• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrvv

Animation Production also has switched from I.G. to Tatsunoko (thanks to Defuser for pointing it out, missed that detail initially).

I am both disappointed and not disappointed by this for some reason.

hopefully the animation is more consistent.
which I doubt it

Engaged to the Unidentified 12

GYk5dXs.jpg

Hakuya saves Kobeni again, and everything ends well.

The show starts out pretty funny, but towards the middle it starts to get a bit boring though. The jokes are repeated a lot and the two episodes that mainly focus on the student council secretary isn't that interesting. Luckily it gets better again and it got a nice ending.

I like Kobeni and the relationship she got with Hakuya. Mashiro got a voice that I really don't like at all, but at least the character isn't the usual little sister that doesn't want the main characters to be together.

But then there's Benio... She's just annoying with the little sister stuff and not that funny. Konoha is almost just as bad. Mayura reminds me a lot of Manami from Oreimo, kinda bland, but at least not annoying :p

The OP song is quite good, but why did they put all those suggestive still images in there? Doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

So, some good and some bad. I thought the good outweighed the bad and there were enough funny and nice romantic stuff that I'll give it 3.5/5 Kobeni:
td1VScA.png
td1VScA.png
td1VScA.png
f6C101H.png
9k64bzt.png

rrvv

Hakuya saves Kobeni again, and everything ends well.

The show starts out pretty funny, but towards the middle it starts to get a bit boring though. The jokes are repeated a lot and the two episodes that mainly focus on the student council secretary isn't that interesting. Luckily it gets better again and it got a nice ending.

I like Kobeni and the relationship she got with Hakuya. Mashiro got a voice that I really don't like at all, but at least the character isn't the usual little sister that doesn't want the main characters to be together.

But then there's Benio... She's just annoying with the little sister stuff and not that funny. Konoha is almost just as bad. Mayura reminds me a lot of Manami from Oreimo, kinda bland, but at least not annoying :p

The OP song is quite good, but why did they put all those suggestive still images in there? Doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

So, some good and some bad. I thought the good outweighed the bad and there were enough funny and nice romantic stuff that I'll give it 3.5/5 Kobeni:
td1VScA.png
td1VScA.png
td1VScA.png
f6C101H.png
9k64bzt.png

yeah Kobeni and Hakuya is the star of the show. the rest is bit hit and miss.

PK Gaming

Locodol 12

I must self-correct. I thought this was going to be the finale, and it certainly felt like it was, but TBS shows almost always have one bonus episode, and the fact that there was an episode preview means I can't give my final thoughts just yet. It was a touching not-quite-finale, all things considered. We finally got to hear the song they'd written, and a final performance of "Ah, Nagarekawa" with the entire town wrapped things up in a way where it feels like they have made some progress. The show's not as cynical as WUG or as fanservicey as Sonico, but it's got heart. Heart and one of the strongest centers of yuri goggle activating subtext this season. And some nice music, too. A tour of the city for episode 13 sounds fun.

Well put

It's not my favorite anime of the season, but it's one of the handful that I look forward to watching

Pooya

TIR 10

It wasn't even well directed this time, it was just bad. I had trouble following how who's going after whom in the ending part, it looked messy. Rest of it was just boring. I thought 11 episodes would be too little time to develop the story but even then they managed to waste a lot of time throughout.

The only way this show can manage to be remembered at all now is to let the nuke actually go off... and that's not going to happen. Very disappointing. It won't leave any lasting impression, it wasn't entertaining to watch for the most part either.

JCG

And Overman King Gainer.

1408718387287.gif

I watched one episode of this show on a whim and had no idea what the hell was going on and felt no real urge to continue.

That''s a small shame. The first episode suffers from throwing you into things too quickly, but after that it slows down and becomes easier to understand. That said, it's a character-based series focused on comedy and having fun, with an unusual setting and weird robots.

The plot is mostly there just for show, it doesn't particularly matter in the long run, so the use of a lot of strange terminology didn't really bother me.

BluWacky

And speaking of Psycho-Pass, here's the new PV for Psycho-Pass S2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQipxKwPbo

Featuring the aforementioned OP "Enigmatic Feeling" by Ling Tosite Sigure and ED "Fallen" by EGOIST.

http://moca-news.net/article/20140919/201409190220a/01/

New cast includes Keiji Fujiwara, Takahiro Sakurai in a new role, Masumi Asano, Marina Inoue, and Ryohei Kimura.
Animation Production also has switched from I.G. to Tatsunoko (thanks to Defuser for pointing it out, missed that detail initially).

Leaving aside the Psycho-Pass trailer (meaningless to me - should I recognise anyone other than Akane in that?), why has noitaminA uploaded the 2nd KimiUso cover song advert for a second time? Did it air again this week or was there a new one that they failed to upload, does anyone know?

Dresden

Was going through my kindle clippings for another thread in OT, and came across this:

'Instinctively I dreamed about women as objects of desire, but these were merely vague fantasies with all the substance of a yearning for the fleeting clouds of spring. When I cam face to face with a real woman, however, my feelings sometimes veered to the opposite pole - rather than feeling attracted to her, I would be seized by a strange repulsion.'

If only he'd known the comfort of pixels and plastic. ;(

Branduil

Terror in Resonance 10

Terror in Resonance feels like the rough draft of a much better story. As it is, it feels like something that got written without anybody at any point asking the question "does this make any sense?" I guess that could be explained by the earlier rumors that the script was still being written during production, but still, I'm not sure why that happened. We've known Watanabe was working on this series for quite a while.

The climactic action of the episode was also surprisingly disappointing for a Watanabe show. It wasn't exactly clear who was doing what or who was where, which is pretty important for a chase scene like that. Add that to the eternal mystery of character motivations and you have a recipe for meaningless spectacle.

Articalys

Leaving aside the Psycho-Pass trailer (meaningless to me - should I recognise anyone other than Akane in that?), why has noitaminA uploaded the 2nd KimiUso cover song advert for a second time? Did it air again this week or was there a new one that they failed to upload, does anyone know?
Looks like they added the exact on-air times for the show to the end of the video, replacing the general "airing in October" message that was at the end of the video previously.

...why they didn't just originally hold back the CM until this week is anybody's guess. I suppose they wanted Psycho-Pass to take all the spotlight this week, but still wanted a new video with up-to-date info. Not like anybody's going to be relying on the CMs to tell them when the show is airing though...
how much are you willing to spend for a stick?

Hori has this for $40 but it's tiny
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6LHQVU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Is it reliable?

td1VScA.png
td1VScA.png
td1VScA.png
f6C101H.png
9k64bzt.png

I think its a good show, moment to moment, but ultimately doesn't completely pay off in the end. It is a fantastically gifable show, however.

Pooya

Argevollen 12

well, how that experiment is going to tie into argevollen can't tell yet. It was a decent flashback episode, as far as this series goes that is.
It looks really really terrible now. How will it hold for 12 more episodes?

mecha designs are getting more and more practical

1411076256-1.jpg

um

Argevollen 12

well, how that experiment is going to tie into argevollen can't tell yet. It was a decent flashback episode, as far as this series goes that is.

1411076256-1.jpg

um

Is that a dick chaingun

I think Terror could've used two more episodes. At this rate the next, final episode's chances of ending in a satisfying way are really, really small.

I mean really. Why was Five even there. What purpose did she serve.

Terror could've used a completely different script post episode 4. Really everything about the characters and their individual plot lines have left me unsatisfied. They destroyed the initial Sphinx v. Police dynamic with the introduction of 5 and with it whatever credibility the entire department had to its name. Their purpose more or less is to give the Americans free reign and twiddle their thumbs in the background while Shibazaki does the real work. We have muddied motivations for Sphinx side along with a white knight-esque aversion for involving civilians in their games (they're okay with blowing up a building and outwardly threaten "female protagonist" if she ever goes to the police but the thought of a train bomb going off and killing anyone is a no no?) Couple this with just
releasing a "nuke" (that I'm sure, based on their previous actions, is probably some dummy that will give them some sort of symbolic victory or some bullshit)
and ... huh? A potentially interesting female protagonist devolved into moe blob who does nothing but try to garner sympathy from everyone else and has had none of her backstory illuminated since episode 4.

And then we have Five ... after this week's episode does anything else really need to be said?
A literally pointless diversion with a weak stab in the dark in her final moments to attempt to humanize her.
Zzz. This show is, without question, the biggest disappointment of the season. Let it be done.

that reminds me, i need to finish Psycho-Pass.

i'm at episode 8 and i've been told it gets worse.

Eh. I would say it more never really gets better.

I liked it after I finished it (after it was over, in like 3 days) but when I sat down and thought about it, it came to me as more decidedly average.

Eh. I would say it more never really gets better.

I liked it after I finished it (after it was over, in like 3 days) but when I sat down and thought about it, it came to me as more decidedly average.

i don't hate it so far, but my impression of it is a pretty resounding "meh."

the only episode i've particularly liked is the first one, and i think that might have been the novelty of the concept mostly.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Tokyo Ghoul 12
So that's how there going to leave it? I really hate it when shows promise something in a preview and then only the last couple of minutes of the next episode actually delivering. By the time you've actually sat through all the bullshit before it gets to it, what it delivers is so diluted that none if it fells worth it after the fact. The pacing in this episode literally destroyed this whole series for me.

Tokyo Ghoul 12
So that's how there going to leave it? I really hate it when shows promise something in a preview and then only the last couple of minutes of the next episode actually delivering. By the time you've actually sat through all the bullshit before it gets to it, what it delivers is so diluted that none if it fells worth it after the fact. The pacing in this episode literally destroyed this whole series for me.

Dude the manga is fuckin amazing. It is one of my top favorite manga series. The symbolism and foreshadowing is simply wonderful. But alas this anime adaption butchers the manga like no other. When I found out it had 12 episodes I knew for a fact that it would be rushed as hell. So yeah don't think that the anime is in the same league as the manga because it's not. You can tell in the manga that the Author worked hard and put his soul into the series, but in the anime they just half assed it. So I highly suggest you read the manga because to me it's a masterpiece.

Also Kaneki is one my favorite MC, but in the end the anime ruined him.

that reminds me, i need to finish Psycho-Pass.

i'm at episode 8 and i've been told it gets worse.

Eh I enjoyed it but mainly because I love dystopian sci-fi more than I love the show itself. You could have a dystopian sci-fi show about a world where moe girls go on a violent spree and turn the world into this totalitarian uguuu regime and I'd love it probably.

Narag

“We thought we would have a chance to really rip Gen a new asshole over Aldnoah.Zero,” said 2ch regular Takeshi Kurohashi, “but when we found out he had only written the first three episodes it just wasn’t the same anymore.” The desire to pick apart Urobuchi’s work has brought together otaku from around the world. Back in the U.S., Dan Smithson, president of the United Collegiate Organization of Anime Clubs, sent a memo to anime club presidents urging them to overly criticize the show at least once a week. “You can mention his ham-handed references to philosophy or literature, his propensity for darkness and the unexpected deaths of main characters, or even just his script or story ideas,” wrote Smithson. “I mean, we all hate him for our own reasons, and part of the idea of an anime club is to share those reasons with each other.”

http://www.animemaru.com/anime-fans-eager-to-trash-urobuchi-for-psycho-pass-season-2/

jgminto

Argevollen 12

1411076256-1.jpg

um

*sao2chaingun.gif*

Locodol 12

These last few episodes haven't been nearly as funny as the earlier episodes of the series. Though it seems there is one last episode remaining so perhaps that one will leave me with a better taste in my mouth.

Naruto Shippuden 378

What a shitty episode.

It's like they shouldn't have even bothered animating the thing if they were to going to do such a piss poor job.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Dude the manga is fuckin amazing. It is one of my top favorite manga series. The symbolism and foreshadowing is simply wonderful. But alas this anime adaption butchers the manga like no other. When I found out it had 12 episodes I knew for a fact that it would be rushed as hell. So yeah don't think that the anime is in the same league as the manga because it's not. You can tell in the manga that the Author worked hard and put his soul into the series, but in the anime they just half assed it. So I highly suggest you read the manga because to me it's a masterpiece.

Also Kaneki is one my favorite MC, but in the end the anime ruined him.

I read an impression that was pretty down on the ending of the Manga but after your glowing endorsement here, I think I'm willing to experience something handled better than the anime. I'll give it a try and thanks.

I read an impression that was pretty down on the ending of the Manga but after your glowing endorsement here, I think I'm willing to experience something handled better than the anime. I'll give it a try and thanks.

I believe there may be sequel for the series due to some Tokyo Ghoul event happening on Oct 11. As for the ending it may be despair inducing but it makes sense and it's inline with the story. Though I will still believe in a sequel since the author hid so many hints in the last chapter even if there is a chance I might get crushed.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Argevollen 12

1411076256-1.jpg

um

It's funny because Argevollen is probably one of the only (like seriously) mecha animes to show a combined arms warfare, and the mecha's really aren't all that more powerful than normal artierllery not even the new prototype. Other forms of artillery and infantry still matter.

Probably one of the more realistic war animes involving mechs I've seen (which should tell you a lot. about mecha anime)

Mothman91

Finished Fate/Zero the other day.

Didn't expect that kind of ending.

Was the grail trying to get Kiritsugus wife resurrected or was it trying to get a wish he didn't really want?

Also glad Saber didn't get jack shit in the end, although I wanted her to die really badly.

Should I finish Durarara! or Ghost in the Shell SAC?

Was the grail trying to get Kiritsugus wife resurrected or was it trying to get a wish he didn't really want?

Also glad Saber didn't get jack shit in the end, although I wanted her to die really badly.

From what I recall of F/Z's ending

the goal of the grail was to get Kiritsugu to agree that his ideals are flawed but that it can come up with a fucked up solution that could get him there on paper. He refused. Not worth the price and all, he wanted to be a hero not a mass murderer

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Durarara

Mothman91

From what I recall of F/Z's ending

the goal of the grail was to get Kiritsugu to agree that his ideals are flawed but that it can come up with a fucked up solution that could get him there on paper. He refused. Not worth the price and all, he wanted to be a hero not a mass murderer

Oh ok, makes a bit more sense. thanks.

Zanykou no Terror - 10

Last time around I applauded the show's great direction in that particular episode and now we get this mess? Oh man :/

There was just something off about the animation and overall direction in multiple scenes, especially during the chase. At several times I just felt like the animation looked outright bad, like when Twelve was driving in front of Five. I understand that animating such a sequence isn't hard but it looked awkward as hell. So did the very abrupt appearance of Twelve. From one moment to the next we suddenly get a close up of his face and he's just there, weird.

The writing of this show was always lacking severely but with this episode seriously everything has gone down the drain. Nothing even makes sense anymore. Just what the hell was the point of Five. I sure as hell didn't feel any empathy towards her, including the very end.

Just urgh, is there even anything left to reveal in this show? Whether the bomb is an actual bomb (considering that this would be somewhat contradicting to the earlier characterization of Nine and Twelve)? The message Nine and Twelve wanted the world/Japan to know? Is there anything left unsaid about that secret childen prodigies project? Will we receive some lovey-dovey Twelve/Moeblob finish?

Just as the show itself I've no idea of its direction.

Articalys

Glasslip episode 12

...Did they really just
spend an ENTIRE EPISODE in some weird alternate dream reality thing that they didn't even bother to explain the meaning of
?

Now this is the kind of straight-up stupidity I was waiting this whole time for.

Glasslip episode 12

...Did they really just
spend an ENTIRE EPISODE in some weird alternate dream reality thing that they didn't even bother to explain the meaning of
?

Now this is the kind of straight-up stupidity I was waiting this whole time for.

They explained its purpose at the end of the episode, it's not exactly rocket science.

Glasslip episode 12

...Did they really just
?

Stupid? I thought it was quite solid and an interesting premise for David and co.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura The Movie

That was pretty fun. The only card capturing done was near the start of the movie, but what the rest of the movie was spent on was serene, tense and highly enjoyable. My favorite part of it was meeting Syaoran's family. His four sisters are crazy, and his mom is crazy awesome. The whole movie being about
simply wanting to see someone again, not realizing it's too late
is the kind of simple, emotional storytelling I've come to expect from this show by now. Plus it gave some scenery of a place that doesn't come up super often in anime. Some delays in getting the actual movie in the mail, but I am now ready to begin the second half of the show.

This is magical girl history here, and I need to experience it all.

Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 (end)

If no one had told me that was the end, I would have never guessed it. Oddly it was the best episode of the anime and pretty compelling even if it was on the far end of how much cruelty and pain I could endure watching a character go through. His development throughout it and the song playing over it all was pretty spectacular.

7/10 anime.

Articalys

Okay, someone's going to have to just explain whatever it is I'm missing from Glasslip, since I've watched it a couple times now and still can't figure out how it fits into the overall story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom