• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gurren Lagann 08

sarUNiD.jpg

Well... Damn. It got me :p

Where to from here though? Will be interesting to find out.

Mononoke

Banned
Ruined the genre because you know you've just seen the best it could produce and everything after it could never live up to your expectations?

lol no. I mean, School Days is fine if you don't take it seriously. I can see how the type of story appeals to people. It's pretty ridiculous and could be fun. It just ruined the genre for me, because I generally found, a lot of Anime romance to either I. Be depressing as fuck. II. Have an ending with no pay off.

School Days kind of just capped it off for me. I couldn't take the emotional abuse anymore (obviously exaggerating) lol If I was in the right frame of mind, I could see School Days being hilarious. I had just seen a strung of Anime where things went south (and not in an over the top way like School Days). So I was like FUCK THIS.

lol no. I mean, School Days is fine if you don't take it seriously. I can see how the type of story appeals to people. It's pretty ridiculous and could be fun. It just ruined the genre for me, because I generally found, a lot of Anime romance to either I. Be depressing as fuck. II. Have an ending with no pay off.

School Days kind of just capped it off for me. I couldn't take the emotional abuse anymore (obviously exaggerating) lol If I was in the right frame of mind, I could see School Days being hilarious. I had just seen a strung of Anime where things went south (and not in an over the top way like School Days). So I was like FUCK THIS.

But you have a Taiga avatar...

Glasslip 13 END

Very few times does a show make me question WHAT IT IS I'm doing with my life. How much time I've wasted watching the show. Glasslip was literally a show about nothing. And I spent 13 episodes watching nothing.

Brilliant show. Really makes one reflect on ones life.
Well at least we made it, we finally finished this show.

Articalys

Crunchyroll's got another worldwide (except Asia) simulcast with Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru. Thursdays at 11:19am PT starting October 16.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...oll-to-stream-yuki-yuna-wa-yusha-de-aru-anime

------------------------------------

What's more interesting though is the news that Pony Canyon is apparently getting involved with the R1 market:
This one comes in conjunction with PONYCAN USA, a new label established for Pony Canyon's entrance into the North American home video market.
Their new English site also confirms that Denki-gai no Honya-san will be on CR as well. Thursdays at 7:30am PT, starting October 2.

edit: more on PonyCan USA:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ches-north-american-anime-distributor-ponycan
In addition to worldwide streaming, PONYCAN has plans to begin releasing new anime titles on Blu-ray and DVD throughout North America in 2015, promising the same high standard of quality as the Japanese editions. The first two titles coming out of PONYCAN are Denki-Gai no Honya-san and Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru. PONYCAN also has future plans to launch new anime for worldwide streaming on a regular basis.

Gurren Lagann 09

Still a lot of fighting to do.

Simon seems to have been hit the worst by the recent events, and then a mysterious new character appears. A not so surprising reveal of who she is at the end of the episode too.

Midonin

Crunchyroll's got another worldwide (except Asia) simulcast with Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru. Thusdays a 11:19am PT starting October 16.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...oll-to-stream-yuki-yuna-wa-yusha-de-aru-anime

What's more interesting though is the news that Pony Canyon is apparently getting involved with the R1 market:

Their new English site also confirms that Denki-gai no Honya-san will be on CR as well. Thursdays at 7:30am PT, starting October 2.
TBS' shows are almost a surefire bet for Crunchyroll, and Danna is from the same shorts studio as Ai Mai Mii, so all of my (initial) Thursday shows are more or less set. Yuyuyu and Denki-gai are both what I wanted to watch, so I welcome it.

As far as Friday goes, Funi has Spread Wixoss, that's not even a question. The big question is if CR has Garo, because otherwise I'm going to have to go into overtime.

Mononoke

Banned
But you have a Taiga avatar...

What is wrong with a Taiga avatar....

I loved Toradora! Both the anime and the LN.

EDIT: Oh you mean Taiga being an abusive person? It's true I don't care for Tsundre types. But I thought Taiga had a lot more emotional issues going on underneath that explained her actions. It didn't justify them, by any means. But at least, it made me like the character a lot more on the whole. The LN was even better IMO at fleshing that aspect out.

OR if you mean the ending of Toradora. I'll admit, the ending left me really disappointed. Especially after reading the LN. It really does feel like the anime botched the final run of episodes. But I still loved the overall anime.

I don't really get the comparison between Shool Days and Toradora! though. Totally different kinds of story.

Clov

Crunchyroll's got another worldwide (except Asia) simulcast with Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru. Thursdays at 11:19am PT starting October 16.

That stuff about Pony Canyon is exciting news. Wonder what they'll release, and how they'll release them?

I think they're the ones that released the Angel's Egg Blu-Ray. Maybe, just maybe there's a slim chance...

PK Gaming

What is wrong with a Taiga avatar....

I loved Toradora! Both the anime and the LN.

EDIT: Oh you mean Taiga being an abusive person? It's true I don't care for Tsundre types. But I thought Taiga had a lot more emotional issues going on underneath that explained her actions. It didn't justify them, by any means. But at least, it made me like the character a lot more on the whole. The LN was even better IMO at fleshing that aspect out.

OR if you mean the ending of Toradora. I'll admit, the ending left me really disappointed. Especially after reading the LN. It really does feel like the anime botched the final run of episodes. But I still loved the overall anime.

I don't really get the comparison between Shool Days and Toradora! though. Totally different kinds of story.

I think he's referring to the fact that they're both highschool romance animes. Though Toradora's more of a lighthearted romantic comedy.

Mononoke

Banned
I think he's referring to the fact that they're both highschool romance animes. Though Toradora's more of a lighthearted romantic comedy.

Ah, well. I'm not against highschool romances lol. Whatever. I shouldn't even have made that post. School Days is the best thing ever.

Busaiku

Is it over? I saw the first 3 episodes, and loved them. But then I decided to wait until it was over. I keep hearing worse and worse things about it (as the show went on). =/

Wondering if it's even worth jumping in at this point.

I don't really think so.
I mean, I wasn't too big on the earlier episodes either, but it definitely got worse.

zulux21

Is it over? I saw the first 3 episodes, and loved them. But then I decided to wait until it was over. I keep hearing worse and worse things about it (as the show went on). =/

Wondering if it's even worth jumping in at this point.

I can't say for sure until I watch the final episode, but at this time I wouldn't recommend finishing it since they introduce a character around ep 4 and that character basically ruined the entire show. Unless the final episode delivers amazingly, terror will likely be my most disappointing anime of the season (not worst, but the anime I had highest expectations for given the staff behind it and was left with shattered expectations.)

Defuser

Terror in Resonance END
lol Twelve, just can't die in peace like Nine, just had to be shot to die lol. Why can't Lisa die instead of those 2?

It was not a fun ride for this show, I rather have those 2 vs Shibazaki for the whole show but it just had to have Five and Lisa ruined the whole fucking thing.

Clov

As Articalys pointed out with that edit, it looks like Pony Canyon will be releasing their own BDs and DVDs here! I wonder what they'll be releasing. Current shows are pretty much a sure thing; I'd expect the two titles Crunchyroll got from them to have a disk release. Will they do older shows as well? It'll be interesting to see.

zulux21

Terror in Resonance END
It was not a fun ride for this show, I rather have those 2 vs Shibazaki for the whole show but it just had to have Five and Lisa ruined the whole fucking thing.

to be fair I could have dealt with Lisa just fine on her own. She was a poorly implemented tool to show the main characters human side, but still served her purpose well enough (again haven't quite watched the last episode so I can't be sure she didn't screw up stuff there).

My least favorite scenes with Lisa were the ones where Five was involved. Five was a terrible character who was merely a tool to add drama and was done so poorly that any decent drama she would have added was ruined by the character itself. As I said before, I think if she had been introduced as a third party (working with a rich backer) it would have been better. A lot of my issues with her were due to the fact that she was working for a government branch, crapping all over the police, and was at least 10 times more a treat to the safety of the citizens then the people with an atomic bomb (still could have been as a third party and I would have a lot less issue believing the people she works with were ok with her trying to bomb the airport that way.). Had you had her being a psycho as a third party but the police and the terrorists working their best to stop her (the police unsure what was going on but shibazaki figuring out it was a third party and working to stop both other sides, the main characters having an idea) things likely could have been properly risen in tension. Instead we got a mess of ideas that usually ended with... I am gonna bomb innocent people to make them play with me because me trying to catch them isn't enough reason for them to be afraid of me.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, thanks for the reply guys. I'll probably watch it later down the line (in a year or two if I'm bored). But I don't think I'll jump back in at this point. Sounds like the anime has a lot going for it (in terms of the animation/art and the music), but that it fails miserably in the script side of things.

As Articalys pointed out with that edit, it looks like Pony Canyon will be releasing their own BDs and DVDs here! I wonder what they'll be releasing. Current shows are pretty much a sure thing; I'd expect the two titles Crunchyroll got from them to have a disk release. Will they do older shows as well? It'll be interesting to see.
Their two shows on their international site are definitely getting a disc release. Most, if not all, of their titles they distribute in Japan have international rights held by other companies, so it's unlikely they'll be able to distribute them in the NA market. I expect this will change going forward (I'm curious regarding KyoAni just partnering with them and leaving out TBS/Asahi/other TV studios in the future) but their catalog isn't going to have anything right now (unless a NA company gives up the rights and Pony can get them).

Berserk - 06

Hell yeah, strongest episode yet. Time for Guts to get a taste for mythical creatures

Kinda weird how
Zodd-san didn't kill Guts/Griffith
just because Griffith had the egg necklace. He just gives a friendly advice and flies off. Minutes earlier he was gonna tear him limb from limb

JoeFu

Banned
So I'm watching Im@s and I just finished episode 16. That has to be the worst episode of anything I've seen in a long time. I was enjoying the show until the stupid 961 plot point with the overly evil "the others guys are dirty lololol" president. I don't feel like watching more if it continues to be that stupid. Holy crap.

Clov

Their two shows on their international site are definitely getting a disc release. Most, if not all, of their titles they distribute in Japan have international rights held by other companies, so it's unlikely they'll be able to distribute them in the NA market. I expect this will change going forward (I'm curious regarding KyoAni just partnering with them and leaving out TBS/Asahi/other TV studios in the future) but their catalog isn't going to have anything right now (unless a NA company gives up the rights and Pony can get them).

Yeah, I remember you mentioning before that it was rare for Pony Canyon to hold the international rights to an anime. It'll definitely be interesting on what this will mean for the future, especially with regards to KyoAni's work.

As a brief aside, I know Pony Canyon released the BD for Angel's Egg in Japan, but naturally that doesn't mean they own the international rights. Do you know who does? It was licensed at one point by Manga Entertainment, but they unfortunately canceled it. That's something that will frustrate me to no end.

rrvv

So I'm watching Im@s and I just finished episode 16. That has to be the worst episode of anything I've seen in a long time. I was enjoying the show until the stupid 961 plot point with the overly evil "the others guys are dirty lololol" president. I don't feel like watching more if it continues to be that stupid. Holy crap.

Chihaya arc is the worse one. But Haruna arc after that is really worth it

TUSR

Banned

Lucky for you, based Trigger did episode 17.

It saves anime the series.

As a brief aside, I know Pony Canyon released the BD for Angel's Egg in Japan, but naturally that doesn't mean they own the international rights. Do you know who does? It was licensed at one point by Manga Entertainment, but they unfortunately canceled it. That's something that will frustrate me to no end.

My best guess is Tokuma Shoten as one of their heads produced the OVA and that firm was in charge of selling all the disc versions (though Pony distributed the BD version).

cajunator

Banned
Still the greatest AMV ever made.

Some of my favorites:

Angelic Layer Path of Deus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx6B69sFsi4

Life's gonna suck (various)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlLDM0CA1mI

Animix project (various) - this one is EPIC. So much energy and 90s dance music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXYeDzcRggY

I also liked the AMV Hell series, though I wont post those because they are decidedly NSFW.

Check out Ange Cross. I hear it's something else.

This show will tear us all apart

Fans are nuts and anime is creatively bankrupt.

Nothing new here, move along.

Fan is quite literally short for "fanatic" so naturally they should be crazy. Properly crazy.

Hall Om Mig is one of the best

Clov

My best guess is Tokuma Shoten as one of their heads produced the OVA and that firm was in charge of selling all the disc versions (though Pony distributed the BD version).

Interesting. I'm still holding out hope that someone like Discotek will be able to license it in the future, but who knows. Thanks!

D-Frag 1-3

This was a show recommended by Mike Hattsu that I had missed from before, and I'm really enjoying it now, especially the fake club vs. "real" club rivalry that is the main premise of the show. Good stuff so far.

I'm surprised there are people that still don't know about this episode when even shit like Madoka episode 3 is posted willy nilly.

I went into Madoka blind as well earlier this year :p

Only show I knew at least something about what was gonna happen was School Days. Well... And Usagi Drop, but that got nothing to do with the anime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom