• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallagin

Just watched Mirai Nikki a few days ago and I loved it. So exciting throughout! The edge was sharp, but honestly, it felt pretty appropriate for how they wanted to tell the story.

The show started to be kind of lame a little after the half way point, but the ending and subsequent ova were really good imo.

Have to say, Yuno is probably my favorite anime character right now. She is just sooo good. <3

F65VLrL.jpg

They average 11k for each Volume and thats just JP releases. The show is quite popular in NA.

Fun fact: Mahouka has been selling over 12k a volume. With V3 coming out next week in JP, I know the novels have been selling well too since the show has aired.

Mahouka guaranteed S2. OVA will include
beach/summer vacation
That horrendous trash like Mahouka actually sells well is why we can't have good things...

Prisma Illya 3

I have finally recovered enough from the last episode to try this again.
This episode... I think I love this show. Most definitely the best anime of the season. Hopefully, they have a
harem
end.
Well, this season is only the first half of 2wei, so it doesn't have a real ending. As for the second half of 2wei, to air next year... its ending is quite unexpected, but
I can assure you that it's quite definitely not harem.
I don't know how 3rei will end, it's not over yet.

You didn't read the review, did you? I spend at least half of the review complaining about the presence of that stuff! I wouldn't watch the show if that's all there was to it, that's for sure -- but that's not all there is to Prisma Illya. It's got a mostly good story, some good characters, good fight sequences, etc. It also doesn't descend nearly as deeply into the pits of loli-fanservice trash as, say, Majimoji Ruromu does. Maybe that's because it's mostly just bath scenes and stuff, not "there is a male harem master guy being a sexist idiot" stuff like that show, no tentacles, and no "white fluid" scenes. What is there is bad, yes... but it could be a lot worse, other animes ARE a lot worse sadly enough. Shirou does exist in Prisma Illya, and all the girls like him, but he's not very relevant and does nothing bad this time, unlike his idiotic sexism in F/SN. Anyway, if Prisma Illya was as unwatchably unpleasant as shows like Neptunia (ep. 2) or Majimoji Ruromu, I'd have dropped the franchise long ago, as I did those.

The Comic Artist and His Assistants 12

And it all ends with a karaoke song praising panties.

It starts out good enough, but towards the middle it just stops being funny. Instead it adds relationship parts, which while ok enough isn't what I was looking for in this one. It also introduces some characters that's not funny at all like the manga editor. Still some amusing stuff at the end, but nothing like in the earlier episodes.

The best parts of this was the bits between Aito and Ashisu. Some of the early stuff with Mihari was good as well. The guy who voices Aito is good at voicing the pervy dumbass, which he also did in No Game No Life (although I didn't like the character he played in that).

Fun enough in the first half of the series, so I'll give it 2.5/5 Branya:
AmYKbOF.png
AmYKbOF.png
SYLkmEt.png
gcBjZoe.png
gcBjZoe.png
You dislike chief editor? Sure, her VERY stupid "adult who looks like a child" design is bad, but she can me amusing apart from that... she's definitely not one of the better characters, but isn't the worst either.

Anyway, watch the OVAs too. You might as well, they're short.

As for comedy vs. romance, the series has romance I guess, but the problem is that there's essentially no character development, and this is true in the (recently concluded) manga as well -- basically, no one changes ever to any significant degree. This means that the "romance" is pretty limited, and I think it's meant to be more comedy than it is romance; if it was a real romance, there'd be actual progress in the relationship between Aito and Ashisu (because she's clearly the one he likes), issues, etc. None of that happens. It is kind of annoying; as a romance, the series kind of fails because there's no relationship progress or real romance, but as a comedy, perhaps it does slow down a bit. Maybe it'd have been better sticking to just the comedy, sure. At least it could have had an actual decent ending at the end of the manga... ah well.
Does Ashisu like him deep down, or does she really just pity him? The world apparently will never know!

Has the mecha genre become so stagnant that the only way to inject some sort of "style" (lol) into your work is to include awkward and out-of-place scenes of gruesome sexual assault?

I mean using rape as a convenient plot device nowadays is so old hat that its use borders on parody even in ostensibly serious works, are anime writers really this tone deaf?
This is a rhetorical question, I know the answer all too well.
Japan is a much more sexist place than the West. Anime regularly reminds me of this...

I'm pretty sure nobody thought of that when it was announced that the worst writer in history Hiroyuki Yoshino is behind it.

Mawaru PenguinDrum - Zomg! Ikuhara will save anime!!!
Kids on the slope - Zomg! Watanabe will save anime!!
Space Dandy - Zomg! Watanabe will again try to save anime!!!

Trigger will never save anime, KLK wasn't it and LWA isn't a full fledge series. Trigger = Platinum games.

;__;

Man let me tell you a story of my disappointment and profound sadness.

KLK - Zomg ! This is it! TTGL was awesome! -> watches the first few episodes filled with ridiculously stupid fanservice, bad animation and little story to feel captivated by.....embarrassingly bad

Space Dandy - zomg! This is it! Watanabe will save anime! -> watches first few episodes.....humour is hit and miss, tit jokes get old after 2 minutes, this is not the epic space adventure I thought it would be.....disappointed. This is one still hurts.

GITS (the new one) - ZOMG! This has to be it! GITS is one of the greatest anime's ever -> fuck this shit.....this isn't GITS ;__;

The only one that has kind of lived up to expectations personally are the Eva rebuild movies. We'll see if that holds after 3.0+1.0.

If you told me a couple of years back that Watanabe was going to making another space adventure anime, Trigger was going to make another fighting anime and a new Ghost in the Shell will be coming out I would be the first one to foolishly say anime is saved. In retrospect........I don't even want to look in retrospect......its just sad.

Lurky

Well, this season is only the first half of 2wei, so it doesn't have a real ending. As for the second half of 2wei, to air next year... its ending is quite unexpected, but
I can assure you that it's quite definitely not harem.
I don't know how 3rei will end, it's not over yet.

You've just ruined the entire show for me. Thank you very much. >=[
I guess that I'll just have to go watch the rest of it now while thinking about this.

You dislike chief editor? Sure, her VERY stupid "adult who looks like a child" design is bad, but she can me amusing apart from that... she's definitely not one of the better characters, but isn't the worst either.

Which character is worse then? She wasn't funny in either of the two segments in the anime where she got the main role.

Anime's been trying to be saved ever since it's inception. What everyone fails to realize is that Mad Bull 34 saved not just anime but all animation as a medium all those years ago.

Mushishi 2

Things in your eyes is certainly an effective form of body horror. Strong use of light and dark to to symbolize isolation versus companionship; Ginko literally brings them the light.

I think the first two episodes are good examples of what Mushishi series is. If you like the first two, you should like Mushishi.

Lurky

Prisma Illya 5

I know that nothing will come out of it but I think it's amusing how Kuro is still trying to steal Miyu and NTR Illya. The first half of this episode was pretty much just fanservice . There wasn't very much Illya fanservice though. :( Not bad but kind of boring and generic. The second half (actually just the end really) gets interesting and it seems like there's going to be a big fight in the next episode. I think I'll leave it at that for tonight. Good night AnimeGAF.

I guess that I'll just have to go watch the rest of it now while thinking about this.
I hope that the Fate/Kaleid series, when it ends, doesn't end with harem because if it did, they'd probably ignore the fake-yuribaiting and have an "everyone loves Shirou" ending. And I don't just mean the fake yuri with Kuro and such with characters who are way too young to have any actual relationship feelings, but really... Rin and Lluvia fight so much, sure it's supposedly because they both like Shirou, but maybe there's something more there, right? :D

Which character is worse then? She wasn't funny in either of the two segments in the anime where she got the main role.

Maybe I'm thinking more positively about her because of some scenes from the manga which may or may not ever be animated... (manga spoilers!)
the somewhat ridiculous way Mihari got hired (Her interview sure made me think she was worth hiring... yeah...), the part where the girls' underwear styles are compared, as a way of gauging their sexiness level (and Chief Editor 'wins' when she reveals she doesn't wear any)
, and such. Though even in the anime she has a few good moments, mostly when she gives actual advice, showing that she does indeed deserve her job.

Crocodile

Space Dandy - zomg! This is it! Watanabe will save anime! -> watches first few episodes.....humour is hit and miss, tit jokes get old after 2 minutes, this is not the epic space adventure I thought it would be.....disappointed. This is one still hurts.

Epic space adventure? Dandy was pretty much sold as a comedic space anthology show from day one and it has been a huge success in that regard. Obviously not everyone can like everything and as an anthology the show will be naturally more uneven than many others but I really suggest you go back to that show. You honestly sound very ignorant when talking about it :/

Maybe I'm thinking more positively about her because of some scenes from the manga which may or may not ever be animated... (manga spoilers!)
the somewhat ridiculous way Mihari got hired (Her interview sure made me think she was worth hiring... yeah...), the part where the girls' underwear styles are compared, as a way of gauging their sexiness level (and Chief Editor 'wins' when she reveals she doesn't wear any)
, and such. Though even in the anime she has a few good moments, mostly when she gives actual advice, showing that she does indeed deserve her job.

Well, I watched and rated the show based on the comedy alone. That the chief editor gives advice and deserve her job wasn't exactly that funny :p

phaze

School Days 10

takethis_e188297988ceghygd.jpg

This was actually funny and entertaining episode due to plot finally moving forward and the sheer amount of stupidity at the display.

After all the previous examples of brain deficiency, Kotonoha still managed to astound me.

<Sees her boyfriend kissing another girl>
"You're mistaken", "I'm still Makoto's girlfriend"
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

Enter Makoto:

At least she finally snapped at the end. And that subtle shot of kitchen knifes ...
zacieranierakfbbpp.gif

wonzo

Banned
tokyo 9/11 9-10

it's a good thing the directions so strong otherwise i'd probably not even bother with tomorrow's finale. five was fine when she was a batshit insane agent of chaos but that went out the window the moment they fully went into her backstory and basically summed up her motivations as being driven by brain problems from experimental drugs. doubly so that nine actually armed the atomic bomb which flies in the face of sphinx's determination to cause no casualties from their bombings. (unless that was to try and keep the heat low on them and draw out five because almost everyones mentally broken in this and it's the point aaaaaa)

they also really needed to flesh out the thing going on between twelve and lisa and there's really no chemistry between the two and it kinda feels like they've just been made bookends of a wholly pointless subplot (which is fitting for how worthless lisa was in the end.)

oh well, shibazaki still OWNS and maybe things'll work out in the end but i'm really hoping it all goes to shit and they pull a barefoot gen in the final episode to try and stick it to the warmongering rightwing ultra-nationalists. just hope there's not much censorship if they do

tl;dr: the shojo/seinen manga 7 seeds did the secret govt children training thing infinitely better than this did and you should go read it asap

jgminto

tokyo 9/11 9-10

it's a good thing the directions so strong otherwise i'd probably not even bother with tomorrow's finale. five was fine when she was a batshit insane agent of chaos but that went out the window the moment they fully went into her backstory and basically summed up her motivations as being driven by brain problems from experimental drugs. doubly so that nine actually armed the atomic bomb which flies in the face of sphinx's determination to cause no casualties from their bombings. (unless that was to try and keep the heat low on them and draw out five because almost everyones mentally broken in this and it's the point aaaaaa)

they also really needed to flesh out the thing going on between twelve and lisa and there's really no chemistry between the two and it kinda feels like they've just been made bookends of a wholly pointless subplot (which is fitting for how worthless lisa was in the end.)

oh well, shibazaki still OWNS and maybe things'll work out in the end but i'm really hoping it all goes to shit and they pull a barefoot gen in the final episode to try and stick it to the warmongering rightwing ultra-nationalists. just hope there's not much censorship if they do

tl;dr: the shojo/seinen manga 7 seeds did the secret govt children training thing infinitely better than this did and you should go read it asap

So did Monster.

phaze

Shibazaki and touching upon Japanese resentment towards its post-WW2 corset are the only decent things about TiR plot wise.

Lol, just watched Nanoha A's ep 12 again for shits and giggles. Some heavy duty firepower in that episode. I don't think I've seen magic girls as powerful as the ones in this franchise, anywhere else. It's one of the reasons I love it, heh. I always forget how friggan superpowered they all are, then I rewatch an episode and go ohhh yeah......that's insane.
I think that them being overpowered is MUCH partof the appeal.A's went so far in that direction , they tried to pass the torch in "strikers"

On that aspect , it should be good when vivid get introduced.

Don't worry the end of 2wei has something BETTER

I hope that the Fate/Kaleid series, when it ends, doesn't end with harem because if it did, they'd probably ignore the fake-yuribaiting and have an "everyone loves Shirou" ending. And I don't just mean the fake yuri with Kuro and such with characters who are way too young to have any actual relationship feelings, but really... Rin and Lluvia fight so much, sure it's supposedly because they both like Shirou, but maybe there's something more there, right? :D

But everybody already loves shirou the only way this might change IF and only if
someone use some holy grail power to give one shirou to each heroine.

Haikyuu End

I don't have too much to say that hasn't already been said, but this ended up being a really good show. The first arc wasn't particularly great, but once the cast expanded and moved on from just the Kageyama/Hinata focus (which is kind of a lesser imitation of Oofuri), the show really shined. It was well animated, with good characterization and interesting matches. Right now this would definitely have a spot in my AOTY list, but what a year it has been for sports anime.

Free! Eternal Summer 13 END

The second half of the episode felt super rushed and I thought they would be racing Rin again. Either way I really liked this season. Need a spin off with Gou next though. Haru x Makoto were truly the OTP. Sorry Rin.

Very cool how the series ended just like the promo video from years back. That was a nice sendoff.

A few years back? Wasnt it last year?

Dont see how anyone is getting makoharu out of it.

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 379 – An Opening
ByYb-UWIMAEQq_Y.png

Sakura and Hinata reconfirmed to canonically always be on the sidelines as SasuNaru takes charge of every situation smiling with nary a thought about them.

Phenomenal episode with the pincer attack and Konoha's Yellow Flash lame names for the attacks.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 101 and a Farewell to the Ichigo Era

Ichigo's goodbye was last week, this finale was really more of a bridging the gap between the Ichigo era and the Akari era. While I like Pretty Rhythm/PriPara a little more for being slightly more comical, Aikatsu is a pretty solid idol series. The strength of it is in the characters. Ichigo's grown quite a lot as a person, and while I wasn't so sure about the Dream Academy girls at first, I eventually came around to them. Sora and Kii are pretty lovable, and Mikuru is just the best. Kaede never got much to do in the whole franchise, unfortunately, and Sakura was equally pushed aside, but almost everyone had their moment to shine. We never did get a big performance with all the Zodiac outfits, but again, minor thing. Aikatsu's about a lot of things. Friendship. Hard work. Aphorisms. Even the CGI dancing has shown signs of improvement of the course of two years.

Ichigo's group accomplished a lot. They're at the top of their fields, and every possible permutation of an idol's story has been explored through their eyes. I'm grateful they introduced Akari midway through S2, instead of forcing her in as the main character next week. It makes the transition feel smooth, and the audience is endeared to her while she's still a minor character. I don't know if anybody from the Ichigo era will make cameos during the start of Akari's tenure - it'd be silly if they didn't - and I look forward to where the future will take this franchise. How many more years will it run? What new songs are waiting? And how awesome is it that one of the main cast uses LoliGothic, which is Yurika's brand as their main?

It's an end and a beginning, but in terms of time it's only a week.

Link Man

Banned
So, What were the stand out series that just aired?

It's fall and I can finally use some time to catch up.

I liked Hanayamata and Girls' Monthly Nozaki-kun. Though these are light-hearted comedies for the most part, not sure what you're looking for.

mankoto

Ao Haru Ride 12 END
So that's it then. Kou has subtly changed in character and Yuuri saying that she's going to try harder.

Overall, I'd say the series was pretty good. Although the lack of Kominato trying to communicate with Murao was kind of upsetting, but I understand why. Murao's subplot would be enough for a different series entirely. And if that was completely dived into, there wouldn't be enough time to develop anything else.

Mononoke

Banned
Glasslip 13 END

Very few times does a show make me question WHAT IT IS I'm doing with my life. How much time I've wasted watching the show. Glasslip was literally a show about nothing. And I spent 13 episodes watching nothing.

Brilliant show. Really makes one reflect on ones life.

Mononoke

Banned
School Days 10

takethis_e188297988ceghygd.jpg

This was actually funny and entertaining episode due to plot finally moving forward and the sheer amount of stupidity at the display.

After all the previous examples of brain deficiency, Kotonoha still managed to astound me.

<Sees her boyfriend kissing another girl>
"You're mistaken", "I'm still Makoto's girlfriend"
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

Enter Makoto:

At least she finally snapped at the end. And that subtle shot of kitchen knifes ...
zacieranierakfbbpp.gif

I went into school days blind. Had zero idea what it was about. I was going through my romance anime phase, and thought it would be a cute little story about lovers in school. Oh meh god.

Ruined the genre for me.

Midonin

Glasslip 13 + Final Thoughts

The show never fully hooked me. The ability to see/hear the future aspect was interesting, and I didn't have a problem with any of the characters. The concept of episode 12 was a nice change of pace. It lacked any overt drama, but I never found much among what was there, either. Hardly my least favorite show of the season, but it didn't leave much of an impression otherwise.

Mononoke

Banned
Glasslip 13 + Final Thoughts

The show never fully hooked me. The ability to see/hear the future aspect was interesting, and I didn't have a problem with any of the characters. The concept of episode 12 was a nice change of pace. It lacked any overt drama, but I never found much among what was there, either. Hardly my least favorite show of the season, but it didn't leave much of an impression otherwise.

What was worse this season? Not disputing, just kind of curious. I really wanted to love this show. I even enjoyed the slow pacing at first. But I really can't think of a show as bad as this one, in terms of just...nothing happening.

mankoto

Majimoji Rurumo 9
Forgot this show was painful to watch at times. Rurumo's inability and expressionless behavior isn't funny and is just a bad combination. Ironically, this episodes featured a new character named Haruriri and called Rurumo out on such things... And yet she was still as expressionless as ever.

Re: Hamatora 11
So impressive that this isn't the final episode because with this episode, I'm confused on what they have to do in the next episode. Pretty much everything was tied up essentially. it isn't a happy ending currently but, it wraps up everything pretty solidly though with a bit of inference.

I went into school days blind. Had zero idea what it was about. I was going through my romance anime phase, and thought it would be a cute little story about lovers in school. Oh meh god.

Ruined the genre for me.

Ruined the genre because you know you've just seen the best it could produce and everything after it could never live up to your expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom