• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
Dog Days (END)

vddLrbg.jpg

War... War is hell.

Unless, of course, you live in the world this show takes place in, where death in battle is extremely rare and warfare might as well be a game-show.

I joke, of course, because of how much I liked the show. Everything feels so serious nowadays that it is nice to sit back, relax, and enjoy a show. Dog Days is reserved and low-key, letting the super-serious moments lay by the wayside and showing life how it should be: relaxed and enjoyable.

Character wise, there isn't really a character to dislike. As for design, its hard to get any cuter that it is. And as for story, it is entertaining, while subtly building a side plot of the development of the characters and their feelings.

For anyone looking for a show that keeps things simple and easy, Dog Days is definitely one to check out.

Jex

Hunter x Hunter (2011)
You can't just sneak this in at the bottom of the page! What a comprehensive and well thought out write-up.

Anyway, I basically agree with everything you've said. Even with my significant reservations about fairly lengthy section of the Chimera ant arc the series, as a whole, its a great achievement. The consistency of both the story and the production is what makes Hunter x Hunter (2011) such an unusual beast.

I still wish it was about 20 episodes shorter, but that won't stop me from recommending it to others.

cajunator

Banned
Just watched Mirai Nikki a few days ago and I loved it. So exciting throughout! The edge was sharp, but honestly, it felt pretty appropriate for how they wanted to tell the story.

The show started to be kind of lame a little after the half way point, but the ending and subsequent ova were really good imo.

Have to say, Yuno is probably my favorite anime character right now. She is just sooo good. <3

F65VLrL.jpg

Yuno is pretty amazing but you also chose my favorite picture of her. God she's SO CUTE.

Chaika the Coffin Princess 01

She doesn't talk like this throughout does she? Cause that won't get annoying.

Yeah she does and I looooove it. but I could understand fully if you dont!
Some just dont like the moe speech tics and stuff that some characters do. Makes it stand out for me.

School Days 10

takethis_e188297988ceghygd.jpg

This was actually funny and entertaining episode due to plot finally moving forward and the sheer amount of stupidity at the display.

After all the previous examples of brain deficiency, Kotonoha still managed to astound me.

<Sees her boyfriend kissing another girl>
"You're mistaken", "I'm still Makoto's girlfriend"
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

Enter Makoto:

At least she finally snapped at the end. And that subtle shot of kitchen knifes ...
zacieranierakfbbpp.gif

Its the natural order of things when you go the harem route. Most anime just wants to sweep it under the rug. School Days bravely considers the possibilities.

Futari wa Pretty Cure 01 & 02

They have to hold hands to do their special attack.

aJb4HGs.gif

Yes indeed. Futari Wa was a really great intro to Precure. Nagisa and Honoka are memorable and likeable, but of course Honoka is the best. If I would criticize one thing, they dragged it out too much with the stupid lacrosse episodes. They were all the same and just not necessary (except for padding) Max Heart is a dull bore and I highly suggest you avoid it. Its for the best.

Joe Molotov

Yes indeed. Futari Wa was a really great intro to Precure. Nagisa and Honoka are memorable and likeable, but of course Honoka is the best. If I would criticize one thing, they dragged it out too much with the stupid lacrosse episodes. They were all the same and just not necessary (except for padding) Max Heart is a dull bore and I highly suggest you avoid it. Its for the best.

I'll probably watch it eventually for completeness. After this I'll have Max Heart, Splash Star, and Suite left.

zulux21

Now to see where they stand with pricing. Will they join NISA, Funimation and Sentai or go with something similar to Aniplex (Japanese packaging with Japanese pricing).

I'm just hoping that they price things closer to NisA levels instead of aniplex levels (I won't even bother hoping for sentai or funimation levels as it's a start up)

I don't think PCP has the same kind of catalog that Aniplex does (I.E very popular), so I'm inclined to think they will take the NISA route with regards to pricing.

zulux21

I got a profile on MAL. Same username as on here.

aside from a few shows like no game no life and sword art our ratings aren't that different :p
I may or may not be planning to attempt to do a watch bet with you at some point (perhaps next week after I get done with my 6 days in a row of work :p) if you are up for it.

my mal is the same as yours (aka my user name :p) I have been planning on trying to get more people to watch skip beat, but alas in your case Ookami to Koushinryou might be better :p

I don't think PCP has the same kind of catalog that Aniplex does (I.E very popular), so I'm inclined to think they will take the NISA route with regards to pricing.

Ideally, though I suppose it won't matter to much to me as it seems unlikely they will be dubbing stuff, thus it will be unlikely that I will buy their stuff.

phaze

It's not even done in an interesting or original way sadly.

I did like the
nuke reveal
as I thought it was a plausible course of action for them to take as opposed to the "super children."

Terror In Dull Indierock
Oh god they actually made
Sigur Ros
a plot point

You take that back. Sigur Ros are great.

Terror in Tokyo 11

Some nice visuals, really liked that shot of Nine in the elevator.Thought it was a fine ending.
Though I don't think leaving Shibazaki and Lisa made much sense. The US forces running around Tokyo with heavy gear like that stretched credulity too.
Five, Lisa and terrible Engrish were the sore points but the rest wasn't particularly enthralling either.

aside from a few shows like no game no life and sword art our ratings aren't that different :p
I may or may not be planning to attempt to do a watch bet with you at some point (perhaps next week after I get done with my 6 days in a row of work :p) if you are up for it.

my mal is the same as yours (aka my user name :p) I have been planning on trying to get more people to watch skip beat, but alas in your case Ookami to Koushinryou might be better :p

Yeah, ok. Will have to see if I got something to bet though. Your list of watched stuff is longer than mine :p

Lurky

Don't worry the end of 2wei has something BETTER

But everybody already loves shirou the only way this might change IF and only if
someone use some holy grail power to give one shirou to each heroine.

I hope that the Fate/Kaleid series, when it ends, doesn't end with harem because if it did, they'd probably ignore the fake-yuribaiting and have an "everyone loves Shirou" ending. And I don't just mean the fake yuri with Kuro and such with characters who are way too young to have any actual relationship feelings, but really... Rin and Lluvia fight so much, sure it's supposedly because they both like Shirou, but maybe there's something more there, right? :D

Wow that makes sound like something really awesome happens. You guys had better not be getting my hopes up for nothing. D:

zulux21

Yeah, ok. Will have to see if I got something to bet though. Your list of watched stuff is longer than mine :p

yup, beyond that there are a few shows that are off limits (such as stein's;gate as my wife won't let me watch that without her) and a chance that my list isn't fully up to date (I tend to forget about some shows from time to time) but yeah my list is what happens when you watch 5-10 shows each season and spend your collage years catching up on most shows you missed :p

Terror in Resonance END

Am I the only one who enjoyed this show start to finish? The classic criminal vs. detective setup, the mixing up of stuff with Five's intro, Twelve's change into a more empathetic person with Lisa, and the existential issue of having the development of why you are important be the same reason why you will be gone the moment you are truly recognized.

I dunno, I liked it.

Ryuuroden

I think that them being overpowered is MUCH partof the appeal.A's went so far in that direction , they tried to pass the torch in "strikers"

On that aspect , it should be good when vivid get introduced.

On that aspect, I kinda wish they animated the other manga that happens after StrikerS where Nanoha and company have all upgraded yet again. There is a figure of her with the upgrade, She's pretty much a flying Gundam now with CW-AEC00X Fortress & CW-AEC02X Strike Cannon upgrades. I know vivid pretty much focuses on her daughter and her daughters friends so I wonder if that upgrade will show up in that as well. I know it won't be animated of course because Japan only likes it when they are underage girls and not when they are adults -.-

fertygo

Terror in Resonance END

Am I the only one who enjoyed this show start to finish? The classic criminal vs. detective setup, the mixing up of stuff with Five's intro, Twelve's change into a more empathetic person with Lisa, and the existential issue of having the development of why you are important be the same reason why you will be gone the moment you are truly recognized.

I dunno, I liked it.

Only me and you maybe. lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wow that makes sound like something really awesome happens. You guys had better not be getting my hopes up for nothing. D:

They lie, I don't even watch it or pay much attention to the series aside from what I come across due to being a fan of a few of nasu's works, but currently that's not whats going on.

Parallel universe Shirou that's more like his VN self and wanked up to the moon implies none of that is happening, hell they pretty much aped the VN

Terror in Resonance 11 END

Started strong, ended strong. The middle was disappointing but all the same I am rather pleased with this show. I think Lisa needed some reworking and Five needed better motivations but most of the characters were pretty good. Whilst a very minor point Shibazaki's relationship with his daughter was wonderfully done and showed a sensibility toward human relationships that I feel is all too missing from most anime. Lisa on the other hand was a moeblob who had no growth, motivation or status. I understand her existing to be a character caught along for this crazy ride, but she doesn't seem to be experiencing anything at all, her character's actions are as if they are all happening to someone else.

The American's goals were pretty clear and their actions in the last episode very well reasoned, but the middle part of the show has them being bossed around by this teenager whilst they setup a plan to kill innocent people. I know there is this whole shtick in Japanese media about how the are completely subservient to the US (there is this same trope in UK stuff too) but I do think they took it too far without adequately explaining why the Americans were playing such poor hands. The fact that they knew exactly where Nine and Twelve were hanging out but didn't arrest them immediately is pretty inexcusable. The Americans are supposed to be ruthless and self-serving (see this episode) but for most of the show they are dumb and mindless with no apparent regard for civilian lives. And the idea that the Japanese politicians and leaders are so spineless that they would just lay down and let this happen is a bit much of an insult to level without explanation of any mitigating factors whatsoever.

I think the show could've gone more into the effect that the EMP blast had, though I can understand a reservation on distracting the viewer with meaningless guesswork. I still would've preferred it to the segment featuring Lisa and the VON playing around as if this was a romance show. Like seriously?

I think I'll wait over before giving this show an official score, but it's definitely leaning in the 7-8 range. It's a very entertaining show but hampered but a few poor characters and plot decisions that seem manufactured for drama rather than making any logical sense.

Kikirin

Finished HaNaYaMaTa. Solid overall though somewhat disappointed by the lack of full-choreography yosakoi dancing for the OP. OP and ED are among my favorites for the season. The scene in the last ep where
the girls were commenting on how Naru was now dazzling/sparkling/etc.
hit me right in the feels.

cajunator

Banned
lol no. I mean, School Days is fine if you don't take it seriously. I can see how the type of story appeals to people. It's pretty ridiculous and could be fun. It just ruined the genre for me, because I generally found, a lot of Anime romance to either I. Be depressing as fuck. II. Have an ending with no pay off.

School Days kind of just capped it off for me. I couldn't take the emotional abuse anymore (obviously exaggerating) lol If I was in the right frame of mind, I could see School Days being hilarious. I had just seen a strung of Anime where things went south (and not in an over the top way like School Days). So I was like FUCK THIS.

School Days is pretty unique in what it did, I think thats why it stands out in the crowded genre. Have you watched Full Moon O Sagashite? Now THAT is a depressing story but I love how it ends.

But you have a Taiga avatar...

Taiga transcends a lot of things, including her own faults!

Crunchyroll's got another worldwide (except Asia) simulcast with Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru. Thursdays at 11:19am PT starting October 16.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...oll-to-stream-yuki-yuna-wa-yusha-de-aru-anime

------------------------------------

What's more interesting though is the news that Pony Canyon is apparently getting involved with the R1 market:

Their new English site also confirms that Denki-gai no Honya-san will be on CR as well. Thursdays at 7:30am PT, starting October 2.

edit: more on PonyCan USA:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ches-north-american-anime-distributor-ponycan

Hmmm. Interesting about Pony Canyon. I have seen that name a lot over the years. Wonder if anything obscure will pop up.
That PV video seems to contain lots of cuties so Im interested.

The music in that video is excellent thats for sure. It has me interested.

And miss Makoto's episode? Your loss.

This. so much this. You cant properly judge idolm@ster series without seeing MAkotos episodes.

I'm surprised there are people that still don't know about this episode when even shit like Madoka episode 3 is posted willy nilly.

I really dont like how people will poke and prod and give hints and such like that. People arent dumb. they know something is up. It diminishes the effect. Problem is when a show has an iconic event or story, people who have seen it are just chomping at the bit to discuss it. MAkes it hard to just stay quiet and avoid ruining it.

Jex

KnK was pretty bad, but Chuu2's finale is really the low point of post-Hyouka kyoamigos.

It's like finding a group of sherpas who just climbed mount everest wallowing in a strip club after descending.

I don't think it's worth talking about the worst post-Hyouka anime that KyoAni have made because that's just a depressing conversation.

The Rose of Versailles - 09

When one sun sets, another will rise. In this episode, the King falls ill and everyone in the court shows there true nature in how the handle the situation, from du Barry to the King's daughters, and even the guards. Seriously, these guys are assholes.

Although I've been enjoying the series to this point, I've found something that kinda annoys me, which is how spoiler-iffic the narration can be. From
the love affair between Antoinette and Fersen
to
Madame du Barry's execution in the future
, I would've preferred to be kept in the dark on those up until the time had come. I'm also gonna miss
Madame du Barry, though Jeanne seems to be her replacement for the series given the next episode is about her

Futari wa Pretty Cure 01 & 02

They have to hold hands to do their special attack.

aJb4HGs.gif
Well holding hand was some freaking awesome untill they cut the idea because they couldn't do a show about people holding hands when you have +4 people ( heack Yes! still did some special holding hand attacks .. but futari wa will ALWAYS be the best in that category.

Something awesome happens .
You either wait for the S2 of 2wei or you go read the manga.

On that aspect, I kinda wish they animated the other manga that happens after StrikerS where Nanoha and company have all upgraded yet again. There is a figure of her with the upgrade, She's pretty much a flying Gundam now with CW-AEC00X Fortress & CW-AEC02X Strike Cannon upgrades. I know vivid pretty much focuses on her daughter and her daughters friends so I wonder if that upgrade will show up in that as well. I know it won't be animated of course because Japan only likes it when they are underage girls and not when they are adults -.-
As far as i'm aware , there is Force and Vivid. Force was crap ... vivid not only was less crap , had better characters , a much more understanding of the technique side of all that magic thing ..
Vivid is much superior and it's not the SDburton in me that speaks.

Lurky

They lie, I don't even watch it or pay much attention to the series aside from what I come across due to being a fan of a few of nasu's works, but currently that's not whats going on.

Parallel universe Shirou that's more like his VN self and wanked up to the moon implies none of that is happening, hell they pretty much aped the VN
THAT'S NOT THE TWIST I WANTED! WHY GOD WHY? IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN THIS WAY! ;_;
Something awesome happens .
You either wait for the S2 of 2wei or you go read the manga.

Are ya'll trying to get my hopes up to crush it again?

cajunator

Banned
Dog Days (END)

War... War is hell.

Unless, of course, you live in the world this show takes place in, where death in battle is extremely rare and warfare might as well be a game-show.

I joke, of course, because of how much I liked the show. Everything feels so serious nowadays that it is nice to sit back, relax, and enjoy a show. Dog Days is reserved and low-key, letting the super-serious moments lay by the wayside and showing life how it should be: relaxed and enjoyable.

Character wise, there isn't really a character to dislike. As for design, its hard to get any cuter that it is. And as for story, it is entertaining, while subtly building a side plot of the development of the characters and their feelings.

For anyone looking for a show that keeps things simple and easy, Dog Days is definitely one to check out.

Its so upbeat and adorable. Nothing is taken too seriously and it has SO MUCH MOFUWA. Did you watch the second season yet?

I'll probably watch it eventually for completeness. After this I'll have Max Heart, Splash Star, and Suite left.

I strongly urge you to reconsider Max Heart. It is HORRIBLE. Like not just bad or poorly written, or simply boring, its HORRIBLE. If you insist on going that route its up to you but you might drink yourself into a stupor over it.

Tenumi

Banned
Its so upbeat and adorable. Nothing is taken too seriously and it has SO MUCH MOFUWA. Did you watch the second season yet?

Not yet. Gotta wait a little first, get some things settled before I can.

I hope my schedule doesn't become too cluttered once Fall season starts. Going from 2 or 3 running shows to 7 or 8 is going to be quite a jump. Assuming, of course, I don't drop most of them.

Terror in Resonance 11 END

Watching that OP one last time, this show could've and should've been so much better then it was.

Direction and music were really strong this episode, and it was a good enough ending all things considered. But I feel like whenever someone mentions this show in the future I won't look back and think "Yeah, that had really good direction and music, but I wish it would've come together a little bit better story wise" I'll probably think "God I hate Five so fucking much."

I just don't know how to feel about it.

Edit: By the way, when does the Fall thread go up? I thought the first show started today or tomorrow?
Femmeworth?
Dresden?
Narag?

The Rose of Versailles - 10

We go back to the set of Les Miserables and check up on Jeanne and Rosalie as the two meet up for the first time since Jeanne left. Jeanne was more of a Madame du Barry 2.0 than I was thinking she would be, holy shit. She even used the same tactics that du Barry did (i.e. arson and forgery) as well as using her "lover" to get what she wants. On another note, I'm gonna have to call Oscar out on being insensitive when
Rosalie tried to sell herself to her, knowing that she didn't know she was a woman

Re; Hamatora 12
Guess they couldn't give up that potential future season money and had to reset everything for the protagonists. Overall, held up pretty good. Stay true to its theme of the ego. Also felt decently dark in contrast to the first season. The fights were pretty solid too all considered and Skill and Hajime being opposites was an interesting twist as well as
Skill getting killed at the same time as Nice. And somehow, Skill's Heart was used to keep Nice alive
They still didn't quite explain how Nice survived though.
Don't really like the inconsistency between seasons I've now noticed.
Checked back and Hajime's Minimum was definitely not how Nihilist works though had the same trigger. There are probably other inconsistencies but they clearly had starting making the second season by the time the first season was finishing up. They could have thought one of their biggest plot points through by that point.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Rose of Versailles - 09
Although I've been enjoying the series to this point, I've found something that kinda annoys me, which is how spoiler-iffic the narration can be. From
the love affair between Antoinette and Fersen
to
Madame du Barry's execution in the future
, I would've preferred to be kept in the dark on those up until the time had come. I'm also gonna miss
Madame du Barry, though Jeanne seems to be her replacement for the series given the next episode is about her
Your "spoilers" are literally history.

Quasar

Branduil

Terror in Resonance 11

This episode basically shows that Five should have never existed. There are still a number of writing problems, but it's a much stronger episode than previous ones. The
nuke
scene in particular with the angelic harmonies in the OST and the intercutting between all the principal characters was very well done. It's just not enough to save the overall show, in the end. The script really needed a few more rewrites.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Nuclear stuff was awfully heavy handed but at the same time illustrated how each head of cattle could posses more power than the King by virtue of human evolution and the science that&#8217;s a result of it.
This part almost made me drop the show. The whole Chimera Ant arc suffers from exposition-overdose, but then it goes on to teach about the horrors of war in the most Hideo Kojima-esque fashion and then I have to wonder whether they were trying to do satire or what.

I'm glad I kept up with it though. The end of that arc doesn't exculpate the awful pacing, but it's worth watching it in itself at least.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 38-43

There's been a lot of things happening in the interim since I let episodes build up. Fever dreams (and the return of Nadeshiko), stage shows and the first talking cards, plus the first two that had to be captured as a pair, training Sakura for Twin's mischief, strawberries and the slightly trippy Dream episode. The show's got a pretty good sense of continuity to it - like how it referenced the Cinderella play from S1 in Sakura's gender-blind casting of Sleeping Beauty. I'm going to miss having Meiling around. She added to the group dynamic in a good way, but as an anime-original character, she couldn't stick around forever, I suppose.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hope that the Fate/Kaleid series, when it ends, doesn't end with harem because if it did, they'd probably ignore the fake-yuribaiting and have an "everyone loves Shirou" ending. And I don't just mean the fake yuri with Kuro and such with characters who are way too young to have any actual relationship feelings, but really... Rin and Lluvia fight so much, sure it's supposedly because they both like Shirou, but maybe there's something more there, right? :D

Rin just doesn't know she's into girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom