• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I wonder whether Noragami will be remembered by voting time?

Are they doing anything other than the second half of Chaika in October? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd check.

It might not make the top 10, but it should still beat Captain Earth in votes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It is. Especially when people compared it to F/Z.

Well, UBW is like the best route in F/SN and it can't possibly be as derpy of an adaptation as the DEEN one. Especially given there's a lot less sex that has to be hidden with CGI dragons. But we'll see. It does have a tsundere in it, and that's pretty polarizing in and of itself.

I wonder whether Noragami will be remembered by voting time?

Are they doing anything other than the second half of Chaika in October? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd check.

I hope so, it was pretty solid. Just finished watching it on Netflix a few days back. Gotta write up impressions later.

Jex

Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 10

Another story that makes me aware of how hampered the stand alone episodes are by the runtime. ~23 minutes just isn't enough for things to be developed and concluded in a satisfying manner.

I don't know why you're blaming the runtime of the episode for a problem in the writing. There are plenty of great stories told in 23 minutes, or even less.

I can't say I was crazy about all the episodic stories in SAC, but I rarely felt that the problems lay with the runtime.

jgminto

Free! Eternal Summer! 12

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!! SOME OF THESE ACCENTS! I CAN'T FUCKING TAKE IT! There were a few that weren't too bad but some were just so weird. All of those super stilted backrground characters were hilarious and I especially enjoyed the creepy "get in the car, son". I can't say there was anything too inaccurate though, except for the lack of racism. Somebody should probably tell Kyoani that Optus is a proper brand.
i95yARPTXkd2x.png

Somehow I doubt they scored that lucrative anime product placement.

Oh, also the resolution to Haru's inner dilemma was total bullshit. He sees some guy leap off a starting block and is totally not confused anymore. I mean, I get it, Australian guys are hot, who wouldn't want to swim with them? But it's pretty ridiculous after the last few episodes that made it into a big deal.

Syrinx

Working'!! 9

Lol at Kozue just popping up next to Kyoko's lackeys while they were spying on the break room. RIP that dude.

Since Locodol is favourite to win AotY, what is the likely winner for OVA/Movie of the year. Personally I've only seen The Wind Rises this year so I guess I have to vote for that as my number one by default. Well there is also the YuruYuri OVA coming later this year so I guess I'll have at least two choices.
Can't forget about the im@s movie soon, BGBW!

And last I recall, the Princess Kaguya JP BD should be out early December, which I am becoming increasingly more excited to see.

Bakumatsu Rock Episode 12 [end]

Definitely not as good as Utapri, though I may be pretty biased towards that one, but at times Bakurock was fun. Couldnt care much for its plot after the first arc resolved itself with Soji and co (best singer, best songs). Favorite moment this episode. Ending song moment was pretty good in this episode. 7/10.

I don't know why you're blaming the runtime of the episode for a problem in the writing. There are plenty of great stories told in 23 minutes, or even less.

I can't say I was crazy about all the episodic stories in SAC, but I rarely felt that the problems lay with the runtime.
I amended my post. Obviously there is merit in short form storytelling but I don't think it gels well with the style of storytelling typically employed in the series. Edit: The show draws heavy inspiration from Western procedurals which have longer runtimes. I am criticizing the writing, albeit in an indirect way. They could have let some of these stories take up two episodes though it probably wasn't the writing team that made the call for the limitation.

You can criticize the writers for not doing their job well enough but you can also criticize the limitations they were put under.

Noein final thoughts

A pretty good show overall, and likely something I'd recommend to a fan of Sci-fi. The real issues I have with the last few episodes is Noein
A.K.A Bad future Yuu getting zero explanation on how he became the dimension-hopping Humanoid Abomination he is now?
And the ending itself which seems to imply that
Haruka will still likely die a few years later one way or the other.
That last one might be me overthinking things though.

Oh and the bloopers are hilarious.

Now what to watch next...

Clov

Nothing I've watched from this year is deserving of any type of reward.

Have you seen Ping-Pong?

On another note, just watched Free! Eternal Summer 12. There's one thing I'm curious about; given the large amount of English in the episode, did the original broadcast have subtitles for what the characters were saying? It would have been weird if they didn't, since there was some important stuff that was only spoken in English.

Jex

[Barakamon] - 9&10

Solid, as always. I suppose, for a show that features so much lively character animation, it was a bit disappointing to see such a cheaply drawn festival but I can't really really expect anything else from a production like this.

The thing that holds this series back from being the kind of 'great' show that I'd list in an AOTY capacity is it's lack of thematic depth. While it certainly covers some fertile ground with regards to the pursuit of creativity it's never really taken to the level where I feel that the show is having a serious conversation on the topic. There's also the idea of city vs country but that's also an idea that's been explored more fruitfully and more carefully elsewhere. The shows comedy trappings make it fun to watch, but it's formulaic nature stagnant staging ultimately leave it as a fairly thin work.

It basically reminds me of the early part of Silver Spoon, before that show really kicked into gear during it's second arc. Silver Spoon was a decent, fairly enjoyable story about the city kid going to agricultural college but the way it developed and explored those ideas and those characters really gave the show an unexpected weight and staying power. It actually felt like it was telling us something about people and the situations that they are faced with in life.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Not after animegaf's Pupipo campaign in Dec/Jan.

Although I would be happy with a Space Dandy win, I would also be happy with Yamato-esque Pupipo win. Either would make me happy.

Actually, just having Pupipo in the top 10 would be good. It deserves it.

Nobunaga Concerto Episode 9

Had a happy picture of him, but this whole episode was just :(
the mori brothers and their dad's moment of action, then to die like that leaving them alone, truly a wake in loneliness :( :( :(

zulux21

I hope im on here
I am :p
an august 27th post lol. (about mal)
and I think july 31st (about eva)is also from me... at least it sounds like something I would say :p
I will say though that twitter account got me to start listening to linkin park since there was a bunch of X anime is the linkin park of anime posts :p

also... sad face no more love stage so no new episode today :(

Narag

I read that people are going to vote NGNL AOTY, the bright side is that it could be worse. e.g., SAO2 AOTY.

If it wasn't so :cnet, I'd consider giving it a vote. Just need to make sure I watch ten better things so I don't chance it though.

There's nothing normal about an 11-year-old girl who looks like a 16-year-old and acts like a 30-year-old otaku.

well normal for an anime character. She acts like a 30 year old otaku?

[Barakamon] - 9&10

Solid, as always. I suppose, for a show that features so much lively character animation, it was a bit disappointing to see such a cheaply drawn festival but I can't really really expect anything else from a production like this.

The thing that holds this series back from being the kind of 'great' show that I'd list in an AOTY capacity is it's lack of thematic depth. While it certainly covers some fertile ground with regards to the pursuit of creativity it's never really taken to the level where I feel that the show is having a serious conversation on the topic. There's also the idea of city vs country but that's also an idea that's been explored more fruitfully and more carefully elsewhere. The shows comedy trappings make it fun to watch, but it's formulaic nature stagnant staging ultimately leave it as a fairly thin work.

It basically reminds me of the early part of Silver Spoon, before that show really kicked into gear during it's second arc. Silver Spoon was a decent, fairly enjoyable story about the city kid going to agricultural college but the way it developed and explored those ideas and those characters really gave the show an unexpected weight and staying power. It actually felt like it was telling us something about people and the situations that they are faced with in life.

Hmmm I suddenly interested in Silver Spoon. Guess I'll give it a try.

lol

So this is a thing.

At least name and shame.

Which one of you said NGE was complete crap......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom