• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free! Eternal Summer EngDub Episode 3

Such a hilarious episode with the writing and lines. Loved the times when Haru was like Im truly flabbergasted beyond words, and Nagisa was like Holy Mackerel.

Oh and Momo and Rin in the room scene. Cant wait to buy this on BD and watch seasonally.

Deadly

Gate ep 2
Those poor phanlax bastards, nothing can stop bullets especially armor piercing rounds....and mortars. Hurrah! Elf girl is here!
The SDF mowing down the medieval armies was pretty hilarious/sad. I'm guessing protag is going to get sick soon since the king said to poison the wells.

Mandelbo

Gakkou Gurashi 01

I really appreciate all the effort they went to making this seem as unassuming as possible, right down to the OST. They even got Mosaic.wav to do music for it! If that's not dedication, I don't know what is. I especially liked that Yuki's classmates didn't look like background characters,
fooling the viewer into thinking that they'd be more than just figments of Yuki's mind, leading them down entirely the wrong path.
The little hints sprinkled throughout were great too - the
broken windows in the hallway that were only visible for a second, the grave marker in the bed of crops, The Stand, the notes on the blackboard...
all of them were really well done I thought, and had I not
already known what was going to happen I probably would have been fooled.

Having read some of the manga, I found that I spent most of the episode wondering when they were going to do it and how they were going to do it - the execution of the twist was different from how it was done in the manga, and I personally prefer how it was done there. Instead of a
slow reveal of reality I was expecting more a jump cut between Yuki's delusion of the world and what reality actually looks like, with the delusion having lots in the way of chatter from students, peppy music along with Yuki's dialogue, then cutting away to reality with all audio cut apart from Yuki's one-sided conversation.
That was really my only disappointment, though.
I don't remember seeing Yuki's classmates during the first few chapters. Are they seen later on in the manga or were they added for the anime?

ckohler

They do. I believe they do to through various promotions when advertising on other sites/podcasts. So it's not particularly hard to get a 30-day free trail.

Dangit! Sorry guys. I didn't know. Not only did I deprive someone else of 48 hours, I deprived myself of 28 days! :p

As someone who didn't read the Prison School manga.

I'm not sure I get the point of the first episode being too fast. Right now I will read it as "they didn't animate my favourite part" tier criticism.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No Soma this week, it's a recap :'( Just Classroom Crisis for me I guess.

LOL

You gotta be fuckin' shitting me. Recaps are like 10 times worse than just saying "no episode" because you know it wasted at least 1 guy's time somewhere.

dan2026

As someone who didn't read the Prison School manga.

I'm not sure I get the point of the first episode being too fast. Right now I will read it as "they didn't animate my favourite part" tier criticism.

Its more they dont allow any one joke or scene time to breathe before burning on full pelt to the next.

Its more they dont allow any one joke or scene time to breathe before burning on full pelt to the next.

Not sure if celebrating and streching the Prison School jokes would make them better.

I'm a Seitokai Yakuindomo fan though, so I don't really have a problem if a show fires the jokes like a machine gun.

LOL

You gotta be fuckin' shitting me. Recaps are like 10 times worse than just saying "no episode" because you know it wasted at least 1 guy's time somewhere.

Yup hence why I made sure to post about it here.

Classroom Crisis 2

Boring. This show is boring, boring, boring. The premise was so interestinglast week, but for almost 20mins today all I was doing was let the show play while I browsed through twitter on my phone. The very last part was interesting, but goddamn did it drag. I'll give it another episode but this may just a be a drop for me.

Jarmel

Banned
Prison School-1

Besides the fucked up pacing, the episode is ugly as sin too. Art direction feels non-existent at times.

This is just a complete butchering.

jbug617

Banned
Beyond the Boundary LE

CJlNxJ2VEAAtqJn.jpg:large

For curiosity I've watched the first two episodes of Gate, to see how it's the adaptation. It is lacking.
At it's best, if you squint just enough, this story's charm comes from being a trashy as hell B-series romp, so taking out the gore it's a mistake. So there should be guts and blood for everyone!
I mean, I'm sure as hell the charm won't come from being a detailed and realistic procedural of the clash of interdimensional cultures. Because it isn't, lol.
The pace is equivalent to the manga, It's not faster or slower. But... it's by the nature of comics to be read faster than you can watch the same in anime, and that effective faster pace is more appropriate for this work, if only because you will waste less time in this trashy thing.

phaze

Dangit! Sorry guys. I didn't know. Not only did I deprive someone else of 48 hours, I deprived myself of 28 days! :p

Are you sure using that pass locks you away from that ? That seems overly harsh. Not sure how it works for 30 day trials now ( I remember starting crunchyroll with it but I don't even remember how I got it then ;p) but I'm seeing 14 day one available on their site https://www.crunchyroll.com/freetrial. Though it might work only for setting up a new account ? Do check it out maybe you can get it too.

There are definitely ways Prison School should be better but I didn't go into it thinking "This will be as good as the manga" I went in going "Hanakana voices Hana and that's dope" and was satisfied. I bet we will be doing this same thing in 13 weeks when One Punch Man doesn't look as good as the manga, although I hope the pacing will be better there

But more importantly where the fuck is Symphogear CR???????

Jarmel

Banned
There are definitely ways Prison School should be better but I didn't go into it thinking "This will be as good as the manga" I went in going "Hanakana voices Hana and that's dope" and was satisfied. I bet we will be doing this same thing in 13 weeks when One Punch Man doesn't look as good as the manga, although I hope the pacing will be better there

I didn't expect it to be manga level either but I also didn't expect it to be this bad. I had forgotten most of the earlier chapters but it's still dead obvious this is rushed to hell.

Prison School 1

That was a pretty good. Got some laughs, the running corridor scene was so good.

I dont get the pacing problems. It was pretty faithful from chapter 1 to 6. I dont see signs of butchering.

The art is nice. Never expected the anime art to be on the level of the manga.

I didn't expect it to be manga level either but I also didn't expect it to be this bad. I had forgotten most of the earlier chapters but it's still dead obvious this is rushed to hell.

If you re-read first few chapters you will find out they didn't skip anything, well maybe 1 or 2 pages.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 129

The only good thing about this middle school girl gang episode is more Benten.
Ataru is such an asshole, his reaction after he lost the bet. lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rushed yes, bad, no. I got a few laughs and revisited my memories of the earlier chapters so it did about as much as it needed.

The question is will they keep up this pace when they approach the segments that need to be drawn out for maximum effect or will they just bulldoze through part 1? Then we can decide if it's bad or, "servicable".

phaze

Mushishi 08

I may be wrong, coming back to this show after a long while, but these stories seem to be getting more and more depressing the further I delve into the series. At this rate, I will be swallowing bottles of antidepressants at the end of the season. Even if they focused more on acceptance rather than loss here.

Liked this one quite a lot. The plot reminded me a bit of 5cm per Second. (Shinkai you fraud !)The fact that Ginko didn't have any magic solution to the mushi problem and was more of an observer to the whole tale made it a refreshing episode. The sudden hope for a happy ending and the subsequent crushing of it was well executed. Good stuff.

Classroom Crisis 02

The intro gives an excuse of why the hell a megacoorp has a high school, even if it's a specialized one like theirs, it's a tradition related to the founding of the company.

In any case, this is a typical second episode, in the sense that the first tried catch our attention with more flash and fury, and this slow down things as it's time to do some exposition (in the shape of a tv documentary even), in both the setting and in the specifics of the situation of the protagonists. Not the most thrilling episode.

The teacher getting teary with his own previous speech was funny and pathetic.

The plot seems fairly straightforward. I predict something like: super serious, cutthroat and hardworking boss/transfer student has the orders of dismantling the class, but over the course of the series he discovers friendship and teamwork and the value of the class blah blah blah and at some point turn sides and will help the class to survive. Well, it will be also because he is at odds with his bigger brother, who clearly want to dispose of him as he sees him as a menace in the company, so if he can get successful with the division and thanks to that ascend in the corporate ladder and at the same time sticking it up to his brother, even better. I suppose it will be a mix of these two narrative threads.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Haly's Tonnura-san avatar makes me laugh almost every time I see it.

VEL3jgO.png

Ushio to Tora 2

ROT7wfH.jpg

Man are Asako and Ushio's interactions great.

This anime is too good. The comedy was on point and made me laugh various times. It was such an enjoyable episode, I loved seeing Ushio and Tora's interactions together. It felt really dynamic and seeing Tora totally surprised at a TV was Hilarious to watch. Mappa has done a great job so far. The animation still looks good as well as the OST. This show is definitely one of my favorite this season, it's just so enjoyable.

Opening and Ending are great.

javac

Texhnolyze is a great show, something about it just grabbed me with the first episode, I remember watching it one night and became entranced by it, couldn't stop watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom