• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new villain is already better than last season's villain so it's getting better.

Mi8Jf6d.jpg

Lain

Ridiculously huge Spoilers, obviously:
The second half takes place 10 years after the part in the anime. The short of it is that Rin and Daikichi get married. TO EACH OTHER. Really. REALLY.

I still don't see the problem with that. Aside from the "it's not the end I wanted to see".

Dresden

Your criticism of my criticism is the thing that doesn't make sense. Was I saying that Gatchaman tries to kill people or what?

In fact one of the problems of the series is how I can't believe VAPE is trying to kill people. At least, they are pretty bad at it.

They're called VAPE? Seems fitting.

Soma

Shimoneta Ep 02

Destroying such an iconic Japanese landmark. What monsters.

rip

This and Prison School are doing a good job at fulfilling my quota for debauchery and decadence.

Based JC Staff

I feel like a good way to describe KEY anime is that they're like Michael Bay movies.

Only instead of huge things breaking and explosions happening all over the place, it's tragic backstories and drama. They make tons of money, have a huge audience, critics everywhere despise them, and the industry at large isn't really affected by them that much as a whole and goes about its life as usual.

There's anime critics?

You criticized the show for Gatchaman using violence to defeat the Red Crowds.

No. Read again the post.
I criticized the contradictions of violence being good with some characters and bad for others (and let's be honest, the reason of the "good" part here is because Hajime can't do no wrong, if this was a more realistic show fighting in a mall full of people would be a BAD idea, even having superpowers, imagine she hits someone with one of her scissors). It's also a contradiction within the show, as in the finale of the previous season was solved when
they allowed everyone to use Crowds "for good", to stop the ones using Crowds to sow chaos, allowing everyone to be a superhero like the Gatchaman and now that isn't good?
Never mind that the scene was contrived, they showed how trying to stop them using violence is bad (result: grandma injuried) but you also have to be able to see what it didn't happen: what if thanks to the newbie's inaction, the red crows would have injured more heavily or killed to another civilian? Hajime can't stop dozens of bad guys at the same time, nor she can't be everywhere in the world if the bad guys attack different places of the world.

Grexeno

No. Read again the post.
I criticized the contradictions of violence being good with some characters and bad for others
This makes zero sense and cannot possibly be gotten from the story. As I've said, actually killing is wrong, while the heroes go out of their way not to kill, although both use "violence."

Rokka no Yuusha - 02

Rather slow first half, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'm quite impressed by Adlet's unusual arsenal and the way he's using it in battle. Certainly not the usual stuff and it feels refreshing.
Alongside the setting I also like that the monsters had an animal design to them. They didn't blend in so well with the cg unfortunately. Bad female character design aside, I think I'll stick with this show, and I'm rather excited to see how this will turn out.

Rokka 02

Female character design bothers me. We would have a big thread in the gaming forum if this would be a video game and not an anime. Actually the character design is good... what it isn't good is the skimpy outfits. It's both silly, and distracting, I can't take the characters seriously.
Well the clothes of the new guy are also silly, so I suppose there is a bit of equality in genders!

This is a fantasy with gunpowder, I find that interesting.

In any case they seem to be framing Fremy? (lol) Apart from her being in the opening, she seems wary of the brave killer, so I doubt it's herself.

Gbraga

Rokka 02

Female character design bothers me. We would have a big thread in the gaming forum if this would be a video game and not an anime. Actually the character design is good... what it isn't good is the skimpy outfits. It's both silly, and distracting, I can't take the characters seriously.
Well the clothes of the new guy are also silly, so I suppose there is a bit of equality in genders!

This is a fantasy with gunpowder, I find that interesting.

In any case they seem to be framing Fremy? (lol) Apart from her being in the opening, she seems wary of the brave killer, so I doubt it's herself.

I personally love fanservice, but the kind of stuff Rokka is doing with the outfits is servicing no one, it's just dumb. Dressing sexy is nothing if the character has no intention of being sexy.

I'll take an onsen episode with open arms, or cliched situations that only exist so one of them can see the other naked and be embarrased, I love this kind of crap, but those clothes are just dumb. I wish Nashetania's design was cooler.

Fremy's clothes being open in the front is also just as dumb, but for some reason I like her design more than Nashetania's.

This makes zero sense and cannot possibly be gotten from the story. As I've said, actually killing is wrong, while the heroes go out of their way not to kill, although both use "violence."

actually killing is wrong

Well, no shit.

They can't kill the crowds. They are spiritual manifestations, as much as I know they just can be knocked out. So no, I don't see your point.

Jex

There's something about these reactions which feels a little disingenuous.

I find it hard to believe that people who, presumably, have watched a substantial amount of anime would find something like Prison School uniquely offensive or off-putting. Have they not encountered a variety of repugnant, disturbing or raunchy things before? These reactions ready like the gentry first stumbling upon Fanny Hill. I don't buy it.

Prison School certainly has it's own, uniquely cruel, brand of depravity. It just doesn't warrant this kind of played up faux-outrage.

Phatmac

Slow start for our crew but we got some nice moments with Adlet and the princess. Wasn't a fan of the generic monster design but it was still nice to see Adlet fight smartly. This show still isn't anything special but it's decent enough to keep me watching. It's a shame the character design is terrible as the characters are slowly getting better.

daveo42

Banned
Rokka Ep 2
Not a bad 2nd episode. Started a little slow, but the exposition of what's been happening worked. Female designs are...well...not it's strongest point. CG monsters aren't really blending in well either. Still, I find the setting interesting enough and Adlet makes up for some of the show's shortcomings.

Narag

There's something about these reactions which feels a little disingenuous.

I find it hard to believe that people who, presumably, have watched a substantial amount of anime would find something like Prison School uniquely offensive or off-putting. Have they not encountered a variety of repugnant, disturbing or raunchy things before? These reactions ready like the gentry first stumbling upon Fanny Hill. I don't buy it.

Prison School certainly has it's own, uniquely cruel, brand of depravity. It just doesn't warrant this kind of played up faux-outrage.

I think they use these previews for some soap boxing half the time since most of those read like "I think this is gross and maybe you should too.". The indignation at how cruel the show apparently is reminds me of the c3bu preview.

But the elephant in the room here is that this is a gun fetish thing about little girls with massive assault rifles, handguns, and more. If it weren't a gun fetish show, I'd probably give it a yawn and a pass. If it were chess club, baseball club, archery club, meth club, whatever - but this is straight-up little girls lovingly caressing handguns and assault rifles and shooting eachother - albeit with pellets - and it's just too goddamn much given gun culture as it is now. I found the imagery of a team of smirking, smug teenagers holding up handguns tasteless at best. There's a scene where they have maps of the campus and they're planning out how to assault eachother. It made me want to turn the show off. All I could do was hope that at some point there's a storyline where one of the girls takes home a super-realistic airsoft pistol, leaves the safety off and her little sister finds it and accidentally shoots herself in the head with it. At least that would be a responsible portrayal of what happens when you allow teenagers and children to get obsessed with and fetishize guns to this extent.

It's handsomely produced, for the most part, even if it is uninteresting aesthetically - the animation is very nicely done for a show chock full of totally dull character designs and generic backgrounds. But none of that mattered to me.

Not everyone is as disgusted by gun culture as I am and if you're looking for K-ON! with assault rifles, this is it. But I couldn't stand it, and the closing credits - featuring children's crayon drawings of guns and girls assaulting eachother with guns - was enough to send me over the edge into outright disgust. As an American, someone who is terrified by our gun culture, I wasn't going to just handwave this sort of thing away with the usual cultural relativity excuses.

I say all this not to suggest that my opinion is the best or the right one, but to warn those who may feel the same way I do about gun culture and gun fetishism to stay the fuck away from this. Everyone else, enjoy, or don't.

Jex

[Gatchaman Crowds: Insight] - 2

This season appears to be moving ahead at a decent pace with a surprising amount of events being covered in a single episode. The new characters are fitting in well am I am continuing to enjoy this series.

On the less positive side of things, the animation continues to be rough with the crowd sequence looking particularly bad.

On the story front, I'm not exactly sue what the VAPE Crowds were actually doing in the mall? They appeared to be just monkeying (if you'll excuse the pun) around without actually hurting anyone or destroying anything. They didn't seem particularly menacing. I understand that, on a theoretical level at least, they could be extremely dangerous for a number of reasons. They just didn't manifest them very well here.

Working!!! 02

m64NgbTh.jpg

Daisy Punch!

This whole episode showed that just being at the restaurant is so much more entertaining than Takanashi's family. That new character sucked, I hope he doesn't come back.

The final half was good though, just your standard, enjoyable Working! episode.

Satou is also making some moves, maybe something is actually going to happen this season.

Jex

I think they use these previews for some soap boxing half the time since most of those read like "I think this is gross and maybe you should too.". The indignation at how cruel the show apparently is reminds me of the c3bu preview.

That's legitimately one of the most embarrassing things I've ever read.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 1

This has been a great start to the new season of Gatchaman. The Opening is absolutely brilliant and just amazing. The OST is still great and fantastic. The newly introduced characters Tsubusa and Gel-chan are cute. It's nice seeing the cast againg.

It's seems VAPE is going at it again. Though I wonder why they so aggressively want to create violence.

Cornbread78

Ok, what is the complaint of that new OP? That's the same singer that did "My Soul, My Beats" correct?

Not as much passion in the Charlotte one, but it is still pretty good.

So given that part of the premise for Rokka that was given in summaries, but hasn't been brought up yet is that an extra "brave" appears, I'm thinking Remy is meant to be a red herring to who the real fake is

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 2

I really like the dynamics of this new season, Hajime in the role as mentor to a girl somewhat like her but less confident is a fun element to play with. I also like the extension of the whole 'everyone is a hero' thing by making crowds just as easily 'everyone is a villain'. Gatchaman Crowds continues to be a very different kind of action show and very refreshing even if it's not for everyone.

KazenY2J

I personally love fanservice, but the kind of stuff Rokka is doing with the outfits is servicing no one, it's just dumb. Dressing sexy is nothing if the character has no intention of being sexy.

I'll take an onsen episode with open arms, or cliched situations that only exist so one of them can see the other naked and be embarrased, I love this kind of crap, but those clothes are just dumb. I wish Nashetania's design was cooler.

Fremy's clothes being open in the front is also just as dumb, but for some reason I like her design more than Nashetania's.
I think this girl has the best design out of the others.

@WTK
Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (sub) is starting to stream in U.S. @ Crunchyroll: crunchyroll.com/yu-gi-oh

Now if they get Zexal for US, I can watch all YGO series simultaneously.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 Episode 1

Will probably forget all the english names after this, its been so long Ive forgot some of the plot.

In any case, proof that Destiny Board > Exodia, so long to get all the pieces in hand, but Yami Yugi did it.

Ive missed Mokuba!
CJqkhEGUkAAd-9H.jpg

Mandelbo

Saikano OVA

So it turns out it actually wasn't two hours long, it's just that the back of the box and the DVD menu were misleading. Overall it was pretty decent, but it wasn't perfect by any means. My thoughts are as follows:

I'm very glad we finally got an explanation as to why the military had to use Chise when making the ultimate weapon. Honestly, I was expecting to fill this post with a rant about why the logic behind choosing her became even more bizarre due to the OVA introducing a prototype weapon developed from someone already in the military, but the explanation given satisfied me:
Even though there are a few more questions that crop up as a result of this, such as whether the military knew Chise would be a good weapon before they abducted her or if they only found out after the fact, this explanation is better than no explanation.

There are however a few issues I had - it's worth mentioning that the OVA explicitly takes place alongside the main story rather than being an alternate timeline/universe or something like that. The biggest problem is that Mizuki seems like a fairly important character who has a close relationship with Chise, yet we never hear about her in the main series. There are a number of scenes where it feels as if she's just been pasted in, perhaps most obviously in the city-levelling scene which originally happened at the end of episode four (?). In the main series we see this event occur almost in its entirety, which makes the OVA version jarring in comparison because Mizuki intervenes in Chise's actions very heavily, which doesn't seem like something that's unimportant enough to be left out. Another example would be the scene originally at the end of episode two (three?) where Chise tries to run away with Shuji but gets stopped by the military before she can reach the train station. Here Mizuki takes an active role in persuading her to fight alongside them, but again she wasn't there in the original series. This results in the execution being quite awkward, especially given Chise's fondness for Mizuki and her obvious sadness when
she sacrifices herself,
none of which is in the original despite its apparent importance.

This problem leads to another, which is that Chise's close relationship with Mizuki downplays the isolation her character suffers in the original series. Part of the sympathy we have for her is due to the fact that no one can understand her, which Shuji doesn't recognise. The inclusion of Mizuki dilutes this, which in a way makes that aspect of the show less genuine in retrospect.

I also took issue with the amount of nude scenes there were. In the original, there was never any actual full on nudity, despite the issue of sex being fairly prominent. It always seemed to go out of its way to avoid doing so, almost as of it didn't want the weight of such moments to be overshadowed by the nudity itself. Of course, while the nudity wasn't excessive, especially compared to some anime out there, it was noticeably increased from the original series for, as far as I can tell, no real reason. For example, there is a shower scene with Mizuki which lasts all of ten seconds and is completely inconsequential - in the next scene she is in a completely different setting doing something completely different anyway, so they may as well have just cut the shower scene and started from the scene after. Again, this wouldn't be so strange an occurrence had the original series not been so reserved in this regard. There are also a fair few scenes where Chise is nude too, which came off as a little weird to me and again, were completely unnecessary. The only reason I can think of for the inclusion of actual nude scenes is because it's an OVA and they felt like they could get away with it here. They certainly serve no other purpose.

Also, I can't remember if this was in the original or not but I did like this guy's hat:
There was also a tank which had "CHISE! SAVE ME!" graffiti'd on it with a chibi Chise face in the middle of it, but I didn't take a screenshot of that.

Overall, you should probably give this a look if you enjoyed the original series, as it provides quite a bit of background information on what actually happens to Chise over the course of the show and shows us the events of the story from the military's perspective, letting us see exactly what they think of Chise and how they attempt to deal with her not "having the will to fight". Spoiler:
they're assholes
e: Also Shuji's basically not in it at all! Rejoice!

Cornbread78

Charlotte ep.2
Ok, I'm definitely going to like this show if they keep this pace up. They do an excellent job mixing in action, comedy and serious moments. Also, from the last couple mins., they better
leave Ayumi alone
dammit, they already planted the seeds, uugghh.

Also, the new OP and EP are pretty damn good..

Now if they get Zexal for US, I can watch all YGO series simultaneously.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 Episode 1

Will probably forget all the english names after this, its been so long Ive forgot some of the plot.

In any case, proof that Destiny Board > Exodia, so long to get all the pieces in hand, but Yami Yugi did it.

Ive missed Mokuba!
CJqkhEGUkAAd-9H.jpg
Zexal is awful and not worth anyone's time, and I'm saying this as someone who somehow managed to watch the whole thing

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 2

Good episode. Tsubasa and Gel-chan fit right in with the whole cast. I loving the fact that crowds can both be heroes but also villains. The main Villain himself is quite different than Katze in the way he handles things.

I really love Katze and Hajime's interactions it's just so fun.

Razmos

Symphogear GX episode 2: "What happened to your clothes?" indeed, I've been thinking the same thing.

I'm loving the homonculus girls, and the batshit crazy one hasn't even been introduced yet, awesome.

Episode 2 and the cliffhangers have begun already, amazing. I look forward to more insanity in the future.

Ushio & Tora 2

Just awesome, I had a huge smirk on my face the whole time and the action at the end was fantastic. Can already tell the interactions between Ushio and Tora are truly going to make this show something special and if it gets as hype later on as manga gaf has said we're in for a wild ride.

Sterok

Nagato Yuki 15

Beach. Fanservice. Test of courage.

Charlotte 2

Teleporting guy is by far the best. Taking on the archer guy was actually decent. Nice to see how they usually work. Nao is okay, but not really clicking with me. Yu is still decent at least. Sudden mood whiplash to tragic backstory. Came faster than I anticipated. They'll probably be dealing with asshole scientists in the future. This should be fairly solid overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom