• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
Prison School 1

This would have been excellent if they didn't try to cram 1.5 episodes worth of content into 1 episode ;_;

The later chapters are better, I hope they slow down in future episodes. Are they really going to cram the entire first arc into 12-13 episodes?

You're right, its more like 0%

This is amazing <3
tumblr_m3vj4o3Rhp1r3zat8.gif

wonzo

Banned
Prison School 1

prisonschool1.jpg

This was a great opener and I don't get the complaints about pacing at all, if anything it'll make the beginning chapters much easier to get through. My only real worry is the excessive censorship might ruin a bit coming up in the next few eps which was the point where I realised just how brilliant this series is.

comparing tokyo ghoul trash to this intellectual masterpiece lmfao

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
prison school's early chapters just aren't that great compared to what comes later, so long as they reign in the pacing when it matters it's fine by me

Pooya

as long as they get all the plotting scenes and their execution well, I'm ok with this Prison School. The censorship is way too extreme though.

Prison School 1

prisonschool1.jpg

This was a great opener and I don't get the complaints about pacing at all, if anything it'll make the beginning chapters much easier to get through. My only real worry is the excessive censorship might ruin a bit coming up in the next few eps which was the point where I realised just how brilliant this series is.

comparing tokyo ghoul trash to this intellectual masterpiece lmfao

I mean I love Prison School and think it's amazing but it's not a intellectual masterpiece. That would be Me and the Devil Blues which is superior to Prison School and Akira Hiramoto's best work.

So yeah.

Cornbread78

The MC in Monster Musume isn't a loser though?

No, great punch thrown in ep.1, he's worth it. It's all Mrs. Smith's fault he gets stuck with the anime blue ball syndrome...

Barakamon 1-5

This show is just so good. All of the characters are great, and seeing the protagonist's progression as he learns with them is just amazing. Also, seeing a beach episode with no revealing swimsuits or fan service? This is too good. Just pure fun and great writing with no need for tropes. HOW DID I MISS THIS LAST YEAR.

Yeah, the cast is excellent and there is a great feel to the show. Oh and Naru..

Gbraga

GATE 2

I actually quite liked it, they didn't come up with any bullshit excuse to make the battle even, and the military destroys them as they should, but they still came up with a pretty believable setup for making the main squad vulnerable and weak in comparison to what lies beyond the gate. Very excited to see the kind of shit they'll get into.

Good luck fighting that thing!

Classroom Crisis 2

Nah, just kidding, I'm not watching this.

Puruzi

Banned
Touche :p

It's not that he's a loser so much as he's a nothing. Nothing distinguishs him from any other human being anywhere and the girls fall for him because he's "nice". Generic to a fault.
What exactly do you want a harem protagonist to be? He actually fights for the girls at least. Dunno why anyone expects anything more.

Andrew J.

ban ur posting

My actual thoughts, now.

Bikini Warriors 01

The one decent gag this show was capable of supporting couldn't even be stretched out to cover one episode. Skipping.

Shimoneta 01

The premise is pretty dumb, even for anime. Somehow I suspect the show will be torpedoed by dumb romantic drama later on. May marathon at the end of the season if the impressions stay positive.

Prison School 01

High energy, lots of fun facial expressions, like Hana beating the crap out of people. Not even that lewd, relatively.

Monster Musume 01

Typical harem garbage. At least it's well animated.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
What exactly do you want a harem protagonist to be?
the mistake is in thinking i want a "harem protagonist" at all

and it's not like it's hard to give your bogstandard harem protagonist a splash of character, monmusu is so lazy it fails to even do that

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MonMusu's lead is not in high school.

Already ahead of 99% of the pack.

Puruzi

Banned

and it's not like it's hard to give your bogstandard harem protagonist a splash of character, monmusu is so lazy it fails to even do that
It's a harem. How do you not want a harem protag in a harem anime. This doesn't even make any sense. Are you arguing that you don't want any harem anime?

Like really what.

Brah if it weren't for someone on AnimeGaf who recommended this series when it first aired I would of most likely miss it as well. Thank god it was recommended because this special show would of flew right past me. I really loved every character in Barakamon, they felt realistic and had expressive personalities. You can really recommend this series to just about anyone.

For real I love how the little kids talk and act like little kids were and Naru is just the best aha. And yeah this is shaping up to be one of my favourite shows of recent time.

One of the worst 2nd episodes I think I've ever seen. This show is going to flop bad.
I sure hope not, Classroom Crisis showed promise. I am just hoping that they have presented everything they wanted to present, and that the plot starts going forward next week.

I remember watching the first episode while it was airing and liked it, but never got back to it.
Should watch it again.
You definitely should. It's really good.

Crocodile

What exactly do you want a harem protagonist to be? He actually fights for the girls at least. Dunno why anyone expects anything more.

Have hopes, dreams, hobbies, career ambitions, interesting personality quirks, an emotional range, SOMETHING, ANYTHING! As he is, he's just a cypher. I'd actually like to see a guy who I can say "yes, I could understand why any intelligent, self respecting woman would want his D - that totally makes sense." That doesn't require him to be perfect, just legitimately interesting.This also applies to the monster girls as well. Also the art & character designs are super generic. Open up tumblr for like 5 minutes and you'd be tripping over yourself over more interesting monster girl designs than the ones in Monster Musume.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's a harem. How do you not want a harem protag in a harem anime. This doesn't even make any sense. Are you arguing that you don't want any harem anime?

Like really what.

let's go through this one sentence at a time!

note the quotation marks! This means this sentence is using your posited definition of harem protagonist:
It's not that he's a loser so much as he's a nothing. Nothing distinguishs him from any other human being anywhere and the girls fall for him because he's "nice". Generic to a fault.
Dunno why anyone expects anything more.
I mean, this is basic grammar right here!

so, using your definition of harem protagonist, i remarked that i didn't want anything resembling that.

moving on,
and it's not like it's hard to give your bogstandard harem protagonist a splash of character
i didn't think this was too hard to understand either, but since you struggled: i'm pointing out that only a minimum of effort is needed to give your protagonist more substance than "He actually fights for the girls at least. Dunno why anyone expects anything more."

I expect more because A. I have standards B. i know it can be done.
but, as you so pithily remarked, "like really what".

Are you arguing that you don't want any harem anime?

I dunno, am I?

Puruzi

Banned
Have hopes, dreams, hobbies, career ambitions, interesting personality quirks, an emotional range, SOMETHING, ANYTHING! As he is, he's just a cypher. I'd actually like to see a guy who I can say "yes, I could understand why any intelligent, self respecting woman would want his D - that totally makes sense." That doesn't require him to be perfect, just legitimately interesting.This also applies to the monster girls as well. Also the art & character designs are super generic. Open up tumblr for like 5 minutes and you'd be tripping over yourself over more interesting monster girl designs than the ones in Monster Musume.
But why would you expect that though. I'd think that if there's a generic protag in almost every single harem series that people would eventually stop expecting it, but I guess not.

sonicmj1

But why would you expect that though. I'd think that if there's a generic protag in almost every single harem series that people would eventually stop expecting it, but I guess not.

I'm pretty sure Crocodile and Envelope were talking about what they want, not what they expect.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 132
XM9BwPX.jpg

You don't say./s
Mendou gets a omiai with Ton-chan's (who? I don't really remember him) younger sister, and she sort of had a sheltered upbringing.
Talk about bad first impression, a girl that has never met a man and her first one is Ataru (he ran 100 meters in 7 seconds to catch up to her, fucking Ataru).

ibyea

Banned

It's not so much expecting it as it is that shows with interesting people are better than shows with empty shells pretending to be human beings. In that case they are bringing up a reason why they find Monster Musume is uninteresting to them at the very least.

Are you legitimately saying that you don't understand why people would want to see a show put even the slightest modicum of effort into crafting an even slightly interesting story or doing even the most basic work with developing their characters?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd rather have a high school protagonist with character than an adult protagonist with no character. Bland self-inserts don't suddenly become good once they're over 18.

Sure they do. It means they have a 100% less chance of evoking bland highschool protag tropes like student councils, festivals, and after school clubs.

Puruzi

Banned
Are you legitimately saying that you don't understand why people would want to see a show put even the slightest modicum of effort into crafting an even slightly interesting story or doing even the most basic work with developing their characters?
These shows are just about tits and lewd shit. Anyone who complains about character shit in a show like this come off as tryhards who like to be negative about things.

I believe in moral relativity in the context of anime.

This is how we wind up with modern Bones.

These shows are just about tits and lewd shit. Anyone who complains about character shit in a show like this come off as tryhards who like to be negative about things.

Maybe people want shows that are about more than tits and lewd shit. Did that thought seriously never occur to you?

Is anyone who wants a show with some amount of development a "tryhard"? Is that supposed to be an insult?

Cornbread78

I just want a harem protag that plays the bad boy and bangs each one of the chicks with no regrets. The girls can all gang up and kill him later that would just make it cooler.. hehehe fuuunnnnn.

jbug617

Banned
I just want a harem protag that plays the bad boy and bangs each one of the chicks with no regrets. They girls can all gang up and kill him later that would just make it cooler.. hehehe fuuunnnnn.

that's
fake Ichika in the Infinite Stratos OVA
. He was so cool.

Hmm, watched the first episode of Aria the Animation, and am now greatly tempted to buy the DVD set. It's a great price already, but I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to wait and see if the blu-ray set comes to the west. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated.

I can see Nozomi putting out BDs for Aria in the future now that they annouced BDs for Utena, but with the three JP-BD releases going from Dec 2105-Jun 2016 it may take some time.

ibyea

Banned
I just want a harem protag that plays the bad boy and bangs each one of the chicks with no regrets. They girls can all gang up and kill him later that would just make it cooler.. hehehe fuuunnnnn.

Weren't you already roped by AnimeGAF into watching something like that?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hmm, watched the first episode of Aria the Animation, and am now greatly tempted to buy the DVD set. It's a great price already, but I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to wait and see if the blu-ray set comes to the west. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated.
No one knows. Aria probably does as well as Utena in terms of the "long tail" Nintendo kind of way, but it doesn't really have any notoriety in the same way that Utena does. I suppose it depends if their Utena BD experiment succeeds.

I will say, the Aria DVDs are perhaps the most feature packed DVDs. If you care about production interviews, cast interviews, and seeing SatoJun do his location scouting tours, then that stuff is worth the cost of the sets.

Gbraga

Eh, Prison School was alright.

The faces were pretty good, but I'm not that fond of the first episode to be quite honest. I'll probably read the manga to take a look at what's to come and decide if I want to stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom