• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlotte 02

Cool episode, this show is trying to be everything at the same time and it does a pretty good job at it. I like that everyone abuses their powers for lewd things.

Charlotte Episode 2
Enjoyable episode. Was just unclear for the backstory, why arent they after her anymore?
Yeah, and why doesn't anyone realize that the whole school is full of people with special powers. Especially with the "teleporting" guy, how does nobody notice him?

Getting the tragic backstory in a bit too quick with Charlotte aren't they?

I liked it, always better than having to wait 10 episodes for it. It also helped to set the tone.

jordisok

Rather than looking through all this anime and not knowing if it's good or not, would anyone mind recommending me some stuff from the last few years that I might like based on what I do like?

Do you like sports anime? It's been quite a good few years for those, not all consistently amazing but there's a nice variety going on, Ping Pong is a must watch regardless of taste I think. (Ace of Diamond, Haikyu!!, Kuroko's Basketball, Baby Steps are my recs if so.)

I'm not too good at recs but HunterxHunter (2011) if you liked YYH even a little.

That is so tough to not be able to eat lunch while on transportation at lunch time or even dinner time.

If you're that hungry then you'd just eat at one of the small eating places in the train station itself.

Of course this is if you live in a city. If you live in the countryside and not in a big city then it might be different.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Charlotte Episode 2:

Right, so this basically is X-Men with abilities that kind of suck and this week Jean Grey gets profiled. Pretty standard stuff as well learn her tragic backstory and learn some bits about the larger game being played.

Overlord

Kirito, Shiroe, step aside, we have a new and better MMO champion.

You can't be more badass if you tried.

Enjoyed this, don't know how it will develop but so far seems like an interesting take in the "tra apped in a MMO genre". I liked how nostalgic felt the last moments of the game, and it was amusing following the main character reactions after the shutdown. Hopeful for this.
Your reactions piqued my interests and i went and watch the first ep. Interesting take on the MMO genre, we'll def keep an eye out on this one.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Charlotte 02

Cool episode, this show is trying to be everything at the same time and it does a pretty good job at it. I like that everyone abuses their powers for lewd things.

Yeah, and why doesn't anyone realize that the whole school is full of people with special powers. Especially with the "teleporting" guy, how does nobody notice him?

I liked it, always better than having to wait 10 episodes for it. It also helped to set the tone.

The actual question is whom exactly is this Professor Xavier?

Symphogear GX 02

W0fNAzm.jpg
HB5r3Rj.jpg
YX77Rzc.jpg

SYMPHOGEAR

OP is decent, nothing special. Tsubasa does crash a motorcycle in it though. The kaledioscope part of the ED is neat.

So the plot now is that a Touhou wants to destroy the world because her dad said so and she also made a bunch of robots who kiss people to steal their life energy(?) Ok.

The Noise are back as cannon fodder summoned by the bad guys again boooo. Except they are like tier 2 noise that destroy Symphogears which means MARK 2 SYMPHOGEARS YEAAAAAAAAAH

The new transformations are good and the new songs have equally laughable lyrics.

daveo42

Banned
Prison School Ep 1
Never ever be one of the first guys at an all female school. You'll end up like this. Or maybe that's what you really want anyway.

All of these guys are screwed...and not in the way they'd like. This'll be fun.

The actual question is whom exactly is this Professor Xavier?

Maybe Charlotte will have something to do with that.

Or Charlotte is a codename for that comet that comes around every few centuries because the OP and the sister made it super obvious that comets will play some part in the story.

Or maybe I'm just looking into it too much and MC is the chosen one or something, that's probably it.

Qurupeke

Charlotte 2

I liked the confrontation with the archer. They're powers are very limited but they worked pretty great with this guy.

I'd say that the mysterious benefactor is probably the same guy on the dreams. I'm not sure if that would even make sense, but it's just a wild guess. Maybe he has a memory altering ability and when he uses that he's also forgotten, or something like that. That's how he was able to take the siblings out of there without anyone (apparently) chasing them.

Phatmac

Didn't like this episode as it has characters that I kind of hate. The whole Naime/Seiji incest stuff is one if the parts I dislike and the relationship with Mika is just boring to me. They're all messed up in many ways as Mika wanting to eat a human head in order for Seiji's love just tops it off as too crazy for me. Hopefully we can focus on better characters next week.

Gbraga

Charlotte 02

That was a lot better than the first episode, actually. Not bad, not bad at all. Went in expecting to drop it after this episode for sure, but I guess I'll stick with it.

Not sold on the whole evil scientists bullshit, but oh well.

MSMrRound

Symphogear GX 02

Tsubasa does crash a motorcycle in it though.

No, not the motorcycle! How else is she going to perform her rider slash attack?

which means MARK 2 SYMPHOGEARS YEAAAAAAAAAH

Yeah, I'm getting a flashback of Nanoha season 2 where they went for the Cartridge system thing for Rising Heart and what's not. Can't wait for new forms (if there's any).

Rewatching Symphogear G while waiting for GX episode 2 also kind of reminded me that Maria is holding on to Serena's pendant. Maybe that's where she will get her new white armor from? Whip sword though. Definitely traces of Nanoha A's Signum there.

Charlotte 02

Another series with heavy mood whiplash

One minute it's like this:

and the other is about the president being a social pariah and you are supposed to take pity of her (except the reason is because she is a violent bully in her exercise of presidency so I won't pity her.)

or she telling how her elder brother
went crazy by the hand of cruel scientists.

Though it's actually a problem not only here, but in lots of anime.

Btw, shouldn't the loli imouto go to school herself instead of preparing the lunch for her brother?

Jex

[Symphogear GX] - 2

This is, undoubted, more of the same Symphogear. If you enjoy mecha X tokusatsu X magical girl X dumb writing then this show is probably worth your time. If not, avoid it. There's not really that much to it, it's just fun trash.

Unsurprisingly this can't quite live up to the manic energy of the first episode but it was pretty fun nevertheless. It's basically your standard sequel in the sense that new bad guys appear out of nowhere and they're too strong for our heroes! Which is kind of funny because last season, which was also a sequel, they avoided this particular trope by having the bad guys actually weaker than the protagonists.

This series is certainly playing to it's core audience:

While occasionally stealing borrowing scenes from Stardust Crusaders:

Also, in a rare bout of logical writing, someone actually commented on the shows' ludicrous character designs:

Shimoseka 02

The OP is incredibly dumb. The ED is great though.

I died at the part at the beginning where they are blowing stuff up for censorship and they blow up the famous "That Pool." I figured I would have dropped this show by now but no it's super entertaining.

Phatmac

So this is basically an anime X-MEN for Japanese teens. That sounds great but it's more of a SoL show. I don't feel much of anything for Tomori's backstory as her character has been annoying so far despite her best efforts of being funny. Takajou antics were good and saved an otherwise mediocre episode. The OP is forgettable which is surprising given the pedigree.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Symphogear GX Episode 2:

Those battle suits are so last season, so it means it is time to have them be comepletely ineffectual.

Gbraga

DurararaX2 Ten - 02

Can someone please remind me of the first anime's plot involving those guys? I think I remember it on general terms, but not as much as I liked. It was bugging me in the first season of X2 as well, but they weren't as important then, so I never informed myself.

Also, sibling love is a beautiful thing, right, GAF?
iCy67CS.png

You know, something Anime Expo and the Animator Expo has reinforced for me is that I can't wait till these damn Rebuild Eva movies are done with. So many super animators have been working on this shit for over a decade at this point and I want to see Tsurumaki direct another TV anime before I turn 40.

Also that Khara is wordplay for color.

You Can (Not) Escape.

Phatmac

DurararaX2 Ten - 02

Can someone please remind me of the first anime's plot involving those guys? I think I remember it on general terms, but not as much as I liked. It was bugging me in the first season of X2 as well, but they weren't as important then, so I never informed myself.

Also, sibling love is a beautiful thing, right, GAF?
iCy67CS.png
Seiji loved the head of dullahan so he captured Mika who was stalking him and had her sister Naime kill her and put the head on her body. Naime lied about this and did plastic surgery in order to fool his brother into thinking she did that in order for her to love him. Stuff happened and the truth came out but Seiji continued to love Mika since he started to like her.

Gbraga

Seiji loved the head of dullahan so he captured Mika who was stalking him and had her sister Naime kill her and put the head on her body. Naime lied about this and did plastic surgery in order to fool his brother into thinking she did that in order for her to love him. Stuff happened and the truth came out but Seiji continued to love Mika since he started to like her.

Oh, ok, the part where she stalked him and he wanted her dead with the original head in her place is what I couldn't remember. Makes a lot more sense now. Thank you!

Gatchman Crowds 02

Terrorists for 10 years old.

The series really pushes how violence isn't the solution (how it was painted like a problem when the blue crowds started to fight the red ones and how the newbie did bad in trying to defeat one) ....except that Mary Sue Hajime can use violence just ok to stop them and solve conflict.

Dropped.
Not that I expected any different after the first season, which I already disliked how it evolved.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 02

The OP is seriously amazing. I'll probably watch it every episode.

I really like that in Crowds the superheroes are celebrities everyone appreciates, whereas in most superhero media they lead double lives. I also love how nothing phases Hajime. Ever. She is unshakable.

Once again, the soundtrack is great in this season too.

Grexeno

Gatchman Crowds 02

The series really pushes how violence isn't the solution (how it was painted like a problem when the blue crowds started to fight the red ones and how the newbie did bad in trying to defeat one) ....except that Mary Sue Hajime can use violence just ok to stop them and solve conflict.

Dropped.
Not that I expected any different after the first season, which I already disliked how it evolved.
VAPE: Actively tries to kill people

Gatchaman: Actively avoid killing people

Your criticism makes no sense.

Mandelbo

lol is everyone's backstory in Angel Beats needlessly fucked up?

essentially, if memory serves.

---

Right, time to watch the Saikano OVA. I have a few hopes for it:
-I hope it isn't dumb
-I hope the story it tells doesn't feel tacked on
-I hope it doesn't retroactively make the series worse

e: it's two hours long! That's like a whole half of the original season! Maybe I won't watch it all in one go.

It wouldn't be a KEY show without a tragic backstory.

I feel like a good way to describe KEY anime is that they're like Michael Bay movies.

Only instead of huge things breaking and explosions happening all over the place, it's tragic backstories and drama. They make tons of money, have a huge audience, critics everywhere despise them, and the industry at large isn't really affected by them that much as a whole and goes about its life as usual.

Phatmac

I feel like a good way to describe KEY anime is that they're like Michael Bay movies.

Only instead of huge things breaking and explosions happening all over the place, it's tragic backstories and drama. They make tons of money, have a huge audience, critics everywhere despise them, and the industry at large isn't really affected by them that much as a whole and goes about its life as usual.
Both of them made classics(The Rock, Clannad) yet their latest works have been kinda bad. Well I'm a KEY fan either way so whatever.

phaze

Shimoneta 2

Wasn't as energetic and interesting as the first one but it's still AOTY. The 1984 of our generation.

And lol at the preview.

VAPE: Actively tries to kill people

Gatchaman: Actively avoid killing people

Your criticism makes no sense.

Your criticism of my criticism is the thing that doesn't make sense. Was I saying that Gatchaman tries to kill people or what?

In fact one of the problems of the series is how I can't believe VAPE is trying to kill people. At least, they are pretty bad at it.

Qurupeke

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 2

Good episode. The doctor student seems like a polar opposite to Rui. While he seems as smart as him and has the same means, his ideals are the opposite but apparently he has the same objective of world peace. I hope VAPE isn't the main antagonist as I don't find them as menacing as Berg Katze but I can see them eventually allying or be used from Katze. Also, I love the fact that he keeps trolling and Hajime-ssu keeps hitting him. lol

Gatchman Crowds 02

Dropped.

Give it a chance. The controversy about the Red vs Blues was that essentially it was a civil war as characters pointed out. It was only chaos when they fought. Hajime didn't actually fight them the same way, as essentially every hit is 1HKO. No damage to the area, no danger for people there. She just solves the problem.

Phatmac

Everytime someone seriously says VAPE in the show I laugh at how silly this whole thing is. The two newbies are adorable as expected. The new villain is already better than last season's villain so it's getting better.

Gbraga

Rokka 02

Very glad to see that Adlet still uses his crap to fight instead of just gaining super powers along with his marks. Both new characters are interesting, though no one in this show can dress for shit. No wonder they're complaining about cold at night.

Really wasn't expecting
the rokka killer to be one of them, even if it's not anything original at all. I guess I was just convinced it was a higher class of demon that's not just cannon fodder.

Nashetania is pretty much Vergil, but insane. Like, absolutely insane. I can't keep up with her, her character operates on an entirely different pacing than the rest of the show.

Is this supposed to be 12 episodes and done? I feel like half of it will be gathering the party, and the other half fighting the big bad demon dude, which is fine, but I was hoping for stronger demons for them to fight instead of just one actual foe and the rest of them having no chance against the heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom