• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't alone. I'm someone not familiar with any of the material outside of the anime, so i've been enjoying how much there is. Every week is a new smile on my face with each new episode.

The current JoJo anime is my first exposure to that series period, and I love it. Even got me to get All-Star Battle on the PS3.

Guys, what's the best place to buy anime merchandise? My friend's birthday is coming up and I never buy that kind of stuff, so I've got no clue where to go.

nynt9

What's some good intrigue-ridden scifi stuff that came out in the past few years? Looking for something with a vibe like Eden of the East, Psycho Pass and maybe Darker than Black. Not super futuristic with mecha and stuff but a near future vibe.

BluWacky

What's some good intrigue-ridden scifi stuff that came out in the past few years? Looking for something with a vibe like Eden of the East, Psycho Pass and maybe Darker than Black. Not super futuristic with mecha and stuff but a near future vibe.

Hmmm. Psycho Pass is only a year or so old!

The currently airing Terror in Resonance has, to me, a similar vibe to Eden of the East - I know others aren't keen on the comparison, though. Regardless, it's excellent - even though it doesn't take place in the near future but in the present day, I think you'll probably find it fits the right tone - and regardless, it's an excellent show.

Link Man

Banned
Crunchyroll sells anime merch as well, though I don't know if they use another store like rightstuf; however, they often have good deals if you're a subscribing member.

Ryuuroden

Takes place super far in the future but technology is not high tech in it. Lots of intrigue. Check out Shin Sekai Yori. Best anime of 2012 imo.

Depends on what kind of merch? Amazon got some.

I'm actually not sure what I'm looking for (not helpful I know). Kinda just looking for a good storefront to browse.

If you can't find anything good on Amazon you can try these sites:
http://www.amiami.com/
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/
http://www.play-asia.com/

If you're looking for stuff like model kits instead there's always HLJ: http://www.hlj.com/

I'll test those out thanks!

Crunchyroll sells anime merch as well, though I don't know if they use another store like rightstuf; however, they often have good deals if you're a subscribing member.

I'm a CR subscriber, so I'll check there too! Thanks all!

Flowers of Evil 01

6F8bltE.jpg

Announcing that to the whole class? Seems like a shitty thing to do.

Mostly normal things happening at a school in this episode. Main character has a crush on the smartest girl in class Saeki and he reads some strange book.

Animation is actually not that bad. It's a bit weird when they have blank faces though.

mankoto

Blade Dance 3
Because Claire didn't listen, her Spirit is gone and Kamito saves the day by summoning his and as a result the harem is now +1. Claire, still hungry for power is given what seems to be an evil spirit.

Pupipo

Holy shit... I mean, erm... yeah holy shit. I watched the first episode of this show back when it aired because the blob was cute as hell, but it didn't generate any interest beyond that. Suffice to say, the show is nothing like what you'd expect from any first impression.

The premise deals with a girl whose ability to see ghosts torments her daily life, as said ghosts bother her around and cause trouble for other people, making classmates see her as a witch. That is, until she meets Pupipo, the Kirby-esque blob who protects her from the creatures and starts changing her life for the better.
From the first episode it might seem like a simple show with a twist, but in reality you're missing out! Bonding! Bullying! Life & Death situations! Neat set-pieces! Adventure! Emotional arc with climax and resolution! Like holy shit it was so unexpected yet so good.

It's definitely the most successful 5-minute show I've seen when it comes to serious storytelling. One would think that the run-time limits the emotional reach and the possibilities of the story, but the directing courtesy of industry veteran Kaori Suzuki is so efficient and slick that you get into it and even feel like it had to be a 5-minute show. I don't even know how this show came about, but now I'm glad it did.

Special thanks to Hosanna who recommended it, and wonzo too for being the original proponent even if nobody listened!

Yay! Glad to see other people enjoying this little gem. It's pretty incredible what it manages to do in a short format.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zankyou no Terror 4:

I knew this was going to be as bad as Apollon but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

If it has to be intrigue and near future there aren't many shows that fit the bill. There's Ergo Proxy and ghost in the Shell but those have AI robots. They're great shows though definitely worth watching. If you want post apocalyptic there's Cassherns Sin. Also not heavily Sci fi themes but somewhat post ap. Setting in Kinos Journey (just started it myself it's amazing so far).

If you are willing to watch something not modern I can't recommend Yamato 2199 enough. There's also Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Blue Drop 6 - I'm not posting this because I have any real interest in reviewing this show. Its average, at best. The only reason I'm posting this is because this happened:

DWlOcE0.gif

Forget about Mari's hair, sensei what is going on with your hair?

Flowers of Evil 01

Announcing that to the whole class? Seems like a shitty thing to do.

Mostly normal things happening at a school in this episode. Main character has a crush on the smartest girl in class Saeki and he reads some strange book.

Animation is actually not that bad. It's a bit weird when they have blank faces though.

That show made me really, really uncomfortable watching it.

I think the art style is actually one of its strongest points ultimately, because it does NOT have this standard "everyone looks beautiful" aesthetic to it. I heard a lot of people were unhappy with the anime adaptation, partially because Nakamura looks 'comparatively' ugly. In the manga you could argue she looks kinda hot... and that often makes it way easier to empathize with even batshit crazy characters. Plenty people will simply think "oh well, she's kinda hot so who cares". That's not really gonna happen with the anime.

You know here in the US we have the Sopranos and modern mobsters aren't even that big of a topic. Japan has the yakuza. I wouldn't mind a really serious grounded in reality drama about them in anime. Something like that vikings manga I need to get to eventually which is apparently very good.

Well there's gonna be a adaption of the manga Gangsta, if that's type of thing your looking for.

44307.jpg

And people say the manga is great. Though I don't think it deals with Yakuza.

Well there's gonna be a adaption of the manga Gangsta, if that's type of thing your looking for.

[ig]http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/manga/2/44307.jpg[/img]

And people say the manga is great. Though I don't think it deals with Yakuza.
Not what I'm looking for but at the very least it sounds interesting. Might give it a read later.

PK Gaming

That show made me really, really uncomfortable watching it.

I think the art style is actually one of its strongest points ultimately, because it does NOT have this standard "everyone looks beautiful" aesthetic to it. I heard a lot of people were unhappy with the anime adaptation, partially because Nakamura looks 'comparatively' ugly. In the manga you could argue she looks kinda hot... and that often makes it way easier to empathize with even batshit crazy characters. Plenty people will simply think "oh well, she's kinda hot so who cares". That's not really gonna happen with the anime.

Word. Nakamura's design in the anime suited her perfectly.

Jex

WARNING:

UNTAGGED SPOILERS FOR ALL OF NEON GENESIS: EVANGELION

READ ON AT YOUR PERIL

I recognize the strength of the points you've made, and I'd like to clarify first that when I made that post I had yet to rewatch End of Evangelion. Having since rewatched it, allow me to take just a second to see if I can't do a better job of defending my points.

First, the hope. There is an overwhelming amount of despair in Evangelion, and that is, as we both agree, intentional. But the reason I think that End of Evangelion is so typical of the genre is because of the things said to Shinji while he is inside the Sea of LCL. Rei and Yui make a point of saying this is most certainly not the apocalypse. There is a lot of apocalyptic imagery at the end of the show, and with a red sea and a barren world, it certainly would lead anyone to conclude that Shinji is left alone in a world with somebody he hates, doomed to die and incapable of dying quickly.

However, both Rei and Yui tell Shinji that 1) He himself is capable of bringing everybody back and 2) Everybody else is capable of coming back of their own volition. In other words, this is only the apocalypse if Shinji wants it to be. They repeat the phrase "This is the world you wished for" numerous times prior to that, during instrumentality, and the finale is all about Shinji realizing that that isn't what he wants. In the TV finale Shinji realizes that he can change and that he can be happy, and in the End of Evangelion's finale Shinji accepts that he's okay with a world in which he will inevitably be exposed to pain and suffering, because he recognizes that there is happiness to be found within that pain. The implication of the ending isn't that Shinji is left to die in a wasteland, then, but that Shinji is at the New Beginning the title speaks of.

To that end, I feel that my assessment based upon the TV series' finale is fair, though I will readily consent that I am equally comfortable with the interpretation that this marks the beginning of Shinji's journey into adulthood, rather than the typical culmination thereof.

As to what happens immediately thereafter, I've given it a bit of thought since yesterday, and I confess I'm not completely capable of reconciling it, but if I were to do so, I'd say that in End of Evangelion Shinji's path toward the above revelations begins the moment Asuka tells him she won't help him and he decides to try to kill her. It's horrible and messed up, yes, but as Misato points out prior to that, it's still a valid symbol of Shinji taking a choice for himself and from that choice walking the path to the above revelations, because it was what Shinji wanted. When they arrive on the beach, and Shinji tries again, it's nothing more than a demonstration of what Shinji had already realized moments earlier: he's going to hurt and be hurt again, and he's going to question his decision to come back. But it's still valid because Shinji wanted it and made it happen for himself, prepared for once to live with the consequences. To that end, Shinji's motives and the aftermath of that spat don't matter. Just as the question of how Shinji will survive and how the world will go on turning don't matter, because what matters is that he's already armed himself with the emotional tools necessary to survive.

For this reason I feel it's typical. Shinji is confronted by a giant foe and enemy forces, collapses into himself, comes to an epiphany about himself, and from that epiphany draws the strength to end the crisis and move on with his life. It's possible I misjudge, of course, since half the beauty of the show is its ability to deceive the viewer into thinking that it is a typical Super Robot series so it can tug the rug out from under them, but I think that it's notable that the TV series ends with Shinji's being congratulated for his realization and End of Evangelion showing that realization granting Shinji the power to make the world his own. I think that that is very Super Robot. I think it's very much so in line with Mazinger Z's byline of "Becoming a God or a Devil" since, in point of fact Shinji is rendered capable of being either of those at the end of the series.

As to Asuka, I'm actually not completely sure how she gets to that beach at the end. We never see her entry plug destroyed, and there are a few differences in what she's wearing on the beach from what she had on when thrust back into the plug, but I suppose simple enough explanations for it can be appointed. I'm also not certain if she brought herself out of the LCL, or if Shinji brought her on his own. I readily admit that much about Asuka on that beach can be said to cast doubt on my conclusions.

I suppose, ultimately, that all of it can be boiled down to interpretation, though. As it is, if we're following the crazy theory that ReBuild is a sequel to Evangelion, who can rightly say what the ending means anymore, but when viewed as an independent and self-contained work, I think it's impossible to say that Evangelion ends on a sour note when Shinji is applauded for his realizations and speeches are given about the will of all life on Earth to live and be reborn.
Firstly, in general, I will concede that The End Of Evangelion openly and explicitly seeds hope into it's final scenes. Shinji has certainly accepted the possibility that he'll be hurt by others and he's willing to confront that. He's started to grow up. It's also overtly stated that people can reform from the sea of LCL. I think we agree on that.

However, I don't believe that Rei and Yui tell Shijni that he has the power to bring everyone else back. Instead they tell him that he can chose to end Instrumentality and allow people the possibility of returning to human form. This is the world he chooses, a world where people can hurt him again. What that does mean, however, is that Shinji basically has to wait around to see who is actually going to return to human form.

With regards to Asuka, it's pretty clear that her body is eviscerated during her battle with the mass production EVA's. I imagine she has managed to reform her body from the LCL.

Now, part of your theory is based on the notion that the TV final episodes and the End of Evangelion movie are one coherent continuity, but I don't know if I buy that argument. My reasoning is that a number of key scenes from the TV end aren't present in the movie, for example the all important 'Congratulations' scene which lends the TV end a really positive air, and which you site multiple times in your argument, isn't present in the movie. The movie also takes the numbers from episodes 25 and 26, suggesting that Anno is re-writing to the ending to the story. Finally, the official information box states that they are separate endings.

With that in mind I feel that much of your argument is readily backed up by the TV ending to the show, which is fairly upbeat and distinctly lacking in apocalypse imagery. I feel like Anno is deliberately trying to say something different with the movie ending, hence the decision to end the movie (and the entire story) in such a depressing manner with two broken people lying on the beach in a broken world. It really robs the story of a triumphant, happy ending which the TV series basically gives you. It gives you reason for hope, but then immediately reason to despair.

It is for this reason that I feel the movie is fairly atypical when it comes to stories of this type staring these kinds of heroes. It's why I feel that it doesn't wrap up in a manner typical of a Super Robot show, or even a coming of age story.

This has been a very interesting discussion to have, so thank you.

Jex

more like limited memory of it, not understanding >.>;

in my defense it's been 10+ years and 500+ anime series since I last watched eva, I don't remember the little details, I don't remember the conversations that went on and on with my friend about how deep and engaging the series was after I watched it and wasn't impressed by it even though I noticed most of the things he was talking about (I just remember they exist and he really loved Rei). I don't remember the characters that well aside from the fact that I hated every single one of them (aside from the penguin it's alright) and found them to be terribly written. That's the best I can do to defend myself now since it's been so long and the show wasn't that interesting when it was fresh. At this point all I really remember is my feelings towards the show (it's nothing special) my dislike for the characters and my disappointment that with such a interesting setting/premise that it fell flat on its face. I don't remember in detail why I feel that way though.
I don't seek to deny that you have a very specific experience when watching the show some time ago (perhaps when you were still a teenager?) and that's left you with a particular impression of the property. I just don't think any of the arguments you raised about the show stand up to any scrutiny.

Perhaps if you get the chance to see the show again you'll change your mind, or at least you'll form new opinions on the work, which I'd be interested to hear.

Zankyou no Terror - 01

I'm not exactly sure what i just saw.

2 capable individuals with weird personnalities , not only bust a secret laboratory but also 6 month later choose to do terrorist acts ? and they bring random bullied girl #153543854 in the mix because ?

Well i'll still watch 2 more eps.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 18:

God damn but camels are fucking nasty creatures. Oh, also, yea, this is quite the adaptation when we get something as the worst stand fight of Part 3. Well, calling a fight is a bit egregious since it more a puzzle that needed figuring out and even then that was half an episode.

Jex

Man, I kinda want to rewatch digimon with the news, but I'm afraid that like pokemon it won't hold up with me now compared to my childhood.

It's all right. Just go and watch the Hosoda directed episodes, and the Hosoda movie (the real Japanese cut).

Man, I kinda want to rewatch digimon with the news, but I'm afraid that like pokemon it won't hold up with me now compared to my childhood.
I remember enough about the series characters. I'm sure they'll take into account that not many folks remember the show exactly and establish basic shit once again.

Jex

Digimon tamers is the best digimon show ever. Fuck the rest.
SLASH!!

You're correct, Tamers is probably my favourite entry in the franchise. Also Savers deserves a note for it's Fist of the North Star-esque fights which involve the main character taking on Digimon, and eventually god, in hand to hand combat.
To celebrate this auspicious day in which Digimon received a sequel, but more importantly, the Digimon movies are getting BD releases, I rewatched the original Hosoda pilot from 1999.

Yep, still fucking amazing, still pretty much the best thing Hosoda's ever done.

ur fookin' crazy

It's pretty good though.

Jex

Zankyou no Terror 4:

I knew this was going to be as bad as Apollon but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Don't waste anymore of your time Haly. Just go watch Log Horizon instead. I promise that it's actually good and way better than it should be given it's premise. Really.

PK Gaming

Season 1 is decent
Avoid season 2 like the plague
Season 3 is phenomenal

Keep in mind that if you intend to watch the english versions of Digimon, each of them have a number of cuts/censorship (with Tamers having the least amount)

Jex

You should really avoid the English Dub of Digimon. I don't care about your nostalgia, just let it go.

Jex

I've only ever seen everything up to Data Squad dubbed... Should I start over?

The dubs take out all the good music, cut and censor things, mis-translate character stuff and fill every second with pointless chatter. It's really up to you but the original JP versions are superior.
God damn it these Frozen puns will never stop.
No Frozen pun intended m'lud.

It still rustles my jimmies. I wake up on the middle of the night screaming, sweat glistening over my body hugging the covers. Never forget. Fuck that guy. First person to say "fuck that guy" meant it for this guy specifically. I guess my only relief is that
in digimon 2 during the flash forward ending they show what every character is doing in the future. And they show nobody still together as adults. And Tai as this sweet digimon lawyer with agumon as his partner

She doesn't deserve my tai-bro anymore. She wanted bologna instead of filet mignon. She can keep having that shit. MA bro deserves better.

Edit: Never fucking mind just read soras wiki entry. I hope they retcon that 2027 future glimpse and have a truck hit her.

We all know Matt is shit. I hope we get a scene where Tai beats the shit out of Matt. Yes I'm bitter.

Agumon is also better than that blue tiger wannabe.

Zankyou no Terror - 02
Ok this episode actually made things have more sense than what i had in ep1.

There are still a lot of things to explain but so far so good.

However i dislike the opening song and ending song ...( even if i understand why it's that way )

Jex

Zankyou no Terror - 02
Ok this episode actually made things have more sense than what i had in ep1.

There are still a lot of things to explain but so far so good.

However i dislike the opening song and ending song ...( even if i understand why it's that way )

your soul is wrong

fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom