• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Guess my luck's ran out. No new Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, The Tatami Galaxy, Cromartie High School, or Astro Fighter Sunred.

Someone mind helping me name a few anime I seem to remember liking?
One had a high schooler meet a girl that knew him as a kid, but he thought she was a boy. She's kind of a bitch. He joined her club or something.
Haganai. There is a sequel to it
Another had a bunch of people fighting over food at grocery stores. Like, literally fighting.
Ben-to. There's no sequel. Sales bombed
Another had a high schooler that moved into a new town (I think). He meets a girl that's really clumsy and rides a bike, and there's another girl that wears a space suit. Has an extremely catchy opening song.
Denpa Onna. No sequel
Edit: Oh, and there was one more. There's a character that's a schoolgirl who's a robot with a giant winding key in her back.
Nichijo. No sequel. Sales bombed.

cajunator

Banned
Guess my luck's ran out. No new Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, The Tatami Galaxy, Cromartie High School, or Astro Fighter Sunred.

One had a high schooler meet a girl that knew him as a kid, but he thought she was a boy. She's kind of a bitch. He joined her club or something.

Another had a bunch of people fighting over food at grocery stores. Like, literally fighting.

Another had a high schooler that moved into a new town (I think). He meets a girl that's really clumsy and rides a bike, and there's another girl that wears a space suit. Has an extremely catchy opening song.

Last one had a part in it where some woman in an eyepatch blows up a school. Or maybe she unsuccessfully tries to blow it up? Can't remember.

Edit: Oh, and there was one more. There's a character that's a schoolgirl who's a robot with a giant winding key in her back.

First sounds like Haganaii.

second is Ben-To
Dunno the others.
last one could be Nichijou

Last one had a part in it where some woman in an eyepatch blows up a school. Or maybe she unsuccessfully tries to blow it up? Can't remember.

1. Sounds like a thousand SOL/Harem anime so lol good luck with that description

2. Ben-To. And no it didn't get a second season

3. No clue but the space suit thing will help as prior to that it once again sounded generic.

4. Future Diary? there was a sequel movie if I recall correctly. But maybe not.

5. Nichijou. No sequel

Cornbread78

Cornbread wandering around in a daze

Lol, it's not as bad as I was thinking, but still unacceptable. He had the kid's
mother ready, willing and available for him..
a second season with that angle and a house together with that could have been special..
building a new family like hers, mine and ours scenerio

Lol, it's not as bad as I was thinking, but still unacceptable. He had the kid's
mother ready, willing and available for him..
a second season with that angle and a house together with that could have been special..
building a new family like hers, mine and ours scenerio

that's where we all wanted it to go, but the absolutely disgusting author had other plans

TraBuch

Banned
Yesssss. Thanks for all the help. Time to get caught up on the sequels I missed and maybe try to find some new stuff I might like.

Jarmel

Banned
GATE Episodes 1 & 2

Also their representation of the American government was hilarious in a "foreigner's view of the US" type of way. The president is this douchey looking blonde who is all "myeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees there's a new land that is bound to have resources HEEKEKEKEKKEKEKE" I was hoping he'd have the evil oil company CEO there with him going "AND I BET THEY HAVE OIL TOO MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

I want an anime Dick Cheney.

cajunator

Banned
Maybe Free. Chu2 and Knk were certainly not. Amaburi was mostly just a pretty standard and not very funny comedy, it never approached the lows of those two, especially Knk which is pure garbage.

Chuu2 first season was pretty good but yeah 2nd season was meh.

Can you guys open youtube just alright?

I was watching a lengthy documentary on the history of Flight a little while ago. No problems there.

Oh wow, I actually had to look up omorashi.. I've never watched that "Listen To Me, Girls. I Am Your Father" series, but damn, mix that with the title and uugghh..

One last cute one tonight, I'll start Aishiteruze Baby once I've caught up on Charlotte, Rokka, Ushio, etc..

Aishiteruze baby is adorable and pretty legit. It doesnt have a squicky manga ending either.

Damn, you know you're a popular enough seiyuu if you have a limited edition Astell and Kern AK100II of yourself.
640skq0d.jpg

Naturally, HanaKana is a goddess and worthy of such glory.

Jesus, I've missed a lot over the last few years. A Steins;Gate movie? Multiple Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies? A third season of The World God Only Knows? More Monogatari after Nisemonogatari? Next I'll find out that there's some new Welcome to the NHK sequel...There's not, is there?

You also missed Cowboy Bebop and Bubblegum Crisis getting bluray releases!

TraBuch

Banned
Ugh, sorry, last one, this should be easy. Guys falls into a river, meets a blonde lady and a man in a frog suit and a man that wears a star mask and lives with them.

Defuser

Ugh, sorry, last one, this should be easy. Guys falls into a river, meets a blonde lady and a man in a frog suit and a man that wears a star mask and lives with them.

Arakawa under the bridge. There a sequel call Arakawa under the bridge x bridge.

Ushio to tora - 2
i Wasn't expecting "THE WORLD" to see our 2 heroes in action so soon , i guess this will trigger the coming of many new ennemies. Perfect escuse for a shonen.

This show's legit , triggering so many memories of old-school anime.

Jarmel

Banned
You know, something Anime Expo and the Animator Expo has reinforced for me is that I can't wait till these damn Rebuild Eva movies are done with. So many super animators have been working on this shit for over a decade at this point and I want to see Tsurumaki direct another TV anime before I turn 40.

Also that Khara is wordplay for color.

Gbraga

Ushio to tora - 2
i Wasn't expecting "THE WORLD" to see our 2 heroes in action so soon , i guess this will trigger the coming of many new ennemies. Perfect escuse for a shonen.

This show's legit , triggering so many memories of old-school anime.

No one can hide from 「THE WORLD」

GATE Episodes 1 & 2

The downside is the same as anybody else has mentioned. The fact they felt the need to include otaku shit in it really speaks volumes about the source material though. Was the author not confident enough in the ridiculous premise that he felt the need to have the "oooh i love my waifu" dialogue to make the MC and his friend relatable? Fucking A. Not every piece of fiction needs to have a badass who's also a nerd.

The reason for the MC being a otaku is the same than why the series is about a modern army beating the crap out of fantasy romans: maximum pandering to the target market.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight: Inbound

This episode was pretty hype. Nice seeing Rui have a Gatchaman that can teleport. So it seems a new team member is incoming.

Also at Bane lol.

TraBuch

Banned
I lied, I'm back. Found a show called WataMote that sounds vaguely Welcome to the NHK-ish. Worth watching?

I never realized how much anime was shown in a year until I started looking for stuff just now, there are a crazy amount of shows I have to dig through. Is MyAnimeList basically the IMDB of anime? Or is there another better site?

Puruzi

Banned
I lied, I'm back. Found a show called WataMote that sounds vaguely Welcome to the NHK-ish. Worth watching?

I never realized how much anime was shown in a year until I started looking for stuff just now, there are a crazy amount of shows I have to dig through. Is MyAnimeList basically the IMDB of anime? Or is there another better site?
Watamote is a cringe comedy to the highest degree

Yes.

The show is more of a comedy as it's not as "serious" as NHK. The only problem is that it's too over the top sometimes which makes the show less relatable, It's still worth your time though. Tomoko is a great main character and it's really fun to see her struggles (and victories).

cajunator

Banned

Watamote is pretty interesting. Tomoko does a whole lot of embarassingly dumb things but you cant help feel for her.

there is MyAnimelist and also Hummingbird.me but animenewsnetwork has a really huge database of information. Dont rely on their reviews though.

Cornbread78

MAL is great for everything, but our recs ar better, lol.

TraBuch

Banned
Rather than looking through all this anime and not knowing if it's good or not, would anyone mind recommending me some stuff from the last few years that I might like based on what I do like?

Monogatari
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
The World God Only Knows
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Steins;Gate
Welcome to the NHK
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Katanagatari
Future Diary
The Tatami Galaxy
Cromartie High School
Astro Fighter Sunred
Ben-To
Nichijou
Haganai
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

I've also seen and liked basically all of the Adult Swim anime they showed back in the early 2000s. Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Big O, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.

I've seen Kill La Kill, Attack On Titan, and Sword Art Online, none of which I particularly loved.

Andrew J.

Durarara Ten 02

Today we learned that:

Every woman attracted to Seiji is crazy.

Every woman attracted to Seiji is crazy like a fox.

Rather than looking through all this anime and not knowing if it's good or not, would anyone mind recommending me some stuff from the last few years that I might like based on what I do like?

Monogatari
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
The World God Only Knows
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Steins;Gate
Welcome to the NHK
Katanagatari
Future Diary
The Tatami Galaxy
Cromartie High School
Astro Fighter Sunred
Ben-To
Nichijou
Haganai

I've also seen and liked basically all of the Adult Swim anime they showed back in the early 2000s. Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Big O, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.

I've seen Kill La Kill, Attack On Titan, and Sword Art Online, none of which I particularly loved.

How about Kyousougiga, Shin Sekai Yori or Dennou Coil.

Mandelbo

Monogatari
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
The World God Only Knows
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Steins;Gate
Welcome to the NHK
Katanagatari
Future Diary
The Tatami Galaxy
Cromartie High School
Astro Fighter Sunred
Ben-To
Nichijou
Haganai

From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori) is among the best for story and world building, and is personally one of my favourite animes. You should definitely give it a try!

How about Gurren Lagann. And if you liked TWGOK for the main character then you could try No Game No Life.

cajunator

Banned

Monogatari
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
The World God Only Knows
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Steins;Gate
Welcome to the NHK
Katanagatari
Future Diary
The Tatami Galaxy
Cromartie High School
Astro Fighter Sunred
Ben-To
Nichijou
Haganai

From the new world

Hastati

Charlotte 2

I was surprised that I didn't like this episode. The first one was a bit unexpected and interesting, and I still think the series has promise, but there was something off here. Maybe it was how seriously it took itself despite relying so heavily on cliched premises? The humor wasn't really balanced well, or the characterizations didn't play off the drama right, not quite sure, it just didn't work for me. Curious to see what others thought.

Uchouten Kazoku
Ping Pong
Tsuritama
Hunter x Hunter
From the New World
Mushishi

Charlotte Episode 2

Lia is much better with Angel Beats and Mekakucity Actors music, this op song wasnt memorable at all. The visuals did make it look lovely especially the middle part.

Enjoyable episode. Was just unclear for the backstory, why arent they after her anymore?

Oh and is it truly bad manners to eat on a train in JPN?

Jex

The Boy and the Beast

As you may or may not know, Mamoru Hosoda's new film has been released in Japanese theaters. As you'd expect, it's a good film. On first impression, I don't think it's as good as his best works like Wolf Children and TGWLTT, but a good film nonetheless. As usual, Hosoda directs fully confident in his own technique and style, even when attempting shots that other directors wouldn't. He's still peerless in the anime industry in his use of montage, tracking shots, mise en scene, etc. And duckroll will be happy to know that Hosoda is using more CGI than ever!

The story is basically a coming-of-age story with a fantastic setting. The world building through the art direction is quite wonderful, and the furry world is believable in its variety and detail. That said, I didn't find the story quite as emotionally involving as his best works. And the last act takes a turn that, while not completely out of left field, feels a bit off to me. The only way I can describe it is that it turns into somewhat of a Hollywood action movie's third act. And one final thing, despite my poor Japanese I felt I understood most of the film, but one important plot point in the climax escaped my comprehension.
Suffice to say, I'm jealous. Thanks for the write up.

Ushio and Tora - 2

Still awesome. I'm really enjoying the dynamic between the main duo.

Tetsujin 28-go (2004) - 16

After finishing Jojo, Evangelion, and catching up with Shokugeki no Soma, I finally return to this.

Imagawa continues to do a better job than most Gundam shows at showing how bad war is and how it screws people up.

Death Note 1
CJpxRqgUYAEYKai.png

Light is a huge step down from the movie version, he had such a hot actor there. But the L here is really good, I just dont understand why he only wears button down shits (but at least he keeps changing and looks really good and attractive), and also why is he wearing shoes in his place?

Im kind of hoping they do an tv original ending that makes the ending well written and exactly what I wanted the series to be.

English actors in this were memorable too. Lind L Tailor especially

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom