• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

So I've watched the first five episodes of Casshern Sins. I'm really enjoying it so far! It's very dark, but because of the mystery behind Casshern and the state of the world it's managed to keep me engaged. My only real complaints so far is that at times it gets a bit melodramatic (I enjoy darker works just fine, but this one is practically dripping with angst!) and that there's been a few moments of weak animation (not too many, though). I'm looking forward to watching the rest!

PK Gaming

Toradora 15

k4U8YEG.png

This episode gets mad props for actually giving Kitamura depth, because honestly? I wasn't feeling him. Sure he could be entertaining at times, but he generally pissed me off with his "perfect, quirky honor student" schtik. It was about damn time he got put through the ringer like the rest of the main characters. Anyway, I could actually emphasize with his breakdown. I totally get "doing stupid stuff for attention in an attempt to make yourself feel better." I'm glad the show called him out on it via Ami.

Phatmac

Hey AnimeGaf! ^^ Just recently got back into anime thanks to Fate/Zero which uses the stand/persona trope really well with a fascinating world. Think I'll keep watching more new anime thanks to Crunchy Roll on my phone. Anyone have some recommendations based on the newest anime? The one I've started watching is Nozaki-kun and am really enjoying how lively it is. Main girl is soo cute. :)

So I've watched the first five episodes of Casshern Sins. I'm really enjoying it so far! It's very dark, but because of the mystery behind Casshern and the state of the world it's managed to keep me engaged. My only real complaints so far is that at times it gets a bit melodramatic (I enjoy darker works just fine, but this one is practically dripping with angst!) and that there's been a few moments of weak animation (not too many, though). I'm looking forward to watching the rest!

what do you think about the pacing of the show so far? i've watched the first 6 and at this point i feel pretty confident in saying the show would be better as 12 episodes as opposed to 24, but that could still change of course

Hanayamata - 02

This show...
This show.
Hanayamata%20-%2002_01.jpg

Not enough sakura petals on this shot !
i actually watched this episode 9 hours ago.
I can write about it now.

I like this show ..it rocks.
They cleared some of my questions and the cast is evolving in a very nice direction.

Hanayamata%20-%2002_02.jpg

Always have , always will
Hanayamata%20-%2002_03.jpg

At least you're aware of it now

Let me tell you guys , Friendship is serious business.

survivor

Banned
DBZ Battle of Gods

Pretty bad movie. Terrible pandering writing aside, I was sorta expecting a cool fight or two, but even then the movie failed at that. Ugly CG was distracting for these fast moving battles where they fly around the city and the actual final fight was just dull. The conclusion was even worse, but that sorta of thing was expected. I suppose the only positive thing was some of the music tracks weren't half bad, but pretty much this was a waste of time.

Hey AnimeGaf! ^^ Just recently got back into anime thanks to Fate/Zero which uses the stand/persona trope really well with a fascinating world. Think I'll keep watching more new anime thanks to Crunchy Roll on my phone. Anyone have some recommendations based on the newest anime? The one I've started watching is Nozaki-kun and am really enjoying how lively it is. Main girl is soo cute. :)
Eh? The servants are more akin to Medabots. (I swear that is the first thing that came to mind.) Basically battle companions with their autonomy limited.

Clov

what do you think about the pacing of the show so far? i've watched the first 6 and at this point i feel pretty confident in saying the show would be better as 12 episodes as opposed to 24, but that could still change of course

It's definitely a bit slow, but not as bad as I thought. I kind of like how the show is revealing everything a bit slowly so far, but I'll have to watch more to better judge.

Barakamon, you need to watch this. It's really great.

Understatement. The show is more bleak than dark.

CorvoSol

One time Kirb and I watched Casshew Sins together.

Man, what a cheerful show.

It's definitely a bit slow, but not as bad as I thought. I kind of like how the show is revealing everything a bit slowly so far, but I'll have to watch more to better judge.

it's definitely tolerable, but i feel like they're repeating certain concepts when they don't really need to.

Clov

Understatement. The show is more bleak than dark.

I'm fine with bleak as long as it's done right (like Texhnolyze). I'm hoping the show doesn't get too heavy on the angst, and focuses more on the mystery itself and the people that populate what's left of the world.

One time Kirb and I watched Casshew Sins together.

Man, what a cheerful show.

I can't wait to see what's next. :p

Well if you liked Fate Zero you might enjoy Aldnoah.Zero, it apparently has a lot of the team who worked on FZ doing it or having a part on its creation. It's no Fate Zero and so far it's just ok, but it has a lot of promise (Slaine).

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hanayamata - 04

5sYQApT.png
N8v15ND.png

r0CoEY4.png
JGGm6fH.png

:sdburton nuke

Words cannot adequately express how I'm feeling right now. This show is the absolute best and I'm so, sooooooo glad I decided to check it out. The purity is here in full force, my goodness!

Tenumi

Banned
Dragonball: 14 - 28 (The 21st World Martial Arts Tournament)

This arc, to me, was an early highlight of the Dragonball series. It introduced Krillin to the audience, and gave us a look at what's to come in the future with some excellent fights during the tournament proper. Dragonball's signature comedy is still at large, however, really showing off in Krillin's fight against Bacterian. Getting easily handled by the smelly giant, Goku breaks the fourth-wall and reminds Krillin that he doesn't have a nose, therefor the smell shouldn't be getting to him.

Something I have to commend this arc for is that it was able to keep focus on all currently introduced characters without them spending lots of time on the sidelines. Bulma, Puar, Oolong, and Yamcha all had visible, notable roles to play in the arc, despite that Goku, Krillin, and Master Roshi were the leads. While I expect that kind of character treatment to disappear over time, this early in the series, its nice to see that everybody introduced so far is having a chance to develop.

This officially marks the end of material that I have seen before. I have read the manga up through this arc, and had previously watched the anime up through the end of the last arc before. From here up until Dragonball Z, all material is new to me. I'm looking forward to it.

Necrovex

No Life No Game 6

Wait. Why did Shiro have nipples, but the other two ladies lost their nipples? What did I just watch? What's with all of this crazy space science I just witnessed? Oh god. My head and heart. They can't.

Also, potential new waifu. We'll see how she flourishes.

Blue Spring Ride 5

FINALLY THE CAT APPEARS.

And so does the love triangle.

Whenever this anime does the typical anime stuff like the >_< faces or chibi style art, it looks really forced and out of place. Its like the creators are like "Oh crap I forgot this is an anime lets add some oddly goofy anime stuff so people know its anime". It was especially apparent when Yuuri turned into a demon after the annoying blonde guy ate her muffin last episode.

-Horizon-

Sabagebu all day every day

Necrovex

I'm fairly certain she didn't. Sora should have removed them because he said it during the game.

You're right, I reexamined the scene and I was mistaken. I was tricked by the shadow. And I missed the part of him clearing away the private parts. That makes a bit more sense. Thanks!

Blade Dance 4
This show is overall kind of boring especially this episode. It doesn't really have the redeeming qualities of Rail Wars or Momo Kyun Sword which at least have silly fanservice. The story is pretty cliche and fights are okay at best. Doesn't help that the plot still seems pretty nonsensical with the sister, Restia and Ren Ashbell plotlines still not really explained

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hanayamata - 04

Words cannot adequately express how I'm feeling right now. This show is the absolute best and I'm so, sooooooo glad I decided to check it out. The purity is here in full force, my goodness!
lol
You should probably watch Locodol too then. :p

It's too bad Encouragement of Climb is still in licensing limbo.

cajunator

Banned

you might like Barakamon.

Hanayamata - 02

This show...
This show.

i actually watched this episode 9 hours ago.
I can write about it now.

I like this show ..it rocks.
They cleared some of my questions and the cast is evolving in a very nice direction.

Let me tell you guys , Friendship is serious business.

its beautiful isnt it? So pure. Hnnnnngh.

Hanayamata - 04

Ha. Knew you'd love this show. Its so...you.

was this posted? It's the Card Captor Sakura Bluray unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShO_0Wo49Y&list=UUSGWl6kkd9r1VC1TiBWbuMw

Tomorrow tomorrow I get this tomorrow its only a dayyyyyyyyy awayyyyyyyyyy
(which is too damned long!)

No Life No Game 6

Wait. Why did Shiro have nipples, but the other two ladies lost their nipples? What did I just watch? What's with all of this crazy space science I just witnessed? Oh god. My head and heart. They can't.

Also, potential new waifu. We'll see how she flourishes.

Dude...duuuuuuuude
Jibril is THE TRUTH.
I had to capitalize it so you understand.

Maaaannn....what gives? FMA Brotherhood goes from episode 4 to episode 53 on Hulu :mad:

edit: You know what, screw Hulu. Canceling my Hulu Plus trial (which is garbage anyway, it still has ads FFS!) and going to Netflix for these series.

cajunator

Banned
Isn't this all episodes?
Was there even an happy episode in Kino?

There was. Episode 08 was a very optimistic and cute episode.

Word to the wise:: some of these CCS blu-ray spindles kinda suck. Those flat ones are always a pain.

Ive dealt with some very poor spindle designs over the years. Some of them you have to put the case on a soft surface and literally bend the case and disc to remove it.
As long as its not a dreaded stack spindle. Fuck those.

Word to the wise:: some of these CCS blu-ray spindles kinda suck. Those flat ones are always a pain.

I have only had issues with the Bunny Drop regular edition set, which is also from NISA. Thought the discs were going to snap before I finally got them out. Just glad I had some slim jewel cases to store the discs in for now because they sure weren't going back on that case.

Should we expect big announcements at Otakon this weekend?

Hopefully something about the Sunrise titles that were announced by FUNimation and Sentai, but nothing has actually been said yet.

cajunator

Banned
Bebop Blurays believe!

I don't even know if they're going to be there, but I'll probably cry for a few days if it misses 2014.

CCS will soothe your tears.
WE DID IT BEAR. OUR HOLY GRAIL IS HERE.

I have only had issues with the Bunny Drop regular edition set, which is also from NISA. Thought the discs were going to snap before I finally got them out. Just glad I had some slim jewel cases to store the discs in for now because they sure weren't going back on that case.

Hopefully something about the Sunrise titles that were announced by FUNimation and Sentai, but nothing has actually been said yet.

Wait you had trouble with those soft NISA cases?

zulux21

finally caught up on some shows

Terror episode 4
decent episode, curious what the end game of the series is

Barakoman 5
fine episode, though not much happened.

agami ga kill 5
hey a training partner that actually trained someone...
still not sure how a klutz can have mad knife skills without training
but w/e still enjoyable.

nozaki-kun 5
still quite amusing, my favorite romcom of the season.

Aldnoah Zero 5
wow, what an absolute piece of garbage episode that was. I had been pleasantly surprised with this series up until this point but almost any hope I had for the series is gone now.

main character doing shit that the trained soldiers can't remotely do, check

kind of mars a complete idiot check (lets not listen to the guy who was friends with my daughter for years, and instead trust one of the generals that went over my head and started a war without my consent. I mean there is no chance he is telling the truth and if I gave earth 3 days to produce her alive without attacking that wouldn't ruin my or heck even harm my empire in any way... but instead I will just let my men who might be working against me go back down there and kill her before I can get her back safely because I can't trust my daughters friend.)

princess going to summon a magical mech at some point in the series check. (mentioned that she is one of the only people who can control the Aldnoah)
just god damn it.... I was enjoying the series and now I am just angry at it like I expected I was going to be after the first episode.

If I recall right someone mentioned that the guy that did psycho pass only did the first few episodes of this series... if that is true and the last one he did was 4 then it sure shows :/ (if it wasn't that guy I know it was mentioned someone only did the first few episodes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom