• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hanayamata - 05

msR5rP0.png
jRWHq8i.png

Secondary OTP? Secondary OTP.

Naru bringing the feels in this episode. Here's hoping Sally gets more screen time in future episodes.

Locodol - 01

Pretty solid pilot, not a lot of purity present (at the moment) but I'll stick with it and see if that changes.

cajunator

Banned
Hanayamata - 05

Naru bringing the feels in this episode. Here's hoping Sally gets more screen time in future episodes.

Locodol - 01

Pretty solid pilot, not a lot of purity present (at the moment) but I'll stick with it and see if that changes.

its so pure.
SO PURE. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL GARDEN.

I'm glad I didn't enjoy Prison School. It was so ugh.

Looking at some pictures from it I dont think Ill like it at all. Too much fanservice.

mankoto

Hanayamata 5
So, Tami's dad went from, 'you'll disappoint me by doing this,' in the last episode, to 'here's the location of a local festival that'll have Yosakoi in it,'in this one. Whatever she told him must've won him over real good despite her implying she dropped her lessons and such.

Now that Sari has more screentime, she's surely putting on a front at school because she's clearly uninterested and uncaring in this. When she said no before I sort of blew off, but after this, it's like she doesn't even want to be there.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi 34
Pretty good episode breaking up the usual pace and focusing a bit more on Aiko's family situation. To be honest, I feel a bit of the emotional impact is lost on me due to a couple of things:
-The directing and animation weren't the strongest. They weren't the weakest, either, but if Sato or Igarashi had directed this one it would've been so much more. As it is, it felt a bit like it was going through the motions. Yoshihiro Oka's episodes have been generally above par, but he isn't infallible and he certainly doesn't have the raw talent of the lead directors. He also made episode 23, the one with the wood-chopping, which I rather liked but not necessarily for the emotional reasons.

-The throughline of the episode has to do with the dynamics within Aiko's family, and how they were broken up. As such, I feel like I got cheated out of a real payoff which they are probably saving off for later. Aiko just suffers a short case of ~anime~ misunderstandings, gets over it and makes up with her father like it's nothing -fits her character, undoubtedly, but y'know-, which feels underwhelming comparing to the great set-up made in the first half of the ep.

-Some weird dialogue choices. "The old folks need me!" Really?

There are some genuinely great bits, like Aiko's sudden hesitation when she has her mother right on front of her face. The overall structure is solid, despite my gripes, and I enjoyed the episode, so whatevs.

Ojamajo Doremi 35
Sato episode! The comedy is top-notch again. I like Onpu, she has a well-balanced personality and likes calling the fuck out of people.

i6uiNre2pzeHo.jpg
iFTcWW523Zrq.jpg

Obvious jab at Toei's toy and marketing divisions. Consider yourselves called the fuck out!

Oh Doremi, you so crazy. Carrying the entire show like nobody's business. She's the heart, the spark and the comedic highlight almost every time. Such a good lead character.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hanayamata 5
So, Tami's dad went from, 'you'll disappoint me by doing this,' in the last episode, to 'here's the location of a local festival that'll have Yosakoi in it,'in this one. Whatever she told him must've won him over real good despite her implying she dropped her lessons and such.

Now that Sari has more screentime, she's surely putting on a front at school because she's clearly uninterested and uncaring in this. When she said no before I sort of blew off, but after this, it's like she doesn't even want to be there.

The father was probably just waiting for her to want to do something for herself. Probably one of those secret softies that goes against the gruff father type.

----

ASJbyLMl.png

Dem scrolls. Tears ready!

I just remembered that they announced a final four part movie season for Tamayura. While I'm glad the show is getting an ending, I also know that movies mean it will take even longer for me to actually watch it.

Durarara!! 04-05

Dangerous monsters, stalkers, puberty and gangs. Dullahan get's some back story and we learn about the main characters' backstory. I didn't notice any Baccano! references these past two episodes.

Mature

Barakamon - 5
UgA0uG9.png

I hope people are still enjoying this show as much as I am. Was in sort of an off mood today and watching this made me feel a lot better suddenly. It's heartwarming in that way, I guess.

I had never paid attention to the soundtrack in this show, but it stuck out to me a few times in this episode. I can't help but relate recorder music back to Azumanga Daioh, and therefore feel that it's particularly suited to these sort of humorous and cathartic shows.

Quasar

I just remembered that they announced a final four part movie season for Tamayura. While I'm glad the show is getting an ending, I also know that movies mean it will take even longer for me to actually watch it.

Yeah. And I wonder what the pace will be. I mean 4 films annually would be a LONG wait.

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 8

It's really sad that an action sequence that doesn't even involve mecha is easily the best in the series thus far. The backstory is interesting because of the relative novelty but it isn't explored in a satisfactory manner.

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 9

I don't even find the writing offensively bad anymore. I think it broke me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, she really lucked out then.
I assume that was the whole point - she does doing things to please her father, when all her father really wanted was for her to do things for herself.

Yeah. And I wonder what the pace will be. I mean 4 films annually would be a LONG wait.
Hopefully it's only a few months and not half a year in between movies!
Also hope the movies are 60 minutes or longer.

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 10

Pacing, what's that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Everything involving Hoshijiro's infantile clone is just- *sigh*

On the plus side, I thought this was going to be a stock bathhouse episode.

wonzo

Banned
Barakamon 5

barakamon5.jpg

I only ever went to a rocky beach once as a kid and I ended up slicing my right hand wide open climbing on rocks. ._.

Never again.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 5

how dare nozaki chase after such an uncaring editor when mikorin~ has been there with him through thick and thin… did he learn nothing from tomoda's selflessness? ;-;

_hekk05

Banned

To be fair its done a lot better in the manga imo. It was cute, but then its implications got real troubling.

Also feel like the art style worked quite well in the manga but didn't translate well into anime and just felt cheap

On the plus side, I thought this was going to be a stock bathhouse episode.

you're not facepalming nearly as hard as i was at the plot point of "WHAT GIRL WILL NAGATE DECIDE TO HANG OUT WITH ON HIS DAY OFF?"

About 7-8 episodes into FMA Brotherhood.

Like it so far, it's serious when it needs to be, and has some gags to lighten the mood here and there. I'd say the balance is juuuusst right. Especially after coming from AoT, which was grimdark 95% of the time.

mankoto

Blade Dance 4
So even if Scarlet dies, she won't be killed, eh? Well, hopefully Claire finally understands that she herself doesn't exactly need to be strong when she has friends (or in this case a slave) by her side willing to fight her battles with her.

It's such a shame that we went from #BuildingTheHarem to the deal essentially being sealed with the kiss. Oh well.

So that's Restia... I can't remember if her name was said a lot in the first 2 episodes, but I know she momentarily interrupted Kamito from summoning Est in the last one. Kinda sad that she seems to be the antagonist considering she used to be his spirit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The big irony is that The Big Crackdown™ has resulted in more talk about lewd. Before someone would post something and people would carry on their business because it wasn't really shocking. Now it results it 43 pages of doomsaying because someone just typed the word bottom.

Link Man

Banned
HaNaYaMaTa 5

Lol, Hana! Right off the bat!

Naru is so cute when she goes into full chipmunk mode.

Sally-chan is so best.

Aniki is amazing.
I'm totally shipping him and Sally-chan.

This show is pure unadulterated happiness. I needed this today.

So after starting Detective Conan 425, I found out that I somehow missed episodes 176-178. 425 summed it up and I am sure it wont affect my understanding of the story, but should I go back and watch them after 425?

On another note, I watched Ghost in the Shell SAC episode 1 and I didn't really get too interested in it. Does it get a lot better?

The weekdays are so empty this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom