• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Futurecard Buddyfight100 (hundred) Episode 14 engDub

Even bad writing affects my card game anime. Unbelievable.
after his 1000+ consecutive wins, plus his already winning record from Buddyfight, Gao Mikado loses!? Whats up with that. Though Ikazuchi was pretty good, and had a pretty emotional backstory. Still. I thought Gao Formation would save the day

wonzo

Banned
Yuricam isn't even close to the genius of Oretama!
yuricam17.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The whole point of Hyouka is finding beauty and magic in the ordinary and mundane. The farther away from the ordinary and mundane it would become, the more it would lose its special charm and become something else entirely. I'll agree that Hyouka's premise doesn't have a big hook or twist that will make people go "Wow, that's a really cool idea!" But plenty of series which do have such a hook in their premise end up being really poorly executed, squandering the potential the hook held. If someone needs something more than "This is a really well made show about well realized characters and well realized character interactions" to attract them into watching something, well, that's fine but they're cutting themselves off from valuable experiences that way.
I mean, part of it is that very few people have nostalgia for high school in America. And at some point people think it's sad if you consider high school the best years of your life.
I think Hyouka is probably a hard sell because if you do the elevator pitch: "Sherlock Holmes but they're all teenagers", I can see someone losing interest quickly.

I don't do it very often unlike others. Luke I'm barely negative about anything, and I've done it only a couple of times, not whenever anything I don't like is brought up.

I don't like those two shows, but I'm being silly whenever I post these types of things. I'm especially not serious about the recommendation one, but whatever. Shirobako is probably good, but I really don't care about the creation of anime so it was lame imo, and Hyouka wasn't fun enough for me, so I think it was boring.

Huh. Before you had only done it a couple of times, and not whenever anything you don't like is brought up.

Now you're just saying that you do it because you don't like those two shows, even though it's clear you've done it dozens of times more than you first claimed. The goal posts keep moving.

Will your next post see you come up with a satisfactory answer? My guess inside

Serious

Classroom Crisis 2

I'm actually quite enjoying this. Documentary went on a bit too long, but I don't mind the slow pacing at all. Plus I like the setting.

Firemind

Prison School #1

Oh wow this is actually pretty good. I particularly like how the dropped eraser subverted the trope instead of running away with it. Not sure what's wrong with the pacing. It set the premise up quite competently and ended in a way that makes me want to watch the next episode. Just another quibble from manga purists I guess. Thank you, JC Staff, for saving anime once more.

Cornbread78

What the hell is going on in here, we must stand united in here..

Time for everyone to go watch some nice comfy SoL animes and rejoice.

I mean, part of it is that very few people have nostalgia for high school in America. And at some point people think it's sad if you consider high school the best years of your life.
I think Hyouka is probably a hard sell because if you do the elevator pitch: "Sherlock Holmes but they're all teenagers", I can see someone losing interest quickly.

In fairness, I think that part of that would be due to "Sherlock Holmes but they're all teenagers" being a pretty terrible summation of Hyouka.

I mean, it's definitely a hard sell to make to a person. I tried describing it one time and couldn't really come up with a good summary for my friend, and just had to be like "yeah, that was a garbage explanation of the show, but it's really great".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In fairness, I think that part of that would be due to "Sherlock Holmes but they're all teenagers" being a pretty terrible summation of Hyouka.

I mean, it's definitely a hard sell to make to a person. I tried describing it one time and couldn't really come up with a good summary for my friend, and just had to be like "yeah, that was a garbage explanation of the show, but it's really great".

I'm just thinking quick and dirty elevator pitches. lol

My other point would be that everyone here is an anime viewer and has become immune to the fact that everything is set in high school. Once you step out of that bubble, trying to say a show set in high school with no adults is good becomes a losing proposition. Even Girl Meets World has "old cast" to make it appealing to all the adults/parents that might be watching it now.

Yeah, "Sherlock Holmes with teenagers" describes something like Encyclopedia Brown more than Hyouka.

Cornbread78

Narag has never done any wrong to me.

It's all good, it's been a joking theme in here for awhile, lol. He hasn't done me wrong (that I can remember at least, lol)

I often suggest good anime to you that you decline to watch, having been conditioned by Mike to only enjoy the terrible stuff. :(

Lol, I have watched almost everyone's recs so far, the good stuff and the bad, lol. Well, I haven't "hated" anything do far, so...

survivor

Banned
Umaru-chan 1

The anime didn't do much at all to make itself worth watching if you have read the source material. It felt just like the Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun anime where it's just so slow and I'd much rather just continue reading the manga instead.

Jarmel

Banned
So more HenSemi?

There have been anime done in a college setting but I just want more diversity in settings and age groups overall. A perfect example is Classroom Crisis which is pushing the limits of the characters and super genius teenagers when the show would work just as well if you made them early 20's. Sometimes it feels like shows bend over backwards in order to have it take place in a junior high/high school setting.

Dresden

Man my backlog is so huge I'm never going to finish this all :(

I watched Votoms (although Narag keeps adding in ovas so apparently now I have The Last Red Shoulder to watch as well) so I just have to go through Anne and I'll be at least 5% into my backlog. Such is life.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There have been anime done in a college setting but I just want more diversity in settings and age groups overall. A perfect example is Classroom Crisis which is pushing the limits of the characters and super genius teenagers when the show would work just as well if you made them early 20's. Sometimes it feels like shows bend over backwards in order to have it take place in a junior high/high school setting.
Yeah, it's weird because with SyFy settings, there's no reason to make them teenagers. I'm not even sure how they're even supposed to be relatable to otaku because they are young. Maybe it's because they want young waifus?

Imagine if the entire cast of Yamato 2199 was 15. Dear god.

I think that was more because of hikikomori-ism but I guess stuff like that and Welcome to the NHK wouldn't really work with people who aren't adults/don't live by themselves.
Honey and Clover is probably the most "normal" college life show. At least, normal enough that you could make dramas of it in Chinese and Japanese.

Although I guess even Moyashimon get a jdrama.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, it's weird because with SyFy settings, there's no reason to make them teenagers. I'm not even sure how they're even supposed to be relatable to otaku because they are young. Maybe it's because they want young waifus?

Imagine if the entire cast of Yamato 2199 was 15. Dear god.

I mean unless hyperinflation is a real thing when we colonize Mars, I can't ever see a future where a government or especially a company hands a group of kids $25 billion dollars ($50 billion inside the show) to screw around with, with little oversight.

What the hell is going on in here, we must stand united in here..

Time for everyone to go watch some nice comfy SoL animes and rejoice.

Whenever I see you write SoL, in my head I read "shit outta luck". Which I am sure isn't what you mean LOL.

Barakamon 10

Why? :'( There are 3 episodes left. All will be well. There will be more Naru!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nodame Cantabile as well!
I've never seen it, but are they in college as music majors? I just assumed they were musicians by trade.

I mean unless hyperinflation is a real thing when we colonize Mars, I can't ever see a future where a government or especially a company hands a group of kids $25 billion dollars ($50 billion inside the show) to screw around with, with little oversight.
Maybe it's like Enders Game and kids are geniuses! (herp)

javac

I watched Votoms so I just have to go through Anne and I'll be at least 5% into my backlog. Such is life.

Those two are on my backlog too, I'm really looking forward to them but its going to be a long and treacherous journey getting there. I think once I get through Treasure Island (hopefully over this weekend) I'm going to watch either Giant Gorg which looks fun...or maybe I'll watch House of Five Leaves which looks phenomenal...*argh*

I have a few longer shows to watch too that I'm incredibly excited to watch like Kemono no Souja Erin and Ashita no Joe, no doubt I'm excited to finally watch them. It's going to be a long ride, but hopefully fun all the same and I'm excited to watch them :)

Link Man

Banned
No one knows. Aria probably does as well as Utena in terms of the "long tail" Nintendo kind of way, but it doesn't really have any notoriety in the same way that Utena does. I suppose it depends if their Utena BD experiment succeeds.

I will say, the Aria DVDs are perhaps the most feature packed DVDs. If you care about production interviews, cast interviews, and seeing SatoJun do his location scouting tours, then that stuff is worth the cost of the sets.

I did decide to go with the DVDs, though just the first season for now. Even if the blu-rays do show up here, it will be far too long a wait for very little improvement (given this is an older show, after all).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We should start watchbetting movies then.
Uwe Boll's movie marathon.

I did decide to go with the DVDs, though just the first season for now. Even if the blu-rays do show up here, it will be far too long a wait for very little improvement (given this is an older show, after all).
I mean, Animation comes out in December with the rest next year. Then given how Japan is, it would take at least a year before Nozomi could even try to put it out here if they even would in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom