• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Dog & Scissors 10
vUQjxV2l.png
Underwhelming villain reveal since she was just another member of the dog's harem.

Dog & Scissors 11
They set up this huge fight and everyone's going to throw down then one of them has to go to work so I don't even fucking know.

Dog & Scissors 12 FIN

8ImMSWl.gif

===
Final Thoughts: Unless you're a Haremologist like Firehawk, please don't watch this.

Thoraxes

Euphy is close. They might be equal!
ABP was a lot of fun.
Eupho is the best thing they've ever made. It was made for me and I was made for it.

Although the best I can do are commentaries/impressions/writeups for other people, I really wish I could lend people my brain while they watch it so they could get the full, glorious experience I have when I watch an episode.

I don't think i'm ever going to get another series like this ever; one where I can leverage my field of study, my years of expertise, and memories/experiences going through the same things the characters go through in the series. I've spent over 20 years in the field of music, and to see the things I love treated with such love, detail, care, and respect is something I can immensely appreciate on an extremely high-level of understanding.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So he stays as a dog then?
The manga is still going, so they just went with a non-ending.

Dog & Scissors 10
Final Thoughts: Unless you're a Haremologist like Firehawk, please don't watch this.
WTF?????

---

Aoharu x Kikanjuu is bugging me because it's the first time I've seen a character in highschool refer to themselves in third person. At least, I assume she's in highschool.

I don't know if they're doing that because they want to do the gap moe thing and instead of your typical moemoekyun girly girl referring to herself in third person, you have a tomboy do it instead, but for some reason it's just unsettling. Doubly so since the CR guys are translating it as "I", so it just bugs me even more. lol

I just realized that the guys in this show are adults though. So I guess there's another aged up cast for you, referring to a conversation here from earlier.

Oh I forgot, they try to simulate Greengrass action/verite directing by shaking the camera via panning over the background. It's hilariously awful looking... I'd make one of them fancy webm gif things if I could bother learning how to do it.

phaze

Those two are on my backlog too, I'm really looking forward to them but its going to be a long and treacherous journey getting there. I think once I get through Treasure Island (hopefully over this weekend) I'm going to watch either Giant Gorg which looks fun...or maybe I'll watch House of Five Leaves which looks phenomenal...*argh*

Don't know the other one but HoFL is legit, I think you'd enjoy it.

Underwhelming villain reveal since she was just another member of the dog's harem.

what

Mushishi 09

It's pretty remarkable how my feelings on the main protagonist of this story went from disgust to pity and then to admiration. And it shed some light on Ginko too. Great episode.

--------

BTW, Prison School and Gangsta are getting dubs.

Dog & Scissors 10

Dog & Scissors 11

They set up this huge fight and everyone's going to throw down then one of them has to go to work so I don't even fucking know.

Dog & Scissors 12 FIN

http://i.imgur.com/8ImMSWl.gif[/mg]

===
Final Thoughts: Unless you're a Haremologist like Firehawk, please don't watch this.[/QUOTE]

Gonzo's last true masterpiece.

RIP

Acosta

Overlord

Kirito, Shiroe, step aside, we have a new and better MMO champion.

You can't be more badass if you tried.

Enjoyed this, don't know how it will develop but so far seems like an interesting take in the "trapped in a MMO genre". I liked how nostalgic felt the last moments of the game, and it was amusing following the main character reactions after the shutdown. Hopeful for this.

Ushio to Tora 1&2

I feel this is going to be one of my favorite animes this year. So far is awesome, I like the two characters a lot, the interaction between them is awesome and the mix between action, tension and humor is fantastic so far. Even the opening is awesome.

Kekkai Sensen

Why you have forsaken us? :(

The final episode better be awesome.

Mushishi 09

006518xbqm3.png

It's pretty remarkable how my feelings on the main protagonist of this story went from disgust to pity and then to admiration. And it shed some light on Ginko too. Great episode.

This is such a beautiful picture. Too bad season 1 was produced in SD.

Btw, did the movie air yet in Japan? Has anyone seen it?

I havent seen ep 2 yet, but I seem to recall it making sense to me that Tora would help him out.
i mean he did free the monster in the first place. Tora fears the spear and pissing off Ushio.

Obviously I don't want to spoil the episode for you, I'll just say I felt there was an opportunity for Tora.

That scene felt really forced, the rest of the episode had a much better flow. I feel like we need a bit more on Tora before we can buy that he would suddenly decide to save Ushio there. Otherwise the series really gets my blood pumping (along with Overlord), looking forward to the next episode.

Yeah a bit more time on their relationship would have helped I think. I'm pretty sure they will be able to build on it later and that will (hopefully)overshadow this little hiccup, because like you said this show has a lot going for it.

Quasar

Gate 2 - That was interesting, visualising many childhood whatifs about a modern army and ancient Rome or some other scenario. And it of course what would always be the grisly result. Brings back childhood memories of things like Twilight 2k/D&D crossovers and the like from my childhood gaming. Though in that case Armies of wizards flinging meteor swarms made the whole thing play out rather differently.

Prison School 1 - Yep. Somewhat close to what I recall of the manga chapters. A bit rushed though. Overall I was fine with it.

Wakaba Girl 2 - Continues to be for me a compressed version of Kiniro Mosaic.

cajunator

Banned
Obviously I don't want to spoil the episode for you, I'll just say I felt there was an opportunity for Tora.

By that I mean that I saw the original show and it made sense when I watched that, although Im not sure of the context in the new show.
so basically, Im interested on the contrast between the show I watched a decade ago versus the way they adapted the new one. It could be that they didnt convey the scene well enough.

By that I mean that I saw the original show and it made sense when I watched that, although Im not sure of the context in the new show.
so basically, Im interested on the contrast between the show I watched a decade ago versus the way they adapted the new one. It could be that they didnt convey the scene well enough.

oh okay, I just watched the same episode for the original series and this part of the scene played out pretty much the same I think.

Hyouka is like Bladerunner. Some will see the genius and the beauty, others are bored by its (admittedly) calm/slow burn, and others just didn't like it/think it's overhyped even after finishing it. But to deny it deserves a spot up there with the greats though?

I actually like this analogy lol. We obviously aren't dealing with the same calibre of quality but this is how the opinions are split for both, yeah. Put me on the "I love both" camp.

/XX/

I've been patiently looking forward to Miss Hokusai, its coming out in the UK theatrically in October. Are there any impressions of it so far?
I specially liked the impressions from Anaïs Tilly & Guillaume Lasvigne that came by way of Courte-Focale (http://www.courte-focale.fr/cinema/critiques/miss-hokusai-sarusuberi-keiichi-hara-2015/), who also did a juicy interview during Annecy International Animated Film Festival there included. Mostly because they aptly noted and did reference in clear comparison to Mr. Hara previous work of how it interiorizes and subtly drives characterization without going overboard with depictions of people rooted in a narrative solely driven by the era or ambient they live in, for this film in particular this meant a really timeless depiction of the fierce personality of the protagonist and how she went from inspiration to inspiration in a linked stream without Mr. Hara trying to shoehorn in-between a constant opinion piece of the society at the time. It seems to be a focused showcase of individuality and natural progression of talent devoid of a typically reductionist "period-piece syndrome", which I appreciate.

As I mentioned before, at the festival they organized a showing of an English-subtitled version too, so there should be some impressions written on that language somewhere around the Internet!

Andrew J.

Usagi Drop ep. 9-END
tumblr_m0hibofATo1qktqch.gif

This one is very cute throughout with our little darling above. I'm not sure why someone said she gets annoying because she doesn't really. She has some big time character growth, along with our MC, until the end. The anime itself deals mostly with adult themes like divorce and single patenthood but they do a good job of bringing that to you through multiple points of view. The only drawback for the series is that at 11 episodes, you can tell they rushed the ending a little because they could have easily continued the story especially, watching the MC try to find a wife, lol.

Oh, Grimace, what crap happens in the manga?

Nothing that doesn't also happen in
The Tale of Hikaru Genji.

Ascheroth

Ushio to Tora 2

I think this is going to be one of my AOTSs, along with Soma, Gintama and Gatchaman. This show is 90s shonen at its best and I love it. It's so full of energy every single second, there is always something entertaining happening. And Tora is probably my favourite character right now. His interactions with Ushio and his curiosity about the modern well are hilarious.

Dragon Ball Super 1
It's going to take a while until I get used to the Japanese voices, as I grew up with the German dub. But aside from that, this was fun. I liked seeing the random everyday live antics of the cast after the Buu saga. I'm curious how this will continue, especially since I think it's supposed to cover the last 2 movies with extra material before it continous with completely new material and I haven't seen those movies.

Symphogear GX 1
Amazing first episode. They absolutely nailed it. The whole intro sequence was a blast, over the top action, explosions everywhere and Nana Mizuki singing. The K2 part had me rolling on the floor, the way the guy just calmy mentioned that K2 was now only the third highest mountain in the world, like it was nothing special was amazing.
The rest of the episode was great as well and the villains look like they are going to be a fun bunch. I mean, how can you not just love villains that strike fabulous poses for no reason at all?

Charlotte 1
This was great as well! I have no idea what direction this show is going to take, but the entire first half had me laughing. Seeing how the wannabe-Lelouch-protag abused his power was great. My favourite part was his "masterplan" to get the girl fall for him. The way he just used his power to create the most cliché live-saver situation, haha.

Usagi Drop ep. 9-END
tumblr_m0hibofATo1qktqch.gif

This one is very cute throughout with our little darling above. I'm not sure why someone said she gets annoying because she doesn't really. She has some big time character growth, along with our MC, until the end. The anime itself deals mostly with adult themes like divorce and single patenthood but they do a good job of bringing that to you through multiple points of view. The only drawback for the series is that at 11 episodes, you can tell they rushed the ending a little because they could have easily continued the story especially, watching the MC try to find a wife, lol.

Oh, Grimace, what crap happens in the manga?

I still maintain that the main character guy adapted all too easily to the single parent lifestyle which kind of made the show seem too tame. And that, perverted otaku character aside, Listen To Me, Girls. I Am Your Father is the better show.

I still maintain that the main character guy adapted all too easily to the single parent lifestyle which kind of made the show seem too tame. And that, perverted otaku character aside, Listen To Me, Girls. I Am Your Father is the better show.
Heh someone didn't watch the true ending to this lol. No don't do it. Keep it the way it is, some things are better left unwatched.

Tons of Anime today. Charlotte, Working, Rokka and Durarararara. Saturdays are super hype.

Gbraga

I never watched Amagi, but I usually really enjoy KyoAni shows, even Kyoukai no Kanata, that a lot of people semed to hate when it aired. I'll have to check it out.

And yay for DurararaX2 today, can't wait to see what happens next. Somewhat excited for Rokka too, hoping for more well animated fighting scenes. Still didn't start Working, but I'll catch up to it until the end of the season.

Charlotte, eeeeeeeeeeeeh. Alright, let's watch one more.

EDIT: Man, I really miss Beck :C

Can we get a late new season?

They are both bad shows (though one is not meant to be taken seriously).....I still remember reading the continuation of Usagi drop manga......I have no words for my distaste.

amaburi was probably the lowest point of modern kyoani. even something as crappy as chuunibyou had better animation than amaburi. it didn't even look good.

I wonder if amaburi was made by an actual B-team at kyoani. it feels so out of place, even among their other bad shows.

Amagi feels out of place because the other post-2010 KyoAni productions have had something unique about them.
Nichijou had a lot of scenes with varying angles/lots of animation.
K-On!/Tamako/Kyoukai have "movie" feeling with their filters and layouts
Hyouka's color palette and layouts/camera positioning stood out
Chunibyou's contrast between reality (bright colors) and Chuunibyou (duller world) stood out
Tamako's animation and character acting made it stand out
Free's swimming/water effects were very well handled
Kyoukai's action scenes were very fluid
Euphonium's photography was a step above any other TV production and the instruments were incredibly detailed.

In contrast, Amagi only really had its color design stand out. Everything else was similar to the 2006-2010 productions from the studio. It lacked that /something/ which the others had (minus the character designs; Kadowaki is really good at those). The production scheduling wasn't bad; there just wasn't a huge creative spark from Takemoto and the staff.

Here's some more Euphonium bits from Ishihara's interview in the latest Animedia magazine.
- Instrument AD Takahashi let out incredibly cries while he was working
- His gaze while he was correcting the instruments in the latter half of the show was very scary.
- In the 12th episode, there was about 150 cuts with instruments in there that frankly couldn't have been done in a typical TV series.
- A tiny bit of a confession: the small instruments were drawn by CG, but the bigger instruments were all hand-drawn.
- When Ishihara first heard about the show, he thought the instruments should be CG, but when considered the affinity with hand-drawn character, he wanted to have the instruments hand-drawn as well. If that couldn't happen, then he felt the characters had to be done in CG too. Thus, he decided the instruments had to be hand-drawn for this show.

Jarmel

Banned
In contrast, Amagi only really had its color design stand out. Everything else was similar to the 2006-2010 productions from the studio. It lacked that /something/ which the others had (minus the character designs; Kadowaki is really good at those). The production scheduling wasn't bad; there just wasn't a huge creative spark from Takemoto and the staff.

I have to imagine that Amagi was a low key project for the studio as they were probably gearing up for the KnK movie and Euphonium. It's their worst looking show in awhile and I'm wondering whether due to the fact that they didn't own the rights had anything to do with it.

I have to imagine that Amagi was a low key project for the studio as they were probably gearing up for the KnK movie and Euphonium. It's their worst looking show in awhile and I'm wondering whether due to the fact that they didn't own the rights had anything to do with it.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. My take is that there wasn't as much creativity/motivation from the staff in contrast to Kyoukai/Free/Euphonium where you had members very excited for those works. Amagi was a favor for Takemoto and his storyboards had the most variety of the show (though I recall Fujida's were decent). I wouldn't say that it's a rights/investment issue more than a "oh, it's Takemoto's Gatou show again. Oh well, getting paid" feeling. There were a fair amount of swimmers/people wanting to see bare-chested guys and musicians in the studio, so it's clear why there was a lot of love for Free/Euphonium. It's tough to combat that with Gatou's material.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think that has anything to do with it. My take is that there wasn't as much creativity/motivation from the staff in contrast to Kyoukai/Free/Euphonium where you had members very excited for those works. Amagi was a favor for Takemoto and his storyboards had the most variety of the show (though I recall Fujida's were decent). I wouldn't say that it's a rights/investment issue more than a "oh, it's Takemoto's Gatou show again. Oh well, getting paid" feeling. There were a fair amount of swimmers/people wanting to see bare-chested guys and musicians in the studio, so it's clear why there was a lot of love for Free/Euphonium. It's tough to combat that with Gatou's material.

Well even when you compare it to KnK or say Tamako, even basic cinematography and digital effects work appeared to be lacking. There were a few episodes that looked surprisingly cheap in the sense that moderate amounts of still frames were to be used.

Gate - 02

After watching the first ep last week, I was hooked and ended up reading all the manga this week.

Loved the depictions of the battles this week, imo they're better than what they did in the manga. This ep reminds me of Civ 5, like when someone forgets to tech up and you get tanks and machine gun nests verses calvary and praetorians lol

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 66 – Tartaros Arc: Demonic Reincarnation

Scene with Natsu jumping from the stairs to kick the guards was one Ive been waiting for for months. Glad to see it animated.

Cana's card scene was her second best moment in the entire anime.

Branduil

The Boy and the Beast

As you may or may not know, Mamoru Hosoda's new film has been released in Japanese theaters. As you'd expect, it's a good film. On first impression, I don't think it's as good as his best works like Wolf Children and TGWLTT, but a good film nonetheless. As usual, Hosoda directs fully confident in his own technique and style, even when attempting shots that other directors wouldn't. He's still peerless in the anime industry in his use of montage, tracking shots, mise en scene, etc. And duckroll will be happy to know that Hosoda is using more CGI than ever!

The story is basically a coming-of-age story with a fantastic setting. The world building through the art direction is quite wonderful, and the furry world is believable in its variety and detail. That said, I didn't find the story quite as emotionally involving as his best works. And the last act takes a turn that, while not completely out of left field, feels a bit off to me. The only way I can describe it is that it turns into somewhat of a Hollywood action movie's third act. And one final thing, despite my poor Japanese I felt I understood most of the film, but one important plot point in the climax escaped my comprehension.

Cornbread78

I guess I might not want to know what happens in Usagi Drop, since it is obviously, disgusting... Would that be the reason they wouldn't bother animating a second season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom