since rewatched it, allow me to take just a second to see if I can't do a better job of defending my points.

First, the hope. There is an overwhelming amount of despair in Evangelion, and that is, as we both agree, intentional. But the reason I think that End of Evangelion is so typical of the genre is because of the things said to Shinji while he is inside the Sea of LCL. Rei and Yui make a point of saying this is most certainly not the apocalypse. There is a lot of apocalyptic imagery at the end of the show, and with a red sea and a barren world, it certainly would lead anyone to conclude that Shinji is left alone in a world with somebody he hates, doomed to die and incapable of dying quickly.

However, both Rei and Yui tell Shinji that 1) He himself is capable of bringing everybody back and 2) Everybody else is capable of coming back of their own volition. In other words, this is only the apocalypse if Shinji wants it to be. They repeat the phrase "This is the world you wished for" numerous times prior to that, during instrumentality, and the finale is all about Shinji realizing that that isn't what he wants. In the TV finale Shinji realizes that he can change and that he can be happy, and in the End of Evangelion's finale Shinji accepts that he's okay with a world in which he will inevitably be exposed to pain and suffering, because he recognizes that there is happiness to be found within that pain. The implication of the ending isn't that Shinji is left to die in a wasteland, then, but that Shinji is at the New Beginning the title speaks of.

To that end, I feel that my assessment based upon the TV series' finale is fair, though I will readily consent that I am equally comfortable with the interpretation that this marks the beginning of Shinji's journey into adulthood, rather than the typical culmination thereof.

As to what happens immediately thereafter, I've given it a bit of thought since yesterday, and I confess I'm not completely capable of reconciling it, but if I were to do so, I'd say that in End of Evangelion Shinji's path toward the above revelations begins the moment Asuka tells him she won't help him and he decides to try to kill her. It's horrible and messed up, yes, but as Misato points out prior to that, it's still a valid symbol of Shinji taking a choice for himself and from that choice walking the path to the above revelations, because it was what Shinji wanted. When they arrive on the beach, and Shinji tries again, it's nothing more than a demonstration of what Shinji had already realized moments earlier: he's going to hurt and be hurt again, and he's going to question his decision to come back. But it's still valid because Shinji wanted it and made it happen for himself, prepared for once to live with the consequences. To that end, Shinji's motives and the aftermath of that spat don't matter. Just as the question of how Shinji will survive and how the world will go on turning don't matter, because what matters is that he's already armed himself with the emotional tools necessary to survive.

For this reason I feel it's typical. Shinji is confronted by a giant foe and enemy forces, collapses into himself, comes to an epiphany about himself, and from that epiphany draws the strength to end the crisis and move on with his life. It's possible I misjudge, of course, since half the beauty of the show is its ability to deceive the viewer into thinking that it is a typical Super Robot series so it can tug the rug out from under them, but I think that it's notable that the TV series ends with Shinji's being congratulated for his realization and End of Evangelion showing that realization granting Shinji the power to make the world his own. I think that that is very Super Robot. I think it's very much so in line with Mazinger Z's byline of "Becoming a God or a Devil" since, in point of fact Shinji is rendered capable of being either of those at the end of the series.

As to Asuka, I'm actually not completely sure how she gets to that beach at the end. We never see her entry plug destroyed, and there are a few differences in what she's wearing on the beach from what she had on when thrust back into the plug, but I suppose simple enough explanations for it can be appointed. I'm also not certain if she brought herself out of the LCL, or if Shinji brought her on his own. I readily admit that much about Asuka on that beach can be said to cast doubt on my conclusions.

I suppose, ultimately, that all of it can be boiled down to interpretation, though. As it is, if we're following the crazy theory that ReBuild is a sequel to Evangelion, who can rightly say what the ending means anymore, but when viewed as an independent and self-contained work, I think it's impossible to say that Evangelion ends on a sour note when Shinji is applauded for his realizations and speeches are given about the will of all life on Earth to live and be reborn.

Kokoro Connect Episode 8/9

Yeah things did get dramatic.
With the cast breaking apart one by one, desires can certainly cause troubling conflicts. And when it almost went back to normal until Balloon Vine came and added fuel to the fire. And it seems Inaban has something very important to her that caused her to panic a bit.
The drama has been going smoothly and I'm enjoying this anime a lot.

Terror in Resonance 3

Awwww, I kinda wanted
Twelve and Nine to succeed again
. Oh well.

I think people are brushing off Lisa too much. You don't put a character like her into the story unless she affects the outcome in the end. And I feel she will play a heavy role in the end. Also I don't know what their end goal here is but they seem to want the police to solve their riddles. Like it's a game to them, but from the little backstory we are shown it doesn't seem like just a game to them.

I haven't been this enthralled in what happens in each episode with a psychological thriller anime since Death Note. It's refreshing. :)

Gazoinks

...which is kind of weird considering he's hardly the most important part of the show. More like the icing on the cake. The one thing people should have been excited for is quality writing!
Well I personally wasn't expecting the quality writing 'till I actually watched the show!

I just meant that it seems I have seen this before, lots of times. It just seems like every other cat and mouse, police drama now.

Am I using the word "ubiquitous" right?
It's a little off, calling the show ubiquitous would mean more that the show itself shows up everywhere.

Man, that's unsettling.

Dynedom

Puchimas S2 43-45

A nice night out for producer and Kotori with lots of nosebleeds and getting drunk. Or was it? Extra long episode too. Also dominoes for birthdays and more radio work.

That bar is the most :cajun bar in the world. Almost every top tier Puchi in there.

Kill Me Baby 13

What's in the box?

Fun with handcuffs, both fake and real birthdays and friends don't let friends behind in a hole.

So, most of the time this is a comedy duo show with Yasuna as the boke and Sonia as the tsukkomi. Most of the jokes are variations of the same bit with Yasuna doing something stupid and then Sonia reacting with violence. What stops it being too repetitive is the third character Agiri, which is the funniest of the three since she has more random comedy moments. Even her laid back voice is pretty funny in itself.

There's also some minor characters like Unused Character and the old man, but they don't really appear enough times to really add that much except more variety.

The OP is something that only these weird comedy shows can have that even if they fit, it's maybe not something one would want to listen to too much. The ED is pretty good though.

This kind of comedy is amusing to me, but not outright laugh out loud funny. The only time I really chuckled was the above box moment. If they had added more over the top reaction faces it would probably have been funnier. It's still a good show, just not one of the great ones.

I give it 3.5/5 Agiris:
bca469y.png
bca469y.png
bca469y.png
oI9nw1B.png
9Aeu6b9.png

Hopefully BGBW won't kill me :p
Yay
I thought it was going to end with the score you gave Pani Poni Dash. But it still doesn't make up for it :(

Jex

Corvo, I won't be responding to you right away because, it's pretty late but I have read your points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom