• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

The Boy and the Beast

As you may or may not know, Mamoru Hosoda's new film has been released in Japanese theaters. As you'd expect, it's a good film. On first impression, I don't think it's as good as his best works like Wolf Children and TGWLTT, but a good film nonetheless. As usual, Hosoda directs fully confident in his own technique and style, even when attempting shots that other directors wouldn't. He's still peerless in the anime industry in his use of montage, tracking shots, mise en scene, etc. And duckroll will be happy to know that Hosoda is using more CGI than ever!

The story is basically a coming-of-age story with a fantastic setting. The world building through the art direction is quite wonderful, and the furry world is believable in its variety and detail. That said, I didn't find the story quite as emotionally involving as his best works. And the last act takes a turn that, while not completely out of left field, feels a bit off to me. The only way I can describe it is that it turns into somewhat of a Hollywood action movie's third act. And one final thing, despite my poor Japanese I felt I understood most of the film, but one important plot point in the climax escaped my comprehension.

WHENS BLU-RAY

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I still maintain that the main character guy adapted all too easily to the single parent lifestyle which kind of made the show seem too tame. And that, perverted otaku character aside, Listen To Me, Girls. I Am Your Father is the better show.

agreed, usagi drop lacks that simulated toddlercon fellatio and preteen omorashi edge you need to be considered among the true greats of the genre.

Cornbread78

agreed, usagi drop lacks that simulated toddlercon fellatio and preteen omorashi edge you need to be considered among the true greats of the genre.

Oh wow, I actually had to look up omorashi.. I've never watched that "Listen To Me, Girls. I Am Your Father" series, but damn, mix that with the title and uugghh..

One last cute one tonight, I'll start Aishiteruze Baby once I've caught up on Charlotte, Rokka, Ushio, etc..

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Someday I hope to live in a better world where Mama Is a Fourth Grader is actually translated.

Mandelbo

Oh wow, I actually had to look up omorashi.. I'very never watched that "Listen To Me, Girls. I Am Your Father" series, but damn, mix that with the title and uugghh..

Just looked it up too... I wasn't gonna watch that series before, although I had heard the name, but I think I'll make doubly sure to keep away from it now.

daveo42

Banned
Classroom Crisis Ep 2
I thought most of the "here are the A-TEC group" PR vid was meh, thought it worked well for an info dump. More interested in the other half, where it seems like the Kiryu group is actively trying to cut out Shinamiya's legacy of innovation in an attempt to boost revenue. Plus, the stuff surrounding Nagisa being a relative unknown till 16 adds a bit more to this spicy corporate intrigue.

Oh wow, I actually had to look up omorashi.. I'very never watched that "Listen To Me, Girls. I Am Your Father" series, but damn, mix that with the title and uugghh..

One last cute one tonight, I'll start Aishiteruze Baby once I've caught up on Charlotte, Rokka, Ushio, etc..

Don't listen to him, the show is fine. And by the way
in the manga for Usagi Drop the main character and girl get married.

Defuser

Damn, you know you're a popular enough seiyuu if you have a limited edition Astell and Kern AK100II of yourself.
640skq0d.jpg

Everything I hear of GATE from people who've read the Light Novels is that it goes way past nationalism and stands firmly in Rightwing Jingoistic "Japan did nothing wrong, Nippon Stronk, Those greedy Gaijin, Military should rule country" territory. I've had enough jingoism from my home country, I don't need some from someone else's.

Jarmel

Banned
GATE is amazing just for the Modern Military vs. Native Americans angle. Those dudes don't even know what barbed wire is.

The curb stompage is so good.

Tuck

The Boy and the Beast

As you may or may not know, Mamoru Hosoda's new film has been released in Japanese theaters. As you'd expect, it's a good film. On first impression, I don't think it's as good as his best works like Wolf Children and TGWLTT, but a good film nonetheless. As usual, Hosoda directs fully confident in his own technique and style, even when attempting shots that other directors wouldn't. He's still peerless in the anime industry in his use of montage, tracking shots, mise en scene, etc. And duckroll will be happy to know that Hosoda is using more CGI than ever!

The story is basically a coming-of-age story with a fantastic setting. The world building through the art direction is quite wonderful, and the furry world is believable in its variety and detail. That said, I didn't find the story quite as emotionally involving as his best works. And the last act takes a turn that, while not completely out of left field, feels a bit off to me. The only way I can describe it is that it turns into somewhat of a Hollywood action movie's third act. And one final thing, despite my poor Japanese I felt I understood most of the film, but one important plot point in the climax escaped my comprehension.
Looking forward to this one. Glad to hear its good.

Not literal Native Americans but technology-wise, they're at least early Medieval level. I don't even know if they have discovered gunpowder yet.

Wow way to burst the bubble. I was hoping all the medievil characters with terribly outdated technology had at least like trebuchets do they? That was medievil era technology. But without gunpowder they don't have cannons which means they're still defending sieges with fucking arrows. Fucking plebs.

TraBuch

Banned
I haven't been watching anime much in the last few years so I somehow missed that there was a Steins;Gate movie. How was it? I must see it.

daveo42

Banned
Gansta Ep 2
Nina is a good add to the cast. Same with the doctor. Not much else going on other than "Beware the dog" treatment for tags. This episode didn't hit me like the first one did.

Not literal Native Americans but technology-wise, they're at least early Medieval level. I don't even know if they have discovered gunpowder yet.

Oh wow. I was thinking closer to magical medieval realm. Almost seems like dropping a nuke to wipe out an ant hill.

I haven't been watching anime much in the last few years so I somehow missed that there was a Steins;Gate movie. How was it? I must see it.

It's unnecessary to the story but acts as a continuation and has heavy emphasis on the romance seen throughout the show. Personally I loved the show and wanted more, so the film was great for me.

Jarmel

Banned
Wow way to burst the bubble. I was hoping all the medievil characters with terribly outdated technology had at least like trebuchets do they? That was medievil era technology. But without gunpowder they don't have cannons which means they're still defending sieges with fucking arrows. Fucking plebs.

I don't even know if they have trebutchets. They were trying to launch an assault so they still might but for defensive purposes?

They haven't even seen the fighter jets yet. Let's see how that dragon handles a F-15.

Oh wow. I was thinking closer to magical medieval realm. Almost seems like dropping a nuke to wipe out an ant hill.

I have to imagine there will be some bullshit to level it out to some extent. Otherwise...

These dudes didn't even realize that night-time raids are mostly ineffective now due to night vision goggles and flares. One guy thought the hill was exploding because he didn't know what a mortar round was.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Usagi Drop ep. 9-END
tumblr_m0hibofATo1qktqch.gif

This one is very cute throughout with our little darling above. I'm not sure why someone said she gets annoying because she doesn't really. She has some big time character growth, along with our MC, until the end. The anime itself deals mostly with adult themes like divorce and single patenthood but they do a good job of bringing that to you through multiple points of view. The only drawback for the series is that at 11 episodes, you can tell they rushed the ending a little because they could have easily continued the story especially, watching the MC try to find a wife, lol.

Oh, Grimace, what crap happens in the manga?

Ridiculously huge Spoilers, obviously:
The second half takes place 10 years after the part in the anime. The short of it is that Rin and Daikichi get married. TO EACH OTHER. Really. REALLY.

TraBuch

Banned
Jesus, I've missed a lot over the last few years. A Steins;Gate movie? Multiple Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies? A third season of The World God Only Knows? More Monogatari after Nisemonogatari? Next I'll find out that there's some new Welcome to the NHK sequel...There's not, is there?

Gbraga

Jesus, I've missed a lot over the last few years. A Steins;Gate movie? Multiple Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies? A third season of The World God Only Knows? More Monogatari after Nisemonogatari? Next I'll find out that there's some new Welcome to the NHK sequel...There's not, is there?

Dude, Dragon Ball is back.

And Saint Seiya, but this new one is shit.

phaze

The two first Madoka movies are basically a rerun of the TV series with some improvements. Only the third one is a movie in its own right.

And no, I don't think so.

Defuser

There no sequel.

How about you list out shows you hope there are sequels to.

Saudades

Prison School 01
Due to some real life obligations only now do I have the time to watch the only show I'm hyped for this season. But I'm glad I was mostly satisfied with the adaption.
Regarding the pacing and rushing complaints, I thought the first half at least was fine - only thing I thought could use some more room was the intro (I vaguely remember the manga having a better one with a school assembly or smth), but they did do a prologue before the OP. On that note, the OP was okay for me, as barebone as it is. Only part I had a problem with was the slideshow montage of the student council members in the chorus - too static for the upbeat song.
The second half is rushed to all hell though. It's like they put all the footage in a video editor and snipped out down to the frame anything that doesn't have a line of dialogue or action. The transition between scenes suffered immensely as a result. And I wished it'd had a better ending point (the end of that chapter in the manga) instead of that cliffhanger.
But credits where it's due, when a high point hits it hits fucking hard. I remember most of this episode from the manga but it was still fucking hilarious all the same. Wish Mizushima had a better budget to work with for the rest of the series.
As for the censoring, eh, I would've preferred there isn't any since it's distracting and unnatural but those scenes don't do much for me anyway so I just try not to think about them too much.
Imagine if the entire cast of Yamato 2199 was 15. Dear god.
Don't give them ideas now!
And isn't that kinda Gunbuster? Most of the cast that counts (except for coach) anyway.
Hyouka is like Bladerunner. Some will see the genius and the beauty, others are bored by its (admittedly) calm/slow burn, and others just didn't like it/think it's overhyped even after finishing it. But to deny it deserves a spot up there with the greats though?

Even Otaku dream of Electric Waifus.
Dude how do you think up all this?
Don't really wanna delve a discussion of this, but doesn't Usagi Drop have the latter in ep 3 or something? Yeah I know it has a point in UD, but just saying.

Cornbread78

Ridiculously huge Spoilers, obviously:
The second half takes place 10 years after the part in the anime. The short of it is that Rin and Daikichi get married. TO EACH OTHER. Really. REALLY.

Don't listen to him, the show is fine. And by the way
in the manga for Usagi Drop the main character and girl get married.

Oh, um, well, umm.. Yeah, it was great where it left off..

phaze

Ushio to Tora 01
006530ahuq8.png
006533k8ul6.png
006534nmuhv.png

What great rescue plea.

I didn't know Togashi ripped a certain event for HxH 131 off this. What a hack !

I didn't really have any immediate plans to check this out as the premise sounded exceedingly generic but due to favourable impressions this received, I (thankfully) folded.

The first episode was unfortunately predictable to a fault but I suppose that's understandable. Despite that it was still a lot of fun to follow. I actually liked the humour and that's usually the first thing to fall flat for me in shows like these. The show so far is full of energy and I hope that will continue. Liking the dynamics between the main duo too. Good stuff.

I do hope that the OP is not a lie and that there will be plenty of edges to be had.

Mushishi 10

After two stellar episodes, this was a distinct stepdown.

Macross Plus 3

Idol Culture - Ruining lives since 2005.

daveo42

Banned
GATE Ep 2
I stand by my previous statement. I also find some of the talk about people loving the JSDF odd in this situation, as they just slaughtered 120k men. I'm sure the culture they are now trying to investigate will welcome them with open arms.

I have to imagine there will be some bullshit to level it out to some extent. Otherwise..

These dudes didn't even realize that night-time raids are mostly ineffective now due to night vision goggles and flares. One guy thought the hill was exploding because he didn't know what a mortar round was.

It's going to be a mix of magic and dragons. That, or this Imperial Army everyone keeps talking about that has yet to show up.

GATE is amazing just for the Modern Military vs. Native Americans angle. Those dudes don't even know what barbed wire is.

The curb stompage is so good.

Barbed wire is a pretty modern invention. There's a reason it's heavily associated with the hells of industrial warfare.

Oh? It's such a simple thing that I would have assumed it to be much older, or at least some variation of it.

I'm not sure why it wasn't invented earlier (perhaps steel was too expensive?), but it was a late 19th century invention that killed a lot of people in WWI.

TraBuch

Banned
Guess my luck's ran out. No new Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, The Tatami Galaxy, Cromartie High School, or Astro Fighter Sunred.

Someone mind helping me name a few anime I seem to remember liking?

One had a high schooler meet a girl that knew him as a kid, but he thought she was a boy. She's kind of a bitch. He joined her club or something.

Another had a bunch of people fighting over food at grocery stores. Like, literally fighting.

Another had a high schooler that moved into a new town (I think). He meets a girl that's really clumsy and rides a bike, and there's another girl that wears a space suit. Has an extremely catchy opening song.

Last one had a part in it where some woman in an eyepatch blows up a school. Or maybe she unsuccessfully tries to blow it up? Can't remember.

Edit: Oh, and there was one more. There's a character that's a schoolgirl who's a robot with a giant winding key in her back.

phaze

Guess my luck's ran out. No new Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, The Tatami Galaxy, Cromartie High School, or Astro Fighter Sunred.

Someone mind helping me name a few anime I seem to remember liking?

One had a high schooler meet a girl that knew him as a kid, but he thought she was a boy. She's kind of a bitch. He joined her club or something.

Another had a bunch of people fighting over food at grocery stores. Like, literally fighting.

Another had a high schooler that moved into a new town (I think). He meets a girl that's really clumsy and rides a bike, and there's another girl that wears a space suit. Has an extremely catchy opening song.

Last one had a part in it where some woman in an eyepatch blows up a school. Or maybe she unsuccessfully tries to blow it up? Can't remember.

Mirai Nikki/Future Diary ? But I think that was before she got the eyepatch. :p

GATE Episodes 1 & 2

Trusted Jarmel on this and lol this anime is my spirit animal. The glorious Nippon will take over the world with high spirits. The battles have all been spectacular in that militaristic ad sort of way, similar to how Battle LA was for the SEALS or whatever it was. It's immensely entertaining to see medieval era armies get fucking annihilated by modern technology.

The downside is the same as anybody else has mentioned. The fact they felt the need to include otaku shit in it really speaks volumes about the source material though. Was the author not confident enough in the ridiculous premise that he felt the need to have the "oooh i love my waifu" dialogue to make the MC and his friend relatable? Fucking A. Not every piece of fiction needs to have a badass who's also a nerd.

Also their representation of the American government was hilarious in a "foreigner's view of the US" type of way. The president is this douchey looking blonde who is all "myeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees there's a new land that is bound to have resources HEEKEKEKEKKEKEKE" I was hoping he'd have the evil oil company CEO there with him going "AND I BET THEY HAVE OIL TOO MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

While too early to give it the most entertaining AOTS award (not the biggest quality) it's going there.

Aki-at

Prison School - 1
I was going blind into this but I liked what I saw. Comedy and reaction faces are perfect, will watch more.

Shirokuma Cafe - 9
I've been watching this series on and off, it's so great to have an anime you can drop for a while but still jump back into without any interruption. This one was probably my favourite episode so far, Rin Rin's obsession and Penguin's trepidation to asking Penko out gave the best moment's of comedy so far.

There needs to be more shows about animals running a cafe.

Razmos

Haganai - I don't have many friends

Ben-To

Edit: Oh, and there was one more. There's a character that's a schoolgirl who's a robot with a giant winding key in her back.
Nichijou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom