• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamako Market bombed, and KyoAni made a movie for that too.
Didn't know you had internal revenue documents accounting for all revenue sources for the franchise and not the estimates that Oricon makes. Please share with the rest of us.

Is this the sort of thing that's just sort of committed to at the beginning of production?
The decision to make a movie was from the producer, Suzuki as she felt the story Yamada wanted to tell would be a good adolescent film and it's definitely earned enough to be a profit (though no one would admit it because international fans only pay attention to disc estimates from Oricon and ignore everything else)

mankoto

Ao Haru Ride 11
Deeper into the world of Kou, yet again. But this time, we saw how he dealt with his mother from his perspective instead of his brother. Although with Fubata's meddling, she got him to break down enough to where he, may be able to "feel," again.

Speaking of Fubata, she needs to learn how to keep her hands to herself and not be loud in the library... I'm guessing the guy she accidentally felt up will be a new one-sided love interest?

Is this the sort of thing that's just sort of committed to at the beginning of production?
I'm not that knowledgeable in this area, but I don't see why KyoAni would lock themselves in like that. In both of these cases they have the most vested interest in the intellectual property. So presumably they see something to gain and it's not (entirely) about obligation.

Narag

The decision to make a movie was from the producer, Suzuki as she felt the story Yamada wanted to tell would be a good adolescent film and it's definitely earned enough to be a profit (though no one would admit it because international fans only pay attention to disc estimates from Oricon and ignore everything else)

Thanks.

Maybe. Committing to making a film before you know if anyone is going to buy into your property seems like bad business to me, but what do I know.

Well, I just mean if one looks at it as the show/movie as an extended advertising campaign to move a related product, I can easily see why something like this might be made.

duckroll

I don't think it has that much to buying into something before hand. Rather, it is in KyoAni's best interest to push their own properties as much as possible. They own the IPs, they publish the novels, they release the merchandise. Even if the home video releases didn't sell a ton, there's no reason for them to stop trying to expand and promote their own IP. Having a TV anime lets you spread awareness of a property via magazines, blogs, twitter, etc. Having a theatrical anime lets you spread awareness in the same ways plus posters and trailers at cinemas, more tv ads, etc.

fertygo

Well I think its fair to assume if KnK or Tamako got better result that we silly gaijin don't know, both will got S2 instead like Free or Chuu2.

cajunator

Banned
One of my favorite series. The mmo addiction arc was far too real for me.

That mistaken identity stuff probably happens a lot. Somebody falls for a cute catgirl player character or something and it might be some greasy dude irl. Kind of scary to think about.

misaki in cat ears was hnnnnngh.

I liked Tamako Market. I generally enjoy KyoAni shows but KnK was just awful. I have no idea what they were trying to do with that. Shame as it had really nice art and designs too.

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 44

Stopped less than halfway through because Happosai. Shouldn't have even started.

This is like the third OP for the show already too. Why didn't they just stick with superior first OP?

Dresden

The anime versions of Sachi, Amane, and that annoying little girl are all big improvements on their VN versions. Fumio suckssssss

Clov

I liked Tamako Market. I generally enjoy KyoAni shows but KnK was just awful. I have no idea what they were trying to do with that. Shame as it had really nice art and designs too.

Yep, this is how I feel as well. Tamako Market was cute and enjoyable. KnK was pretty terrible. It's probably the only anime KyoAni's made that I haven't enjoyed. The ending theme was nice, at least.

Dresden

KnK was pretty bad, but Chuu2's finale is really the low point of post-Hyouka kyoamigos.

It's like finding a group of sherpas who just climbed mount everest wallowing in a strip club after descending.

Articalys

Now the question I have though, is that mainly from that fact that since KyoAni are crazy good with production/scheduling and since it's KyoAni's own IP (as duckroll pointed out) they could keep the budget low and they get the majority of the revenue from disc sales even though the numbers aren't super high, or is because of sales from other merch like the novels, accessories, etc?

Branduil

KnK was pretty bad, but Chuu2's finale is really the low point of post-Hyouka kyoamigos.

It's like finding a group of sherpas who just climbed mount everest wallowing in a strip club after descending.

LOL

Chuu2 went from pretty dumb but mostly inoffensive to a deluded apologetic for reality deniers really quickly.

Jarmel

Banned
Now the question I have though, is that mainly from that fact that since KyoAni are crazy good with production/scheduling and since it's KyoAni's own IP (as duckroll pointed out) they could keep the budget low and they get the majority of the revenue from disc sales even though the numbers aren't super high, or is because of sales from other merch like the novels, accessories, etc?

I doubt anyone knows(who doesn't work at a producer or Kyoani). We would need to look at budget costs and contracts to see how much Kyoani makes off extras.

Now the question I have though, is that mainly from that fact that since KyoAni are crazy good with production/scheduling and since it's KyoAni's own IP (as duckroll pointed out) they could keep the budget low and they get the majority of the revenue from disc sales even though the numbers might only be average, or is because of sales from other merch like the novels, accessories, etc?

It's a combination of owning the IP (small slice of everything), selling merch from their own store at theatres/online, selling the novel version, getting majority of revenue from disc sales, movie doing decently at the theatres (from what we know after 4 weeks when reports stopped (and it continued running longer than that)), and the model of putting people on salary instead of cut and splitting the staffs between the movie/Chu2koi Ren/Free! ES.

Regardless of how much they put in, the sheer amount of revenue sources combined with how they produce animation means they're likely to make a profit on their CTFK IPs easily. (And guess what, last fiscal year (Tamako, Free S1, Chu2koi movie, part of Kyoukai), they made much more profit than the previous year. The model works!)

izCae8Z7DZKCq.gif

When characters in Stand Alone Complex verbally ask each other for common knowledge instead of doing a goddamn search online with their cyberbrain has to be the biggest test of my suspension of disbelief. /rant

Branduil

When characters in Stand Alone Complex verbally ask each other for common knowledge instead of doing a goddamn search online with their cyberbrain has to be the biggest test of my suspension of disbelief. /rant

As you all know, this trope is also a pet peeve of mine.

Ryuuroden

Lol, just watched Nanoha A's ep 12 again for shits and giggles. Some heavy duty firepower in that episode. I don't think I've seen magic girls as powerful as the ones in this franchise, anywhere else. It's one of the reasons I love it, heh. I always forget how friggan superpowered they all are, then I rewatch an episode and go ohhh yeah......that's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom