• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

I would buy more animu fighters if I had an arcade-style stick to actually use as a controller, but they all cost too much for a casual player. Yes I know Louffy won Evo with a basic PS1 gamepad but I don't have anywhere near that level of dexterity.

I would buy more animu fighters if I had an arcade-style stick to actually use as a controller, but they all cost too much for a casual player. Yes I know Louffy won Evo with a basic PS1 gamepad but I don't have anywhere near that level of dexterity.

I'll probably just play Xrd with the DS4. I don't have the dexterity to be that good, but I know I wouldn't have that kind of time to dedicate to it anyway.

Midonin

Glasslip 12

That entire episode was
a vision of Touko's as she stared into the vase?
What it was suggesting at the end wasn't ambiguous, that she's looking for a place to belong, but that twist puts the entire episode into a different light. I usually like these kinds of stories, so I'll see what the finale does with this, exactly. I'll see exactly what effect this has on things next week.

Engaged to the Unidentified 07

rnpvXyj.jpg

That envy.

Lots of student council secretary, over-enthusiastic reporter and sister stuff. At least the reveal at the end was interesting.

Midonin

Soukou no Strain 08-10

Episode 9 was the most melodramatic in this show yet, even more than the bullying episode. Yet, it was also more emotionally resonant than the bullies, because Lottie has been more fleshed out. The entire backstory with the
hive mind of Emilies
is certainly interesting, and does make Ralph's cause a little more understandable, but it doesn't excuse everything that he's committed under the Deague, either.

Engaged to the Unidentified 09

Uh-huh.

Just about everybody assumes something that's wrong in this episode. At least a lot of it gets cleared up without dragging it out too long and Kobeni and Hakuya get some nice moments together.

Priz

Arpeggio of blue steel first movie coming 2015 Jan 31
https://twitter.com/animeseiyu/status/512459460451643393
Aww! I'll be in Japan Jan 8-19 so I'll just miss the movie. HOPEFULLY there'll be cool promo stuff on sale somewhere for the movie (when I went to Odaiba in June 2013, I found a Noitamina popup shop with Psycho-Pass, Robotic;Notes and Anohana movie stuff even though that movie wasn't coming out until August) that I can pick up. :)

I STILL want a Takao cycling jersey but I can't find them on sale anywhere... (they were on amiami.com before but the listing is gone...)

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 378

After a great one, a terrible episode. -_- Juubito and his powers deserved better. Art went to shit and I think they didn't even bother with animating Minato's chakra cloak. Him running toward Obito was a hideous sequence too. Well the last bit with Obito losing and regaining control was decent despite art issues.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 1-2

Oh I've missed this. Glad to see Joseph will stick around. Loved him in Battle Tendency. The new Jojo seems pretty good too, though he could be tiny bit nicer to his loving mother. I'm not sure if I like the sudden appearance of all those Stands. Real men fight with their own fists !

https://www.facebook.com/sigure.official/photos/723641844350401/

Excellent, Ling Tosite Sigure will be back to perform the opening for Psycho-Pass S2 with another new song, Enigmatic Feeling.

They're the ones responsible for Unravel from Ghoul right ? My favourite OP of the season.

Jex

ZZ Gundam - 11

So while the original Zeta Gundam stole it's transforming mecha gimmick from Macross, ZZ Zeta reaches further back in time so grab the Getter Robo design idea. It's interesting that with every sequel they felt the need to create some radically different Gundam design, as if somehow kids would get bored with the toys if they didn't feature some new trick.

Perhaps they were right, but it's weird all the same.

cajunator

Banned
Don't watch shit anime then

What fun is that then?

So I'm reading Fate H/A and I'm not even a quarter of the way through but this thing has more lavishly detailed descriptions of food and the cooking thereof than all of FSN combined. If you've played that game you can already figure that that is an incredible feat. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Either way I am left very hungry.

I think Shaft's cooking show might be the death of me.

You should check out Yakitate Japan. It was mostly about creative ways to bake bread but there were some other food techniques in there.

New Guilty Gear Xrd character Elphelt is pretty anime, even for GG standards:

The gif is moving at about twice the actual gameplay speed though.

I love this character so much!

Elphelt was made for Cajun

Yes it seems so.

chaika - 11

I laughed.

Chaika designs have always been bad, but Squirtle takes it a little too far.

Chaika designs bad? I must disagree!

Seiken Tsukai no World Break is set for January 2015.

http://warubure-anime.com/

http://moca-news.net/article/20140918/201409181318a/01/

Director: Takayuki Inagaki
Series Composition: Hiroshi Yamaguchi
Animation Production: Diomedéa

Cast includes Kaito Ishikawa, Ayana Taketatsu, and Aoi Yuuki. Yui Ogura and Maaya Uchida were also on the drama CD cast alongside those three.

I like these designs, except the overly large boobs.

Chaika the Coffin Princess 10

Really sick of all young blonde nobles in fantasy fiction being depicted as sadistic psychopaths.

Akari is trying to kill Tooru. How is that different from normal, exactly?

LOL

Articalys

And speaking of Psycho-Pass, here's the new PV for Psycho-Pass S2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQipxKwPbo

Featuring the aforementioned OP "Enigmatic Feeling" by Ling Tosite Sigure and ED "Fallen" by EGOIST.

http://moca-news.net/article/20140919/201409190220a/01/

New cast includes Keiji Fujiwara, Takahiro Sakurai in a new role, Masumi Asano, Marina Inoue, and Ryohei Kimura.
Animation Production also has switched from I.G. to Tatsunoko (thanks to Defuser for pointing it out, missed that detail initially).

Engaged to the Unidentified 10

"What should I give my fiancée for white day GAF?"

But, yeah. It's all about white day and Benio not liking any of it. And they made a second series of Chocolate Egg UMAs after the first series didn't sell at all and they had to give them away? Doesn't seem like the smartest business decision...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zankyou no Terror Episode 10:

This show should have been better, this was the best episode yet, containing actual bits of things resembling drama and tension. The usual flaws that plague the series are here.
Also, it is very clear this series wants to be a major Hollywood blockbuster type movie, it is certainly as dumb as one. We do get a pretty sweet car chase but on the down side they try to give Five one of the truly shittiest redemptions I have ever witnesses and then pointlessly kill her off by suicide. The crapper to all of this is the bland assholes that this series has been so desperate to get me to cheer for have set off a nuclear bomb.
Oh yes, I fast-forwarded through every single frame of Lisa and Twleve being useless and I do not regret this one iota.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam - 11

So while the original Zeta Gundam stole it's transforming mecha gimmick from Macross, ZZ Zeta reaches further back in time so grab the Getter Robo design idea. It's interesting that with every sequel they felt the need to create some radically different Gundam design, as if somehow kids would get bored with the toys if they didn't feature some new trick.

Perhaps they were right, but it's weird all the same.

I think the main difference, though, is that where Getter Robo has 3 different modes, the ZZ still basically only has two. Gundam and G-Fortress mode. That both are made up of combining planes is definitely Getter Robo's Getter Machines, though. Part of it sort of strikes me as a reference to the old G-Parts from Gundam. Which also explains a bit of what I've been mulling over with Narag.

Mainly, I kind of feel that ZZ Gundam works better as a Super Robot show than a typical Gundam series. The trappings of a normal Gundam series are definitely all there, but the attitude present in much of ZZ Gundam is far more typical of the standard Super Robot show. Things begin fairly light hearted, Judau is a mouthy blockhead at first, and he stumbles into the Gundam more than Amuro or Kamille.

I haven't seen any of Tomino's Super Robot works yet, but its just a sort of suspicion I have. Especially since there's that perpetual rumor that the man was somewhat tired of Gundam by the end of Zeta.

Jex

I think the main difference, though, is that where Getter Robo has 3 different modes, the ZZ still basically only has two. Gundam and G-Fortress mode. That both are made up of combining planes is definitely Getter Robo's Getter Machines, though. Part of it sort of strikes me as a reference to the old G-Parts from Gundam. Which also explains a bit of what I've been mulling over with Narag.

Mainly, I kind of feel that ZZ Gundam works better as a Super Robot show than a typical Gundam series. The trappings of a normal Gundam series are definitely all there, but the attitude present in much of ZZ Gundam is far more typical of the standard Super Robot show. Things begin fairly light hearted, Judau is a mouthy blockhead at first, and he stumbles into the Gundam more than Amuro or Kamille.

I haven't seen any of Tomino's Super Robot works yet, but its just a sort of suspicion I have. Especially since there's that perpetual rumor that the man was somewhat tired of Gundam by the end of Zeta.

That's basically the feeling I get as well. Tomino's natural tendency seems to be towards explosive, energetic, and silly stories that feature really overblown characters doing over the top things. It's just not in his nature to write these really dour war dramas. When he's forced to write 'serious', he just throws in heaps of tragedy and characters acting like assholes for no reason.

ZZ, especially, seems to play on that obvious tension. I mean, as episode 12 demonstrates, the design of the Double Zeta is hilariously impractical for actual conflict.

Defuser

Featuring the aforementioned OP "Enigmatic Feeling" by Ling Tosite Sigure and ED "Fallen" by EGOIST.

http://moca-news.net/article/20140919/201409190220a/01/

New cast includes Keiji Fujiwara, Takahiro Sakurai in a new role, Masumi Asano, Marina Inoue, and Ryohei Kimura.

Oh good, I was getting worried since there wasn't any new media when it's so close to its airing. I thought there might be trouble.

hmmmmn, Akane looks more badass now as compared from her timid self from S1.

So how is Takahiro Sakurai considered part of the new cast when he was Makishima Shougo? Clone? Twin brother? Haunting ghost memories?

Edit:

Hmmmm? Production I.G isn't doing this? It's Tatsunoko Production?

Yep, that looks like more Psycho-Pass.

-------------------------------------

Terror in Resonance 10

Dear Lord the engrish in this episode actually made me burst out laughing.

But besides that fuck Five. Man oh man, fuck Five.

Fuck Five.

CorvoSol

That's basically the feeling I get as well. Tomino's natural tendency seems to be towards explosive, energetic, and silly stories that feature really overblown characters doing over the top things. It's just not in his nature to write these really dour war dramas. When he's forced to write 'serious', he just throws in heaps of tragedy and characters acting like assholes for no reason.

ZZ, especially, seems to play on that obvious tension. I mean, as episode 12 demonstrates, the design of the Double Zeta is hilariously impractical for actual conflict.

The last time I watched ZZ it kind of dawned on me that the combination was essentially the same as you might see in a Magical Girl show, in that I guess time just stops for it to do all its silly, pointless spinning. I honestly would be deeply interested in seeing what would happen if Tomino were to direct a compilation trilogy for ZZ the way he did MSG and Zeta, because the man has this weird shame about his silly, super robot origins. Which is why he tried to excise the SR elements from MSG in the compilation movies. I sort of die of curiosity to know what he would do if he took a second swing at the series. Would he try to make it more serious? Would it be better that way? Or would he swing the other direction and make it sillier? And would that be better?

I don't think Tomino ever even wrote a novel for ZZ Gundam, which is sort of fascinating, too. Like, why was he so ashamed of his wacky side? Especially when later entries, like Victory vs Turn A kind of prove that Tomino actually does a really solid job when he isn't indulging in violent death every single episode.

The last time I watched ZZ it kind of dawned on me that the combination was essentially the same as you might see in a Magical Girl show, in that I guess time just stops for it to do all its silly, pointless spinning. I honestly would be deeply interested in seeing what would happen if Tomino were to direct a compilation trilogy for ZZ the way he did MSG and Zeta, because the man has this weird shame about his silly, super robot origins. Which is why he tried to excise the SR elements from MSG in the compilation movies. I sort of die of curiosity to know what he would do if he took a second swing at the series. Would he try to make it more serious? Would it be better that way? Or would he swing the other direction and make it sillier? And would that be better?

I don't think Tomino ever even wrote a novel for ZZ Gundam, which is sort of fascinating, too. Like, why was he so ashamed of his wacky side? Especially when later entries, like Victory vs Turn A kind of prove that Tomino actually does a really solid job when he isn't indulging in violent death every single episode.

Indeed...I think Turn A is his best Gundam work thus far. Hoping G-Reco is at least tonally similar.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zankyou no Terror 10
Pretty disconnected and boring. Most of the episode's events just felt superfluous; cause for increasing concern as the timer for Terror ticks closer to zero.
Shibazaki has a grumpy and closed conversation with a corpse that doesn't reveal anything new. Nine turns himself in to the police to "hold a press conference". I find it unlikely that we'll ever get an answer as to why, and the end result is pretty meaningless when the lack of a convoy presents an easy opportunity for him to escape. Twelve mopes, attempts to come to the rescue, and winds up pretty much accomplishing nothing. Lisa continues to do little more than exist.
These characters feel helpless and unproductive inside their own show, and even absolute failure seems to do little to push the story in any particular direction. It's like the show is throwing rocks in a pond and they aren't even producing ripples on the water's surface.

As the show attempts to sloppily jam all of its pieces together for whatever finale is planned it seems to be neutering its characters even further.
The American arm inside the show had its recognizable faces wiped away, and if they have no say in Terror's ultimate climax their entire purpose is thrown into question. Five's side of the story feels incomplete, and its necessity is called into question if she lacks representation as the show tries to hit its peak.
I can't really imagine the ending amounting to much.

I think Terror could've used two more episodes. At this rate the next, final episode's chances of ending in a satisfying way are really, really small.

I mean really. Why was Five even there. What purpose did she serve.

Midonin

Locodol 12

I must self-correct. I thought this was going to be the finale, and it certainly felt like it was, but TBS shows almost always have one bonus episode, and the fact that there was an episode preview means I can't give my final thoughts just yet. It was a touching not-quite-finale, all things considered. We finally got to hear the song they'd written, and a final performance of "Ah, Nagarekawa" with the entire town wrapped things up in a way where it feels like they have made some progress. The show's not as cynical as WUG or as fanservicey as Sonico, but it's got heart. Heart and one of the strongest centers of yuri goggle activating subtext this season. And some nice music, too. A tour of the city for episode 13 sounds fun.

Tokyo Ghoul 12

imgur_9CUtI.gif

lolwtf.

Seriously, I'm gonna go read the manga now, cause that ending was bullshittttttttttttt. It was pretty abrupt and left me freakin' clueless.

CorvoSol

Don't forget that Tomino also made Garzey's Wing.

Nobody wants to remember Garzey's Wing. Nobody.

I hope g. Reco ends with Turn A showing up!

Maybe if we're all really good. Can you imagine Tomino making a show that ends with the world ending in a butterfly apocalypse? Because like, that would be the most amazing thing. Like, I'm hoping he'd go full on balls deep psychedelic like when Lalah died. Just really fucking crazy imagery as the Turn A destroys the world and sends mankind back to the stone age.

As a side note, its interesting that both Turn A and ZZ have a tribe of like, Aztecs, living in technologically advanced ruins and living in worship and fear of a Gundam.

I guess we'll know if Corrin Nander shows up.

CorvoSol

He's from Wing!

True, but
he had to be cryofrozen somehow to make it to Turn A, right? And before that he had to be awake to come to know Diana Soreil enough to hail her as his queen, right? So I suspect he gets frozen, woken up, and refrozen all before Turn A.

I guess it'd be better to say we'll know if a man named Will Game appears. Also, I feel like the giant laser cannon from Victory is present in Turn A, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom